ADVERTISEMENT

The next 2-3 weeks

Give Marco a chance. Dude can run. Probably had big time jitters and he was working with a sieve of an OL and WRs that can’t separate as the announcers noted.
Plus he was put in a position where the defense knew that he had to pass to do anything significant. Can't accurately judge his passing in that scenario. Plus, no prior game experience at all due to the incompetence of the HC.

my list would start with
1. OC
1a. OL
1b. OL
1c. OL
1d. QB

This whole mess starts up front . We all know Iowa wins when they control the LOS and milk the clock, limit other teams offensive possessions and do not turn the ball over . Hill should never see the field again . He’s awful . Not picking on him he’s just not good .
Barnett needs to be shown the door. The OL has regressed with no improvement in those players.. that’s on coaching and recruiting. That needs to be fixed .
Agree- no evidence at all that Barnett has done anything resulting in OL improvement.

Plus he was put in a position where the defense knew that he had to pass to do anything significant. Can't accurately judge his passing in that scenario. Plus, no prior game experience at all due to the incompetence of the HC.
Can't accurately judge anyone on the offensive side of the ball when the entire thing is completely broken and dysfunctional. I have no idea why any offensive player would want to come to Iowa at this point.

Can't accurately judge anyone on the offensive side of the ball when the entire thing is completely broken and dysfunctional. I have no idea why any offensive player would want to come to Iowa at this point.
Why the OC hire is so important The hire needs to be a Coach who has a proven scheme and has had success. If Kirk bombs this hire Iowa football will start an end of the Fry era slide.

Anybody that’s expecting a portal QB who would be an upgrade over anybody already here to show up needs to temper those expectations.
Deacon Hill is our starter going forward. I’m honestly not even sure Cade will beat him out if healthy. Kirk Ferentz’s past is filled with sub-par performers keeping their jobs if they play well in practice and don’t do anything stupid off of the field. Apparently Hill does both.

We are who we are until there’s another captain at the helm.
Hill will not be the starter next year.

Give Marco a chance. Dude can run. Probably had big time jitters and he was working with a sieve of an OL and WRs that can’t separate as the announcers noted.
that and they put him in 5 wide which is ridiculous to do to guy taking his first snaps.

Reactions: littlez
1. Name the OC
2. Let said OC take a couple days to watch film and evaluate the QB position. Basically let the OC do everything in his power to make sure D.Hill is #3 or lower.
3. Attack, develop, upgrade the OL in any way shape or form. Do whatever it takes.

Reactions: BigOHawk
I'm not either, but anyone doing realistic assessments can see where our weaknesses are. From a coaching perspective, Barnett has had three years and our OL has digressed. For that matter, our WR room has digressed also. RB room is better. TE's are good. QB play has really dropped off since KOK retired. With a new OC, we should give him the freedom to bring in his staff. Add a QB coach, OL coach and possibly new WR coach. Our offense needs a huge overhaul.
I agree that a new OC should be able to bring in his own offensive staff including OL, WR and QB coaches. I doubt that will happen, though, becuse KF is too damn loyal.

Since the offense collapsed at the mid-point of 2021 season, Iowa is no longer competitive in games against top-20 caliber teams.
Since James Daniels started tweeting.

I always wondered why he came to such a bad place, especially when his older brother had already experienced the horrors.

They come to Iowa because it is Big 10 P5 football. And they should be able to get playing time if they are good.

Great recruiters can sell that kind of situation like they can sell an old junker car that has been in a few accidents.

He can make something out of nothing. That's a quality we haven't had since CJ.

He was put in a difficult situation yesterday and looked promising to me.

The next OC.....like most OC's will tailor the play calling to his skill set if he's the QB.

BF didn't do that yesterday...had him in empty backfield most of the time. Would have liked to see him rolling out with a run/pass option a few times.

The running ability he showed yesterday was another indictment of BF....should have had a 3 or 4 play package utilizing his skills once Cade went down. If your gonna start Deacon...fine. Just utilize him like most other CFB teams do when the backup has a drastically different skill set as the starter.

Lainez running was impressive...a real coach would have gotten him on the field earlier in season just to make use of his legs in run-likely situations. I've watched a lot of Iowa football games...I remember Ricky Stanzi doing a read option of the DE and keeping the ball vs Illinois back in KOK days and that is about the last time I remember that play being run at Iowa by a QB and QB keeping the ball....that is a staple of college football and not even in the Iowa offense. It looked like Brian tried to run something like that with Lainez...but by that time UT was just sending the house on every play.

Lainez needs to be able to pass the ball...but the does have the legs. I would rather go with a guy that can run and teach him to pass than stick with a slow footed pocket passer like Deacon Hill that really can't do anything but be a pocket passer.

Why the OC hire is so important The hire needs to be a Coach who has a proven scheme and has had success. If Kirk bombs this hire Iowa football will start an end of the Fry era slide.
I get what you’re saying but it feels like the Fry era slide happened pretty quickly and then he was just gone. This one feels like it could be a continued slow slide into oblivion. It’s already happening as Iowa can’t even compete with ranked teams anymore, yet some are blinded by “10 wins.”

Maybe, similar to Michigan develop a small package of plays for the back up/change up qb each game

I get what you’re saying but it feels like the Fry era slide happened pretty quickly and then he was just gone. This one feels like it could be a continued slow slide into oblivion. It’s already happening as Iowa can’t even compete with ranked teams anymore, yet some are blinded by “10 wins.”
How have the recruiting rankings trended?

1. Name the OC
2. Let said OC take a couple days to watch film and evaluate the QB position. Basically let the OC do everything in his power to make sure D.Hill is #3 or lower.
3. Attack, develop, upgrade the OL in any way shape or form. Do whatever it takes.
Nope. The OC needs to make a condition of taking the job be:
1) Deacon Hill is QB4...or lower...or I am not taking the job.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
Nope. The OC needs to make a condition of taking the job be:
1) Deacon Hill is QB4...or lower...or I am not taking the job.
I think you put Hill at #3 but defacto #4.

For example if assuming Cade and Marco are #1 and #2 and they get hurt next season then you play Hill until 4 games left so Resar can take over without burning a year.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
They come to Iowa because it is Big 10 P5 football. And they should be able to get playing time if they are good.

Great recruiters can sell that kind of situation like they can sell an old junker car that has been in a few accidents.
If I were a high level offensive player and witnessed the shit show that the Iowa offense had become I wouldn't walk, I would run in the other direction.

Probably not, but having NFL success at that one position hasn't done anything to make the Iowa offense functional or watchable.
Most of it comes down to the amount of money being offered to these high level kids. Nebraska is pulling in 4* guys left and right with transfers as well. That sure as shit isn't due to their 115th ranked offense.

Most of it comes down to the amount of money being offered to these high level kids. Nebraska is pulling in 4* guys left and right with transfers as well. That sure as shit isn't due to their 115th ranked offense.
There you go, Univs are just buying teams, reminds me of some of those old 1940's and 50's sports movies with John Wayne, Reagan, etc where the coach is handing out the brown paper bags and envelopes to guys who are like 25 years old and faking their backgrounds to win some games.

Schulte can’t tackle. No thanks
Schulte had 67 tackles, 4th on the team. Castro had 65. Different positions, but Schulte is only in position to tackle when a play breaks past linebackers, which didn't happen often. BTW, FWIW X only had 42 tackles. He seems to shy away from contact. As a safety, this is not good IMO. I'm not sure he deserved his 5 stars. Time still there, but clock ticking.

Reactions: littlez
It's a new regime that doesn't have a 3 year history of being a national punchline. Iowa could be littered with 4 star players and the offense would still suck. Petras was a 4 star QB. How did he do? College football is still all about the coaching staff.

Ridding the program of the national stink associated with Brian is a good first step. If Kirk can find a way to bring in a decent offensive staff, that's how the offense is going to recover. The money helps, but it's not the solution.

It's a new regime that doesn't have a 3 year history of being a national punchline. Iowa could be littered with 4 star players and the offense would still suck. Petras was a 4 star QB. How did he do? College football is still all about the coaching staff.

Ridding the program of the national stink associated with Brian is a good first step. If Kirk can find a way to bring in a decent offensive staff, that's how the offense is going to recover. The money helps, but it's not the solution.
you are strawmannirg here hard. You first stated that offensive players should run from Iowa. I stated to you that they are drawn for playing time, but IMO more money is a key driving force. I agree that this hire is likely the most important hire of the KF era, and will either solidify him as one of the best coaches at Iowa, or make it a very painful 4-5 years for fans.

Anybody that’s expecting a portal QB who would be an upgrade over anybody already here to show up needs to temper those expectations.
Deacon Hill is our starter going forward. I’m honestly not even sure Cade will beat him out if healthy. Kirk Ferentz’s past is filled with sub-par performers keeping their jobs if they play well in practice and don’t do anything stupid off of the field. Apparently Hill does both.

We are who we are until there’s another captain at the helm.
I believe you are mistaken about Hill being the starter ever again. If you are correct, it will give me a reason to start a new hobby on Saturdays next fall as I won't watch a team with Deacon at QB.

you are strawmannirg here hard. You first stated that offensive players should run from Iowa. I stated to you that they are drawn for playing time, but IMO more money is a key driving force. I agree that this hire is likely the most important hire of the KF era, and will either solidify him as one of the best coaches at Iowa, or make it a very painful 4-5 years for fans.
No strawmanning. You said players are going to Nebraska because in spite of the shitty offense last year, they are paying the money. Nebraska and their staff haven't been the poster child for laughably bad offensive football the last 3 years. Iowa has.

No strawmanning. You said players are going to Nebraska because in spite of the shitty offense last year, they are paying the money. Nebraska and their staff haven't been the poster child for laughably bad offensive football the last 3 years. Iowa has.
Legit, you were arguing that the OC was important, I would never argue that the OC position could be solved with money, that is the definition of a straw man. With regards to Debby, they are the only power 5 school that hasn't been to a bowl in 7 years, they don't place players in early rounds of the draft...If you think that Raiola came because of their dominant offense that is laughable.

Legit, you were arguing that the OC was important, I would never argue that the OC position could be solved with money, that is the definition of a straw man. With regards to Debby, they are the only power 5 school that hasn't been to a bowl in 7 years, they don't place players in early rounds of the draft...If you think that Raiola came because of their dominant offense that is laughable.
Never said anything close to this but this discussion is off the rails so I'll end it here. Put a decent offensive staff together instead of the shit show we have today and everything else becomes possible. Money is secondary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT