ADVERTISEMENT

There are now 0 Restrictions in regards to NIL

This applies to all schools in all states, of course, not just Tennessee & Virginia.

And it appears the deals can be whatever they want.

I remember first hearing about NIL.

I thought, 'it's cool the players will get some extra "beer & pizza" money off jerseys & etc. sale kickbacks'.

To now, where players are raking in multi-million dollar deals - as recruiting pitches!!! - to let businesses use them & their likeness to sell services and products.

This can't be what the original thinking and planning for what NIL would be. It can't be.

This also is removing the desire and need for their futures. Why work to make it to the professional level of the sport you play when you can just as easily get yourself set for life (financially) while still in college??

It really sucks politics came into this and ****ed it all up. That’s why this is wide open.
Politics? The US Supreme Court opened the door to college athlete compensation. Justices Gorsuch and Cavanaugh made it pretty clear that NCAA restrictions against NIL would violate anti-trust laws (NCAA vs. Alston). It eas a 9-0 decision. NCAA had no other option - they dropped NIL restrictions.

Reactions: hawk224
I warned people NIL was going to be a bad thing because one it started it would open up. College sports as we know it are finished. They just need to become a minor league.

It’s not even NIL it’s straight payments.
I think that it started when the NCAA was worried that a player might get a dollar to buy a burger or soda instead of it going into its pocket.

Reactions: Macbride79
could the NCAA put a limit on teams NIL similar to salary caps? What’s stopping pro sports unions from going to court against the MLB, NFL and so on because they’re limiting players earning potential?

Division 1 athletics as truly “amateur” has been dead for years. Massive TV deals, special dorms and facilities for athletes only, huge salaries, the recruiting industry, etc. For some reason, the NCAA was committed to maintaining the illusion, the whole time lining its own pockets in the process. I don’t like it either, but in a lot of ways, it’s probably better the curtain has been torn down completely.

Side note: this is a good reason to support your local D3 schools, where a lot of talented kids are practicing and playing simply for the love of the game. We’re blessed to have many D3 schools in Iowa that compete at a high level in numerous sports. Check them out.

could the NCAA put a limit on teams NIL similar to salary caps? What’s stopping pro sports unions from going to court against the MLB, NFL and so on because they’re limiting players earning potential?
I think the pro unions realize there are limits and parity keeps more interest longer. Just look at baseball with the Ohtoni deal. Huge contract with Dodgers and most deferred out like 10 years. Total sham deal when it comes to any salary cap.

Division 1 athletics as truly “amateur” has been dead for years. Massive TV deals, special dorms and facilities for athletes only, huge salaries, the recruiting industry, etc. For some reason, the NCAA was committed to maintaining the illusion, the whole time lining its own pockets in the process. I don’t like it either, but in a lot of ways, it’s probably better the curtain has been torn down completely.

Side note: this is a good reason to support your local D3 schools, where a lot of talented kids are practicing and playing simply for the love of the game. We’re blessed to have many D3 schools in Iowa that compete at a high level in numerous sports. Check them out.
How long before D3 athletes start demanding pay for play? High school athletes after that? Colleges and high schools will start eliminating sports and some of these athletes will strictly become students. Shame on those schools and greedy boosters that put winning above what is right.

I'm sure you all remember when President Teddy Roosevelt had to step in and reform college football because the play became so violent that players were actually being killed on the field. Well, Ted is gone, and our current president probably is not capable of doing anything. But every college and university receive large amounts of federal grants etc. I know it is a very long shot but perhaps a bipartisan group from congress could step in and demand some changes or the money goes away. I know this is pie in the sky, but I have nothing better to offer.

You guys love it and you know it. Now, whip out your check book and make it out to the swarm. Don't you want a 17 year old making more money than you do, even when you or your spouse or both, work a full time job? He or she needs to work on his sports, girl or boyfriend and ya know, be a student athlete. The practice of grown ass adults worshipping basically teens makes me laugh my ass off.

Last edited:
I know it is a very long shot but perhaps a bipartisan group from congress could step in and demand some changes or the money goes away. I know this is pie in the sky, but I have nothing better to offer.
Yep, it's just a money game. I get NIL. Why shouldn't an American get as much as he/she can for his name, image, and likeness? It's called freedom. And it doesn't trump our entertainment value.

But when it comes to receiving taxpayer money, the government can step in and make about any constitutional limitations they want . Congress has the purse strings.

Reactions: GOHOX69
It’s not a final decision, but it doesn’t look good for the NCAA. As to the future, I just don’t think it’s sustainable. It may take some time but it will find its level at some point, or else some schools are just going to raise the white flag and say We’re out. As an Iowa fan, I’m concerned. Not that Iowa will be “out” but will not able to keep up year after year.

How long before D3 athletes start demanding pay for play? High school athletes after that? Colleges and high schools will start eliminating sports and some of these athletes will strictly become students. Shame on those schools and greedy boosters that put winning above what is right.
Could happen in theory, but in reality it’s a different ballgame. There aren’t enough donors or interest at the D3 level to drive it.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Things just got worse today when it comes to NIL and pay to play.

Anything, literally, goes.

The arrogance and lack of foresight by the NCAA caused this shit show. They could have created a system that paid players and slowly evolved the rules over two decades ago, but they believed they had all the power. It wasn't that long ago that a coach and player would face discipline if the coach bought a hungry kid a meal or gave him a few bucks to get things he needed. How focking dumb is that? Well, it led to where we are now. The big conferences need to band together and leave the NCAA. There are enough lawyers to make that cleanly happen, and stop paying the head of the NCAA millions to run an organization that takes months to make decisions on an athlete's eligibility, often incorrectly.

The arrogance and lack of foresight by the NCAA caused this shit show. They could have created a system that paid players and slowly evolved the rules over two decades ago, but they believed they had all the power. It wasn't that long ago that a coach and player would face discipline if the coach bought a hungry kid a meal or gave him a few bucks to get things he needed. How focking dumb is that? Well, it led to where we are now. The big conferences need to band together and leave the NCAA. There are enough lawyers to make that cleanly happen, and stop paying the head of the NCAA millions to run an organization that takes months to make decisions on an athlete's eligibility, often incorrectly.
Yep, the NCAA did this to themselves.

Reactions: amahawk
money spent for no money gained will eventually even this out.
This is a GREAT point FIB that I brought up early on as well. How long before the big donors start looking at their outlay of cash vs their ROI and realize they may as well just set the $$ on fire, because they are getting NOTHING for this investment? I mean think about it. The top schools are going to keep on putting out the big money. Certainly the Texas, OSU, Michigans, and USC for example have more resources then many including schools like Iowa, and the majority of the rest of the top 65. In the end only a few schools really compete. Sure every few years someone may slip in but I'm not buying for a second that this is really going to change the "who's who of the sport". Texas A & M went all in in this deal and got burned BAD already. How long before the Money behind the majority of schools see that nothing has really changed and the same few teams dominate and ALL they are doing is wasting all that cash on a bunch of high school prima donas who move from school to school, and their alma mater has really not benefited in any significant way by this influx of cash? It may take a few years but Even the SEC and B1G are going to have a hard time keeping these games competitive of the lower half in each league throw their hands and say the hell with it, because they just can't either keep throwing that level of cash at it, and not winning. Sure the B1G and SEC SCHOOLS will have the TV money, but if the best athletes keep taking all the cash at the top 4 schools in each league how sustainable will it be, not from the schools perspective, but from the donors?

Reactions: Fan In Black
Just another point. I would imagine when deep pockets donate to the schools, there are ways for them to get tax breaks for these donations. Are they able to get the same kind of tax incentives when they donate to specific individual players or say a collective like the swarm? Doesn't seem like that would be a justifiable deduction, but not sure.

I remember first hearing about NIL.

I thought, 'it's cool the players will get some extra "beer & pizza" money off jerseys & etc. sale kickbacks'.

To now, where players are raking in multi-million dollar deals - as recruiting pitches!!! - to let businesses use them & their likeness to sell services and products.

This can't be what the original thinking and planning for what NIL would be. It can't be.

This also is removing the desire and need for their futures. Why work to make it to the professional level of the sport you play when you can just as easily get yourself set for life (financially) while still in college??
anyone who did not realize that this would inevitably be the result had their heads so far in the sand they had already suffocated.

Just another point. I would imagine when deep pockets donate to the schools, there are ways for them to get tax breaks for these donations. Are they able to get the same kind of tax incentives when they donate to specific individual players or say a collective like the swarm? Doesn't seem like that would be a justifiable deduction, but not sure.
Donations to the collective are tax deductible.

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
Donations to the collective are tax deductible.
There you go. I'm a swarm member and wasn't even sure about that. Still its seems pretty crazy that you can donate money for some athlete to play on your team, and Then deduct it from your taxes. I'm surprised the FED is down with that. Have to wonder if that gets changed at some point.

No the legal system with so little thought and for site did this….
It is my opinion that had the NCAA been proactive, and worked with the athletes 10 years ago to reasonably compensate them, this would not be the clusterfvck it currently is.

Instead they dug their heels in, even though it was clear this would eventually happen to anyone with an ounce of foresight.

They have no one to blame but themselves. The legal system is just doing what it does, like it or not.

There you go. I'm a swarm member and wasn't even sure about that. Still its seems pretty crazy that you can donate money for some athlete to play on your team, and Then deduct it from your taxes. I'm surprised the FED is down with that. Have to wonder if that gets changed at some point.
Yes, it seems ridiculous to me too.

It may indeed not last, but currently it is deductible.

I’m not sure the FED is so much down with it, as they may not have caught up with it? Time will tell.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I know it is a very long shot but perhaps a bipartisan group from congress could step in and demand some changes or the money goes away. I know this is pie in the sky, but I have nothing better to offer.
Congress has the authority to establish uniform college NIL regulations under the commerce clause of the US Constitution. It is my understanding that several proposals have been circulated amongst senators but consensus is still elusive.

Reactions: Hawk68
SCHOLARSHIP LIMITS NO LONGER APPLY.

One of the supposed reasons to lower the amount of available scholarships was to even out the competition. The big dogs couldn't just gobble up 100+ of the best. The playing field was (supposed to be) more level.

One of the sad results of the NIL is that this no longer applies. I'm not saying it's bad that PWOs are getting money to put their bodies on the line against starters every week. I'm just saying that it's easier to go to a blue blood school without a scholarship when you are still making $30K or more as a PWO. This player could potentially contribute to a lesser school and make them more competitive.

Ultimately, unhappy players who see high schoolers promised millions to leapfrog them on the depth chart will transfer. Or if their promised money dries up, they will be gone. Or if they feel undercompensated. Or if... man, enough to make your head spin.

Honestly, it makes me appreciate Kirk's culture and values even more. Work for what you get. No promises.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT