ADVERTISEMENT

This might be a little tougher than Putin thought...

Bringing a conversation that started in the “Connections” thread to its appropriate home.

Our own @ericram is in Ukraine right now helping out wounded from the war. I would love to know more: how you got involved, how others can help, are the Ukrainian women as hot as the internet suggests, what you are doing to stay safe over there?

Bringing a conversation that started in the “Connections” thread to its appropriate home.

Our own @ericram is in Ukraine right now helping out wounded from the war. I would love to know more: how you got involved, how others can help, are the Ukrainian women as hot as the internet suggests, what you are doing to stay safe over there?
That is amazing!

As a two time visitor to Ukraine, I can answer your third question with a definitive yes. A very definitive yes.

A huge FWIW.

GVHAMzfWoAA4xga

Unfortunately the infrastructure isn't keeping up...predictably.
FDOT controls all of the major roads. Hwy20 is scheduled to have a lot of work done but adding lanes is difficult due to constriction of the right of way. CR883 (Business 331) has the right of way to expand but by the time it happens, it will be too late. The Freeport Planning Dept and the city council keep approving developments without first addressing the infrastructure needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
SIAP-while looking up this story about Ukraine being a priority for Bulgaria, I think I found the reason why they are being so nice.

"Ukraine’s government faced growing opposition to its plan to purchase Russian-made mothballed nuclear reactors from Bulgaria, as reported by Politico. The $600 million scheme aims to bring two new units online at the Khmelnytskyi Nuclear Power Plant in Western Ukraine to shore up the country’s energy grid, which has been severely damaged by Russian attacks.

Energy Minister Herman Haluschenko defended the plan, stating,
“Against Russian attacks, nuclear energy [accounts for] 60% of our energy mix and is a backbone of our energy system,” the minister told Politico.

He emphasized that expanding nuclear power is the only option for the beleaguered energy grid.

However, several lawmakers, including some from President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s own party, have raised concerns about potential corruption and the effectiveness of the aging equipment. According to Politico, MP Andrii Zhupanyn, from Zelenskyy’s Servant of the People party and a member of the parliament’s energy committee, questioned,

“Can we afford to be buying Russian nuclear reactors during the full-scale invasion? And what is the condition of these reactors?”

The controversy comes amid recent corruption allegations in Ukraine’s energy sector. Earlier in the week, Deputy Energy Minister Oleksandr Kheil was arrested over allegations of soliciting a bribe in exchange for transferring coal mining equipment.

Critics argue that the nuclear reactor purchase could become another avenue for corruption. Yaroslav Zheleznyak, an MP from Ukraine’s liberal Holos party, expressed concerns about the procurement process, stating,

“We are concerned about corruption in this procurement process and we have not received any explanations,” he told Politico.

Environmental NGO Ekodiya has also raised concerns about the proposals, arguing that the project would rely on “obsolete Russian-made equipment” and could lead to safety and efficiency problems."

Well this might take a while. Will definitely give you more info but it's time for dinner and 2 very attractive Ukrainian women invited me to dinner. So will have to wait to get to the rest of the story.

And yes I really am in Ukraine.

FDOT controls all of the major roads. Hwy20 is scheduled to have a lot of work done but adding lanes is difficult due to constriction of the right of way. CR883 (Business 331) has the right to expand but by the time it happens, it will be too late. The Freeport Planning Dept and the city council keep approving developments without first addressing the infrastructure needs.
True dat

Summary of the day​

• Mykhailo Podolyak, an adviser to the Ukrainian presidential office, has said that “in the Kursk region, we can clearly see how the military tool is being used objectively to persuade [the Russian Federation] to enter a fair negotiation process.”
  • Military authorities in Pokrovsk, a city in eastern Ukraine, have urged civilians to speed up their evacuation because the Russian army is quickly closing in.
  • Russian attacks killed three civilians in Ukraine’s eastern Donetsk region, the region’s governor said.
  • The UK’s Ministry of Defence said in an intelligence update that after initial disorganisation, Russian forces have deployed in greater force in the Kursk region.
  • A Russian parliamentary deputy, Mikhail Sheremet, said that the Ukrainian incursion into Russia has brought the world close to an all-out global war.
  • Russia is seeking to open a criminal case against two journalists of Italy’s state broadcaster Rai who entered the Kursk region alongside Ukrainian troops.
  • Test results showed that the tap water at a German military base in Cologne was not contaminated.

Future "mine detector" on the Kursk Front :)

Perhaps one of the other two bridges (main one holed but still being used) that some suspected would be taken out.

"Russian sources:The Ukrainian Armed Forces attacked the bridge over the Seim River in the Kursk region with HIMARS missiles."

Last edited:
Joe Biden is the last leader of a generation that thought deeply about the transatlantic role in the defence of Europe.

It was Biden’s passion that kept the arms flowing to Ukraine; his intuition that turned the Ukrainian cause into a way of regenerating a no longer “brain-dead” (copyright E Macron) Nato. And it was Biden’s reticence that stopped the defence of Ukraine from turning into an all-out war against Putin’s Russia.

When he takes his hat and moves out to Delaware that Cold War savvy will have gone and the urgency of the defence of Ukrainian democracy, one of the defining issues of our time, will have dissipated.

There’s the prospect of a White House occupied again by Donald Trump, who can barely conceal his indifference towards Ukraine, and his chosen veep, the punchy senator JD Vance, who is on record as saying: “I don’t really care what happens to Ukraine.”

On the other side of the barricades is Kamala Harris, who has stayed tepidly on the Biden message (supporting Ukraine “for as long as it takes”) but who is even more resistant to escalation than her present boss.

Last edited:
From 30 minutes ago so I hope this is not a rehash of last night.

"Something important is happening in Kerch, Crimea!10 explosions reported in Kerch & traffic jams in front of the Crimean Bridge are getting longer and longer! To be continued!"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT