ADVERTISEMENT

This is only the begining

bumper52

HR All-State
Nov 25, 2019
So, being 70 years old and a lifetime Hawkeye….if you would have told me back in 99 when we hired a coach from Maine:

Iowa would go to 17 bowls by the year 2022.
Iowa would consistently be in the upper half of the Big 10.
Iowa would have maybe 3 or 4 terrible seasons by 2022.

If I would have been given these guarantees, I would have said , “He’ll yes. Hire this guy.”

Well, now we’ve hit the low point of Iowa football since the mid 60’s through the 70’s. And, in a way, I’m ok with it. I’m mean it’s football….played by young men who aren’t perfect. It happens. And, like I said, IN A WAY, I’m ok with it. But, in another way, I’m deeply concerned. This could very well be just the beginning….the beginning of having to start from square one, and that usually means the beginning of some poor football years. It’s happened to USC, Nebraska, Michigan State, Michigan and other football powers. And it happened to Iowa when Evy stepped down. Jerry Burns was hired, things looked good, and we were hit heavily by critical injuries. We had problems with black players….everything just snowballed. And, I honestly see it possibly happening again. And the only way of fixing it is to clean house….and that means, we will have to accept some lean years

So, being 70 years old and a lifetime Hawkeye….if you would have told me back in 99 when we hired a coach from Maine:

If I would have been given these guarantees, I would have said , “He’ll yes. Hire this guy.”

Well, now we’ve hit the low point of Iowa football since the mid 60’s through the 70’s. And, in a way, I’m ok with it. I’m mean it’s football….played by young men who aren’t perfect. It happens. And, like I said, IN A WAY, I’m ok with it. But, in another way, I’m deeply concerned. This could very well be just the beginning….the beginning of having to start from square one, and that usually means the beginning of some poor football years. It’s happened to USC, Nebraska, Michigan State, Michigan and other football powers. And it happened to Iowa when Evy stepped down. Jerry Burns was hired, things looked good, and we were hit heavily by critical injuries. We had problems with black players….everything just snowballed. And, I honestly see it possibly happening again. And the only way of fixing it is to clean house….and that means, we will have to accept some lean years
We can all accept down years to a certain degree. It's allowing the offense to degrade in the manner that it has and just not doing a damn thing to improve. How long have we played a Jr High level offense? Kirk thinks he pulled some strings this off season, added QB coach to Brian and the results are right in front of us.

Reactions: brewhawk23

Wisconsin felt a down turn was happening with Chryst so they rectified right away with replacing him; likely Leonhard will be the permanent HC there. They got out ahead of it and I promise they are expecting no "down years" because of their pro-active move.

It can be done and done efficiently.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT