ADVERTISEMENT

There’s no good reason to keep Caitlin Clark out of the WNBA draft

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Keegan flew the coop. Sacramento selected him with the fourth pick in June.

Kris remained in Iowa City. On Friday, he announced he was entering the 2023 NBA draft.

Yet all along, arguably the best basketball player at Iowa — whom the country, amazingly, appeared just to discover last month, despite a third straight season averaging basically 27 points — never had a choice. Because Caitlin Clark is a woman. And gender is discriminated against in pro basketball.

As LeBron James, who graduated from high school and went straight to the Cleveland Cavaliers without passing through college, tweeted last year at this time: “I’m sitting here after watching the WNBA draft the other day and wondering WHY THE HELL do those young ladies have to stay in school for 4 years before being able to go pro??!!! I’m CONFUSED.”

Candace Buckner: Angel Reese, Caitlin Clark and the moment we’ll all remember
The 2023 WNBA draft is Monday. Here’s the deal: For a woman to be eligible for its draft, she must be at least 22 during the year of the draft. Or have graduated from college, specifically a four-year institution. Or be set to graduate from a four-year institution within three months of the draft. Or have gone to a four-year university where her original class would have met those prerequisites within three months of the draft. Or just be faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Men need to be 19 to be eligible for the NBA draft. Even that is too restrictive a rule on labor for me.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/spo...ry-men-or-women/vi-AA198IyI?ocid=winp1taskbar

It long has been time to do away with age requirements for professional basketball. As a short-lived neophyte general manager of the Dallas Mavericks, Frank Zaccanelli, once quipped about putting together an NBA team, “Hey, this isn’t brain surgery.”

But it is particularly galling that the regulations for men and women to monetize their athletic talent as professionals are dissimilar. Just as it was galling during the 2021 NCAA basketball tournaments when women weren’t afforded the same exercise space and equipment as men, something observers realized after Oregon’s Sedona Prince and others posted images of the paltry setup the NCAA provided women.

So although Clark is a junior, like Kris Murray, and is 21, as was Keegan when he turned pro a year ago, she is ineligible to take her talents to the WNBA. With a January birthday, she won’t be allowed to do so until 2024, when she is a senior. That’s ridiculous. Unfair. Inequitable. Straight-up sexist.

Clark hasn’t complained. She even suggested on the “Dan Patrick Show” that she might remain in college a fifth year. “That’s where I want to be [the WNBA], but I have another year here [Iowa] and possibly one more after that just because of covid,” Clark told Patrick in February. “I probably will have to make a decision on that sometime next year. I really have no clue what I’m going to do, stay for an extra year or leave after next year.”

Her newfound rival at champion LSU, Angel Reese — also locked out of the WNBA because of its age and class requirements — said she was in no rush to get to the pros because of this newfangled NIL landscape, which allows college athletes to earn endorsement money selling themselves to sponsors. “I’m chilling right now,” Reese said last week on the “I Am Athlete” podcast. “The money I’m making is more than some of the people that are in the league that might be top players.”

The rookie salary in the WNBA is roughly $72,000 for the top picks. I’ve yet to see a 1099 for what anyone in this new class of college athletes is making, but I’ve heard the numbers, as have you. Hundreds of thousands of dollars, into the millions for some. And sadly, it seems, many of the women’s athletes are having to accept the commodification of their sexuality to score the lucrativeness of these NIL deals.

Sally Jenkins: Beyond the tears, taunts and technical, LSU achieves a sparkling title
But that isn’t the immediate point. Instead, it is that college athletes, be they men or women, still aren’t sharing in the revenue they produce for their coaches, athletic directors and conference commissioners — who have become, or are becoming, millionaires off the unpaid work of those college athletes. More urgently, women in college should have the same opportunity as the men playing on the same courts or fields to leave it behind for the professional ranks.

As much as suddenly minted women’s college basketball fans — who apparently weren’t tuned into Mississippi State’s buzzer-beater in the 2017 tournament to break Connecticut’s 111-game winning streak or Kristi Toliver’s championship-game-tying three-pointer that propelled Maryland to the 2006 title in overtime or countless other thrilling moments in the women’s game — want a rematch of Clark and Reese next season, why not stage it in the WNBA? Like Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, drafted after his sophomore year, did in the NBA, a year after they met in the national championship game?

What a boon that would be for a league that continues to struggle for attendance, TV viewership and the revenue and revenue sharing to sustain itself and expand to absorb all the talent the college ranks are honing. Iowa, for example, temporarily suspended its ticket sales for Hawkeyes women’s basketball next season because of the overwhelming demand to witness Clark. The WNBA could use that injection of excitement. And it wouldn’t hurt the college game, which sports media analysts have said is already worth exponentially more than its current valuation.

With Clark and Reese having no choice except to return to their campuses next season, that calculation adds up easily. It’s just that they, or any other women, shouldn’t have to help lift college basketball — at the expense of their pro careers.

It's a choice between the WNBA and the player's union. Just like the men having to be 1 year removed from HS is a choice between the NBA and player's union.

Agree with it or not, it was collectively bargained. They can't just change it. It would have to be approved by both.

Why would a league that loses money like a sieve, have any desire to add three high earning years to contracts of players in said money losing league?

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Except that she is prolly making more with her NIL than what she would make in the WNBA?
Why do people keep making this point? Yes, Clark’s current NIL deals almost certainly exceed what her base rookie salary will be. But she will continue to sign endorsement deals in the WNBA and the sum of her base salary and those deals will probably be more than what she is earning in college.

Reactions: dgordo
Why do people keep making this point? Yes, Clark’s current NIL deals almost certainly exceed what her base rookie salary will be. But she will continue to sign endorsement deals in the WNBA and the sum of her base salary and those deals will probably be more than what she is earning in college.

I'd be interested to see what she makes next year.....it's going to be high, IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up making more in her next two season at Iowa than she makes in her first two years of the WNBA (salary and enorsements). People actually watch women's college basketball, unlike the WNBA. More to be gained for advertisers.

Right. My point is she isn’t hurting for money or anything as we speak. Kind of like fulfilling your first contract in the pros (her U of I commitment in this case) and getting that big second contract…

Playing in sold arenas making more money in college is a reason to stay.

Google says the highest paid wnba player makes $228,094. That’s the economics of the wnba. Clark isn’t going to shatter that and all of a sudden command millions.

Reactions: joelbc1
Because other people don't understand that some question how the endorsement numbers might be different between the WNBA and Women's College Basketball.

If I'm Nike, Buick, or whoever the hell is looking to sign Clark, I'm sure as hell thinking about these numbers.

2022 WNBA Finals TV viewership

Game 1Aces 67, Sun 643 p.m.SundayABC555,296
Game 2Aces 85, Sun 719 p.m.TuesdayESPN649,062
Game 3Sun 105, Aces 769 p.m.ThursdayESPN579,522
Game 4Aces 78, Sun 714 p.m.SundayESPN395,847

2023 Women's Final Four/NC

Per ESPN, across its platforms, the two NCAA tournament semifinal games averaged 4.5 million viewers, up 66% from last season’s Final Four games.

The gritty battle for the women’s college basketball championship on Sunday between Louisiana State and Iowa drew an average of 9.9 million viewers, making it the most viewed N.C.A.A. women’s basketball final in television history, ESPN said on Monday. Peak viewership hovered around 12.6 million views and overall viewership was about double the viewership of the championship game last year.

https://theathletic.com/3612516/2022/09/20/wnba-finals-ratings-nfl/

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/03/sports/ncaabasketball/lsu-iowa-womens-tournament-ratings-record.html#:~:text=Peak viewership hovered around 12.6,streaming platform, the network said.

Having said that, I see no reason why the rules are in place to prohibit players from leaving for the WNBA whenever they want. Let the players decide what's best for them.

Personally I think the WNBA rules are great especially now with NIL. I guess I'm old school, but I think there is great value in finishing your degree. Being a great athlete doesn't last forever, education does.
What if staying and getting an education isn't what the player feels is in her best interest? You don't think these girls are smart enough to decide what they should do with their professional careers?

Seems to me CC has had more visibility as a college player than any current WNBA player. That's not going to travel with her if the WNBA itself is an image downer.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
What if staying and getting an education isn't what the player feels is in her best interest? You don't think these girls are smart enough to decide what they should do with their professional careers?
I think that is why the WNBA made the rule. Most of us often don't make the best decisions in our early 20s. I think the girls are smart, but when you're young it's easy to not look very far into the future.

I think that is why the WNBA made the rule. Most of us often don't make the best decisions in our early 20s. I think the girls are smart, but when you're young it's easy to not look very far into the future.
So they're smart, just not smart enough to know what's best for them.

Gotcha.

It's a choice between the WNBA and the player's union. Just like the men having to be 1 year removed from HS is a choice between the NBA and player's union.

Agree with it or not, it was collectively bargained. They can't just change it. It would have to be approved by both.
Exactly. I’m sure the worst player in the league is perfectly happy for her to be ineligible.

I'd be interested to see what she makes next year.....it's going to be high, IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up making more in her next two season at Iowa than she makes in her first two years of the WNBA (salary and enorsements). People actually watch women's college basketball, unlike the WNBA. More to be gained for advertisers.
This. Her sponsors are paying for exposure which Caitlyn gets beyond any WNBA player by virtue of playing in college. Once she goes to the WNBA that exposure will go down considerably as will the value of those endorsement deals.

It wouldn't surprise me if CC has enough credits to graduate at the end of this semester or next semester. I think a lot of athletes take summer classes and graduate early

Reactions: gohawks50
This. Her sponsors are paying for exposure which Caitlyn gets beyond any WNBA player by virtue of playing in college. Once she goes to the WNBA that exposure will go down considerably as will the value of those endorsement deals.
What makes you think her exposure will go down considerably once she goes to the WNBA?

Playing in sold arenas making more money in college is a reason to stay.

Google says the highest paid wnba player makes $228,094. That’s the economics of the wnba. Clark isn’t going to shatter that and all of a sudden command millions.
Her current NIL is 7 figures she needs to stay in college 2 more years and shatter records. Then go WNBA and sign more deals.

What makes you think her exposure will go down considerably once she goes to the WNBA?
Really? For starters, look at post #9.

Playing in the B10 with much bigger crowds in the arenas and on TV provides far more exposure for her and her sponsors.

I so badly wanted to make an abortion reference to this post, but I decided against it.

It wouldn't surprise me if CC has enough credits to graduate at the end of this semester or next semester. I think a lot of athletes take summer classes and graduate early
Given the fact that she is very smart as well, she'll likely have a Master's degree if she sticks around another two years.

Playing in the B10 with much bigger crowds in the arenas
I doubt that national sponsors like Nike, Topps. and H&R Block care much if she's playing in front of 15,000 fans at Carver-Hawkeye Arena or 7,500 fans at the Barclays Center. Gate receipts don't really factor into their equations.
and on TV provides far more exposure for her and her sponsors.
Iowa vs Indiana on February drew 325,000 viewers. That was the largest audience ever for a women's basketball game on the Big Ten Network. The previous record was 286,000 viewers when Iowa played Nebraska in the Big Ten Tournament last year. Iowa vs Maryland in this year's Big Ten Tournament drew 380,000 viewers.

The average tv audience for a regular season WNBA game on ESPN last year was 372,000. There will be just as many people watching Caitlin in the WNBA as there are watching her now. National sponsors care about national exposure, not just regional. She will play dozens of games every year with larger tv audiences than what she had for most of her college career.

Kinda depends. Is she more visible and marketable as a marquee college player or in the WNBA? Her national fame is due solely to the tourney…as was noted in the story, most people didn’t know she existed a month ago. Will she draw eyes to tv next year during the regular season or will it be another year of relative obscurity until it’s time to dance in March? Will people watch with the same interest when she’s playing in the WNBA playoffs?

Reactions: hwk23
Kinda depends. Is she more visible and marketable as a marquee college player or in the WNBA? Her national fame is due solely to the tourney…as was noted in the story, most people didn’t know she existed a month ago. Will she draw eyes to tv next year during the regular season or will it be another year of relative obscurity until it’s time to dance in March? Will people watch with the same interest when she’s playing in the WNBA playoffs?
Whether or not her star quality has staying power on the national stage remains to be seen. She has been a rock star in Iowa for the past 3 years. But as you mentioned, a lot of people across the country only recently became familiar with her,

Iowa/Georgia drew the largest tv audience of any first or second round game in women's NCAA Tournament history. Iowa/Louisville drew the largest tv audience of any Elite Eight game in women's NCAA Tournament history. Iowa/South Carolina drew the largest tv audience of any national semifinal game in women's NCAA Tournament history. And Iowa/LSU drew the largest tv audience of any women's college basketball game ever played. One thing all those games had in common was Caitlin Clark.

If/when the novelty of a skinny white girl launching jump shots from the logo becomes old news, I believe that on a national level just as many fans, if not more, will tune in to watch her play against the New York Liberty or the Chicago Sky than will tune in to watch her play against Drake or Belmont or Purdue or Wisconsin.

I doubt that national sponsors like Nike, Topps. and H&R Block care much if she's playing in front of 15,000 fans at Carver-Hawkeye Arena or 7,500 fans at the Barclays Center. Gate receipts don't really factor into their equations.

Iowa vs Indiana on February drew 325,000 viewers. That was the largest audience ever for a women's basketball game on the Big Ten Network. The previous record was 286,000 viewers when Iowa played Nebraska in the Big Ten Tournament last year. Iowa vs Maryland in this year's Big Ten Tournament drew 380,000 viewers.

The average tv audience for a regular season WNBA game on ESPN last year was 372,000. There will be just as many people watching Caitlin in the WNBA as there are watching her now. National sponsors care about national exposure, not just regional. She will play dozens of games every year with larger tv audiences than what she had for most of her college career.
SMH. You don't think national sponsors care about having more eyes on the players they sponsor? The average WNBA game draws less than 5700 per game. Iowa averaged over 10,500. And the trend is skyrocketing for both in person and TV viewership which is why Caitlyn's value continues to rise. Millions were watching her in the NCAA tournament, not a measly few hundred thousand that watch the WNBA playoffs. Her name recognition is nationwide due to her play as a college player - the vast majority of those who know Caitlyn couldn't name the WNBA MVP from last year.

The popularity of women's BB is exploding at the college level, not the WNBA. Sponsors are smart enough to realize this.

But ... it's NOT all about the money, you know. CC loves college life and the U of Iowa. She loves her current teammates. She loves the game of basketball at the collegiate level. She loves being a role model for young girls as a college student-athlete. Why would she ever give it all up just to join the WNBA now? The WNBA will be waiting for her when she runs out of collegiate eligibility.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT