ADVERTISEMENT

The Honest Pessimist in You

Feb 25, 2008
Sounds like a book title, right?

Anyway, this is not gonna go over well for some, but it needs to at least be thrown out there in the universe given the circumstances..........

First of all, I'm putting off the thread on why Brian Ferentz has the wrong QB (style) running his "system", and how getting the right QB (style) would make a world of difference, even with a work-in-progress OL.

As a Vikings fan, as well, I can attest to what this looks like, because it's been like watching a f***ing rerun of Saturday's sh** 24 hours later, for the past 15 years or so............

But that's not what we're here to make people salty about.

No, this is a thread about failure.

And I'll make this quick so that I don't waste too much of your time reading, and you can get right to typing a reply. ;)

Let's harken back a few years to right about the time that we were recruiting for the next group of QBs to potentially replace Nate Stanley. (aka whatever class Spencer Petras was in...was it 2017? I'm not looking it up now. I don't follow recruiting, as it is.)

I'm sure by now, we have heard the stories about how Spencer came to be in our possession. And I'm sure most remember who else was being looked at by Ken O'Keefe and co, as potential prospects as well.

But for those that don't, let me enlighten you. One is currently a starter for the New York Jets. The other is the potential successor to Jimmy Garoppolo in San Francisco.

Yes, that's right. At one point, or another during Spencer's recruitment, Iowa was in on both Trey Lance (who spent one season at North Dakota State, and threw 28 TDs to no interceptions, and won a national championship), and Zach Wilson, whose prolific passing helped bring BYU back into the national spotlight.

First of all, it is natural (or BAU), that Iowa either couldn't land those guys, or ended up going with the guy we have now.

Secondly, and this is why the thread is titled what it is.....

Don't you think deep down, both those guys are counting their lucky stars they ended up where they did, as opposed to the NFL Quarterback graveyard that is the University of Iowa, under Kirk Ferentz? (yes there's been exceptions to the rule that you can count on one hand)

I mean would anyone honestly be able to say that either of those guys would've developed better under or would've maximized their potential at the University of Iowa under Kirk and Ken and Brian, as opposed to f***ing BYU or North Dakota State?.........

I get that you can play the hypothetical too, but if you honestly believe that they would've become the highly-sought NFL prospects they became, had they gone to Iowa.....well, then I have some tap water from Ames to sell you.

And knowing that about Iowa with this staff.........that's a f***ing problem. And until they admit it, and do something to truly fix it, and actually get it right, and not make excuses, and not settle........it will continue to be a f***ing problem.

That's my honest pessimistic take. What's yours? :D

we have one of the youngest Olines in the country...... we’ve always been a developmental program and consistently losing players early to the NFL is part of why we have Tackles playing before they’re probably ready
all that being said we’re 6 and 1 and help me out what’s Spencers record as a starter? you’re calling him out you must know
if he had as much time in a clean pocket as Purdue’s qbs did he would look a lot better

Hindsight is 20/20 on Lance & ZW.
Everything starts with the O-Line now. Can’t run when first contact is 2yds behind line of scrimmage. Can’t pass with < 2sec from snap to go through progressions. If the OL was solid, you’d be seeing some insane numbers from SP, kid can sling it.

Hindsight is 20/20 on Lance & ZW.
Everything starts with the O-Line now. Can’t run when first contact is 2yds behind line of scrimmage. Can’t pass with < 2sec from snap to go through progressions. If the OL was solid, you’d be seeing some insane numbers from SP, kid can sling it.
We may never know how good Petras would be with solid protection. He has thrown some great passes when the pocket held.

In other words…..it doesn’t fit with your “everything is just fine” belief.
LOL, everything isn't fine. We still have a trash oline and, to put it nicely, an extremely inconsistent QB. Nothing's changed from what I saw at the beginning of the season. I'm just not hysterical like a 5th grade girl like most of the posters here are because I saw enough to know we weren't the #2 team in the country, and that's fine.

I know the margins for a team like Iowa are thin enough that we're bound to have off days and lose. That's why I tried to remind people before and after the PSU game we weren't going to the playoffs and to enjoy this while it lasted. Judging by the dipshit-o-meter that is this board (a pretty accurate barometer, I might say) a lot of people aren't capable of that. Even pessimistic people with 7-5 predictions, such as yourself, are somehow floored the team let down for a week.

It's just comical to me. Especially when you have people that have barely posted in the last 3 weeks suddenly 40+ posts deep and seemingly about to jump at any minute. It's honestly when this board is at it's best.

Iowa is one of the last power conference opportunities for a guy who is big, slow and with a "cannon arm who can make all the throws".
Outside of Linderbaum, the line is not good. But that's exactly why it makes no sense to bring in qbs who are statues. As noted in another thread, Iowa produces lots of good individual O-linemen but isn't really better than average in the conference at producing good O-lines as a unit. Not only that, but you are eliminating a key element of many, if not most, D-1 offenses and that is the qb being a threat as a runner. QBs at the college level aren't being paid multi-millions of dollars per year(even at alabama). They can actually be considered an offensive option to run it on a somewhat regular basis, not just a qb sneak, and the franchise isn't at risk of losing that multi-million dollar investment.

Iowa has who they have in the qb stable. I can't say that anybody behind the current starter is a better answer. From what little I've seen of the others, Petras is the best they can put on the field right now. But I think that's a big part of the problem. Seems like poor planning to set up your offensive philosophy such that it only works if you have a top pass protecting line that gives your slow footed but "big armed" qb forever and a day to throw. Particularly when you have a small wr corps that struggles to get separation.

we have one of the youngest Olines in the country...... we’ve always been a developmental program and consistently losing players early to the NFL is part of why we have Tackles playing before they’re probably ready
all that being said we’re 6 and 1 and help me out what’s Spencers record as a starter? you’re calling him out you must know
if he had as much time in a clean pocket as Purdue’s qbs did he would look a lot better
Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl with Baltimore, the team won in spite of him, not because of him.

LOL, everything isn't fine. We still have a trash oline and, to put it nicely, an extremely inconsistent QB. Nothing's changed from what I saw at the beginning of the season. I'm just not hysterical like a 5th grade girl like most of the posters here are because I saw enough to know we weren't the #2 team in the country, and that's fine.

I know the margins for a team like Iowa are thin enough that we're bound to have off days and lose. That's why I tried to remind people before and after the PSU game we weren't going to the playoffs and to enjoy this while it lasted. Judging by the dipshit-o-meter that is this board (a pretty accurate barometer, I might say) a lot of people aren't capable of that. Even pessimistic people with 7-5 predictions, such as yourself, are somehow floored the team let down for a week.

It's just comical to me. Especially when you have people that have barely posted in the last 3 weeks suddenly 40+ posts deep and seemingly about to jump at any minute. It's honestly when this board is at it's best.
Lol, love it. Pessimistic realist, but not self-admitted, and yet settles for "whatever our record is be happy with it."

Impressive. :D

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl with Baltimore, the team won in spite of him, not because of him.
And these instances have happened how many times in the history of the NFL or college football? And guess what, it's not going to happen with Iowa this year either so really not understanding your point.

And these instances have happened how many times in the history of the NFL or college football? And guess what, it's not going to happen with Iowa this year either so really not understanding your point.
It will if our opponents get back to f***ing cooperating with us......

Very few, name some other than Baltimore, I remember none in D1.

Iowa doesn't need a "dual threat" QB. To me it is painfully obvious that Iowa's offense would be substantially more potent if the QB is (1) elusive and (2) mobile -- CJ Beathard level ability to move away from pressure AND the willingness to tuck and run for a first down just 3 or 4 times per game. Defenses have zero respect for Petras to do either and that is a Defensive Coordinator's dream.

I already know how Jim Leonhard (Wisconsin DC) is planning to defend against Iowa. Iowa will be running straight into 8-9 man fronts as Wisconsin moves their Safeties forward, Iowa wideouts will get press coverage and on passing downs, blitzing LBs from every conceivable angle. Put Iowa in 2nd/3rd and long then release the hounds. Petras will be a sitting duck for a QB sack or desperation throwaway.

Iowa doesn't need a "dual threat" QB. To me it is painfully obvious that Iowa's offense would be substantially more potent if the QB is (1) elusive and (2) mobile -- CJ Beathard level ability to move away from pressure AND the willingness to tuck and run for a first down just 3 or 4 times per game. Defenses have zero respect for Petras to do either and that is a Defensive Coordinator's dream.

I already know how Jim Leonhard (Wisconsin DC) is planning to defend against Iowa. Iowa will be running straight into 8-9 man fronts as Wisconsin moves their Safeties forward, Iowa wideouts will get press coverage and on passing downs, blitzing LBs from every conceivable angle. Put Iowa in 2nd/3rd and long then release the hounds. Petras will be a sitting duck for a QB sack or desperation throwaway.
I have been saying Iowa’s offense will be lucky to cross the 50 against Wisconsin.

Anyway, this is not gonna go over well for some, but it needs to at least be thrown out there in the universe given the circumstances..........

First of all, I'm putting off the thread on why Brian Ferentz has the wrong QB (style) running his "system", and how getting the right QB (style) would make a world of difference, even with a work-in-progress OL.

As a Vikings fan, as well, I can attest to what this looks like, because it's been like watching a f***ing rerun of Saturday's sh** 24 hours later, for the past 15 years or so............

And I'll make this quick so that I don't waste too much of your time reading, and you can get right to typing a reply. ;)

Let's harken back a few years to right about the time that we were recruiting for the next group of QBs to potentially replace Nate Stanley. (aka whatever class Spencer Petras was in...was it 2017? I'm not looking it up now. I don't follow recruiting, as it is.)

I'm sure by now, we have heard the stories about how Spencer came to be in our possession. And I'm sure most remember who else was being looked at by Ken O'Keefe and co, as potential prospects as well.

But for those that don't, let me enlighten you. One is currently a starter for the New York Jets. The other is the potential successor to Jimmy Garoppolo in San Francisco.

Yes, that's right. At one point, or another during Spencer's recruitment, Iowa was in on both Trey Lance (who spent one season at North Dakota State, and threw 28 TDs to no interceptions, and won a national championship), and Zach Wilson, whose prolific passing helped bring BYU back into the national spotlight.

First of all, it is natural (or BAU), that Iowa either couldn't land those guys, or ended up going with the guy we have now.

Don't you think deep down, both those guys are counting their lucky stars they ended up where they did, as opposed to the NFL Quarterback graveyard that is the University of Iowa, under Kirk Ferentz? (yes there's been exceptions to the rule that you can count on one hand)

I mean would anyone honestly be able to say that either of those guys would've developed better under or would've maximized their potential at the University of Iowa under Kirk and Ken and Brian, as opposed to f***ing BYU or North Dakota State?.........

I get that you can play the hypothetical too, but if you honestly believe that they would've become the highly-sought NFL prospects they became, had they gone to Iowa.....well, then I have some tap water from Ames to sell you.

And knowing that about Iowa with this staff.........that's a f***ing problem. And until they admit it, and do something to truly fix it, and actually get it right, and not make excuses, and not settle........it will continue to be a f***ing problem.

Yep, it certainly seems they screwed the pooch on that one, assuming either of those guys would have actually come to Iowa.

I'll tell you something about this coaching staff that you may not know - they are not even close to perfect. ;)

I'll agree that it is a mystery -the Hawks had GREAT success with Banks and Beathard. Wouldn't one think they would try harder to get a running QB under center?

Iowa wants to be a running team - what better way to do that than to have a running QB in the backfield so they can't simply focus on the RB?

Why does Iowa lose to Purdue?

Whatever the answers are, that's what you get with this coaching staff. The are "consistent" (i.e. stubborn) and have delivered generally very good results. I guess, until KF departs, we will have to take the bad with the good.

Then, we can pick on the next guy!

Iowa doesn’t need a dual threat. They just need someone that can tuck and run and get 5-10 yards when things break down or keep the play alive for coverage to break down. Petras is an absolute statue. It’s discouraging.

Very few, name some other than Baltimore, I remember none in D1.
Tampa Bay

As for college, the only one in recent memory, and it's arguable, is 2011 Alabama when they mostly won with defense despite having all the elite players.

A.J. McCarron was their QB, and he is a dictionary definition of being boosted up by the talent around him. That's not to say that he wasn't a great upper tier college pocket passer QB, but let's not pretend he was this elite QB prospect. He was a 5th Rd draft pick and started 4 games in the pros, primarily serving as a backup for mediocre franchises.

Iowa doesn’t need a dual threat. They just need someone that can tuck and run and get 5-10 yards when things break down or keep the play alive for coverage to break down. Petras is an absolute statue. It’s discouraging.
Kirk, Ken and Brian (but deep down not really) ideally want Peyton Manning to run their offense.

In reality, all we need is Eli.

Besides, the guys we get to be picture perfect pocket passer statues, have never exactly been all that accurate, and outside of Stanley, who to this point was basically never given a shot in the pros (blame covid), they aren't lighting up the record books either............

i get we are young with Colby starting on the right side, but Ince/Schott,Tbaum,Britt/Plumb/Dejong are all 3 yr plus guys on campus. So basically everyone but Mason has been in the program for three + yrs and they are not showing much if any improvement thru the yr. i get 1st/2nd yr guys struggling, but the guys above have played many snaps before this yr.

Since we're on this pessimistic kick, let's go ahead and get this one out of the way as well................

Given that we're trying to avoid what would amount to an abhorrent, abject, and absolute failure by this coaching staff should Iowa go on to not win the West Division, I want to throw some unfortunate facts out there:

Those are the years that Iowa finished with a winning record following a loss to Purdue, out of the 50 times we've lost to them.

In only one such instance, did we go on to even win 10 games (2003)
*- 2020 being an outlier year in all regards for obvious reasons

Our best conference finish in those years?

3rd place in 1982, with a few t-4ths mixed in.

So needless to say, if this coaching staff wants to avoid what would amount to a MAJOR, UNRETRACTABLE f*** up.........they're gonna have to do something that's never been done before in the history of Iowa football.

That little tidbit should get the eternal pessimists on this board nice and hard.

:D

Reactions: 83Hawk
giphy.gif

That's exactly what they'll do. Iowa's only hope is to hit one big one for a TD(Tracy a few years ago). Which is possible, Wisconsin's secondary isnt very good or disciplined

Last edited:
young is only an excuse when young isn't good enough. isn't KF supposed to be this oline guru? who's responsible for getting these kids ready? they know when someone is good enough to go early, therefore they are responsible for getting someone else ready to fill the hole. losing dudes to the NFL early shouldn't be an excuse, it should be a freaking selling point!

Johnson and Bruce need to play more for starters. They can both hit a home run at any time. Tracy has dropped more balls than he's caught this year. I have nothing against the guy but he's been a major disappointment this year. He really hasn't brought anything to the table.

I think you have a pretty good assessment of the circumstances. I was going to post this in your survey thread that I think there is a disconnect with regards to coaching on the offensive side. It seems pretty conclusive that while KF allows Brian more leeway than he did previously, it still becomes obvious he still has the final say. There does not seem to be any interest in a dual threat quarterback. They even said after the Penn State game was some of the reasoning regarding Clifford getting hurt. Maybe they don’t settle on dual threat, but they need a quarterback who can get himself out of trouble when the line breaks down, which seems to be the normal this season.

I think you have a pretty good assessment of the circumstances. I was going to post this in your survey thread that I think there is a disconnect with regards to coaching on the offensive side. It seems pretty conclusive that while KF allows Brian more leeway than he did previously, it still becomes obvious he still has the final say. There does not seem to be any interest in a dual threat quarterback. They even said after the Penn State game was some of the reasoning regarding Clifford getting hurt. Maybe they don’t settle on dual threat, but they need a quarterback who can get himself out of trouble when the line breaks down, which seems to be the normal this season.
They need a qb that can at least run a damned bootleg so they can move the pocket away from guys like Karlaftis. Petras can't and it's getting him hit harder than RGIII vs. The Chargers most of the times we pass the ball.

young is only an excuse when young isn't good enough. isn't KF supposed to be this oline guru? who's responsible for getting these kids ready? they know when someone is good enough to go early, therefore they are responsible for getting someone else ready to fill the hole. losing dudes to the NFL early shouldn't be an excuse, it should be a freaking selling point!
I mean, you can't coach size dude. The biggest thing our tackles need to be doing is eating some damned pancakes and doing lots of squats and cleans.

Since we're on this pessimistic kick, let's go ahead and get this one out of the way as well................

Given that we're trying to avoid what would amount to an abhorrent, abject, and absolute failure by this coaching staff should Iowa go on to not win the West Division, I want to throw some unfortunate facts out there:

Those are the years that Iowa finished with a winning record following a loss to Purdue, out of the 50 times we've lost to them.

In only one such instance, did we go on to even win 10 games (2003)
*- 2020 being an outlier year in all regards for obvious reasons

Our best conference finish in those years?

3rd place in 1982, with a few t-4ths mixed in.

So needless to say, if this coaching staff wants to avoid what would amount to a MAJOR, UNRETRACTABLE f*** up.........they're gonna have to do something that's never been done before in the history of Iowa football.

That little tidbit should get the eternal pessimists on this board nice and hard.

:D
I'm getting killed on the other board for pointing out that Perdue and Minnesota were the only two games we couldn't drop and still be in the driver's seat for the West, and how inexplicable that they didn't keep a tight end in to double team Karlaftis (Whar do you throw the ball then?). Or smack Bell off the line and bracket cover him (well the the other guys will kill you then. The closest receiver to Bell in yards had 58 yards. Let Bell get 120 the Hard Way, that's 1 td. So the other guy gets what 70 then? That's two tds. SMH).

Sometimes, yA gotta play checkers instead of chess. Iowa wasn't willing to risk anything and lost it all in pre flop antes.

I'm getting killed on the other board for pointing out that Perdue and Minnesota were the only two games we couldn't drop and still be in the driver's seat for the West, and how inexplicable that they didn't keep a tight end in to double team Karlaftis (Whar do you throw the ball then?). Or smack Bell off the line and bracket cover him (well the the other guys will kill you then. The closest receiver to Bell in yards had 58 yards. Let Bell get 120 the Hard Way, that's 1 td. So the other guy gets what 70 then? That's two tds. SMH).

Sometimes, yA gotta play checkers instead of chess. Iowa wasn't willing to risk anything and lost it all in pre flop antes.
i agree with you, but our injuries did not help us. Moss was a big loss as he is a better press cover corner than Hank. also Ince being out on the left guard moved some guys around on the line. Our depth has always been a problem. Purdue had the same issue with a few key guys missing vs Minn. we got lucky with Penn State and unlucky with Purdue. Hopefully our recruiting can continue to improve to solve our depth issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT