ADVERTISEMENT

This might be a little tougher than Putin thought...

image.jpeg.250aaaf707ef44ee5c341e6cac2aef82.jpeg

SIAP

1. The United States intelligence community penetrated multiple points of Russia’s political leadership, spying apparatus and military, and found Vladimir Putin preparing for a full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

2. Every decision on arming Ukraine was predicated on not giving Russia a reason to attack the United States and NATO.

3. Biden dispatched his top intelligence official to confront Putin with evidence of Russia’s war planning.

4. Kyiv complained U.S. intelligence wasn’t specific enough to prepare for an invasion.

5. Zelensky suspected that some Western officials wanted him to flee.

Details on each in linked article...

Seriously, learning from a mistake is only half of the equation. In order for lessons to be implemented there first must be the ability to translate a plan into corrective action. If I had my way I'd take every single Russia "expert" that said we should all be afraid of Russia's future actions because of their history of learning from their mistakes and make them write "Will without a Way does not equal Success" about 1000 times on a chalkboard.

The Russian logistics mess is hobbling its ability to wage war more than any other factor (and there are plenty of other factors). This is not something that can be fixed with minor adjustments. They need a completely new system that breaks with 200 years or so of tradition. And this in turn requires new equipment they don't have. I'm not even talking about complicated things, I'm talking about basics; forklifts, frontend loaders, computers, software, trained personnel, procedures, accountability, etc. It's like taking a 1800s general store and trying to turn it into Walmart.

Compare and contrast...

This is how the US (and other Western countries) does logistics:

This is how Russia does it:

https://content.invisioncic.com/r25....ru_.mp4.4192bb3533ca8dfcd693ca0c7c8513a4.mp4

And how storage looks in the field,. See if you can guess which is which:

rAamh.jpeg

storage-transportation-of-ammunition-russian-army-3-small.jpg

Also note that the US image was from a frontline area, the Russian image is from peacetime.

Here's another example of why Russia can't suddenly get to US/NATO standards in terms of logistics... shipping containers!

military-containers-11224080.jpg

Shipping containers require a lot of specialized equipment and transportation infrastructure that Russia simply doesn't have. And why doesn't Russia have it? Because it is f'n expensive to acquire and maintain. It's a long term investment and that's something else Russia sucks at (besides war, I mean).

Now, one might be wondering if Ukraine is any better than Russia. Probably, but I suspect far below NATO standards. However, Ukraine has much shorter supply lines and they are all in solidly friendly territory. This minimizes some of the major problems that go along with poor logistics.

The other thing is that Russia's only successful military strategy requires massive amounts of ammo, which in turn requires a supply system that's capable of keeping up with demand. The relatively static lines have helped Russia overcome some of those challenges, however it required making huge dumps close to the front. Now that Ukraine is showing this to be a bad idea, Russia's really in a bind. They can not keep their current artillery centric strategy going without the dumps, yet if it keeps the dumps it will eventually lose them. Ukraine does not have this sort of problem in reverse.

And if they do need to cross the river, they have newer bridging equipment from Germany.
Maybe it will be enough to put artillery along the Dnieper and “carry” everything for the entire range: logistics and Russian soldiers’ battle formations. There may be a million options. Or maybe we have the means that will allow us to cross quickly. We also have engineering units that have pontoon sets.
Oleg Zhdanov

Zhdanov added that the Kherson region is the third part of the entire front line in Ukraine, so destroying the Russian grouping in this region is extremely important.

"Russia’s defence ministry has warned Britain against a planned spy plane flight over Russian territory, saying its air force has been given orders to prevent an intrusion.

The ministry said on Tuesday that the UK had sent a notice informing about a planned flight of an RC-135 reconnaissance plane along a route that partly passes over Russian territory.

“We regard this action as a deliberate provocation,” the ministry said, adding that the Russian air force had been “given the task to prevent the violation of the Russian border”.

It said: “All possible consequences of this deliberate provocation will lie entirely with the British side.”

"The detonation of ammunition at a military depot in the Dzhankoy region of Crimea occurred due to sabotage, the Defense Ministry said." 14/ the direct famous explosion video. a boundary of first blast can be seen within 1 sec in the limits of about 400m radius and before the 2 sec maybe at 600m radius. The energy here was quite impressive no small hit."

It's pretty big that the Russians are admitting there was sabotage. Not only does it show shoddy security, it invites speculation that not everyone is happy that they are being de-Nazified.

Reactions: Tenacious E
It's pretty big that the Russians are admitting there was sabotage. Not only does it show shoddy security, it invites speculation that not everyone is happy that they are being de-Nazified.
I still wonder if they believe this or don't want to admit some long range weapon is working against them.
My theory is that Ukraine now has hyper missiles:) (Trying to start the rumor.)

Reactions: HawkMD
I love that video, but, I do question the wisdom of the guys taking the video. Seems like a stray rocket could have hit them.
I thought that near the end, the guy on the left actually ducks fearing it was coming at them. Amazing stuff.

Reactions: HawkMD
I was thinking the same thing, and it's been that way the whole time. Yet the maps aren't yet showing much in the way of ukranian gains. E.g. one from yesterday was actually showing more territory with "Russian gains" than with "Ukrainians gains" and a huge swath still Russian controlled.

It's a relatively short war to date, but it's difficult to understand context for what all these small victories really mean in the big picture. I guess I'm just anxious to see Russian territory shrink significantly.
The Ukrainians simply do not have the manpower to stage offensives on a large scale at this time. They don't have the air power to project over Russian controlled space at this time.
It's clear that Russia at this time is desperately attempting to hold on long enough to stage referendums providing justification for annexation.

I thought that near the end, the guy on the left actually ducks fearing it was coming at them. Amazing stuff.
Yeah, I don't speak Ukrainian, but at one point the tone of what they were saying seemed to have a tinge of nervousness to it.

Reactions: h-hawk
I need help, why were they avoiding Czech airspace? I thought only Orban's Hungary wasn't allowing overflights at one time?
I couldn't find anything about it. Anybody remember? (Maybe the tweet is just wrong?)

It's a relatively short war to date, but it's difficult to understand context for what all these small victories really mean in the big picture.
Which is good, I think. If it were otherwise, Ukraine would lose the element of surprise they have because of their nimbleness tactically. Just my uninformed opinion.

Reactions: h-hawk
The Ukranian tactic right now isn't to try to advance. They know an attempt to advance would get them blown to bits because Russia still has a major advantage in artillery that they can just drop on their heads. So right now the goal is to maintain the lines while Russia attempts to advance and in the meantime destroy supply lines, ammo dumps, and take out command structure. Once the ammunition is destroyed and supply lines are disrupted, then attempts to advance can begin.
I’ve read it termed as a battle of corrosion.

Reactions: billanole
Can't imagine how complicated the war planning must be for the top Ukrainian decision makers with intel from multiple sources.

And who ultimately settles disputes on tactics.

The ministry said on Tuesday that the UK had sent a notice informing about a planned flight of an RC-135 reconnaissance plane along a route that partly passes over Russian territory.
If China informs Japan that they will conduct a reconnaissance flight over their territory with military aircraft, can Japan legally shoot them down?

Who is the aggressor in that scenario?

If China informs Japan that they will conduct a reconnaissance flight over their territory with military aircraft, can Japan legally shoot them down?

In your example, has Japan invaded China? Was the entire open market world supporting China in this example? I need a couple clarifications to answer your question.

In your example, has Japan invaded China?
No, neither country has invaded the other. There are no sanctions beyond existing tariffs between them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT