ADVERTISEMENT

THE SUCCESS OF IOWA'S FERENTZ ERA

Iowa has more AP top-10 finishes than Miami, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Penn State and Tennessee. It has more conference titles than Nebraska and Tennessee. It has had as many losing seasons as Michigan.

Iowa has more AP top-10 finishes than Miami, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Penn State and Tennessee. It has more conference titles than Nebraska and Tennessee. It has had as many losing seasons as Michigan.

I think it's fair to say we've had some great seasons under KFz, but we've paid for them with some embarrassing moments.

Last edited:
I have been pleasantly surprised over season records and specific games and, at times, a bit disappointed. But overall Coach Ferentz has done a wonderful job in running our football program. Never has he embarrassed me as a fan of the Hawks.

Only with some of his on the field moments (as pointed out in the article). He's a man of character and integrity.

Only with some of his on the field moments (as pointed out in the article). He's a man of character and integrity.
As a player, I have embarrassed myself with my performance. As a fan, I guess I never feel that way. It is a game played by kids.

As a player, I have embarrassed myself with my performance. As a fan, I guess I never feel that way. It is a game played by kids.

Not sure I follow you. I'm referring to some of KFz's in-game decisions and choices that most of football has snickered at.

5 Top ten finishes is awfully impressive, especially when you see year after year the Miami's, Nebraska's, Notre Dames, Penn States and Tennessees have much better rated recruiting classes. Two years ago, we were inches from making the national championship series. I have follwed recruiting since the early 80's and I know how hard it is to recruit a top 10 class.

If a young man and his parents wants a solid education, improvement as a football player and as an overall better human being, become a part of a close knit family, they ought to give the Hawks serious consideration.

Proud to say I'm a Hawk!

5 Top ten finishes is awfully impressive, especially when you see year after year the Miami's, Nebraska's, Notre Dames, Penn States and Tennessees have much better rated recruiting classes. Two years ago, we were inches from making the national championship series. I have follwed recruiting since the early 80's and I know how hard it is to recruit a top 10 class.

If a young man and his parents wants a solid education, improvement as a football player and as an overall better human being, become a part of a close knit family, they ought to give the Hawks serious consideration.

Proud to say I'm a Hawk!
Great post!!!

I'm more embarrassed by idiotic comments by some fans than I am by on-field football results.
Every fan base has them. We've all had our own opinions ... now smartphones and technology allow us to tell the world our thoughts ...

As for Kirk ... met him on a few occasions when I was part of the Polk County I-Club board... The older I get the more I appreciate the person we have leading Iowa football. Yes, I want us to win ... But now, I have just as much appreciation for the character of Kirk and his staff AND the players they recruit to don the black and gold. I've always "respected" Iowa football. In my 37 years of being a die-hard Hawk fan, I've been blessed to have two pretty special people leading Iowa football (Hayden and Kirk) ...

Think about that for a moment ... while some schools changes coaches and staff like you and I change dinner plans, we've had two coaches that have delivered some exciting times on the field and more important, they've helped developed countless outstanding kids who grew up to be outstanding adults ... Wins are wonderful ... Integrity is everything.

Every fan base has them. We've all had our own opinions ... now smartphones and technology allow us to tell the world our thoughts ...

As for Kirk ... met him on a few occasions when I was part of the Polk County I-Club board... The older I get the more I appreciate the person we have leading Iowa football. Yes, I want us to win ... But now, I have just as much appreciation for the character of Kirk and his staff AND the players they recruit to don the black and gold. I've always "respected" Iowa football. In my 37 years of being a die-hard Hawk fan, I've been blessed to have two pretty special people leading Iowa football (Hayden and Kirk) ...

Think about that for a moment ... while some schools changes coaches and staff like you and I change dinner plans, we've had two coaches that have delivered some exciting times on the field and more important, they've helped developed countless outstanding kids who grew up to be outstanding adults ... Wins are wonderful ... Integrity is everything.
Solid article. Solid man leading the Hawks. You should feel proud.

I think everyone has hit upon the many good points of Coach Ferentz. The fact is he's had a lot of success staying true to his system while doing things the right way.

It's hard to believe but I was in high school when Iowa hired Ferentz. I remember a lot of Iowa fans groaning about the hire (probably because everyone was wanting Stoops) at the time. I also remember not too long after that how excited the fan base was when Steve Alford was announced as head coach of the men's basketball team. Lol. Perspective.

The truth is I think Ferentz became the victim of his own success. Think about it. From 2002-2004, Iowa finished in the Top 10 three years in a row, won a share of the Big Ten title in 2002 and 2004, and had New Year's Bowl wins over Florida and LSU. Fans started to expect the moon.

Last, it's crazy to think Iowa has had two head football coaches since the 1970s. That's unheard of. I mean I wasn't even friggin' born when Fry was hired. And I'm only a few years away from 40. Perspective.

Really please elaborate?
Total body of work for KF at Iowa awesome. Need to show up at bowl games.
The last three were embarassing, not to mention Orange Bowl with USC.
I will say against USC alot people thought, they should of played for NC that year.

Ferentz is really really good, but not legendary. When you have to slice and dice stats as much as people do to build the legend case, you've already lost the legend label. Unfortunately, it's probably nearly impossible to coach at Iowa and reach the level of the true college football legends.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Total body of work for KF at Iowa awesome. Need to show up at bowl games.
The last three were embarassing, not to mention Orange Bowl with USC.
I will say against USC alot people thought, they should of played for NC that year.

This decade has been rough for Iowa in bowl games no doubt. I think part of the problem is Iowa has soft non-conference schedules and has racked up inflated records which lands them in bowls they are decidedly underdogs in.

The 2002 USC Trojans were playing like the best team in the country the last month of the season. Carson Palmer was absolutely tearing it up. If I were a betting man, my money would have been on USC over Ohio State or Miami that year, had USC been given a crack at the NC. I don't quite understand your last sentence, but it sounds like we agree that by the end of the year USC was the best team in college football.

One of the reasons that Iowa and the BIG hasn't fared so well in bowl games is because we tend to get matched up with higher ranked teams (excluding the rose Bowl). Florida won their division in the SEC and finished 2nd in the conference. Iowa finished 2nd in the West and tied for 5th overall. At least that's how I remember it most years, but I'm old and could just be imagining things.

Ferentz is really really good, but not legendary. When you have to slice and dice stats as much as people do to build the legend case, you've already lost the legend label. Unfortunately, it's probably nearly impossible to coach at Iowa and reach the level of the true college football legends.
Have to agree KF is a great coach but definitely not a legend, legends don't have a 6-8 bowl record with 5 losses in a row and the last three being blowouts.

Reactions: 24 so far
Outside of Saban who would some of you consider a legend in the last 20 years?

Yes by that standard there wouldn't be anyone else pretty much. Stoops? What is he 1 and 3 and 1-4 in playoffs/national title games overall? Not legendary.

People can determine in their own mind who is and is not "legendary." That's fine. KF's body of work speaks for itself. The way he's done it makes me appreciate him even more. It could be because the older I get the more I appreciate how hard it is to do something really well and to keep your integrity while doing it. He appears to have done so. KF is always quick to credit Hayden's tenure for making his own extended run at Iowa possible, and to direct whatever praise comes his way during the up times to his players and coaches. And during the not-so-good times, to take the blame on himself. We need more leaders like him around.

One of the reasons that Iowa and the BIG hasn't fared so well in bowl games is because we tend to get matched up with higher ranked teams (excluding the rose Bowl). Florida won their division in the SEC and finished 2nd in the conference. Iowa finished 2nd in the West and tied for 5th overall. At least that's how I remember it most years, but I'm old and could just be imagining things.
I wouldn't say inflated record. But we do get to higher bowl games than we "should." Reason #1 is the Big Ten's bowl agreements are, overall, much better (prestige/payout) than other conferences, because the Big as a whole has the best reputation for traveling support. #2, even among the Big Ten, Iowa is considered a prize catch, almost guaranteed to pull our weight in bringing fans and spending money.

So we always end up playing up in the bowl game. So the fact he's almost .500 maybe isn't so bad.

USC 2002 was playing well, but so were we, remember? I don't buy that USC was clearly the #1 team at the end of the regular season. I never heard that until after the Orange Bowl. Miami was supposed to be an all-time team and unbeatable. I'd say they were the most talented team, and Ohio State had a very good team with great chemistry and that knew how to win. Iowa was slaughtering all comers, even ranked teams and on the road. Our offense was derailed by the absurdly long layoff and by not preparing the right way for the game.

Anyway, back on topic, although there are things about Ferentz' gameday decisions and approach I dislike, I wouldn't trade him. I've called for his head before, but the long view still looks good. The program as a whole is in good shape, and good hands.

Make solid points. In KF era for bowl games the opponent has been favored in vast majority of the games and I know they have in the last 5 (Last 7 teams Iowa has played in a bowl has finished season ranked). No excuse for losses but shows Iowa is playing quality teams and I'd rather get blown out in the Rose Bowl then win the bowl game in Detroit vs a 6-6 team.

As for the article very well written with excellent rational points. Can KF be frustrating with certain things he does of course but still I think the positives have out weighed the negatives in his tenure. Another thing I just love the stability of Iowa football and you bring up to other fans how we've had only 2 coaches in past 39 years still amazes them especially in todays "what have you done for me now" landscape of college football.

There are always ups and downs, there are only a handful of times KF had real egg on his face that was hard to stomach. Top 3 for me in order of offense, hiring GDGD as OC, Wisky's fake punt,and not going for the win in regulation at the Shoe (honorable mention JC over Stanzi at QB). While not electric, there has been way more highs than lows.

Reactions: terrehawk
This decade has been rough for Iowa in bowl games no doubt. I think part of the problem is Iowa has soft non-conference schedules and has racked up inflated records which lands them in bowls they are decidedly underdogs in.

The 2002 USC Trojans were playing like the best team in the country the last month of the season. Carson Palmer was absolutely tearing it up. If I were a betting man, my money would have been on USC over Ohio State or Miami that year, had USC been given a crack at the NC. I don't quite understand your last sentence, but it sounds like we agree that by the end of the year USC was the best team in college football.

non-conference games do not affect conference standings, which is the primary thing used when bowls pick the teams

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Iowa doesn't have soft non-con schedules. Compared to the average, they are slightly above average. That is how non-cons are scheduled nowadays.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Iowa doesn't have soft non-con schedules. Compared to the average, they are slightly above average. That is how non-cons are scheduled nowadays.
Disagree.

Iowa has bad luck sharing the state with ISU and having them in the schedule. But you don't see them going and finding teams like Alabama and LSU to play like Wisconsin does.

It'd be suicide for Iowa to do that. The only thing close to our bowl performances are the early year performances. Iowa is a notoriously slow starting team and we'd probably not fair well against one of the big boys early on. We have all we can handle this year with Wyoming.

Kirk has had 5 great seasons with just 2 or 3 losses but the rest are all 8-5 or worse. Either finishes 8th at the end of the year or completely outside the top 25. That's what frustrates people, other than 2002-2004 there hasn't been sustained success that we can all see is possible.

Kirk has had 5 great seasons with just 2 or 3 losses but the rest are all 8-5 or worse. Either finishes 8th at the end of the year or completely outside the top 25. That's what frustrates people, other than 2002-2004 there hasn't been sustained success that we can all see is possible.

Ok know I'm going to get roasted for this but even Hayden had some down years and only 6 seasons with less than 4 losses. However Hayden had a better longer stretch of success especially from 81' to 87'. Hayden had more finishes in top 25 but KF has more top 10s. But I agree with you the lack of sustained success has been frustrating. That's why last year least hoping for 9 or 10 wins to keep the ball rolling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT