ADVERTISEMENT

The next 2-3 weeks

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Things that need to happen.

1. Hire an offensive coordinator
a. If it's Philbin - show Barnett the door and hire a QB coach
b. If it's Chryst the QB coach is resolved, still show Barnett the door and find a good OL coach.

2. Get Castro, Jackson and Harris to come back. Schulte , no thanks - I want Entringer to see the field at safety.

3. Find a good left tackle in the portal

4. Find a good QB in the portal, no guarantees that McNamara can stay healthy. Hill is not the answer (nice kid, but he should never see the field again at Iowa).

5. Bring in some DB depth at corner from the portal. FWIW, Cooper is NFL bound. Based on projections, he is looking at an 8 figure payday.

I'm not confident any of those things will happen - except for a new OC.
I'm not either, but anyone doing realistic assessments can see where our weaknesses are. From a coaching perspective, Barnett has had three years and our OL has digressed. For that matter, our WR room has digressed also. RB room is better. TE's are good. QB play has really dropped off since KOK retired. With a new OC, we should give him the freedom to bring in his staff. Add a QB coach, OL coach and possibly new WR coach. Our offense needs a huge overhaul.

Good points all around, especially the OLine as it was not a positive yesterday. A much better Oline will make our QBs better. Cade is good enough with pass protection but we need a very good backup, which should not be Hill, so is Marco a really good passer, is the question (he was under too much pressure yesterday to tell).

JHarris should come back and even playing zone coverage a lot he needs to be closer to receivers.

Need receiver upgrades, I thought it was important to note that SethA didnt seem to be in there very much.

In the end the offense just needs to get way way better

I'm not either, but anyone doing realistic assessments can see where our weaknesses are. From a coaching perspective, Barnett has had three years and our OL has digressed. For that matter, our WR room has digressed also. RB room is better. TE's are good. QB play has really dropped off since KOK retired. With a new OC, we should give him the freedom to bring in his staff. Add a QB coach, OL coach and possibly new WR coach. Our offense needs a huge overhaul.
It's a start from scratch situation, but KF is not that kind of coach - for better or for worse.

The offensive scheme looks like it was designed in 1999 - which it was. When you watch good teams play offense it doesn't even look familiar - it's like a totally different game.

If it were up to me, the OC would be the QB coach, so I hope the next OC has QB coaching experience. A few weeks ago I scanned through some of the top program's coaching staffs and most combine the positions.

The OL is a mess.

I was hoping KF would retire so the whole program could get a reboot. Pay PP $2 million to keep him around and keep Woods too - pretty much everything else needs a fresh start,

b. If it's Chryst the QB coach is resolved, still show Barnett the door and find a good OL coach.

2. Get Castro, Jackson and Harris to come back. Schulte , no thanks - I want Entringer to see the field at safety.

4. Find a good QB in the portal, no guarantees that McNamara can stay healthy. Hill is not the answer (nice kid, but he should never see the field again at Iowa).

5. Bring in some DB depth at corner from the portal. FWIW, Cooper is NFL bound. Based on projections, he is looking at an 8 figure payday.
Cooper is coming back so Iowa can win a national championship......

I don't think Richman, Colby, or Dejong for that matter have really gotten any better for guys who have starter as FR.
One positive I guess I will say for the Oline is the predictability of this offense makes their job really hard. It very possible that they just look worse than they actually are
As a life long Iowa fan if I was an NFL GM I don't think I would draft any of our Olineman before probably Round 5. And that's being generous.

I don't think Richman, Colby, or Dejong for that matter have really gotten any better for guys who have starter as FR.
One positive I guess I will say for the Oline is the predictability of this offense makes their job really hard. It very possible that they just look worse than they actually are
As a life long Iowa fan if I was an NFL GM I don't think I would draft any of our Olineman before probably Round 5. And that's being generous.
I wouldn't draft them...........or UDFA.

Deacon needs to be told to enter the portal and His spot used for a portal QB , New OC who has been a good QB Coach before , Barnett needs to be shown the door, Copeland same, Dejong should be thanked for His effort but He will not be rostered and use that ride for a portal OT , Jackson , Harris, Castro should be recruited to stay but Schulte gone , He was overmatched and frankly did not play with any passion Yesterday , allowed himself to be screened out of plays and made no effort to go around or thru blocks see the 1st TD. Hard decisions need to be made in Iowa City .

Unwarranted IMO. Schulte is rock solid.

Personally, I disagree. He gets run over a ton and was not our best tackler. I am curious about Entringer. Doesn't mean he will be better in one year but I think he will be more athletic.

I feel bad, I'm not trying to crap on Quinn. He's hardly our worst problem. I appreciate his effort and time as a Hawk.

Last edited:
Marco was literally the only sliver of hope on the Offensive side Yesterday
He can make something out of nothing. That's a quality we haven't had since CJ.

He was put in a difficult situation yesterday and looked promising to me.

The next OC.....like most OC's will tailor the play calling to his skill set if he's the QB.

BF didn't do that yesterday...had him in empty backfield most of the time. Would have liked to see him rolling out with a run/pass option a few times.

The running ability he showed yesterday was another indictment of BF....should have had a 3 or 4 play package utilizing his skills once Cade went down. If your gonna start Deacon...fine. Just utilize him like most other CFB teams do when the backup has a drastically different skill set as the starter.

Good points all around, especially the OLine as it was not a positive yesterday. A much better Oline will make our QBs better. Cade is good enough with pass protection but we need a very good backup, which should not be Hill, so is Marco a really good passer, is the question (he was under too much pressure yesterday to tell).

JHarris should come back and even playing zone coverage a lot he needs to be closer to receivers.

Need receiver upgrades, I thought it was important to note that SethA didnt seem to be in there very much.

also need a WR coach upgrade.

Agree that Marco needs more game experience and not when down 28-0 and the other team is pnning their ears back. So unfair to any backup, but ML did end up leading the team in rushing.

New OC, OL coach, QB coach, WR Coach should all be posted. I don't know if KF has the balls to fire GB and JB after he sold his soul on them the past few years.

Regressed?

Deacon needs to be told to enter the portal and His spot used for a portal QB , New OC who has been a good QB Coach before , Barnett needs to be shown the door, Copeland same, Dejong should be thanked for His effort but He will not be rostered and use that ride for a portal OT , Jackson , Harris, Castro should be recruited to stay but Schulte gone , He was overmatched and frankly did not play with any passion Yesterday , allowed himself to be screened out of plays and made no effort to go around or thru blocks see the 1st TD. Hard decisions need to be made in Iowa City .
This needs to happen with numerous guys.

Make some room for GOOD players.

Yep.

Ferentz has made a career beating the likes of ISU, Minnesota, Nebraska.

Those games remain, so maybe he thinks he can squeeze out a couple 7-5 seasons and draw that $7M salary a few more years.

Reactions: mikesright
Yep.

Ferentz has made a career beating the likes of ISU, Minnesota, Nebraska.

Those games remain, so maybe he thinks he can squeeze out a couple 7-5 seasons and draw that $7M salary a few more years.
Anyone who coaches at Iowa will have to make a career beating those 3. But Kirk also made a career out of beating ranked michigan teams, ranked OSU teams, a ranked Arizona State team, ranked Wisconsin teams, a ranked illinois team, ranked penn state teams, a ranked florida team, a ranked LSU team, an Orange Bowl, ranked MSU teams, a ranked Mississippi State team.

So ya, the recency bias says the last few years have sucked, but the dude has beat a lot of good teams in his career.

Agree that Marco needs more game experience and not when down 28-0 and the other team is pnning their ears back. So unfair to any backup, but ML did end up leading the team in rushing.

New OC, OL coach, QB coach, WR Coach should all be posted. I don't know if KF has the balls to fire GB and JB after he sold his soul on them the past few years.
The new OC needs assurance that he can name his own assistants or at least OL and WR assistants. No OC should be handcuffed with some legacy assistants that havent proven their worth

5. Bring in some DB depth at corner from the portal. FWIW, Cooper is NFL bound. Based on projectins, he is looking at an 8 figure payday.
Harris?

Reactions: MitchLL
Anybody that’s expecting a portal QB who would be an upgrade over anybody already here to show up needs to temper those expectations.
Deacon Hill is our starter going forward. I’m honestly not even sure Cade will beat him out if healthy. Kirk Ferentz’s past is filled with sub-par performers keeping their jobs if they play well in practice and don’t do anything stupid off of the field. Apparently Hill does both.

We are who we are until there’s another captain at the helm.

Last edited:
Anyone who coaches at Iowa will have to make a career beating those 3. But Kirk also made a career out of beating ranked michigan teams, ranked OSU teams, a ranked Arizona State team, ranked Wisconsin teams, a ranked illinois team, ranked penn state teams, a ranked florida team, a ranked LSU team, an Orange Bowl, ranked MSU teams, a ranked Mississippi State team.

So ya, the recency bias says the last few years have sucked, but the dude has beat a lot of good teams in his career.
Recency bias is a year, maybe 2. We're in year 3 now of 1970's football w/QB play and scheme that's unlike anything seen since the Bob Cummings era. Petras came in as a guy who broke Goff's records in high school and actually had some skills. Go look at the games from early in his career. With the right scheme and protection he could have been a decent QB. I really believe that. By the time he left he was so broken mentally he couldn't even get out of his own way. That's coaching. Go look at our LSU bowl game victory. There were probably 20 pros out there from both teams. Yes, Kirk has beaten some teams over the years but this is not the same here. I'm sorry you can't see this.

Reactions: pink shizzle

Since the offense collapsed at the mid-point of 2021 season, Iowa is no longer competitive in games against top-20 caliber teams.

Recency bias is a year, maybe 2. We're in year 3 now of 1970's football w/QB play and scheme that's unlike anything seen since the Bob Cummings era. Petras came in as a guy who broke Goff's records in high school and actually had some skills. Go look at the games from early in his career. With the right scheme and protection he could have been a decent QB. I really believe that. By the time he left he was so broken mentally he couldn't even get out of his own way. That's coaching. Go look at our LSU bowl game victory. There were probably 20 pros out there from both teams. Yes, Kirk has beaten some teams over the years but this is not the same here. I'm sorry you can't see this.
Did you skip breakfast this morning or something? I can see this, but I can also see that kirk has had more of a career than just beating those 3 teams.

This will tell us if any real change is coming or not. Any OC worth their salt needs and is going to want to bring in some staff to make them successful. If it's just a change at OC then it's probably more or less business as usual with Kirk and Barnett hindering any significant improvements to a great extent. I'm not sure how Copeland hangs around either. If Kirk could find a way to be objective, he'd realize that he's made some questionable hires and needs a fresh start with a new offensive staff.

Key words

my list would start with
1. OC
1a. OL
1b. OL
1c. OL
1d. QB

This whole mess starts up front . We all know Iowa wins when they control the LOS and milk the clock, limit other teams offensive possessions and do not turn the ball over . Hill should never see the field again . He’s awful . Not picking on him he’s just not good .
Barnett needs to be shown the door. The OL has regressed with no improvement in those players.. that’s on coaching and recruiting. That needs to be fixed .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT