ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on a new coach

Fran will be here for a long time yet.
I agree. I see no reason to believe he won’t be. He’s not going to be hired away and unless a complete collapse I don’t see Iowa deciding to move on from him.

Reactions: 83Hawk
It's Iowa City West and Bergy is not available.
Seriously, how much longer is he going to keep going? He's got to be in his mid-60s at this point now, right?

I remember years ago (early 1980s) he hanging around the Iowa Field House and he and Randy Larson (now restaurant owner/attorney), and Doug Gilmore (Nike rep who lived locally) playing pick up basketball game after pick up game. Larson particularly was a baller.

Seriously, how much longer is he going to keep going? He's got to be in his mid-60s at this point now, right?

I remember years ago (early 1980s) he hanging around the Iowa Field House and he and Randy Larson (now restaurant owner/attorney), and Doug Gilmore (Nike rep who lived locally) playing pick up basketball game after pick up game. Larson particularly was a baller.
Did you mean Doug Belcher?

Reactions: frydaze

Still at West, I think he's mellowed out some...LOL. My kids never played ball but had Bergy as their PE teacher. Loved giving him crap and getting it right back from that man.

No matter what your feelings are regarding Fran and Kirk, Iowa needs to get away from the "can't afford to lose our coach" mentality with contracts. There are lots of good coaches out there and unless the guy you have is regularly winning conference titles, let him walk. For the love of god, stop extending wealthy, geriatric age coaches.

Still at West, I think he's mellowed out some...LOL. My kids never played ball but had Bergy as their PE teacher. Loved giving him crap and getting it right back from that man.
He's already in the High School Coaches HOF I think right?

someone else is outraged by the thought of Few coaching Iowa.
If you're referring to me, I was laughing at the idea Mark Few would even consider leaving Gonzaga for Iowa.

If Mark Few actually wanted to come here, I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Sheahawk
If you're referring to me, I was laughing at the idea Mark Few would even consider leaving Gonzaga for Iowa.

If Mark Few actually wanted to come here, I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat.
Same, and no I was referring to the guy that said "no more mid major coaches!"

I think Mark Few would've moved on by now to some other better job if he had any interest in that. He's been at Gonzaga forever. Iowa? Not the job that is going to lure the guy away from there.

I wanted Bruce Pearl when Alford moved on. I wanted Scott Drew when Lick was fired, and I remember a rumor that he was interested. Not sure of the truth to that. But, I think both of those ships have sailed. Not that I think Barta was really looking in that direction, anyway..

Whoever the next coach is, I want a big time recruiter. Someone who isn't afraid to push the envelope and embrace the current recruiting landscape. Gut says the powers that be don't want that type of guy, though. So I'm not holding my breath on any of this.

Reactions: EZ2BJZ
I think Mark Few would've moved on by now to some other better job if he had any interest in that. He's been at Gonzaga forever. Iowa? Not the job that is going to lure the guy away from there.

I wanted Bruce Pearl when Alford moved on. I wanted Scott Drew when Lick was fired, and I remember a rumor that he was interested. Not sure of the truth to that. But, I think both of those ships have sailed. Not that I think Barta was really looking in that direction, anyway..

Whoever the next coach is, I want a big time recruiter. Someone who isn't afraid to push the envelope and embrace the current recruiting landscape. Gut says the powers that be don't want that type of guy, though. So I'm not holding my breath on any of this.
Tom Crean's available...

Iowa is a pretty crappy basketball job. There are going to be very few coaches interested the next time the job is opened. DeVries is a good coach but he’s not an upgrade over Fran and might not be interested regardless. Doesn’t seem like a good decision to fire a coach who is consistently winning 20 games a year but failing to reach the Sweet 16 only to hire some random mid major coach who hasn’t done either.

He's only sort of at West. He's got a co-head coach who is the one doing most of the in game stuff and the one who is off the bench. He's really on the tail end here. I think he wants to maybe see what they can do with Jack Mc, Manson's and Earl's kid.

He is a good recruiter though so maybe?

Maybe he'd be basketball's equivalent of Rick Heller.

You could certainly argue Heller is Iowa's best overall coach at the moment when you factor in how hard it is to compete in that sport, how far behind Iowa's facilities are (though that appears to be changing), how mediocre Iowa baseball was for several decades before he arrived, and how hard you have to work to sell Iowa baseball to potential recruits.

Yet he came in and turned Iowa into a consistent winner, despite the hurdles and shortcomings the program faces. Kinda sorta sounds familiar, doesn't it?
Good thought. I mean that is what Iowa State got , right.
A guy that wants to be at Iowa for the right reasons, understands the history and culture and will demand defense and toughness

Reactions: Hawk-A-Doodle-Doo
Are Iowa fans afraid to be great? I don’t get the resistance to hiring a new coach at this point.

The fans really aren’t the problem, Iowa does not seriously invest in the BB program and it has been that way for years. The reality is for what Iowa invests in the BB program compared to the rest of the conference they are getting pretty solid bang for buck with Fran.

The fans really aren’t the problem, Iowa does not seriously invest in the BB program and it has been that way for years. The reality is for what Iowa invests in the BB program compared to the rest of the conference they are getting pretty solid bang for buck with Fran.
Which is unfortunate, because Iowa basketball used to be a big deal for a lot of decades. I used to love Iowa basketball as a kid growing up in the ‘80s and ‘90s.

But you’re absolutely right. If Iowa isn’t going to invest more in the basketball program, Fran is probably as good as it’s going to get.

Unfortunately, IA has the third best coach in the state of IA of the 4 major programs. If the 4th wasn't stagnant and complacent too, Fran might be the worst.

Reactions: DewHawk
Davis was infinity times better than this jagon.
I personally liked Dr. Tom and prefer his program to Fran’s based solely off of Iowa not being soft during his tenure but I don’t see how Davis is “infinity times better” than Fran. Outside of the 1980s, the programs are pretty comparable in terms of wins and losses.

Reactions: RocknRollface
You mean in 2030? Who knows? When will Fran's youngest graduate?
i think there was a time we didn't want to lose Fran because his two 4* sons were coming up. Turned out the joke was on us, when they turned into 2* when they started playing. Not sure the next one is worth waiting for...

They could hire a new coach for much less money than they are paying Fran…….and it may work out to be a great hire.

• Wow
Reactions: EZ2BJZ
i think there was a time we didn't want to lose Fran because his two 4* sons were coming up. Turned out the joke was on us, when they turned into 2* when they started playing. Not sure the next one is worth waiting for...
It’s astonishing to me how Fran has done such an amazing job of developing so many players except his own kids. PMac might be a bigger bust than Glen Worley.

Unfortunately, IA has the third best coach in the state of IA of the 4 major programs. If the 4th wasn't stagnant and complacent too, Fran might be the worst.
Devries could be at a power 5 in the next couple years. TJ has turned around lowa State in a year. Jacobson seemingly had his pick of power 5 jobs a decade ago, but probably doesn’t now. Not sure what’s going on at UNI.

Last edited:
Really? Like who?
Look at my list of three early in this thread. No established good veteran coach wants this job. There are tons of good, young candidates waiting for an opportunity. As I stated earlier also, look at the great college coaches…..then look at their age when they were hired(Coach K, Knight, Izzo).

Look at my list of three early in this thread. No established good veteran coach wants this job. There are tons of good, young candidates waiting for an opportunity. As I stated earlier also, look at the great college coaches…..then look at their age when they were hired(Coach K, Knight, Izzo).
I would love Iowa to take a chance on Dean Oliver. Jeff Horner would be my second choice.

They could hire a new coach for much less money than they are paying Fran…….and it may work out to be a great hire.

Fran is #9 in regard to coaching salaries in the conference, Not sure going cheaper is the answer. Also commitments to the program go deeper than just the coaches salary.

Devries could be at a power 5 in the next couple years. TJ has turned around lowa State in a year. Jacobson seemingly had his pick of power 5 jobs a decade ago, but probably doesn’t now. Not sure what’s going on at UNI.
Exactly. ISU can get a TJ and turn things around, you'd think IA could. DeVries isn't going to be available forever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT