ADVERTISEMENT

Trouble in Minnesota?

Honestly, this scenario is out of control…it’s going to get worse EVERYWHERE!!
We’ve created a culture full of soft pussies that if things don’t work out, get your pay day on the back end. Unfortunately Iowa had to be first in the line. Also this mentality isn’t limited to the college sports world.

We’ve created a culture full of soft pussies that if things don’t work out, get your pay day on the back end. Unfortunately Iowa had to be first in the line. Also this mentality isn’t limited to the college sports world.

It really is bizarre and honestly I’m a pretty emotional cat these days. I genuinely try to empathize with people and see their story, but this insane.

From work place harassment to everything is racist, to hurt feelings…and getting worse daily. !

Here is one quote from the article that is somehow supposed to make Fleck look bad:

"He wanted you to be family, and he wanted you to do whatever he wanted you to do."

Lets break this down into two parts.
1. He wanted the players to be a family? What a scumbag!!! Talk about a toxic environment.
2. The head coach of a Division 1 football program wanted the players to do what he wanted them to do? Isn't telling players what to do. . . . like . . . . the primary job of a head coach?

Last edited:
With a mascot as feckless as a gopher and a rallying cry of "row the boat", it's no surprise the the underbelly of that program is tainted rotten.
Row that boat...

Gmj6rKb.gif

Come on. Clapping when the coach comes in. Sounds like a coach with a major ego problem.

My son worked at the Marriot in IC when Fleck was the coach at Western Mich. When they came to IC they stayed at the Marriot.

The staff was instructed to say some certain greeting when they saw a WMU player or coach. Something stupid like, "It's a great day to be a Bronco!". This requirement came from Fleck.

He's a little nuts. Or, maybe a lot.

Here is one quote from the article that is somehow supposed to make Fleck look bad:

"He wanted you to be family, and he wanted you to do whatever he wanted you to do."

Lets break this down into two parts.
1. He wanted the players to be a family? What a scumbag!!! Talk about a toxic environment.
2. The head coach of a Division 1 football program wanted the players to do what he wanted them to do? Isn't telling players what to do. . . . like . . . . the primary job of a head coach?
The horror! What's next? Professors who expect you to learn what they teach? Bosses who expect you to do the work THEY want done!?! Is this communist China?! Such ridiculous expectations are utter madness!!!! 😁

It really is bizarre and honestly I’m a pretty emotional cat these days. I genuinely try to empathize with people and see their story, but this insane.

From work place harassment to everything is racist, to hurt feelings…and getting worse daily. !
You seem rather fragile.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Fleck is such a stupid fvck, so none of this is surprising.

Gopher fans will just say someone has a grudge and give him another pass so he can continue the tradition of mediocrity with Minnesota football.

Come on. Clapping when the coach comes in. Sounds like a coach with a major ego problem.
At worst, it’s narcissistic. But it could very well be getting blown way out of proportion. What if it’s a simple as he didn’t like the energy in the room? **** damn near every motivational speaker has this approach, it’s lame and tired, but it’s a way to engage the audience. Even pastors at various churches I’ve been to have resorted to it. Is that a toxic culture??

Reactions: cmhawks99
A couple of years ago in his post game after beating Nebraska Fleck said culture won over talent

Leave it to Scott Dochterman to bring this up. I thought Fleck answered it pretty well. He said the players who raised this issue were dismissed from the team for various reasons. He said the issues raised were baseless and he and the staff have full support from the AD and Univ. Board.

He still is a wierd duck.

Leave it to Scott Dochterman to bring this up. I thought Fleck answered it pretty well. He said the players who raised this issue were dismissed from the team for various reasons. He said the issues raised were baseless and he and the staff have full support from the AD and Univ. Board.

He still is a wierd duck.

I think he is a bit over the top as well but i have never played for him. What these past players are complaining about suggests they are exactly the type of player that shouldnt be there. I respect coaches who want to teach life lessons and have a system in order to acheive success. Its hard to breed comraderie, discipline, trust and a winning culture.
Our world is pussified sadly.

Burpees are toxic masculinity. media version of me too for college football. it’s cool when prime time does it though.

PJ with his short pants, no socks and dress shoes demands you clap for him.....and loudly!

I think he is a bit over the top as well but i have never played for him. What these past players are complaining about suggests they are exactly the type of player that shouldnt be there. I respect coaches who want to teach life lessons and have a system in order to acheive success. Its hard to breed comraderie, discipline, trust and a winning culture.
Our world is pussified sadly.
Kind of like those that were after Iowa for racism...

If anyone doesn't like over-the-top rah-rah BS or a coach who loves the spotlight, they shouldn't have accepted a football scholarship at Minnesota. If anyone doesn't like doing what the coach wants them to, they shouldn't play sports.

The Fleck Bank? Good Lord, everything is about him.

Today's story from the Minneapolis Star Tribune

P.J. Fleck calls report of player mistreatment within Gophers program 'baseless'

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck made his comments Thursday during his annual appearance at Big Ten Media Days in Indianapolis.

By Randy Johnson
Minneapolis Star Tribune
JULY 27, 2023 — 11:01AM

INDIANAPOLIS — Gophers coach P.J. Fleck pushed back on a report of player mistreatment in his program, saying his program does not use physical activity to discipline players.

"These allegations are baseless,'' Fleck said during his news conference on Thursday morning at Big Ten Media Days at Lucas Oil Stadium.

The media outlet Front Office Sports published a report Wednesday critical of Fleck's program. Unnamed former players spoke of Fleck creating a "cult"-like culture with non-compliers subjected to punishable workouts and inequitable drug testing procedures. The report described "an environment fraught with intimidation and toxicity.''

"Our program has been proven to work, both on and off the field,'' Fleck said.

In a statement Wednesday, Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle praised Fleck's program, saying in part, "I always encourage all of our student-athletes, including every member of our football team, to reach out to me directly if they encounter any issues. To date, I have not heard from a single football student-athlete about the allegations raised in the reporter's email."

The report mentioned the "Fleck Bank" — in which players could earn "coins" to offset positive drug tests and other violations of team rules. Fleck denied that allegation, saying no one ever got out of type of punishment.

"First of all, the Fleck Bank, mostly used in 2017 and '18, was an analogy in a team meeting, talking about more you invest in a program, the better experience you're going to get out of it,'' Fleck said. "As a head football coach when you come in and you don't know anybody, the guys who do really good things are going to have a really good experience. If you're not doing all the right things, you're probably not going to have a great experience. There was no currency ever exchanged, and there were no coins ever existed.''

Fleck reiterated that the athletic department has taken over the disciplinary actions for all sports. "We do not use physical activity to discipline our players at the University of Minnesota, and we have never done that,'' Fleck said. "Our players do things like they wake up early and clean the weight room. Whatever you did, you watch a video on that. If you were late to class, you watch a video on tardiness. You then write your professor a letter.''

Fleck added that allegations like the ones reported by Front Office Sports aren't uncommon.

"This is a similar story that gets peddled every single year, and the majority of the players had been dismissed or removed from our football team,'' he said.

Gophers players, past and present, came to Fleck's defense on Twitter.

"This has to be satire,'' former Gophers offensive lineman Axel Ruschmeyer tweeted, sarcastically adding, "I can't believe I survived this toxic culture that forced me to be accountable, put the team first and gave me infinite resources to help me if I was struggling. So unbelievably soft, and remaining anonymous is even worse.'' Ruschmeyer completed his eligibility in 2022.

Added redshirt junior defensive end Jah Joyner: "This is FAKE NEWS… The program literally changes your life on and especially off the field.''

Fleck is entering his seventh season as Gophers coach. His teams have a 44-27 record, including 9-4 marks the past two seasons and an 11-2 campaign in 2019 in which Minnesota finished No. 10 in the final Associated Press poll.

Randy Johnson covers University of Minnesota football and college football for the Star Tribune, along with serving as a producer for Puck Drop, the Star Tribune’s enhanced online hockey coverage.

rjohnson@startribune.com
612-673-7664

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT