ADVERTISEMENT

The Lloyd Austin fallout is growing: ‘Someone’s head has to roll’

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
Weird situation…

At a White House meeting last week, Jake Sullivan, the national security adviser, noticed that Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin was absent. A top Pentagon official, Sasha Baker, was there in his place.

There was nothing obviously unsettling about this. Austin was scheduled to work from home and lower-level aides often sit in for their boss
But what neither Sullivan nor Baker knew at that moment was that Austin was already hospitalized at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, with complications from an undisclosed surgical procedure.
Days later, Austin’s secret hospitalization has spiraled into a drama engulfing the upper echelons of the Biden administration. Senior White House officials are struggling to answer questions about who knew what, and when, about the former general’s medical emergency. Criticism is pouring in from Congress and the media.
And since the Pentagon went public with the situation Friday night, new reports are coming in, including POLITICO’s disclosure on Saturday evening that the Pentagon had not informed President Joe Biden or the National Security Council for days that Austin was indisposed.
The strange saga has fixed Washington on one question: What is going on with the secretary of Defense?
White House and Pentagon aides insist that Austin’s job is not in jeopardy — at least not yet. But they are sticking to that line despite seeming to lack full information about what’s actually been going on at the Pentagon. The precise nature of Austin’s surgery, medical complications and even his current condition remain unclear or addressed only in vague terms. Senior Defense Department and White House officials still don’t know the details of the procedure.

There has also been no accounting yet for the decision to withhold information about Austin’s medical emergency from the public and even the president.

That eventual disclosure blindsided Austin’s close colleagues. Austin joined a White House meeting about attacks in the Middle East by Iran-backed proxies by phone on Jan. 1 — the same day he was hospitalized. Baker’s appearance at another White House meeting last week — this one about the deteriorating situation in Haiti — did not raise any eyebrows.

So officials were shocked when Kelly Magsamen, Austin’s chief of staff, sent an email to top DOD civilian and military officials only two hours before the Pentagon publicly announced the secretary’s hospitalization on Friday. The email was bare bones, containing no more information than the public statement. DOD notified Congress about the news only 15 minutes before the official statement.

And throughout the week, Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks had to partially and occasionally assume the duties of her boss while on vacation in Puerto Rico.
The series of events, detailed to POLITICO by 10 current and former U.S. officials who were granted anonymity to discuss a sensitive matter, has raised questions about why Austin and his team went to such lengths to keep his situation under wraps. It’s also caused a major embarrassment for an administration that prides itself on professionalism, communication and teamwork — especially as it contrasts itself to the chaos of Donald Trump’s presidency.

This has been an evolving situation, in which we had to consider a number of factors, including medical and personal privacy issues,” said Maj. Gen. Patrick Ryder, the Pentagon’s chief spokesperson. The secretary resumed full duties Friday evening following his recovery, but Ryder provided no update on when Austin would be discharged.
Austin likes to wield his influence behind closed doors, shunning the spotlight and avoiding the press. But his relationship with Biden has been seen as close and until this point he had not faced criticism — from within or outside the administration — for operating in an erratic way.

Austin is already trying to clean up one of his rare public missteps.

“I recognize I could have done a better job ensuring the public was appropriately informed. I commit to doing better,” he said in a Saturday statement following the POLITICO report about the three-day gap between his hospitalization and the White House learning about it. “This was my medical procedure, and I take full responsibility for my decisions about disclosure.” Austin didn’t address failing to notify Biden.

The secretary’s unexplained absence is coming at a difficult time. Tensions in the Middle East are skyrocketing, with the Pentagon forming plans to strike Houthis in Yemen for attacking ships in the Red Sea. Hezbollah seems poised to escalate its fight with Israel just as Israel transitions to a less-intense phase of its war against Hamas in Gaza. Meanwhile, Western resolve toward Ukraine is waning, and there’s little sign that Congress will pass billions for more military aid as Republicans and Democrats first hash out a border security deal.

• Wow
Reactions: Scruddy and h-hawk
Pretty crazy. How he thought that was appropriate is beyond stupid.

With all the National security issues going on in the world it’s completely nuts he did that.
About the only thing I can think of is that it started as something relatively simply and quickly spiraled from there.

How they went from that to the bizarre attempts to keep everything else I have no explanation for. Obviously, once he went in for whatever the surgery/procedure was, POTUS and relevant people in Congress should have been told.

Austin’s #2 didn’t know for 2 days…
Hicks, who began assuming some of Austin’s responsibilities on January 2, did not know that it was because Austin was hospitalized, two defense officials told CNN. Hicks was on vacation in Puerto Rico at the time and was not informed of Austin’s hospitalization until the afternoon of January 4, the officials said.

Austin’s #2 didn’t know for 2 days…
Hicks, who began assuming some of Austin’s responsibilities on January 2, did not know that it was because Austin was hospitalized, two defense officials told CNN. Hicks was on vacation in Puerto Rico at the time and was not informed of Austin’s hospitalization until the afternoon of January 4, the officials said.

Definitely they dig into this a bit more. While one can hope it’s simply a comedy of errors where everyone assumed someone else had passed the word around - which is bad enough; if Austin deliberately tried to hide this until he was back then it should cost him his job.

Too much stuff going on at the moment for a cabinet post like DoD to be unaware whose in charge.

Definitely they dig into this a bit more. While one can hope it’s simply a comedy of errors where everyone assumed someone else had passed the word around - which is bad enough; if Austin deliberately tried to hide this until he was back then it should cost him his job.

Too much stuff going on at the moment for a cabinet post like DoD to be unaware whose in charge.
I tend to think monumental screw up as opposed to anything nefarious.

Austin may have assumed everyone was notified by his staff….but it’s his job to make sure. Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets shit canned over it.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I tend to think monumental screw up as opposed to anything nefarious.

Austin may have assumed everyone was notified by his staff….but it’s his job to make sure. Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets shit canned over it.

If he told someone and then went into surgery, where he’d presumably be either unconscious or heavily medicated, I’m not sure he’s at fault - someone else didn’t follow instructions.

Someone should be fired over this tho.

Tubby Tuberville
Drama Peek GIF

He should just have told people that Putin tried to poison him:)

The Pentagon adds new details about Austin’s secretive hospital stay and the delay in telling Biden​

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon released new details Sunday about Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin’s continued hospitalization, saying he had a medical procedure Dec. 22, went home a day later and was admitted to intensive care Jan. 1 when he began experiencing severe pain.

The latest information came as members of both parties in Congress expressed sharp concerns about the secrecy of Austin’s hospital stay and the fact that the president and other senior leaders were kept in the dark about it for days.

The statement, released by Air Force Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder, did not, however, provide any details about the medical procedure or what actually happened on Monday to require Austin to be in intensive care at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Ryan said Austin was placed in the hospital’s intensive care unit “due to his medical needs, but then remained in that location in part due to hospital space considerations and privacy.”

The Pentagon’s failure to disclose Austin’s hospitalization, including to President Joe Biden, the National Security Council and top Pentagon leaders, for days reflects a stunning lack of transparency about his illness, how serious it was and when he may be released. Such secrecy, when the United States is juggling myriad national security crises, runs counter to normal practice with the president and other senior U.S. officials and Cabinet members.

Ryder said the National Security Council and Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks were not notified until Thursday, Jan. 4, that Austin had been hospitalized since Jan. 1. Ryder said Austin’s chief of staff, Kelly Magsamen, was ill and “unable to make notifications before then.” He said she informed Hicks and the national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, on Thursday.

Once notified, Hicks began preparing statements to send to Congress and made plans to return to Washington. Hicks was in Puerto Rico on leave but had communications equipment with her to remain in contact and had already been tasked with some secretary-level duties on Tuesday.

The Pentagon did not say if Hicks was given an explanation on Tuesday for why she was assuming some of Austin’s duties, but temporary transfers of authority are not unusual and are often done without detailed explanations. Hicks decided not to return after she was informed that Austin would resume full control on Friday.

Biden was told of Austin’s medical stay on Thursday by Sullivan, according to three people with knowledge of the hospitalization who were not authorized to speak publicly and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.

In a statement issued Saturday evening, Austin took responsibility for the delays in notification.

“I recognize I could have done a better job ensuring the public was appropriately informed. I commit to doing better,” he said, acknowledging the concerns about transparency. “But this is important to say: this was my medical procedure, and I take full responsibility for my decisions about disclosure.”

Austin, 70, remains hospitalized and officials have been unable to say how long he will be at Walter Reed. In his statement, Austin said he is on the mend and is looking forward to returning to the Pentagon soon, but he provided no other details about his ailment.

Something seems off still. Not right. Sure hope he was not poisoned while traveling. You know how Putin likes to operate.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Something seems off still. Not right. Sure hope he was not poisoned while traveling. You know how Putin likes to operate.
Irrelevant in regards to notifying the administration or his #2 of the situation.

If what you say is true....that's a whole different ball of wax that would need to be dealt with.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I wonder if they replaced him with a Doppleganger, ala "Dave". This is how that went down, you know.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine Halloween GIF by PeacockTV

Irrelevant in regards to notifying the administration or his #2 of the situation.

If what you say is true....that's a whole different ball of wax that would need to be dealt with.
Oh I agree unless initially they are trying to keep it hush hush. They really by now should be telling what is going on. These type of positions you kind of lose your right to privacy and details should be provided.

When I first heard this on CNN Saturday they were reporting he was hospitalized for complications following an elective procedure.

My guess is it was a cosmetic procedure of some kind that went awry. Or maybe kidney stones or hernia or something like that?

It’s just so weird that at some point, someone didn’t raise their hand and ask whether anyone’s told the president.
I was thinking about this as well.

Definitely no excuse but, as a former federal employee... The 2 week Christmas/new years break is pretty much a "dead time". Most people are off, minimal manning.

Not an excuse...but if this kind of craziness would happen that time frame would be the most likely.

I was thinking about this as well.

Definitely no excuse but, as a former federal employee... The 2 week Christmas/new years break is pretty much a "dead time". Most people are off, minimal manning.

Not an excuse...but if this kind of craziness would happen that time frame would be the most likely.

I could understand not saying anything after the initial procedure - from what you’ve posted and I read elsewhere it sounds like it should have been relatively minor; tho I still think a few key people like Austin’s #2, WH chief of staff, etc should have been told just in case.

Once he went back due to the complications there’s no excuses for not making sure everyone who needed to, knew that he he was out of commission for a few days.

My money is that the surgery was quite embarrassing and complications rare so he thought he could do it during the holidays and people wouldn’t notice.

Then there were issues and everybody close to him knew he’d be pissed if word got out so they stayed quiet, but then an extra day turned into two, turned into four.

Weird situation…

At a White House meeting last week, Jake Sullivan, the national security adviser, noticed that Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin was absent. A top Pentagon official, Sasha Baker, was there in his place.

There was nothing obviously unsettling about this. Austin was scheduled to work from home and lower-level aides often sit in for their boss
But what neither Sullivan nor Baker knew at that moment was that Austin was already hospitalized at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, with complications from an undisclosed surgical procedure.
Days later, Austin’s secret hospitalization has spiraled into a drama engulfing the upper echelons of the Biden administration. Senior White House officials are struggling to answer questions about who knew what, and when, about the former general’s medical emergency. Criticism is pouring in from Congress and the media.
And since the Pentagon went public with the situation Friday night, new reports are coming in, including POLITICO’s disclosure on Saturday evening that the Pentagon had not informed President Joe Biden or the National Security Council for days that Austin was indisposed.
The strange saga has fixed Washington on one question: What is going on with the secretary of Defense?
White House and Pentagon aides insist that Austin’s job is not in jeopardy — at least not yet. But they are sticking to that line despite seeming to lack full information about what’s actually been going on at the Pentagon. The precise nature of Austin’s surgery, medical complications and even his current condition remain unclear or addressed only in vague terms. Senior Defense Department and White House officials still don’t know the details of the procedure.

There has also been no accounting yet for the decision to withhold information about Austin’s medical emergency from the public and even the president.

That eventual disclosure blindsided Austin’s close colleagues. Austin joined a White House meeting about attacks in the Middle East by Iran-backed proxies by phone on Jan. 1 — the same day he was hospitalized. Baker’s appearance at another White House meeting last week — this one about the deteriorating situation in Haiti — did not raise any eyebrows.

So officials were shocked when Kelly Magsamen, Austin’s chief of staff, sent an email to top DOD civilian and military officials only two hours before the Pentagon publicly announced the secretary’s hospitalization on Friday. The email was bare bones, containing no more information than the public statement. DOD notified Congress about the news only 15 minutes before the official statement.

And throughout the week, Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks had to partially and occasionally assume the duties of her boss while on vacation in Puerto Rico.
The series of events, detailed to POLITICO by 10 current and former U.S. officials who were granted anonymity to discuss a sensitive matter, has raised questions about why Austin and his team went to such lengths to keep his situation under wraps. It’s also caused a major embarrassment for an administration that prides itself on professionalism, communication and teamwork — especially as it contrasts itself to the chaos of Donald Trump’s presidency.

This has been an evolving situation, in which we had to consider a number of factors, including medical and personal privacy issues,” said Maj. Gen. Patrick Ryder, the Pentagon’s chief spokesperson. The secretary resumed full duties Friday evening following his recovery, but Ryder provided no update on when Austin would be discharged.
Austin likes to wield his influence behind closed doors, shunning the spotlight and avoiding the press. But his relationship with Biden has been seen as close and until this point he had not faced criticism — from within or outside the administration — for operating in an erratic way.

Austin is already trying to clean up one of his rare public missteps.

“I recognize I could have done a better job ensuring the public was appropriately informed. I commit to doing better,” he said in a Saturday statement following the POLITICO report about the three-day gap between his hospitalization and the White House learning about it. “This was my medical procedure, and I take full responsibility for my decisions about disclosure.” Austin didn’t address failing to notify Biden.

The secretary’s unexplained absence is coming at a difficult time. Tensions in the Middle East are skyrocketing, with the Pentagon forming plans to strike Houthis in Yemen for attacking ships in the Red Sea. Hezbollah seems poised to escalate its fight with Israel just as Israel transitions to a less-intense phase of its war against Hamas in Gaza. Meanwhile, Western resolve toward Ukraine is waning, and there’s little sign that Congress will pass billions for more military aid as Republicans and Democrats first hash out a border security deal.

Honestly, this whole thing is about as tempest-in-a-teapot as you can possibly get. Yeah. the comms should have been better, but it should not be a cause celebre.

That said, it also sorta underscores that all of the kvetching about that knucklehead Senator placing holds on heads of armed service branches really is pretty much just kvetching.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Honestly, this whole thing is about as tempest-in-a-teapot as you can possibly get. Yeah. the comms should have been better, but it should not be a cause celebre.

That said, it also sorta underscores that all of the kvetching about that knucklehead Senator placing holds on heads of armed service branches really is pretty much just kvetching.

Well, in regards to Tuberville, he was holding up hundreds of appointments. And in most positions there’s limits on what underlings can do if there’s no formal notification of someone being temporarily unable to work.

Idk that anyones heads should roll per se, unless it’s found that people deliberately tried to hide this.

Trump calls for removal... what a joke. He mismanaged his cabinet and admin terribly. you had people in jobs then fired before they even moved into their offices. He was a train wreck. What was Mooch, in the job like two days? If Lying Donnie Sexual Abuser says something related to personnel... do the opposite and it'll be the right decision.

Does this seem to anyone else like this whole situation is a big deal more for political reasons than because anything really egregious happened here?

I just feel like this isn't all that big of a deal, and Biden is right to not fire him over this. IMO it warrants "hey you should be more forthcoming, this isn't how we want to do things in my administration," and we move on.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Does this seem to anyone else like this while situation is a big deal more for political reasons than because anything really egregious happened here?

I just feel like this isn't all that big of a deal, and Biden is right to not fire him over this. IMO it warrants "hey you should be more forthcoming, this isn't how we want to do things in my administration," and we move on.
Of course that's the correct take. But the Republicans would stir the pot on anything they can find, real or imagined. It's all political.

• Haha
Does this seem to anyone else like this while situation is a big deal more for political reasons than because anything really egregious happened here?

The main concern I have is if this was accidentally kept quiet or if it was deliberate. If an accident, then reprimands all around, cleanup procedures, etc.

If intention, someone should get canned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT