ADVERTISEMENT

This might be a little tougher than Putin thought...

I feel like there should be one of those Hitler parody clips where he is ordering various ships in the Black Sea to launch attacks, but the undertone is it’s Putin ordering the Moskva, or all the other sunken Russian ships into action.
I think this war has fundamentally changed naval warfare. A country with basically no Navy (in the traditional sense) has made the Black Sea almost untenable to the third largest Navy in the world.

Basically with low cost drones.

I think this war has fundamentally changed naval warfare. A country with basically no Navy (in the traditional sense) has made the Black Sea almost untenable to the third largest Navy in the world.

Have had similar thoughts and it worries me about our ships trying to keep commerce going in the Middle East.

The drone stuff is fascinating too as is some of the smaller anti tank weapons. Yours truly speculated here very early on as Ukraine stood fast before the additional weapons showed up but we may be entering a new era of warfare where thanks to cheap micro weapons (a name I am calling them) a much smaller country can really make life difficult for invaders despite their advantage in size and expensive equipment. In the end, perhaps this is a good thing?

The other big factor was Russia never being able to over run the skies of Ukraine. To me that was the number one issue and why they were unsuccessful.

Have had similar thoughts and it worries me about our ships trying to keep commerce going in the Middle East.

The drone stuff is fascinating too as is some of the smaller anti tank weapons. Yours truly speculated here very early on as Ukraine stood fast before the additional weapons showed up but we may be entering a new era of warfare where thanks to cheap micro weapons (a name I am calling them) a much smaller country can really make life difficult for invaders despite their advantage in size and expensive equipment. In the end, perhaps this is a good thing?

The other big factor was Russia never being able to over run the skies of Ukraine. To me that was the number one issue and why they were unsuccessful.
Sounds like a potential playbook for Taiwan to keep Chinese landing ships and troop carriers on fire off the coast.

I don't think it's a good thing for the US by any means. We've invested heavily in our "blue water" Navy and this development undermines that a bit.

In addition, industrial capacity. China has the industrial capacity to produce these drones in ginormous numbers...quickly.

We don't....which has been kind of exposed in attempting to supply Ukraine. We produce the best stuff...but the industrial base to produce those things is small by comparison.

We (NATO/US) still have a hard time ramping up 155mm shell production and we're 2 years in...

Sounds like a potential playbook for Taiwan to keep Chinese landing ships and troop carriers on fire off the coast.
Possibly. But China has the most industrial capacity to crank these out in massive numbers than anyone.

Hell...they're producing "blue water" Navy ships much faster than anyone....

Russia-Ukraine war live: Britain prepared to loan Ukraine all frozen Russian central bank assets in UK, says minister​

Do it. Do it in the US, too. Start seizing all those condos in NYC, Miami, and LA, too. Yachts and artwork can be moved too easily. Start denying visas to Russians. Tell Alex Ovechkin he can go to the front lines for his BFF.

Do it. Do it in the US, too. Start seizing all those condos in NYC, Miami, and LA, too. Yachts and artwork can be moved too easily. Start denying visas to Russians. Tell Alex Ovechkin he can go to the front lines for his BFF.
Query: would you purchase a Russian oligarch's seized condo? It would be fun until you accidentally fell out a window.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Sure, so many of those assets are never seen by their owners. It's shell company on top of shell company in an attempt to hide the asset from US regulators, and from Putin.
Maybe. They are a mafia and the the mafia doesn't usually like to let things go.

Reactions: Torg
Enough money for weapons and reconstruction. Saw a figure around $300B total in western countries.

Sanctions might not be hurting Oligarchs all that much but this sure as hell will...

I know the secret discussion was an embarrassment for Germany but I love knowing that they are definitely helping with the planning.
Now I assume it was that action off of the coast and perhaps an aerial attack on the town that got up our hopes for a bridge strike.
At least the Russians aren't claiming to have thwarted another attempt on the bridge.
For sure. I've known about US, British, and German soldiers on the ground there since the beginning. No way the UA military could take on a real army by themselves. The separatists were militarily a joke and they could deal with them, but Wagner and Russian troops kept bailing them out. AZOV was the main real fighting force for a while as they were trained and armed by the US 101st.

Reactions: h-hawk

The US Navy has been working on countering drones for years now. This article is a few years old now, but a neat read re: the DRAKE system. A recently retired US Navy buddy of mine at the gym provided a little insight into this as well.

Obviously I have no idea how impactful it is/will be against hundreds of drones, but I think it's safe to say our heavy investment in "blue water" Navy is working (and spending) tirelessly on countermeasures and solutions to modern warfare.

Also, it's very clear that a Russian military unit (land or sea) isn't quite what the world thought they were a few years ago.

"This video, which was allegedly recorded from one of the cargo ships in the Kerch Strait near occupied Crimea (southern #Ukraine), shows an attack by Ukrainian maritime kamikaze drones on the #Russian warship Sergei Kotov on 5 March 2024.The ship was destroyed the same night."

Those dudes are pretty calm, or stupid, as the Russians shoot at the drone. I'm surprised they didn't take a bullet to the melon.

Reactions: HawkMD and h-hawk
GIBtGY_bQAAAMGs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT