ADVERTISEMENT

The Lloyd Austin fallout is growing: ‘Someone’s head has to roll’

tumblr_m9lqc22Y2r1qedb29o1_500.gif

mr-rogers-nightmare.gif

Does this seem to anyone else like this whole situation is a big deal more for political reasons than because anything really egregious happened here?

I just feel like this isn't all that big of a deal, and Biden is right to not fire him over this. IMO it warrants "hey you should be more forthcoming, this isn't how we want to do things in my administration," and we move on.

Ehhh I don't think people need to know specifics necessarily but the POTUS does need to know when a high level member of his cabinet is out of commission and an approximate timeline for recovery.

I mean my job isn't nearly as high level as secretary of defense but if I was hospitalized and couldn't do my job I would consider it important to inform my employer.

Reactions: abby97
I don’t think any of the public needs to know any of these details. But the White House/President absolutely should have been informed, which apparently didn’t happen.

This. I agree. But dealing with a prostate cancer diagnosis that kills blacks at a much higher rate than whites could certainly put anyone into shutdown mode.

Lets not forget his service to this country. Blowhards on both sides of Congress have never seen combat. They need to STFU.

This. I agree. But dealing with a prostate cancer diagnosis that kills blacks at a much higher rate than whites could certainly put anyone into shutdown mode.

Let’s not forget his service to this country. Blowhards on both sides of Congress have never seen combat. They need to STFU.
I have nothing but respect for Austin’s service to this country. That doesn’t mean there aren’t consequences for bad decisions.

He’s an essential element in the chain of command. He can’t simply disappear for four days without informing his superiors.

I have nothing but respect for Austin’s service to this country. That doesn’t mean there aren’t consequences for bad decisions.

He’s an essential element in the chain of command. He can’t simply disappear for four days without informing his superiors.

It appears there are already consequences. He has been ripped by everyone on both sides, and he has had to give out his personal medical information

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Wouldn’t even be an issue if he’d have just done what he supposed to do.

He created this situation

I'm not denying that. What would be your priorities if you might be dying from complications of procedure, not knowing if you would live? There is no job in the world that I would put before spending time with my family

• Haha
I'm not denying that. What would be your priorities if you might be dying from complications of procedure, not knowing if you would live? There is no job in the world that I would put before spending time with my family
Understandable. Has nothing to do with him not notifying the administration….or apparently his number 2.

Would have only taken a couple minutes

Austin diagnosed with cancer, didn’t tell Biden for weeks​

Doctors on Tuesday disclosed that the reason Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin was hospitalized on Jan. 1 was due to complications from a late-December surgery to treat prostate cancer, answering a major question involving the Pentagon chief’s mysterious health situation but raising further issues with how the episode was handled.

Less than an hour after the announcement, the White House disclosed that President Joe Biden didn’t learn of Austin’s diagnosis until Tuesday, weeks after the secretary learned he had cancer and days after the two spoke on the phone.

• Wow
Reactions: EasyHawk
Sounds like it is time for Austin to step down. Not good at all keeping Biden in the dark.

A UTI that would require a stay in the ICU has to be pretty serious and might indicate that the Secretary might need to refocus his attention on his health. I hope the man has a full recovery.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Bottomline … you have to waive some of your HIPAA rights when you are the lead in the command of our national defense. Especially with two major wars going on and a third (Taiwan) that could start anytime. Not to mention U.S. forces getting attacked on a daily basis by Iranian proxies. We need better leaders.

Bottomline … you have to waive some of your HIPAA rights when you are the lead in the command of our national defense. Especially with two major wars going on and a third (Taiwan) that could start anytime. Not to mention U.S. forces getting attacked on a daily basis by Iranian proxies. We need better leaders.
Those rights only need to be waived if the medical provider needs to discuss the patient's condition with a third party. Austin can tell anyone and everyone about his condition, including Joe Biden. He should have also told Jill, Jeff Zients, and Kathleen Hicks. Austin didn't need to go into great detail, he only needed to say he had a medical condition that required attention, and that he might miss some time because of it.

Austin diagnosed with cancer, didn’t tell Biden for weeks​

Doctors on Tuesday disclosed that the reason Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin was hospitalized on Jan. 1 was due to complications from a late-December surgery to treat prostate cancer, answering a major question involving the Pentagon chief’s mysterious health situation but raising further issues with how the episode was handled.

Less than an hour after the announcement, the White House disclosed that President Joe Biden didn’t learn of Austin’s diagnosis until Tuesday, weeks after the secretary learned he had cancer and days after the two spoke on the phone.

I don't think Biden or the country needs to know of his specific diagnosis. But the president and the country need to know if he's out of commission and what the projected recovery time would be.

He might not have been in a condition to do that? We don't know. Probably fell upon his wife to do it
"Hey, boss. I just received a serious medical diagnosis. I'm going to need to go to the hospital for a bit and then be at home for recovery for several weeks, maybe months."

"I'm sorry to hear that. Send Johnson the Excel files. Keep me updated and let me know what you need."

(This whole thing except I'm the Secretary of fvckin' Defense of the United States of America.)

Last edited:
My money is that the surgery was quite embarrassing and complications rare so he thought he could do it during the holidays and people wouldn’t notice.

Then there were issues and everybody close to him knew he’d be pissed if word got out so they stayed quiet, but then an extra day turned into two, turned into four.
I bet he went in for something simple and when he woke up he had giant tits.

Lets not forget his service to this country. Blowhards on both sides of Congress have never seen combat. They need to STFU.
My mistake, I forgot he is black and was in the army, I forgot that makes him beyond reproach. My bad.......

I don't think Biden or the country needs to know of his specific diagnosis. But the president and the country need to know if he's out of commission and what the projected recovery time would be.
That's the crux of the issue....it's being conflated a bit with his diagnosis.

That's pretty irrelevant to the main issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT