ADVERTISEMENT

This might be a little tougher than Putin thought...

2022-06-29_14-37-49.jpg

People forget China has been around for 3500 years....we're basically babies in comparison.
Uh....not really.

China's communist government is about 1/4th as old as the US.
China wasn't a world power for most of it's existence. Regional, at times.

#OpiumWars

Uh....not really.

China's communist government is about 1/4th as old as the US.
China wasn't a world power for most of it's existence. Regional, at times.

#OpiumWars
China as a nation has been around 3500 years....communist government hasn't.

Just think China does the "long game" much better than we do. Credit that to the one party system or whatever....having such a long history/culture might have an effect on how they evaluate things as well.

Reactions: torbee
Say you get your way, and the war drags on for 6 more months, the Russians solidify their gains in Luhansk, Donetsk, and the land bridge to Crimea, and then decide to bring Kharkov under artillery fire

Yeah, they weren’t showing dumb bombs in Schwartzkopf’s briefings. :)

The Gulf War in 1991 marked the first extensive use of precision-guided munitions in warfare. Eight percent of the munitions dropped were PGMs, compared to less than one percent in Vietnam.

Of the 29,199 bombs dropped during the war [2003 Iraq invasion] by the United States and United Kingdom, nearly two-thirds (19,040) were precision-guided munitions.21 In the Persian Gulf conflict in 1991, 8 percent of all bombs dropped were PGMs; in Yugoslavia in 1999 approximately one-third were PGMs; in Afghanistan in 2002 approximately 65 percent were PGMs.22
Your solution is "kick the can down the road, and deal with Russian Imperialism later".

That simply hasn't worked. Sack up and isolate them in perpetuity, until they change their internal political structure from an oligarchy to a democracy.

No, it really has not.

It has existed in various forms. Many of which were completely subservient to Western powers merely 100+ years ago

Again: #OpiumWars
You should read up on that part of their history.
Which obviously effects their thinking now....and I'm aware of the history.

Don't agree with the text but as a writer previously noted, being a former empire has given Russia advantages in this war.

"Biden said the new assistance package would also include more counter-battery radars, artillery and ammunition, including ammunition for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS) that the U.S. has recently supplied to the Ukrainians. Biden also predicted that other countries would send HIMARS to Ukraine.

White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan said earlier this week that the U.S. would be sending medium- and long-range air defense systems to Ukraine, though he declined to specify the particular system."

(I sincerely doubt this. If Russian losses are in the 30,000 range, Ukraine is probably in the same ball park but less since they are the defender (based on the history of modern warfare.)
"The British Armed Forces are a professional force with a strength of 153,290 UK Regulars and Gurkhas, 37,420 Volunteer Reserves and 8,170 "Other Personnel" as of 1 April 2021. This gives a total strength of 198,880 "UK Service Personnel".")

EDIT-My bad - UK infantry only listed at 25,000 so it is entirely possible. Sorry.
How many infantry does the UK have?

Trained Regular Personnel by Arm and Service (2015)
.Strength
Corps of Royal Engineers9,840
The Infantry25,840
Army Air Corps2,000

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkMD
The version with Biden walking Zelensky toward NATO ends with 10s (hopefully it doesn’t reach hundreds) of thousands dead.

Did the neocons think Putin wouldn’t do it, or did they expect he would and what we have now is the hoped for outcome?
Huh?

NATO had nothing to do with Putin's imperial ambitions here.
If anything Ukraine in NATO would have fully prevented them.

Looking the other way since 2014 is what brought us here today.
Looking the other way today will result in a far worse outcome 5 or 10 years from now.

Reactions: torbee and h-hawk
China as a nation has been around 3500 years....communist government hasn't.

Just think China does the "long game" much better than we do. Credit that to the one party system or whatever....having such a long history/culture might have an effect on how they evaluate things as well.

I wouldn’t consider anything china does as “better”. They treat their citizens as disposable and are actively committing genocide among many, many more failures. Sure, their military is competent(as far as we know), but the path they are headed down is not sustainable. Communism will be their demise, assuming this planet is still habitable for that to come to fruition.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
"Biden said the new assistance package would also include more counter-battery radars, artillery and ammunition, including ammunition for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS) that the U.S. has recently supplied to the Ukrainians. Biden also predicted that other countries would send HIMARS to Ukraine.

White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan said earlier this week that the U.S. would be sending medium- and long-range air defense systems to Ukraine, though he declined to specify the particular system."

I wouldn’t consider anything china does as “better”. They treat their citizens as disposable and are actively committing genocide among many, many more failures. Sure, their military is competent(as far as we know), but the path they are headed down is not sustainable. Communism will be their demise, assuming this planet is still habitable for that to come to fruition.
Agree..

I said they do "long game" better.....as in foreign policy/strategy. We vacillate all over the place depending on administration...

But do they still work and do they have a symmetrical surplusage of trained people to use them?
That is a great point that I have been wondering about - do they have the crews to man them and the mechanics to get them up to speed. I sure hope not!

Reactions: Tenacious E
EDIT-on the other hand maybe these are new pledges.

"Fifty countries have promised to provide Ukraine with hundreds of units of military equipment and hundreds of thousands of ammunition, US President Joe Biden said following the NATO summit in Madrid on Thursday, June 30.

According to him, we are talking about the supply of “about 140,000 anti-tank systems, more than 600 tanks, almost 500 artillery systems, more than 600,000 shells, as well as advanced multiple launch rocket systems, ship systems and air defense systems.” https://news.storyua.com/news/29482.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I got carried away again - these are probably cumulative totals though I don't see how they could have received anywhere near that many tanks, though Poland has sent over 200.

Holy Cow is the West getting really serious now?
I wonder what type of tanks-it is a big deal if they are finally getting modern Western versions.
Of for that matter, 600 more of any tank is a big deal!:)
And that much more artillery is also impressive.

Last edited:
Holy Cow is the West getting really serious now?
I wonder what type of tanks-it is a big deal if they are finally getting modern Western versions.
Of for that matter, 600 more of any tank is a big deal!:)
And that much more artillery is also impressive.
I know I would rather have 600 western tanks than these old russian tanks retired to the Siberian "graveyard":
FWgZh5MUEAA5yb9

Don't agree with the text but as a writer previously noted, being a former empire has given Russia advantages in this war.
You can’t just park tanks in the elements in Siberia and count on them in the future.

Probably a lot of useful spare parts in there, but I think it would take a while to make just a company of functioning tanks from what you see in that pic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT