ADVERTISEMENT

There are now 0 Restrictions in regards to NIL

Time to take a stand. Disassociate from NCAA, form new division with rules and punishments.

NIL was the devil in enititled clothing, congrats.

If a new division is started with rules and punishments that will put all teams in that division at a competitive disadvantage

Congress has the authority to establish uniform college NIL regulations under the commerce clause of the US Constitution. It is my understanding that several proposals have been circulated amongst senators but consensus is still elusive.

I would imagine the congressmen from states with schools with large NIL donations would be hesitant to support such legislation

Reactions: 83Hawk
There you go. I'm a swarm member and wasn't even sure about that. Still its seems pretty crazy that you can donate money for some athlete to play on your team, and Then deduct it from your taxes. I'm surprised the FED is down with that. Have to wonder if that gets changed at some point.

People still need to better familiarize themselves with what SWARM is and how it operates, and how it connects athletes with the charities.

How Are Student-Athletes Compensated?

Student-athletes are paid by raising money or providing a service to community charities and nonprofits or by connecting with local businesses to market their goods or services. These activities could include autograph sessions, meet & greets, service work at non-profit events, promotion of a charities event or cause, after school programs, etc.

Does Swarm Gift Student-Athletes Money?

Student-athletes cannot receive ‘pay for play’ and NIL payments cannot be used to induce prospects. All payments must have a ‘value exchange’ between the nonprofit/charity and the student-athlete.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
People still need to better familiarize themselves with what SWARM is and how it operates, and how it connects athletes with the charities.

Student-athletes are paid by raising money or providing a service to community charities and nonprofits or by connecting with local businesses to market their goods or services. These activities could include autograph sessions, meet & greets, service work at non-profit events, promotion of a charities event or cause, after school programs, etc.

Student-athletes cannot receive ‘pay for play’ and NIL payments cannot be used to induce prospects. All payments must have a ‘value exchange’ between the nonprofit/charity and the student-athlete.

so any deal has to be worked out after they have signed and no amount can be discussed before they sign? Am I reading that right?

Reactions: hawkdave007
Eventually we will get to a point where no more money is there to support the continued expansion of crazy money.

My guess is by the time that happens there will be a lot less teams with a seat at that table. The schools left behind will be the minor leagues for the elite schools, if they look good a true elite will sweep them away for lifetime wealth. Eventually that will lead to less fan interest for many schools and maybe that causes the entire thing to collapse.

We are likely a generation or two away.

How long before D3 athletes start demanding pay for play? High school athletes after that? Colleges and high schools will start eliminating sports and some of these athletes will strictly become students. Shame on those schools and greedy boosters that put winning above what is right.
D3 Schools can just close down the programs and go intramural , They are not revenue generators like D1. Athletes at that level are best served keeping Their pie holes shut and enjoy any scholarship , food and medical benefits They get.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I remember first hearing about NIL.

I thought, 'it's cool the players will get some extra "beer & pizza" money off jerseys & etc. sale kickbacks'.

To now, where players are raking in multi-million dollar deals - as recruiting pitches!!! - to let businesses use them & their likeness to sell services and products.

This can't be what the original thinking and planning for what NIL would be. It can't be.

This also is removing the desire and need for their futures. Why work to make it to the professional level of the sport you play when you can just as easily get yourself set for life (financially) while still in college??
I knew it would be bad but not this. I also knew it would make me care less about Iowa Football and basketball. I don’t watch men’s basketball much at all and football is gaining. I feel next to nothing when they lose now.

Reactions: HawkBall23
I'm sure you all remember when President Teddy Roosevelt had to step in and reform college football because the play became so violent that players were actually being killed on the field. Well, Ted is gone, and our current president probably is not capable of doing anything. But every college and university receive large amounts of federal grants etc. I know it is a very long shot but perhaps a bipartisan group from congress could step in and demand some changes or the money goes away. I know this is pie in the sky, but I have nothing better to offer.
JFC.

I knew it would be bad but not this. I also knew it would make me care less about Iowa Football and basketball. I don’t watch men’s basketball much at all and football is gaining. I feel next to nothing when they lose now.
Same, although I usually try to stick it out with the football games longer - unless they're playing @ OSU, Michigan, etc; IE, a sure loss. Hawks can't ever be truly be written off when the D & STs can sometimes pull rabbits out of their hats. And its 12 (13/14) games for football vs 30+ with bball.

Iowa will land the occasional 'potential superstar' or two, either in recruiting or the transfer portal, but they won't be able to continually restock high-level talent like the elites of their respective sports will.

Maybe its a 'getting older' thing, but sports fandom is not the huuuge part of my life anymore like it used to be. The "pay for play" NIL landscape & a transfer portal with a virtually unlimited usage for any and all is certainly not helping this new viewpoint of the importance of following collegiate sports in my free time like it used to be, IMO.

Reactions: peacehawk and Moral
The arrogance and lack of foresight by the NCAA caused this shit show. They could have created a system that paid players and slowly evolved the rules over two decades ago, but they believed they had all the power. It wasn't that long ago that a coach and player would face discipline if the coach bought a hungry kid a meal or gave him a few bucks to get things he needed. How focking dumb is that? Well, it led to where we are now. The big conferences need to band together and leave the NCAA. There are enough lawyers to make that cleanly happen, and stop paying the head of the NCAA millions to run an organization that takes months to make decisions on an athlete's eligibility, often incorrectly.
Let's review:
The NCAA is a non-profit organization put together by colleges and universities to run competitions and enforce rules determined by those colleges and universities.
The NCAA has no real power and returns excess surplus funds to those schools they work for.
So blaming the NCAA is dumb...blame the University presidents...the NCAA is just the messenger.

As for straight paying the athletes that would make them employees of the schools and that would destroy the amateur status.

They increased the stipend to 36k/yr as cost of school equivalent.
Anyone think that giving them a bigger stipend years ago would preclude them seeking more is kidding themselves.
The courts opened this can of worms.
And the courts will render any attempt to impose any restrictions on athletes earning moot, with or without the NCAA.

I hate to say it but we.are experiencing the death throes of an entertainment system we all have loved and enjoyed for 75 years.
Blame the courts or college presidents but not the NCAA.

It's rather disheartening when you realize that the school you've pulled for your entire life is one of the ones that will fall by the wayside, primarily due to the inequity of funds available and the conservative attitude of the coaches toward NIL.

Time to take a stand. Disassociate from NCAA, form new division with rules and punishments.

NIL was the devil in enititled clothing, congrats.
Are conferences even that necessary in football? I get that the B1G and SEC are the big dogs but could they separate from ncaa and merge or cluster with other P5 programs to form a broader alliance?

Reactions: obfuscating
It's rather disheartening when you realize that the school you've pulled for your entire life is one of the ones that will fall by the wayside, primarily due to the inequity of funds available and the conservative attitude of the coaches toward NIL.
You have to direct that at the president and AD. They allow it to happen because money keeps pouring in and while the goose is not golden it is green enough to not rock the boat I guess, but people like Barta can’t even spell innovative. New AD has her hands full.

If a new division is started with rules and punishments that will put all teams in that division at a competitive disadvantage
A new division that doesn't play unsanctioned NIL schools. Those that wish to play in the unsanctioned, cannot play the new division.

Either stop it now, or it will grow and worsen. Like a festering wound.

• Sad
Reactions: BirdistheWord
Let's review:
The NCAA is a non-profit organization put together by colleges and universities to run competitions and enforce rules determined by those colleges and universities.
The NCAA has no real power and returns excess surplus funds to those schools they work for.
So blaming the NCAA is dumb...blame the University presidents...the NCAA is just the messenger.

As for straight paying the athletes that would make them employees of the schools and that would destroy the amateur status.

Anyone think that giving them a bigger stipend years ago would preclude them seeking more is kidding themselves.
And the courts will render any attempt to impose any restrictions on athletes earning moot, with or without the NCAA.

I hate to say it but we.are experiencing the death throes of an entertainment system we all have loved and enjoyed for 75 years.
Correct, the NCAA enforces rules. Rules could have been created and enforced by the NCAA regarding payments to players. The payments didn't have to come directly from schools, but as for "amateur" status, who tf would consider college athletes amateurs now? You're splitting hairs, although I understand the employee status if the money came from the school.

If you want to blame the college presidents as well, fine, but the NCAA is culpable for not trying to get ahead of this 25+ years ago. There's a reason it was the NCAA on the losing end of this case, and it's not because the presidents are a bunch of dicks who left them out to dry. It's because it was their job all along to figure out how to keep this from it's current state.

Your assertion the courts would have overturned any attempt to keep this at bay could be accurate, but it's too late to even try now, hence the aforementioned shit show. You can blame whoever you like, but the NCAA doesn't get a pass from me, or the majority of fans who are watching college sport devolve into an all out money grab.

Reactions: Ronman
D3 Schools can just close down the programs and go intramural , They are not revenue generators like D1. Athletes at that level are best served keeping Their pie holes shut and enjoy any scholarship , food and medical benefits They get.
Sports is vital to DIII schools. Sports are a giant tuition machine for DIII. Central football has over 100 kids on their roster. Every single one comes with a big fat tuition check. Take away sports and I would bet DIII schools lose close to half their enrollment and most would go belly up.

1/2 the students at Central College play a sport. Central college needs sports more than Iowa does.

Also DIII can get NIL also.

You can’t legally cap NIL any challenge would get shot down in court.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Correct, the NCAA enforces rules. Rules could have been created and enforced by the NCAA regarding payments to players. The payments didn't have to come directly from schools, but as for "amateur" status, who tf would consider college athletes amateurs now? You're splitting hairs, although I understand the employee status if the money came from the school.

If you want to blame the college presidents as well, fine, but the NCAA is culpable for not trying to get ahead of this 25+ years ago. There's a reason it was the NCAA on the losing end of this case, and it's not because the presidents are a bunch of dicks who left them out to dry. It's because it was their job all along to figure out how to keep this from it's current state.

Your assertion the courts would have overturned any attempt to keep this at bay could be accurate, but it's too late to even try now, hence the aforementioned shit show. You can blame whoever you like, but the NCAA doesn't get a pass from me, or the majority of fans who are watching college sport devolve into an all out money grab.
NCAA is far from perfect but they simply did not have the authority to implement changes you suggest without the approval of their bosses, college presidents.
They make a convenient scapegoat for fans who do not understand the structure of college sports.

This brave new world sucks for old school fans like me.
Wish there was some happy medium cap where athletes get a reasonable compensation as apprentices training for being professionals after college.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
Honest question - what is the purpose of the NCAA? Why are there people who have high paying jobs and getting a kickback off of student performance in this organization? How come we can't disband this and keep a rules committee at this point?

What Would You Say You Do Here Office Space GIF

Maybe the time for " College " sports has passed. I wouldn't blame schools for saying to hell with it and return to focusing on education. The NFL can fund its own minor league.

Reactions: peacehawk
I remember first hearing about NIL.

I thought, 'it's cool the players will get some extra "beer & pizza" money off jerseys & etc. sale kickbacks'.

To now, where players are raking in multi-million dollar deals - as recruiting pitches!!! - to let businesses use them & their likeness to sell services and products.

This can't be what the original thinking and planning for what NIL would be. It can't be.

This also is removing the desire and need for their futures. Why work to make it to the professional level of the sport you play when you can just as easily get yourself set for life (financially) while still in college??

It's pretty clear that Nico Iamaleava (and his "camp") were negotiating compensation with at least one school well before he committed to Tennessee. This is the definition of pay to play.

The proof: the week before Iamaleava committed to Tennessee, Stewart Mandel of The Athletic reported that a 5-star prospect signed a contract with a school's NIL collective to pay him upwards of $8 million by the end of his junior year.

So, with the $8M contract signed, this happened on March 21, 2022:

Source:

This is one arm of SWARM; the charitable arm.

The other arm is SWARM Inc, where the deals are made with prospects like Cade McNamara, Erick All, etc. SWARM Inc is funded by the Moon Family and other big wigs.

NCAA is far from perfect but they simply did not have the authority to implement changes you suggest without the approval of their bosses, college presidents.
They make a convenient scapegoat for fans who do not understand the structure of college sports.

This brave new world sucks for old school fans like me.
Wish there was some happy medium cap where athletes get a reasonable compensation as apprentices training for being professionals after college.
The structure is understood. You are minimizing the role and power the NCAA has.

This is one arm of SWARM; the charitable arm.

The other arm is SWARM Inc, where the deals are made with prospects like Cade McNamara, Erick All, etc. SWARM Inc is funded by the Moon Family and other big wigs.
Yes, which is yet another reason why people are confused.

As you point out, it's two separate legal entities, with separate purposes, using a very similar name.

Maybe, maybe not. Saban seemed to worry Bama could not maintain its level. Maybe it means greater parity.

Reactions: hawkdave007
Let's review:

Blame the courts or college presideAnts but not the NCAA.

Let's review:

This was voted on by all the schools, why the NCAA lawyers did not bring that up is odd. The Tennessee and Virginia schools, which are voting members, agreed to these rules, which their AG's fought in court. When you dont like the rules you put in place, and when they are applied to Tennessee for example, this is how so many react today. The lawyer(s) for the NCAA were lame. I am sure the judge did not get the whole story. It's over for now will see what happens in the coming weeks. What's next - they wont attend classes? They will be employees so to speak now. Will contracts have stipulations in them that if you dont do A, B or C, we will not pay you? How will this be any different than the pro's? How does this affect the cost of college tuition for those that have to pay for it? There will be many many unintended consequences of this.

Last edited:
Ofc NIL may end up completely destroying CFB, but I still think athletes should be able to be paid.

The status quo was good for lots of people, but not necessarily the players. Think of all the great players at the collegiate level who can't make it to the pros. They still help generate plenty of revenue, and for those players, this is their one chance to earn life-changing money.

Now what needs to happen is some growth into a more robust structure. There's a reason the NFL and NBA both have salary caps and that neither has unending unrestricted free agency. That produces competition problems and makes it nearly impossible to build a roster with confidence and security.

Something like the following would be way better than the status quo:

1. Athletes are paid by the schools directly, not third parties
2. Salary caps
3. ONE transfer ever per player that results in zero waiting time. All additional transfers require the player to sit one year.
4. A chunk of each year's salary should only be released after the player competes in that year's annual bowl game.

Now I think our current chaos is a necessary transition phase. We were never going to go straight from the players can't be paid a cent to a robust, organized, and fair system.

Crazy how this went from I want a cut of the jersey sales (Fair) or get a piece of the EA Sports pie (Also fair) to it's gonna take 2 million bucks to get my commitment out of high school. Yeah I'm sure in pretty rare circumstances there's been some money exchanged in order to land the 5 stars in the past, but nothing on the scale of what we're seeing now and I'm sure every school had some boosters who could take care of the star QB or RB etc.

MAYBE, the answer should be you can't get NIL as a freshman. There was a time when Freshmen weren't even eligible to play...now they can be millionares without having stepped on the field/court.

Reactions: amahawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT