ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal Guards

Kansas Basketball pre fall 2021: Bill Self recruits two portal point guards to KU, neither of which is starting, but Remy Martin plays a big role. The big boys stockpile talent and let things shake out. There’s a reason why they are in a final four.
He didn’t stockpile Remy Martin. Healthy he would have started and played 30 minutes a game from day 1. He’s been injured most of the season.

Reactions: bojihawk44
He didn’t stockpile Remy Martin. Healthy he would have started and played 30 minutes a game from day 1. He’s been injured most of the season.
Stockpile, as in acquire as much talent as possible and not worry about feelings getting hurt. Self got Yesufu from Drake to transfer in April. In essence he recruited over him a month later when he got Remy in the portal in May. Yesufu could not have been happy and he hasn’t really played. I don’t think Fran would do something like that, to his credit.

Reactions: shudaddy
I think they feel like Bowen can come in and handle the 1 or 2 along with help from Ulis/Perkins. Their more immediate need is a big. I would rather they go after a defensive shot blocking, rebounding big than a stretch which seems to always be their mo.
We need 2 athletic guards and 1 Center from the portal. More guards the better

Reactions: Fan In Black
We need 2 athletic guards and 1 Center from the portal. More guards the better

I still feel they think they are set at PG and OFFG with Bowen, Ulis, Conner, Perk, Dix
I think their number one need is a center, number 2 need is a 3/4/5 Combo guy hopefully with emphasis on athleticism instead of 3 point shooting.

Reactions: amahawk
I still feel they think they are set at PG and OFFG with Bowen, Ulis, Conner, Perk, Dix
I think their number one need is a center, number 2 need is a 3/4/5 Combo guy hopefully with emphasis on athleticism instead of 3 point shooting.
If we want to do something in March we need athletic and good guards. Connor is trash, ulis is meh, Bowen is an unknown (I like his tape), and dix is injured and a freshman. We need better guards

If we want to do something in March we need athletic and good guards. Connor is trash, ulis is meh, Bowen is an unknown (I like his tape), and dix is injured and a freshman. We need better guards
I don't disagree. I think the staff feel like Bowen is what they have been looking for in the regard and can handle the majority of the minutes. Couple him with Perkins and Ulis as a backup and that is a pretty decent defensive backcourt. Will they be able to score and stretch the defense...we know Perkins can but thats it so far.

Connor led the team in 3pt shooting in conference play this year FWIW.
16669-a55adcfb3e833acd09a73cdca8e4c722.gif

I don’t disagree per se, but the poster I responded to stated all of us should find a new team if any current walk-ons were given a scholarship. My question is simply, why now? As you pointed out, Fran has a history of wasting schollies.
I don't get this - he gave a scholly to Ash because it wasn't going to be used - he rewarded a guy for helping the team for several years, not because he needed him to win games.

He's has some recruiting misses - most coaches do.

When has he wasted a scholarship?

Portal priority is a big man. Ulis will start at the 1. Bowen will come off bench. Tony, Kris, Pmac, Connor, Sandfort and Rebraca.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Connor at PG? So we want a PG who virtually is no offensive threat? Understand he got hot from 3 for about a four or five game stretch but that won’t cut over a 30+ game schedule. Plus, he can’t break people down off the dribble. CM has value, but just don’t see it at PG.

I don't think anyone is suggesting CMac starts and plays 30 mpg. I'd see a role similar to this past season, with maybe 5 of his min running the point.

As for the other discussion, they need another big and a guard/wing, hopefully one that can shoot. They really only have Payton and Kris that can shoot from the outside. If Bowen or Dix can help with that, great. However, I'd put backcourt WAY behind a big in terms of "need".

They don't "need" anything else. Another athletic wing in the 6'4-6'7 range would be great, but not a need.

It's funny because I always liked Connor and what he brought to the team, just thought his role and minutes outpaced his actual ability and value.

It's just that, if you can find a transfer guy like Jamison Battle, Jalen Pickett, DeVante’ Jones, Izaiah Brockington, Alfonso Plummer, and Fatts Russell, wouldn't you tell CMac to maybe go fly a kite for awhile? Not sure what purpose he would serve if you could land one of the many good portal guards.
Connor seems to be the kind of a guy that might decide to come back, even if he would only get 10 minutes a game or less. He might just want to be on the team, play with his brother be coached by his Dad - even it's mostly practice time. And Fran has already said he doesn't need a scholarship.

Reactions: perryhawk
Everyone says (and I agree) that guards are needed to win the big games, the close games, the tournament games. A guard court of Ulis, Bowen, Perkins and Dix - that sure doesn't sound like the guard court needed. And only one of them has any experience.

Now, maybe Ulis will blossom, Bowen will play beyond his experience, Dix will play well and no one will get hurt. Than sounds like more hope than a plan.

I think they need a guard every bit as much as they need a big.

So Bulldogs said that Connor would play extended minutes at the PG position next year. I said he wouldn’t. Where are you getting lost? Maybe you should stay the **** out of conversations you don’t understand. Your input wasn’t needed or wanted, stupid.
I am not lost lol. I am just making the comment that he is playing extended minutes at basketball for this team. He deserves 0 mins imo. Hopefully he leaves the program or becomes an assistant coach.

I don't get this - he gave a scholly to Ash because it wasn't going to be used - he rewarded a guy for helping the team for several years, not because he needed him to win games.

He's has some recruiting misses - most coaches do.

When has he wasted a scholarship?
It’s absolutely a matter of perspective. I think most fans want it to go to someone who will actually contribute to the rotation (e.g. Nick Baer). Using it on someone who is just going to come in during garbage time and chuck up 3s from his hips is a waste in most fans’ eyes. Might as well go out and take a chance on a JUCO player.

It’s absolutely a matter of perspective. I think most fans want it to go to someone who will actually contribute to the rotation (e.g. Nick Baer). Using it on someone who is just going to come in during garbage time and chuck up 3s from his hips is a waste in most fans’ eyes. Might as well go out and take a chance on a JUCO player.
Fran decided not to do that - he didn't "choose" between Ash and someone else - he had his team set, had an extra scholly and gave it to Ash.

It's perfectly understandable to wonder why he didn't go grab another player, but that's a whole different conversation than giving a scholly to Ash.

Where's the shooter(s) in that group?

I am not lost lol. I am just making the comment that he is playing extended minutes at basketball for this team. He deserves 0 mins imo. Hopefully he leaves the program or becomes an assistant coach.
Agreed. Time to move on. Have no problem with him staying on the staff but I can't take another year of him. He made a couple big shots down the stretch but those were exceptions. He played 23 minutes against Richmond and didn't score. He brings nothing to the team except leadership and he can do that just fine holding a clipboard. I am blown away by the circular logic that some on here use to justify him playing so many minutes. It's just completely asinine

I’ll take this wager. Define extended.
CMAC in 2022 averaged 17 minutes and he's average 23 minutes/game for past 3 years while scoring around 3.3 points per game. His entire career has included extended play....he's a 9th guy on the bench type talent on a good team, which should mean a few minutes/game PT.

I didn't see any player that resembled CMAC is athleticism/scoring on the court during NCAA tourney play at Sweet16 level or above.

Next year, does CMAC repeat his hot shooting hand that lasted around 6 games out of 134 game career? Hopefully.

CMAC in 2022 averaged 17 minutes and he's average 23 minutes/game for past 3 years while scoring around 3.3 points per game. His entire career has included extended play....he's a 9th guy on the bench type talent on a good team, which should mean a few minutes/game PT.

I didn't see any player that resembled CMAC is athleticism/scoring on the court during NCAA tourney play at Sweet16 level or above.

Next year, does CMAC repeat his hot shooting hand that lasted around 6 games out of 134 game career? Hopefully.
So once again we have illogical with a reading comprehension issue. Follow the entire conversation before you comment. THE DISCUSSION WAS ABOUT CONNOR PLAYING EXTENDED MINUTES AT PG. I asked Bulldogs to define extended. Then you and that talentless hack Bruno started chirping about his total minutes played. You mother ****ers are daft.

Reactions: BBHawk
I hope McCaffery is taking a look at a lot of players in the portal as, as far as I'm concerned, we may not have seen the last of the defectors. I would like him to find a big wing scorer and a rim protector, both of which have pride in their defense. I would rather that Connor had decided to not come back, just because of the divisiveness he causes on here, but it sounds as though he is going to use his covid year and thus will play quite a bit. If Dix is truly healthy, great! I'm also hoping Perkins continues his quality play and Sandfort finds some consistency and develops into a scoring source we can count on.

Reactions: unclesammy
Fran decided not to do that - he didn't "choose" between Ash and someone else - he had his team set, had an extra scholly and gave it to Ash.

It's perfectly understandable to wonder why he didn't go grab another player, but that's a whole different conversation than giving a scholly to Ash.
So, what I said.

Okay.

Might as well go out and take a chance on a JUCO player.
A JUCO would have multiple years of eligibility is one reason to not do this. We all know the reputation Crean got by not renewing scholarships.
And yet some can't understand this...

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
So once again we have illogical with a reading comprehension issue. Follow the entire conversation before you comment. THE DISCUSSION WAS ABOUT CONNOR PLAYING EXTENDED MINUTES AT PG. I asked Bulldogs to define extended. Then you and that talentless hack Bruno started chirping about his total minutes played. You mother ****ers are daft.

Talentless lol. You must mean the #MostTalented

Dix
Sandfort
Kris

Sometimes Perkins
Bowen??? Who knows yet

My question was more about the guards you listed --- in reality, none of those guys (without a lot of improvement) are going to strike fear in opposing coaches as outside threats. As the roster stands, the only two I consider as outside shooters are Kris and Sandfort (yeah, Perkins, CMac, PMac make 3s once in a while, but career stats say they aren't getting invited to the SR 3-point contest at the end of the year --- and I'm not bashing on them...they are who they are...but who they are really requires other shooterS on the floor to help with spacing to help free up what they are better at --- do I want Perkins to be a threat, yes, but mostly because that can open up what he does best...driving to the basket...not so he can stand around the perimeter and chuck up more 3s).

Reactions: Sheahawk and BBptg5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT