ADVERTISEMENT

Transgender sports ban advances in the Iowa Legislature

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
People on both sides of a bill that would ban transgender girls from competing on girls sports teams say students are under attack.

Those who support House File 2309 say girls are being robbed of opportunities to compete in sports on a level playing field when schools allow transgender girls to join their teams and potentially beat out girls for starting spots, medals and scholarships.

People who oppose the legislation say its an attack on transgender students, who already face increased risk of depression, anxiety and suicide and just want to play on a team that matches their gender identities.

“You can put up those health outcomes, those risks, and then put up the benefits of sports. It’s like we have an antidote,” Dr. Katie Imborek, co-director of the University of Iowa’s LGBTQ Clinic, said at a House Education subcommittee meeting Thursday in Des Moines. “This bill pretends to protect girls, but it is solving a problem that doesn’t exist.”

More than 20 people spoke out for and against HF2309, which would require any Iowa schools that get public funding to designate sports programs as one of the following: open to biological females, open to biological males or coeducational.

In a 2-to-1 decision, the subcommittee advanced the bill to the full Education committee. Rep. Skyler Wheeler, R-Orange City, and Rep. Henry Stone, R-Forest City, supported the bill. Rep. Mary Mascher, D-Iowa City, opposed it.

Several people who made statements Thursday said it’s not fair for biological males to complete against biological females, even if the boys identify as girls.

“I have five brothers and grew up outnumbered by the boys at every turn. I wouldn’t always be able to keep up, regardless if I wanted to,” said Rebecca Oleson, who works for the Family Leader, a Des Moines-based social conservative organization. “The bottom line is boys and girls are different. Girls deserve to compete on a level playing field. Girls should never be sidelined in their own sports.”

Another speaker highlighted recent news stories about Lia Thomas, a transgender woman breaking records as part of the University of Pennsylvania women’s swim team. Thomas competed as a male swimmer before undergoing hormone treatment as part of her transition, the Washington Post reported.

Sixteen of Thomas’s teammates wrote a letter recently saying they support her decision to affirm her gender identity, but that she should not be allowed to compete against them.

“Biologically, Lia holds an unfair advantage over competition in the women’s category, as evidenced by her rankings that have bounced from #462 as a male to #1 as a female. If she were to be eligible to compete against us, she could now break Penn, Ivy, and NCAA Women’s Swimming records; feats she could never have done as a male athlete,” the Post reported from the letter.

But in Iowa high schools, there hasn’t been a challenge of a district decision about an athlete’s gender and sports competition, the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union told The Gazette in December.

RELATED: Hear from a West High transgender student on the move to ban transgender athletes

School superintendents said at that time they were looking for guidance from the Legislature.

Iowa Code Chapter 216.9 prohibits discrimination in educational institutions based on “race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion or disability.“ But the code excludes school athletic programs.

“You can discriminate if it’s deemed an unfair advantage,” Gary Ross, associate director for the Girls Athletic Union, told The Gazette in December.

Emily Piper, a lobbyist for the Iowa Association of School Boards, told the subcommittee Thursday HF2309 puts school administrators in the position of deciding whether they want to violate state law or federal law. There are different interpretations of how Title IX, the federal gender equity law, comes into play with transgender sports participation, according to the National Law Review.

“The end result for school districts will be confusion,” Piper said. “It’s going to be expensive and it will be very difficult to manage.”

Mascher said she wants the state to investigate how much the bill could cost, given provisions the Iowa Attorney General would be required to represent any school district sued because of the legislation.

Reactions: HawkFan1298
People on both sides of a bill that would ban transgender girls from competing on girls sports teams say students are under attack.

Those who support House File 2309 say girls are being robbed of opportunities to compete in sports on a level playing field when schools allow transgender girls to join their teams and potentially beat out girls for starting spots, medals and scholarships.

People who oppose the legislation say its an attack on transgender students, who already face increased risk of depression, anxiety and suicide and just want to play on a team that matches their gender identities.

“You can put up those health outcomes, those risks, and then put up the benefits of sports. It’s like we have an antidote,” Dr. Katie Imborek, co-director of the University of Iowa’s LGBTQ Clinic, said at a House Education subcommittee meeting Thursday in Des Moines. “This bill pretends to protect girls, but it is solving a problem that doesn’t exist.”

More than 20 people spoke out for and against HF2309, which would require any Iowa schools that get public funding to designate sports programs as one of the following: open to biological females, open to biological males or coeducational.

In a 2-to-1 decision, the subcommittee advanced the bill to the full Education committee. Rep. Skyler Wheeler, R-Orange City, and Rep. Henry Stone, R-Forest City, supported the bill. Rep. Mary Mascher, D-Iowa City, opposed it.

Several people who made statements Thursday said it’s not fair for biological males to complete against biological females, even if the boys identify as girls.

“I have five brothers and grew up outnumbered by the boys at every turn. I wouldn’t always be able to keep up, regardless if I wanted to,” said Rebecca Oleson, who works for the Family Leader, a Des Moines-based social conservative organization. “The bottom line is boys and girls are different. Girls deserve to compete on a level playing field. Girls should never be sidelined in their own sports.”

Another speaker highlighted recent news stories about Lia Thomas, a transgender woman breaking records as part of the University of Pennsylvania women’s swim team. Thomas competed as a male swimmer before undergoing hormone treatment as part of her transition, the Washington Post reported.

Sixteen of Thomas’s teammates wrote a letter recently saying they support her decision to affirm her gender identity, but that she should not be allowed to compete against them.

“Biologically, Lia holds an unfair advantage over competition in the women’s category, as evidenced by her rankings that have bounced from #462 as a male to #1 as a female. If she were to be eligible to compete against us, she could now break Penn, Ivy, and NCAA Women’s Swimming records; feats she could never have done as a male athlete,” the Post reported from the letter.

But in Iowa high schools, there hasn’t been a challenge of a district decision about an athlete’s gender and sports competition, the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union told The Gazette in December.

RELATED: Hear from a West High transgender student on the move to ban transgender athletes

School superintendents said at that time they were looking for guidance from the Legislature.

Iowa Code Chapter 216.9 prohibits discrimination in educational institutions based on “race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion or disability.“ But the code excludes school athletic programs.

“You can discriminate if it’s deemed an unfair advantage,” Gary Ross, associate director for the Girls Athletic Union, told The Gazette in December.

Emily Piper, a lobbyist for the Iowa Association of School Boards, told the subcommittee Thursday HF2309 puts school administrators in the position of deciding whether they want to violate state law or federal law. There are different interpretations of how Title IX, the federal gender equity law, comes into play with transgender sports participation, according to the National Law Review.

“The end result for school districts will be confusion,” Piper said. “It’s going to be expensive and it will be very difficult to manage.”

Mascher said she wants the state to investigate how much the bill could cost, given provisions the Iowa Attorney General would be required to represent any school district sued because of the legislation.

A similar bill is going through the Indiana legislature now, too.

I guess there are not any more pressing needs that our legislators need to consider?

tic

Transgenders and CRT seem to be the biggest, most common existential threat we ALL are facing.

smh

I guess there are not any more pressing needs that our legislators need to consider?

tic

Transgenders and CRT seem to be the biggest, most common existential threat we ALL are facing.

smh
Why not address it early so nobody is confused about their future if they are going to factor in sports participation when selecting a new gender?

No, there are a lot more crucial problems in our society but the left has decided to completely abdicate their responsibility to address them. Run a way inflation, our southern border in under an invasion, Eastern Europe is about to go to war, crime is going through the roof but the left doesn't give a rats rear end about any of it. So where Republicans can make a difference in red states they are trying to avoid any further chaos caused by the woke culture.

tic

smh
What an odd stance. Seems the like the legislature can deal with multiple issues at one time right? If "following the science", as we have heard for two years now, is the right thing to do this bill should easily pass with bipartisan support. Weird how science gets shoved to the ground by some leftists in this debate.

Reactions: caseyballzz
What is the major objection to keeping biological males from competing in girls' sports? Honest question. To me, unless they've had a full transformation, why should any biological male be allowed to compete against cis girls?
I don't think that anybody supports competition before transformation. And honestly virtually no trans compete anyway. This is yet another made up issue by the Rs to avoid real work.

I know of zero cases where this is a problem in Iowa. So why are creating laws for it?
All it takes is one. This is about not allowing for fair competition for female sports. Period. Huey, getting you to grasp this is not easy so I am not expecting that. It completely jeopardizes girl sports.

• Haha
Reactions: Huey Grey
What an odd stance. Seems the like the legislature can deal with multiple issues at one time right? If "following the science", as we have heard for two years now, is the right thing to do this bill should easily pass with bipartisan support. Weird how science gets shoved to the ground by some leftists in this debate.
We are following the science. Zero cases of this being a problem in Iowa. Why don't you guys spend your time on real problems. I mean, we know why. Rs can't solve real problems, but it's still irritating you pull this shit anyway.

Reactions: TheCainer
All it takes is one. This is about not allowing for fair competition for female sports. Period. Huey, getting you to grasp this is not easy so I am not expecting that. It completely jeopardizes girl sports.
Oh please. Even with one, do we really need a law? It's lazy legislating by the Rs.

What is the major objection to keeping biological males from competing in girls' sports? Honest question. To me, unless they've had a full transformation, why should any biological male be allowed to compete against cis girls?
Oh, see you can't change sex, so what is this "full transformation" stuff you're talking?

Also, "cis?" LOL.

Also hyperbole much? How on god's green earth does this completely jeopardize all of girls sports when you can't even cite one instance of this being a problem in Iowa? You're being dishonest.

Also hyperbole much? How on god's green earth does this completely jeopardize all of girls sports when you can't even cite one instance of this being a problem in Iowa? You're being dishonest.
Sometimes males are born in "the wrong body." It's science. We should all be held hostage by this perfectly scientific science.

So we'

So we're creating laws to ward off lawsuits for things that aren't even happening?

This is yet more proof that Rs can't solve real problems so instead have to invent stupid boogeymen.
What’s your “real” solution?

Don't want to admit this isn't a real problem, do you? You guys have gone off the deep end.
Deep end of the pool? Like the transitioned person at Penn whose female teammates have anonymously signed a letter of protest?
This person had an operation but they kept their male muscular advantage and their greater lung capacity which automatically gave this person an advantage that cannot be overcome by those who were born in a female form. It’s not a huge leap for me to understand why they might be upset.

That trans girls are taking over sports in Iowa. Prove this is a problem or exit the thread.
There are two sexes.

"Gender" and "gender identity" is based on reductive stereotypes. If I knew you were bi and hadn't read many of your dumbass posts, I'd think you'd find the loudest trans ideology to also be very unprogressive and largely homophobic. But apparently you think otherwise.

As soon as someone can figure out how to make $$ dealing with this issue, the issue will be solved!
Throw clinical psych, Pharma, and surgeons at the issue. Back it up with mainstream media and the White House. There's endless money and misery to be made.

Issue solved.

Deep end of the pool? Like the transitioned person at Penn whose female teammates have anonymously signed a letter of protest?
This person had an operation but they kept their male muscular advantage and their greater lung capacity which automatically gave this person an advantage that cannot be overcome by those who were born in a female form. It’s not a huge leap for me to understand why they might be upset.
We aren't Penn, Einstein. We are Iowa. You are doing everything in your power to avoid having to cite that this is a problem in Iowa.

There are two sexes.

"Gender" and "gender identity" is based on reductive stereotypes. If I knew you were bi and hadn't read many of your dumbass posts, I'd think you'd find the loudest trans ideology to also be very unprogressive and largely homophobic. But apparently you think otherwise.
I love how you are trying to shift the conversation because you can't show that this is a problem in Iowa.

I love how you are trying to shift the conversation because you can't show that this is a problem in Iowa.
It's a problem in the Ivy League and the halls of power. I support the proactive pushback of gender woowoo creeping into society. It's non-science nonsense and harms women and girls (those are human females, btw).

Reactions: goldmom
Yes, let’s wait until there are a half dozen different lawsuits scattered across the state.

So we'

So we're creating laws to ward off lawsuits for things that aren't even happening?

This is yet more proof that Rs can't solve real problems so instead have to invent stupid boogeymen.
I appreciate the irony of small government tackling a bill that affects at most a handful of student athletes at the moment.
No, there are a lot more crucial problems in our society but the left has decided to completely abdicate their responsibility to address them. Run a way inflation, our southern border in under an invasion, Eastern Europe is about to go to war, crime is going through the roof but the left doesn't give a rats rear end about any of it. So where Republicans can make a difference in red states they are trying to avoid any further chaos caused by the woke culture.
To be fair, any meaningful immigration policy overhaul requires bipartisan support to get it through both houses of Congress. There aren’t many Republican proposals either. Inflation is not a problem with a quick solution, but ie expect that to come under control over time.
if It is just happening on such a small scale, why can’t this be something the IHSAA be directed to handle? We should honestly expend the time and effort to pass a law, that you can’t even point to a single example of it happening in Iowa?

im fully on-board with saying any teenager transitioning should be barred from competing until they’re done transitioning. Afterwards? Let’s establish guidelines they have to meet in order to qualify. What kills me is that there are people out there who seemingly think there are guys out there who become women just to gain a competitive advantage athletically.

Reactions: gohawks50
My house has never burnt down but that doesn't mean I don't buy insurance.

Reactions: h-hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT