ADVERTISEMENT

To put my pooch "down" or not. :(

Just had to do this 2 weeks ago. 14 plus year companion. Definitely the right thing to do but the crappiest decision you can make as a pet owner. Dog had no bladder control and honesty don't think he was even aware when he was pissing, he would just walk around the house, pissing all the while. Got to the point that I carried him outside every time just to make sure he didn't start until I got him out there.

We've had to do it with three long term dogs over the years and it just doesn't get easier, you think you're prepared when you plan it out a little bit, but ya ain't.

This time was particularly hard, as he always kind of enjoyed going to the vet, and after they prepped him for the needle he was so happy go lucky and trotting around the room, wagging his tail, I damn near couldn't do it. Then when the drugs hit, he was staring right at me for a brief moment with a "WTF" look in his eye that I can't explain, then he drifted off.

They say they can't feel it and there's no pain, but I always wonder - they have to be cognizant of the fact their heart is stopping.

Sorry, didn't mean to bring y'all more down....😢

You will be reunited in another astral plane. All souls are interconnected and both you and I and every other soul has been born and died many many times. I know the decision to euthanize an animal is horrible and I refuse to work in a lab doing animal work. I have seen it all. All I can say to you and your family is be strong and to the dog, you will be forever in my prayers my tiny friend. God speed to you from a life of pain and humiliation.

This time was particularly hard, as he always kind of enjoyed going to the vet, and after they prepped him for the needle he was so happy go lucky and trotting around the room, wagging his tail, I damn near couldn't do it. Then when the drugs hit, he was staring right at me for a brief moment with a "WTF" look in his eye that I can't explain, then he drifted off.

They say they can't feel it and there's no pain, but I always wonder - they have to be cognizant of the fact their heart is stopping.

Cry Cry Cry GIF by MOODMAN

Just had to do this 2 weeks ago. 14 plus year companion. Definitely the right thing to do but the crappiest decision you can make as a pet owner. Dog had no bladder control and honesty don't think he was even aware when he was pissing, he would just walk around the house, pissing all the while. Got to the point that I carried him outside every time just to make sure he didn't start until I got him out there.

We've had to do it with three long term dogs over the years and it just doesn't get easier, you think you're prepared when you plan it out a little bit, but ya ain't.

Angry Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

I was doing better in the vet's office last night than this thread. I've cried 3x.

Dogs really only give you one bad day: their last.

Want to bet? I've got one that the trainer, a no-nonsense disciplinarian, had to create a new class for.....basically for the nut that won't crack. It eventually filled up and my dog got downgraded to a new class for a nut that was too tough to crack the class for nuts that were too tough to crack. So, you have:

1) Normal training course
2) Training course for the subnormal dog
3) Training course for my dog

Reactions: TigerHawk33
Want to bet? I've got one that the trainer, a no-nonsense disciplinarian, had to create a new class for.....basically for the nut that won't crack. It eventually filled up and my dog got downgraded to a new class for a nut that was too tough to crack the class for nuts that were too tough to crack. So, you have:

1) Normal training course
2) Training course for the subnormal dog
3) Training course for my dog
that's why i always go big dumb and hairy. smart dogs are a proboem

My Shih Tzu is 12 years & 8 months old and has Cushing's Disease since he was 7. He's on meds for that plus two for a subsequent bad heart. He's been overweight since being diagnosed (23lbs vs 15 for his breed). He's also on an eye drop regimen.

For the last 3 months his quality of life seems to have diminished; he doesn't appear to be in pain, but all he does is sleep. He doesn't even greet me (or guests) at the door and he now wakes up every morning between 5-5:30 am (instead of sleeping in). Since last Friday he's had bloody diarrhea and doesn't want to eat or take his meds (he LOVES to eat and his pills are a treat).

We took him to the vet and he said he's only going to get worse; kidney failure, diabetes, etc. due to the Cushing's. We have him scheduled to be laid to rest on Friday at 2pm, but it's certainly not an easy decision. I don't want to wait until it's 3am and he's in pain and we're rushing around trying to find an ER vet (been there with a previous pet). Am I doing the right thing by sending him off now before it gets worse? He struggles to walk, sometimes breathe and now doesn't even like to eat.

Gn5WgtP.jpg
What's the good boy's name? Even though I never met him, I'm going to picture him zooming around causing all sorts of hijinks and hilarity.

Yes, we're going to put his ashes here with me in my office. While he was the family pet, he was really my boy and best pal. He'd jump over everyone else just to get to me first. LOL

Another thing that will help is we have our 11month old, mama's boy, Joey James:

EEQ1qur.jpg
What kind of dog is that? Our two year old cockapoo looks identical.

Dog owner: This dog is like family. I love this dog so much.
Also Dog owner: Well he couldn't control his peeing anymore so we had to kill him.
You think those thoughts did not go through my head? You think any dog owner doesn't beat themselves over this decision, as is evident in this thread. You think a decision like this is taken lightly? It's like ripping your heart out.

**** off. Douche.

You think those thoughts did not go through my head? You think any dog owner doesn't beat themselves over this decision, as is evident in this thread. You think a decision like this is taken lightly? It's like ripping your heart out.

**** off. Douche.
I'm sure plenty of people that murder someone have remorse. Congrats.

Dog owner: This dog is like family. I love this dog so much.
Also Dog owner: Well he couldn't control his peeing anymore so we had to kill him.
I'll only reply for myself here, but our dog was in a ton of pain, could barely get up to walk, going blind and deaf and covered with cancerous growths....so it was a bit more than 'controlling his pissing'

Reactions: darylhawk
These threads suck but yet I always read them. I think the worst part is thinking about my own dogs as they are now 7 and 8. I hate thinking about them in another 5 years give or take.
As much as it might suck, I kinda hope they both go around the same time. Easier on the one dog still alive and might be easier on the wife and I as well.

Ya, I'll be in there. My wife is going to have to console me for sure.

He really is. Never wears a collar, he won't run off and aside from his medication regimen, is about as low maintenance as they come.
We lost our two in the past 18 months. When we drove up for Max, I couldn't even speak to the tech to tell her why we were there (they still have customers park and call). Being with them at the end was crushing but I can't even imagine not being there. Been over a year now for Max and 8 months for Slinky and even with our new doodle, Milo, nothing fills the hole Max and Slinky left in our lives.

Good dogs, one and all.

He really is. Never wears a collar, he won't run off and aside from his medication regimen, is about as low maintenance as they come.
My 10 year old Bulldog Odin is similar. All he needs is a short walk once a day, a solid patch of sun to warm himself, some shade for cooling off and "his" chair. He's gone grey in the last year, his hearing isn't what it was and his hips get sore if he plays too hard, but he's just as good of a dog as he's ever been.

We sit together every night and talk about how lucky we're are.
IxzwVhH.jpeg

We lost our two in the past 18 months. When we drove up for Max, I couldn't even speak to the tech to tell her why we were there (they still have customers park and call). Being with them at the end was crushing but I can't even imagine not being there. Been over a year now for Max and 8 months for Slinky and even with our new doodle, Milo, nothing fills the hole Max and Slinky left in our lives.

Good dogs, one and all.
Thanks for sharing, Tar. ...and thanks to others in the this thread. There are certainly some good humans on this board and despite our differences I sincerely appreciate all the support and kind words. This thread has been a good outlet for me. I've got about 5 hours left with my pal and I'm already tired of crying.

This Sucks Season 3 GIF by The Office

My middle daughter has been chatting with me all morning too...she frack'n loves that pooch and my son has never known life without him!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT