ADVERTISEMENT

The New WBB Recruiting Thread

Big, talented posts are the scarcest talents in recruiting. Iowa needs one for several reasons. Megan is an aggressive player. She will pick up fouls. Having another starter as her backup is less than ideal. Chase needs to concentrate on being a forward. She still has a lot of upside. A 6-5 player is a big advantage in the B1G. It helps to offset the big bruisers they have to face.
It fits Iowa's system to have a post that can rebound, defend, and be able to step out and hit the mid-range jump shot.

Reactions: nu2u and cyberhawk
Big, talented posts are the scarcest talents in recruiting. Iowa needs one for several reasons. Megan is an aggressive player. She will pick up fouls. Having another starter as her backup is less than ideal. Chase needs to concentrate on being a forward. She still has a lot of upside. A 6-5 player is a big advantage in the B1G. It helps to offset the big bruisers they have to face.
It fits Iowa's system to have a post that can rebound, defend, and be able to step out and hit the mid-range jump shot.
A 6'5" player would be nice. Skouby at 6'6" and Johnson at 6'5" both worked out fairly well.

Intense perimeter defense will be a given with the incoming class. If we can get 1/2 more bigs with that attitude then outside/ inside will be hard to consistently get easy, open shots against.

Iowa is having their Elite Camp on June 6-7. Usually some news comes out of that.

Oakhawk, you fooled me with your comment. Since Wednesday is the deadline for signing NLI's, I am expecting Kathleen Doyle to announce her decision any day now. When I saw the notification in my email that there was a new comment in this thread, I thought it was news about her. Although technically she would not necessarily need to sign a NLI, I believe she will make her decision if not by Wednesday, then at least by the start of summer classes.

Indiana just got a Grad transfer from Dayton, so it is probably down to Iowa, Vanderbilt, and Nebraska for Doyle.

Reactions: ozzyrulz
Vanderbilt Women's Basketball

NEWS

Vanderbilt Director of Athletics David Williams announced [4/27/16] that Melanie Balcomb has resigned as head women's basketball coach, effective immediately.

From what I can determine, Vanderbilt has a full roster.

ROSTER

The team is also bringing in a six-member recruiting class that is ranked as high as No. 6 in the nation by Blue Star Report.

Last edited:
That to me (the coach being forced out) means the AD has someone in mind

Notre Dame assistant , Niele Ivey.
Not officially announced yet. Reported as 'source' by social media. There does seem to be some disagreement regarding the veracity of that source. If true, I would wager an official announcement today.

Last edited:
Omaha WH says Iowa or Nebby for Doyle. Not sure if they have any inside info. Go Hawks !!

New Vanderbilt WBB head coach is Notre Dame asst. Niele Ivey, according to same VandyMania source who revealed Balcomb departure.

@Rauol_000 source thought it was a done deal but now not so sure - he's got a great track record over the years though. In my opinion Ivey will be an outstanding head coach whether at Vandy/or another school.

Last edited:
Vanderbilt coach candidate wouldn't start job until fall

'Stephanie White, coach of the WNBA’s Indiana Fever, told The Indianapolis Star that if Vanderbilt offered her the job, she could not join the Commodores until her current season is over.'

The announcement that Stephanie White is one of three candidates could explain why Vanderbilt has taken so long to select a new head coach. It also seems as though she would accept the job if offered and the details for taking over the team could be worked out. Furthermore, if it turns out that White is their new HC, Kathleen Doyle could very well choose Vanderbilt. In fact, Doyle might just choose Vanderbilt regardless of who the new HC is, provided that the new HC offers her. And, as it happens, Vanderbilt, now seems to have a scholarship available.

'Vanderbilt reserve center Kendall Shaw has left and will play at Wisconsin as a graduate transfer this season, she recently announced on Twitter.'

Vanderbilt's returning roster is relatively deep with guards and their highly ranked six member recruiting class for this fall has at least three very good guards already.

Stephanie White is a good coach, but it would be so awkward with her gone half the time. The recruiting would be on the assistants, with them using her panache as the lure.

Rumor is now that the other two have withdrawn themselves from consideration. It appears that Stephanie White may be Vanderbilt's top choice. If so, It wouldn't surprise me if Kathleen Doyle chooses them if she is offered their last scholarship.

Last edited:
Without disclosing information that was told to me in confidence, there are other programs that also have interest in Steph White. She may end up at Vanderbilt, but I would not be surprised if she waited for the "right opportunity."

You would think she would be interested in Purdue (her alma mater). Of course they still have their HC (Sharon Versyp), at least 'for the time being'. I doubt that she would use Vanderbilt as a stepping stone to another school and Vanderbilt wouldn't want a coach that was looking to move up after a few years. But just reading between the lines, (if she was offered, she wouldn't be able to start until after the Fever finish their season instead of saying she either would or would not accept it) I think she will take the job if it is offered.

Purdue would probably be her first choice. But I think she would rather have a perennial Top Ten team instead of Vandy. I'm not sure if any of those are the ones with interest.

Purdue has the fan support, proximity to recruits and prestigious academics. I believe she would take them to the next level. If she goes to Vanderbilt, she will raise their program to elite status.

That article makes it sound like she will give up the Fever HC job when their season ends, which makes a lot more sense , in some ways.

Vanderbilt hires coach Stephanie White, associate Carolyn Peck

WNBA head coach Stephanie White will be Vanderbilt’s new women’s basketball coach and ESPN’s Carolyn Peck will serve as associate head coach, sources confirmed Monday.

SB Nation first reported White’s hiring. Sources also confirmed to The Tennessean that Peck, a former Vanderbilt player and Hall of Famer, will join White's staff. Peck could perhaps help run the program while White coaches the remainder of the Fever's season into the fall.

It now looks all but official. A press conference should be forthcoming perhaps as early as tomorrow. I would imagine there to be contact between Kathleen Doyle and the new staff and a decision by her in the near future.

Peck also played her college ball at Vanderbilt. She was fired as HC at Florida.

Stephanie White named head coach of the Commodores

Fans invited to attend Coach White’s introductory press conference

vucommodores.com

Maybe someone will ask her about the last available scholarship remaining for 2016.

Kind shocking and surprising... Kentucky's Matthew Mitchell adds former Purdue & Indiana Fever HOF coach Lin Dunn to his staff.

I wouldn't say shocking or necessarily surprising but certainly interesting even though it is totally unrelated to Iowa WBB recruiting.

I found it that way based on her comments when retiring from the Fever. Most of the previous 10 posts aren't Iowa WBB recruiting related either btw...

Reactions: kidnatural
#CHE
1f4aa.png
1f3c0.png
-- Illinois Ms. Basketball & Blue Star #20 2016 Kathleen Doyle verbals to the Iowa Hawkeyes
I had a good feeling after her visit, but you never know for sure. exchanged an Indiana Miss Basketball for an Illinois Miss Basketball. Multiple recruiting sites have her in their Top 25. Big time recruit that knows how to win.
Now let's get some 2017 post action.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT