ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Scott...uh oh...

Drugs, mental health, and environmental degradation have always been there. I didn’t grow up in the 80s but wasn’t the crack epidemic huge? I will say the access to pills is a problem in society today but in the 1980s you had a huge crackdown on minorities and certain communities. There is more awareness and better treatments for drugs and mental health while we are as a society trying to better our environment.

Social media is a new one but there are many positives that come with the negatives

I guess I dont see any positives to social media.

We actually had a big period of environmental clean up in the 70's. DDT was banned, Lake Erie was cleaned up. CFC's were regulated.

The crack problems of the 80's are nothing compared to the problems today with fentanyl and meth. Every cop I know, even those in small towns, have deployed Narcan more than once.

I disagree that we as a society are bettering the environment. Look at Iowa. Iowa's water quality is worse, far worse than 1983. Global Warming is making things worse all the time. We have smoke from Canadian fires.

Plus I have zero faith we can solve any of it. We are doomed.

• Haha
Reactions: McLovin32
We have access to information instantly. We don't shit outdoors anymore. Most of us don't have to do hard labor for a living. Ask a carpenter if he'd rather build a house only using 1980 tech or 2020 tech. Etc etc
Not sure how old you are, but I’m 51. I’ve shit indoors, with plumbing, my entire life.

I would argue that having instant access to information isn’t always a good thing. I’m also quite happy that I didn’t grow up with social media.

We could argue all day about the positives and the negatives. I’m willing to admit life was a a lot more simple 40 years ago. For one, most didn’t care about politics all that much except right around election time. Unless you were seriously involved with a political party, most didn’t know if you were a R or a D. And even then, oh well. Live and let live.

Not sure how old you are, but I’m 51. I’ve shit indoors, with plumbing, my entire life.

I would argue that having instant access to information isn’t always a good thing. I’m also quite happy that I didn’t grow up with social media.

We could argue all day about the positives and the negatives. I’m willing to admit life was a a lot more simple 40 years ago. For one, most didn’t care about politics all that much except right around election time. Unless you were seriously involved with a political party, most didn’t know if you were a R or a D. And even then, oh well. Live and let live.
Things were simpler in the 50's as well as compared to the 80's. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. Every generation feels the good old days were better than the current times. Nothing new. Only thing that is constant is change.
As for the outhouse. I explained in other posts several of hillbilly relations. Didn't adopt the a lot of conveniences util it was thrust upon them. It was not uncommon for poorer rural areas.

Chair Of Tim Scott Exploratory Committee Finds GOP Voters Have One Big Reservation But Doesn’t Want To Say It​

PublishedApril 27, 2023

Alerts

Image for article titled Chair Of Tim Scott Exploratory Committee Finds GOP Voters Have One Big Reservation But Doesn’t Want To Say It

CHARLESTON, SC—Assuring the White House hopeful that his polling so far had been largely positive, the chair of Republican Sen. Tim Scott’s exploratory committee mentioned Thursday that GOP voters did have one big reservation about him, but that he didn’t want to say what it was. “Overall, there was plenty of enthusiasm for a Tim Scott presidential run among the Republicans we surveyed, except for one little thing, which, well, I’d frankly rather not get into with you right now,” said exploratory chair Devin Sloan, who reportedly avoided eye contact with the South Carolina senator while emphasizing that conservative voters loved his many years of political experience and strong Christian faith, but there was a certain stubborn problem that just kept coming up in focus groups. “Look, there’s no real good way to say this. You’re great on paper. They love where you stand on the issues, and you’ve been a senator for a decade, so logically, they should all want to vote for you. But overall, Republicans don’t really feel like they could get a beer with you, if that makes sense. No? Well, what if I told you many said you seemed ‘too urban’? Would that clarify things?” At press time, Sloan had reportedly panicked and blurted out that voters had reservations about casting their ballot for Scott because he was bald.

For one, most didn’t care about politics all that much except right around election time. Unless you were seriously involved with a political party, most didn’t know if you were a R or a D. And even then, oh well. Live and let live.
I think the vast, vast majority of even those of us who are actively interested and engaged in politics still have a "live and let live" approach to others, including those on the other side of the political aisle.

Hell, I let @Whiskeydeltadeltatango into my house! ;)

I don't understand the part about being the best candidate on either side. What makes him so? I don't remember him coming out against trump, so he is kind of worthless to Americans it would seem.

Reactions: McLovin32
Well I don't use the N word. Trump on the other hand I impulsive and most likely would let it slip.
You literally just did. Adding a couple ** instead of the actual letters doesn't mean you didn't use it. Only a few posts after calling him a token as well. But yeah bc you were projecting your thoughts onto Republicans it's cool.

I think the vast, vast majority of even those of us who are actively interested and engaged in politics still have a "live and let live" approach to others, including those on the other side of the political aisle.

And I didn't even feel the need to immediately shower!

You are spot on Torbs, most people have far more in common than ways they differ. Often times the disagreement comes from the ways to get to the goal.

Reactions: torbee

Especially during covid lol... there's no way even you believe 1/2 of what you post.

You literally just did. Adding a couple ** instead of the actual letters doesn't mean you didn't use it. Only a few posts after calling him a token as well. But yeah bc you were projecting your thoughts onto Republicans it's cool.
Don't think u know what the word literally means. Used a censored form of it. So everyone knew what I was implying. He was the only speaker on Trump's nomination night who wasn't related in some manner. So he was a lone speaker to show team Trump has some diversity. When it is mostly made up of Rich white people. Why put Scott front and center like that unless it was intentional.

Don't think u know what the word literally means. Used a censored form of it. So everyone knew what I was implying. He was the only speaker on Trump's nomination night who wasn't related in some manner. So he was a lone speaker to show team Trump has some diversity. When it is mostly made up of Rich white people. Why put Scott front and center like that unless it was intentional.
Yep, you see him that way so those you despise must as well. Just a token N word. Tim Scott knows its how the left sees him.

On social issues we are light years ahead of 1983. We have backslid even more on vestigial new deal government and for that we are worse off than 1983.

Yep, you see him that way so those you despise must as well. Just a token N word. Tim Scott knows its how the left sees him.
Idk man. When Blacks for Trump is always front in center at the Rally's. Everything at these staged events are controlled for optics to the helt. No different than having all of the military families in prime seating at Dem events. I'm a huge cynic when it comes to politics. I was a ditto head in the 90's and went to plenty of events. African Americans got top billing for optics then as well.
Can I prove they don't use Scott as a token to show they are inclusive no. But history has shown me that they are using him. No different than the RNC used Colin Powell. Until he started getting uppity.

"It's come to my attention that could be racial insensitive, but in my defense, I didn't know you could be racially insensative to dogs and i could be a dog, i dont know, ive always just called myself white. Im going to nip this in the bud and just say i like dogs at the appropriate level".

@torbee

Also, it looks like he has some new vids!

Kind of takes the “racist” label off the table…it’s a D staple if you haven’t noticed.
You are really contorting yourself to think you are making a point. You guys are the ones who followed the Pied Piper of birtherism. Maybe you weren't on the Trump Train yourself, but you are failing if you think there is a racism angle for the Dems.

Chair Of Tim Scott Exploratory Committee Finds GOP Voters Have One Big Reservation But Doesn’t Want To Say It​

PublishedApril 27, 2023

Alerts

Image for article titled Chair Of Tim Scott Exploratory Committee Finds GOP Voters Have One Big Reservation But Doesn’t Want To Say It

CHARLESTON, SC—Assuring the White House hopeful that his polling so far had been largely positive, the chair of Republican Sen. Tim Scott’s exploratory committee mentioned Thursday that GOP voters did have one big reservation about him, but that he didn’t want to say what it was. “Overall, there was plenty of enthusiasm for a Tim Scott presidential run among the Republicans we surveyed, except for one little thing, which, well, I’d frankly rather not get into with you right now,” said exploratory chair Devin Sloan, who reportedly avoided eye contact with the South Carolina senator while emphasizing that conservative voters loved his many years of political experience and strong Christian faith, but there was a certain stubborn problem that just kept coming up in focus groups. “Look, there’s no real good way to say this. You’re great on paper. They love where you stand on the issues, and you’ve been a senator for a decade, so logically, they should all want to vote for you. But overall, Republicans don’t really feel like they could get a beer with you, if that makes sense. No? Well, what if I told you many said you seemed ‘too urban’? Would that clarify things?” At press time, Sloan had reportedly panicked and blurted out that voters had reservations about casting their ballot for Scott because he was bald.
Republican handlers are petrified he'd get on stage and some rap music would come on and he'd look good dancing, or style shift to a little jive talk like they do.
Plus, he's gay.

• Haha
You are really contorting yourself to think you are making a point. You guys are the ones who followed the Pied Piper of birtherism. Maybe you weren't on the Trump Train yourself, but you are failing if you think there is a racism angle for the Dems.
:rolleyes:

That's what every generation has said about the generation after them. Gen-Z is going to be a major player in the political landscape. The GOP is pandering to the wrong crowd and it's going to cost them dearly. I think so anyways.
"If you are conservative when you are young, you have no heart. If you are liberal when you are old, you have no brain."

1983 is sort of an interesting comparator/inflection point. Really right on the line IMO. Most people forget that the first two years of Reagan's presidency, many people thought we were going to die of nuclear annihilation, and the country had not put the Misery Index of the Carter years behind it by any means. It honestly kind of sucked. None of the change really kicked in until 83-84.. My parents were public school teachers, and i recall a vague sense that before 1983, money always seemed to be very tight, but since 1983, they never really worried about it again.

At the same time, one has to consider 'area under the curve'. No doubt there have been times in the last 40 years where we've been 'better off' than we are now - economically, socially, politically, and morally. Right now I think we're a little worse off in the net, but not really by that much, mostly because 1983 was just not that great a year.

IT's only a matter of time before the MSM begins their campaign to bury Tim Scott. It happens with every conservative black candidate. It will also happen with the liberals here.
Jesus. You don't seem to understand how primaries work but the rest of the republican field actually will be campaigning for the next year to bury him. There's literally nothing you candy asses won't blame on the libs and the MSM, he was just on the Today show FFS. If an absolute miracle happens and he does manage to win the R nomination it will be all the right wing lies and distortions he spreads that will bury him in the general. His speech at the 2020 convention was a total joke

Reactions: OrlandNole
1983 is sort of an interesting comparator/inflection point. Really right on the line IMO. Most people forget that the first two years of Reagan's presidency, many people thought we were going to die of nuclear annihilation, and the country had not put the Misery Index of the Carter years behind it by any means. It honestly kind of sucked. None of the change really kicked in until 83-84.. My parents were public school teachers, and i recall a vague sense that before 1983, money always seemed to be very tight, but since 1983, they never really worried about it again.

At the same time, one has to consider 'area under the curve'. No doubt there have been times in the last 40 years where we've been 'better off' than we are now - economically, socially, politically, and morally. Right now I think we're a little worse off in the net, but not really by that much, mostly because 1983 was just not that great a year.
God bless unions and Libs like me who support the generous benefits teachers deservedly get. ;) I doubt Reagan was pro teacher, and spent much time worrying about improving their lot. He certainly was no fan of unions, except those that helped out marginally successful actors.
Am I/We better off is an interesting question, and a subject richly deserving of it's own thread.

But overall, Republicans don’t really feel like they could get a beer with you, if that makes sense. No? Well, what if I told you many said you seemed ‘too urban’? Would that clarify things?” At press time, Sloan had reportedly panicked and blurted out that voters had reservations about casting their ballot for Scott because he was bald.
Bald is the new black!

Well, at least we don't have to worry about candidate scott taking away the race card from those pesky Dems, amirite, @binsfeldcyhawk2 and @Whiskeydeltadeltatango ?

Idk man. When Blacks for Trump is always front in center at the Rally's. Everything at these staged events are controlled for optics to the helt. No different than having all of the military families in prime seating at Dem events. I'm a huge cynic when it comes to politics. I was a ditto head in the 90's and went to plenty of events. African Americans got top billing for optics then as well.
Can I prove they don't use Scott as a token to show they are inclusive no. But history has shown me that they are using him. No different than the RNC used Colin Powell. Until he started getting uppity.
Why are you just automatically dismissing the man himself? You assume the gop is calling the shots with him deciding to run now?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT