ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal Guards

I'd say Fran is almost forced to recruit at least a experienced combo guard even if he puts Laketa and Kingsbury on scholarship. Having only Ahron, Desonte, and Tony as our only point guards, an injury to any of them could be devastating.

I'd say Fran is almost forced to recruit at least a experienced combo guard even if he puts Laketa and Kingsbury on scholarship. Having only Ahron, Desonte, and Tony as our only point guards, an injury to any of them could be devastating.
Why are we talking about Laketa being on scholarship? Good god if that happens it’s time for us all to find another team.

Tony is not a point guard. You're leaving out Connor who will play a significant role. I doubt Fran brings a guard in off the portal.

He better if Dix can’t go this coming season. He should be looking to sign a guard, Shaw, and possibly two big men as well.
Only 3 scholarships available if CMac stays. Iowa really only needs an experienced big and a guard, so those 2 from the portal would be fine. Any more and it gets crowded on that bench.

Reactions: Jonnymungo
Only 3 scholarships available if CMac stays. Iowa really only needs an experienced big and a guard, so those 2 from the portal would be fine. Any more and it gets crowded on that bench.
Iowa is losing Keegan, JBo, Joe T, and Josh, as well as Austin Ash on a scholarship and only adding two guards in Dix and Bowen. Fran better get at least a guard and one or two big men if possible as well as Shaw if he can sign him. At least bring in the Iona kid.

Reactions: Chicagoherky71
Fran is not going to add a PG from the portal. Could maybe look for a shooter, but they would have to be willing to take a smaller role and come off the bench. Ultimately, Fran will probably get a big from the portal then bank any remaining scholarships.

Reactions: perryhawk
Tony is not a point guard. You're leaving out Connor who will play a significant role. I doubt Fran brings a guard in off the portal.
Connor at PG? So we want a PG who virtually is no offensive threat? Understand he got hot from 3 for about a four or five game stretch but that won’t cut over a 30+ game schedule. Plus, he can’t break people down off the dribble. CM has value, but just don’t see it at PG.

no, he isn't.

Bowen/Ulis/Perkins/CMac/Dix are all capable combo guards. Then you have Sandfort/PMac/Kris Murray that can get minutes at times at the 2.

Then yes, Kingsbury and Laketa would be guys that could contribute if needed.

We'll be fine in the backcourt with or without adding someone from the portal.

Portal is going to be a big.

If Ulis stays, that's only 2 PG's (sure TP, CMac or even PMac could play PG in a dire emergency, but it won't matter if they have to go that extreme), and neither one has experience.

Ulis didn't finish the season well. Could be burn out, frustration with not playing, whatever. Bowen carrying the load at PG as a true Freshman?

If Fran can get one, he should go for it.

Iowa is losing Keegan, JBo, Joe T, and Josh, as well as Austin Ash on a scholarship and only adding two guards in Dix and Bowen. Fran better get at least a guard and one or two big men if possible as well as Shaw if he can sign him. At least bring in the Iona kid.
You can argue about the talent but the bodies are there. Fran is expecting Cmac, Perk, Bowen and Ulis to run the guard positions. If Dix is ready that's a 5th body at the guard spot. Don't need anymore. He's expecting Sandfort,Pmac, and Kris to consume the 3/4 minutes. Pmac might not have the stamina but expect Kris to play 30+ like Keegan did this year. Cmac can spell there as well when needed. He's counting on bringing in a big to work the 5 with Rebraca. If he fails there then it's up to Mulvey. That's a 9-10 man rotation right there. Anyone else would likely only play spot minutes so I'm not sure what you'd be offering a higher caliber guard in the portal.

Connor at PG? So we want a PG who virtually is no offensive threat? Understand he got hot from 3 for about a four or five game stretch but that won’t cut over a 30+ game schedule. Plus, he can’t break people down off the dribble. CM has value, but just don’t see it at PG.
Not for 30 minutes but 5-10 min and possibly at end of games. Conner is good ball handler and doesn’t panic against press. He is also fairly good FT shooter so could see him at PG for few mins per game

Reactions: perryhawk and SB_SB
You can argue about the talent but the bodies are there. Fran is expecting Cmac, Perk, Bowen and Ulis to run the guard positions. If Dix is ready that's a 5th body at the guard spot. Don't need anymore. He's expecting Sandfort,Pmac, and Kris to consume the 3/4 minutes. Pmac might not have the stamina but expect Kris to play 30+ like Keegan did this year. Cmac can spell there as well when needed. He's counting on bringing in a big to work the 5 with Rebraca. If he fails there then it's up to Mulvey. That's a 9-10 man rotation right there. Anyone else would likely only play spot minutes so I'm not sure what you'd be offering a higher caliber guard in the portal.

If Fran brings in another guard there's a chance Ulis could leave. That may or may not be ok depending on who Fran could get.

If fran isn't looking for another scorer along with a big he's doing a disservice to the team next year.
This. I’ve said it before (at least in my head, if not on this forum) and I’ll say it again - If you’re not using the portal to make your team better every year, and your opponents are, you’re falling behind competitively.

This. I’ve said it before (at least in my head, if not on this forum) and I’ll say it again - If you’re not using the portal to make your team better every year, and your opponents are, you’re falling behind competitively.
I agree if you are talking about selectively using the portal. You can't be a developmental program if you push your HS recruits out the door.

Two years in a row (assuming Keegan leaves as expected) we've lost impact players early. IMO if that happens you need to bring in impact replacements. Either HS recruits ready to excel right away, or impact transfers.

I agree if you are talking about selectively using the portal. You can't be a developmental program if you push your HS recruits out the door.

Two years in a row (assuming Keegan leaves as expected) we've lost impact players early. IMO if that happens you need to bring in impact replacements. Either HS recruits ready to excel right away, or impact transfers.
I think we’re basically saying the same thing. To put it another way, if your net losses via the portal are greater than your net gains, you’re losing ground.

I also agree with your point about the nature of a developmental program, but if a coach can identify a player early in high school who he predicts will be a contributor in college, he can also identify a player in his program who’s unlikely to be a major contributor after 2 years in college. At that point you have to try to make your program better (and help players like Josh find a better fit).

Reactions: seer_hawk
He should check in with Adam Miller who use to play for Illinois

No thank you.
This kid talked about Loyalty, Loyalty, Loyalty when he committed to Illinois. He talked about Loyalty to Peoria.

He left Peoria for Chicago in HS.
He left IL for LSU, now _____.

This kid is the opposite of Loyalty.
No thanks.

I would be very surprised if Iowa did not bring in a guard and a big man from the portal. Fran likes to win and knows there are a couple holes to fill.

I also expect big things out of a few of the guys coming back. Perkins and Kris should be the team leaders and all-Big Ten capable players. Sandfort is one of the better shooters I’ve seen play for Iowa. Ulis has a big opportunity to step up and I think he will take advantage of that.

I’m looking forward to watching next year’s team.

There are already lots of PGs and Bigs in the portal, but I have no idea which of them the coaches have had any connections. If Fran doesn't at least try to bring in a big and a combo guard, I don't think he is doing his job.

Kansas Basketball pre fall 2021: Bill Self recruits two portal point guards to KU, neither of which is starting, but Remy Martin plays a big role. The big boys stockpile talent and let things shake out. There’s a reason why they are in a final four.

No thank you.
This kid talked about Loyalty, Loyalty, Loyalty when he committed to Illinois. He talked about Loyalty to Peoria.

He left Peoria for Chicago in HS.
He left IL for LSU, now _____.

This kid is the opposite of Loyalty.
No thanks.
Yeah, but Illinois owes us one (even if it is by way of LSU).

Connor will play extended minutes at pg next year and will be lauded for his passing but his abysmal shooting and inability to drive will conveniently be overlooked.
It's funny because I always liked Connor and what he brought to the team, just thought his role and minutes outpaced his actual ability and value.

It's just that, if you can find a transfer guy like Jamison Battle, Jalen Pickett, DeVante’ Jones, Izaiah Brockington, Alfonso Plummer, and Fatts Russell, wouldn't you tell CMac to maybe go fly a kite for awhile? Not sure what purpose he would serve if you could land one of the many good portal guards.

It's funny because I always liked Connor and what he brought to the team, just thought his role and minutes outpaced his actual ability and value.

It's just that, if you can find a transfer guy like Jamison Battle, Jalen Pickett, DeVante’ Jones, Izaiah Brockington, Alfonso Plummer, and Fatts Russell, wouldn't you tell CMac to maybe go fly a kite for awhile? Not sure what purpose he would serve if you could land one of the many good portal guards.
Is Jimmy Chitwood available ?

Lucky Iowa is the only college team looking for a big man and we have tons of NIL money just sitting in a closet to help out..:(

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT