ADVERTISEMENT

This Has to Be the End of Ferentz

In other words, fans should just sit back and be content that our offense has been virtually THE WORST IN THE FBS FOR 3 YEARS RUNNING. Got it. And that our incompetent OC still has his job only because his dad’s the head coach. Got it.
What exactly is pissing and moaning about it on the internet going to do?

• Haha
Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Probably about the same as sanctimoniously bitching about fans pissing and moaning about their incompetent OC and the nepotism that keeps him employed.
One of those groups acknowledges the fact that outside of the offense Iowa is in a pretty good spot as a program.

The other wants to blow everything up solely to satisfy their impotent rage.

I'm satisfied with where I'm at in that argument.

One of those groups acknowledges the fact that outside of the offense Iowa is in a pretty good spot as a program.

The other wants to blow everything up solely to satisfy their impotent rage.

I'm satisfied with where I'm at in that argument.
Most fans aren’t going to be content to be THE WORST IN THE NATION in one of 3 phases of the game, especially when the guy responsible for that embarrassing fact is only in that position because his dad hired him knowing he was in over his head and refused to make a change for purely selfish reasons.

“In a pretty good spot as a program” is an extremely subjective assessment. Many would argue that no program is “in a good spot” if its offense is DEAD LAST in the nation. This program is mediocre — good enough to barely beat bad teams but not good enough to come remotely close to competing with good teams. I say that as a diehard lifelong Hawk fan.

As much as I’d love for them to be “in a good spot”, claiming that they are would be dishonest IMO. I’d argue that we can’t be in a good spot when at least 1/3 of our program is the worst in the nation and that we shouldn’t tolerate that, especially when nepotism is the main reason why that’s the case.

Most fans aren’t going to be content to be THE WORST IN THE NATION in one of 3 phases of the game, especially when the guy responsible for that embarrassing fact is only in that position because his dad hired him knowing he was in over his head and refused to make a change for purely selfish reasons.

“In a pretty good spot as a program” is an extremely subjective assessment. Many would argue that no program is “in a good spot” if its offense is DEAD LAST in the nation. This program is mediocre — good enough to barely beat bad teams but not good enough to come remotely close to competing with good teams. I say that as a diehard lifelong Hawk fan.

As much as I’d love for them to be “in a good spot”, claiming that they are would be dishonest IMO. I’d argue that we can’t be in a good spot when at least 1/3 of our program is the worst in the nation and that we shouldn’t tolerate that, especially when nepotism is the main reason why that’s the case.
If college football teams were rated and evaluated solely on their offenses you'd have a point, but they're not, they're rated and evaluated on wins and losses, of which Iowa is in the upper tier in the country over the last 10 years.

If college football teams were rated and evaluated solely on their offenses you'd have a point, but they're not, they're rated and evaluated on wins and losses, of which Iowa is in the upper tier in the country over the last 10 years.
Why should a program not try to improve a unit that has been shit for three years?

And you know as well as anyone that Iowa’s W-L record is mostly due to the good fortune of belonging to one of the weakest divisions in the history of the FBS.

To be clear, my beef isn’t with Ken O’Keefe or even Greg Davis. KF obviously wants a certain bland kind of offense so he can play his style of “complimentary” football. My gripe, and the frustration of many Iowa fans, relates to the last 6 years under BF when our highest national offensive ranking was 88th and we’ve been damn near 130 for 3 years. Anyone paying attention realizes that this is completely unacceptable, especially when the ONLY reason our head coach tolerated it is that the OC is his son who never should have been hired in the first place.

Let’s not be conflating the issue here. Iowa fans are pissed off about our impotent offense under BF — not the last 10 years, but rather the last 6 with BF as OC, which outside of a few anomalies have been mediocre at best and absolutely atrocious for 3 years now.

Last edited:
And you know as well as anyone that Iowa’s W-L record is mostly due to the good fortune of belonging to one of the weakest divisions in the history of the FBS.
Stop getting all your sports info from ESPN.

While it's not the mid-2000s SEC west, the Big 10 West has been far better than most would tell you, and the computer models and non-conference / crossover records show that.

To be clear, my beef isn’t with Ken O’Keefe or even Greg Davis. KF obviously wants a certain bland kind of offense so he can play his style of “complimentary” football. My gripe, and the frustration of many Iowa fans, relates to the last 6 years under BF when our highest national offensive ranking was 88th and we’ve been damn near 130 for 3 years. Anyone paying attention realizes that this is completely unacceptable, especially when the ONLY reason our head coach tolerated it is that the OC is his son who never should have been hired in the first place.
I have literally never defended BF's overall performance during this stretch. But yet again, you're missing the forest for the trees by focusing solely on the offensive performance during that time instead of the team's overall record. What some people don't like is that I don't scream it from the top of my lungs at every waking moment, which I refuse to do since it's a waste of breath and energy and I see what it does to a lot of the mouthbreathers on here.

Let’s not be conflating the issue here. Iowa fans are pissed off about our impotent offense under BF — not the last 10 years.”, but rather the last 6 with BF as OC, which outside of a few anomalies have been mediocre at best and absolutely atrocious for 3 years now.
The literal title of the thread is calling for the head of the HC. There's more than a few morons who see the BF situation as simply their next thing in a long line of them to gripe about.

Do you see offensive changes coming as long as Kirk is here? Do you see QB evaluation or development getting better as long as he’s here? It hasn’t for the last half decade at least.
Some, but I know where you're going with this.

Like I've already said many times, the overall state and direction of the program is not worth toppling the whole cart over the offense.

• Haha
Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I kind of am enjoying this season. We are getting a lot of national spotlight, for all the wrong reasons. It shines a light on just how bad things are offensively. We can’t compete with good or better teams, so just enjoy the circus, win 9 or 10 games, and laugh at ourselves.

Stop getting all your sports info from ESPN.

While it's not the mid-2000s SEC west, the Big 10 West has been far better than most would tell you, and the computer models and non-conference / crossover records show that.

I have literally never defended BF's overall performance during this stretch. But yet again, you're missing the forest for the trees by focusing solely on the offensive performance during that time instead of the team's overall record. What some people don't like is that I don't scream it from the top of my lungs at every waking moment, which I refuse to do since it's a waste of breath and energy and I see what it does to a lot of the mouthbreathers on here.

The literal title of the thread is calling for the head of the HC. There's more than a few morons who see the BF situation as simply their next thing in a long line of them to gripe about.
Don’t watch ESPN. The Big Ten West is awful, and everyone realizes this, along with the fact that Iowa has benefited handsomely from its weakness. Nobody needs computer models to recognize what a pathetic division it is. If the Hawks had been in the East for the last 6 years, our record would most assuredly be markedly worse. Anyone being honest would agree.

I’m not missing any forests. Under BF, Iowa football has become painful to watch and a national laughing stock. We were traditionally able to at least compete with the top Big Ten programs. In recent years, due to our inept offense, we simply get embarrassed. And who’s responsible for that? KF. This is ultimately on him. And as long as he insists on keeping his boy as OC, he needs to go. I think he resigns after this season, as he should.

It’s intellectually lazy to simply assume that anyone disagreeing with your position is a “moron” or a “mouth breather”. Perhaps those constantly insulting fans who are fed up with the blatant nepotism could be considered the morons and mouth breathers.

Some, but I know where you're going with this.

Like I've already said many times, the overall state and direction of the program is not worth toppling the whole cart over the offense.
I don’t recall calling for Kirk’s head, but it is incredibly frustrating to watch a coach that isn’t willing to do ANYTHING to improve one of the worst units in the nation. It defies logic.

Don’t watch ESPN. The Big Ten West is awful, and everyone realizes this, along with the fact that Iowa has benefited handsomely from its weakness. Nobody needs computer models to recognize what a pathetic division it is. If the Hawks had been in the East for the last 6 years, our record would most assuredly be markedly worse. Anyone being honest would agree.

I’m not missing any forests. Under BF, Iowa football has become painful to watch and a national laughing stock. We were traditionally able to at least compete with the top Big Ten programs. In recent years, due to our inept offense, we simply get embarrassed. And who’s responsible for that? KF. This is ultimately on him. And as long as he insists on keeping his boy as OC, he needs to go. I think he resigns after this season, as he should.

It’s intellectually lazy to simply assume that anyone disagreeing with your position is a “moron” or a “mouth breather”. Perhaps those constantly insulting fans who are fed up with the blatant nepotism could be considered the morons and mouth breathers.
I've frequented this board for many years. I have full confidence in my description of many of its posters.

I've frequented this board for many years. I have full confidence in my description of many of its posters.
I’ve likely frequented it longer than you have. Sure, it takes all kinds. However, only some of us see a need to constantly insult and degrade those who disagree with us. There’s a lot of condescension on the board, too. Many would say the pompous posters are at least as annoying as the stupid ones. Some food for reflection.

I’ve likely frequented it longer than you have. Sure, it takes all kinds. However, only some of us see a need to constantly insult and degrade those who disagree with us. There’s a lot of condescension on the board, too. Many would say the pompous posters are at least as annoying as the stupid ones. Some food for reflection.
That used to be the way to deal with it. Problem is they don't respond to it.

Stupid opinions and posts deserve to be called just that, and not all opinions are created equal. If the poster can't handle it they don't belong on a message board.

I didn’t create the thread. If Kirk isn’t willing to do ANYTHING to improve the unit what is the solution?
I didn't claim you did. You asked me for my perspective, I gave it to you.

I don't claim to have that answer either. The one I have for you that made my time watching Iowa football a lot easier is to not dwell on it too much, because at the end of the day nobody in the program is the caliber of person to deserve the kind of vitriol you see on this board. That should be reserved for people who've done actual wrongs, not people who don't coach the kind of football they want to see.

I have far too much on my plate with the team I actually coach for to spend that kind of time and energy on something that doesn't deserve that level of anger.

I didn't claim you did. You asked me for my perspective, I gave it to you.

I don't claim to have that answer either. The one I have for you that made my time watching Iowa football a lot easier is to not dwell on it too much, because at the end of the day nobody in the program is the caliber of person to deserve the kind of vitriol you see on this board. That should be reserved for people who've done actual wrongs, not people who don't coach the kind of football they want to see.

I have far too much on my plate with the team I actually coach for to spend that kind of time and energy on something that doesn't deserve that level of anger.
It’s a message board where people vent. There will always be idiots but there are legitimate critiques to be made about this offense. Maybe take some time away from the board if you don’t like reading posts from people who want to discuss why a head coach is unwilling to make any significant changes to one of the worst units in college football.

It’s a message board where people vent. There will always be idiots but there are legitimate critiques to be made about this offense. Maybe take some time away from the board if you don’t like reading posts from people who want to discuss why a head coach is unwilling to make any significant changes to one of the worst units in college football.
Sound advice, if you ask me, particularly for someone whose plate is so full with things not associated with Iowa football. I mean, what exactly will calling out whiny pussies on the internet do? Seems to me like time that could be much better spent.

I'm to the point where I wan them to lose so they can no longer justify this shat.

How 70K go watch this ish is beyond me. I would not walk across the street.
so you watched the game and cheered for Purdue? Just asking.

You're just pissing and moaning about a different topic. At least wdmhawkeye is standing up to the pathetic coaching going on and the offense that is in shambles. You're sitting around waiting from your participation trophy.
Standing up to the pathetic coaching on a message board, your boy wdmhawkeye is a real hero! You should be so proud!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT