ADVERTISEMENT

Trump going to cy-hawk game

Maybe this is more common than I realize but I hate mucking up college football with political agendas
Five or seven years ago, I was walking from my parking spot near the Wig & Pen. When I got to the parking lot on the hill before you get to Carver, my path intersected that of Senator Grassley. I was toting my case of beer to a friend's tailgate. We had a nice little conversation, but I avoided anything that political. The Senator was not in either school's colors, which I offered my ISU hat to help him out. He quickly responded that he was a Panther fan. I supposed he had used that one a hundred times at CyHawk events. Anyway, he immediately started complimenting the Iowa State volleyball team and with a little more knowledge than one would have thought. UNI had a great volleyball team that often made the NCAA tournament. ISU had caught up to them and must have beat them that year. It gave a little more credibility to his fandom, unless he just happened to have been there when they played.

But despite that story, I hate seeing out of state politicians trying to capitalize on these events.

Cool. Don't like any of the democrats, and Carson is the only other one from the pubs that I like. I'm interested in what he has to say.

• Haha
Reactions: chaneccooms
I really hope this isn't enough to ruin a game for you. It's not like he's going to your tailgate, he's not taking your seat dude, you don't have to buy him a beer. Cheer up folks
of course it doesn't ruin the game for me. I never said it did. Just because I'm not a fan of it doesn't mean it "ruins" something for me. And if I see one of them I'll be sure to give them a beer

I really hope this isn't enough to ruin a game for you. It's not like he's going to your tailgate, he's not taking your seat dude, you don't have to buy him a beer. Cheer up folks

OVER THE LINE!!!

Sorry, was compelled to respond....... I really don't care. Hey why is this on the football board anyways? Isn't everyone getting their fill on the Off-Topic board?

Reactions: GarryO37
OVER THE LINE!!!

Sorry, was compelled to respond....... I really don't care. Hey why is this on the football board anyways? Isn't everyone getting their fill on the Off-Topic board?

This isn't Nam. There are rules.

Reactions: IACub
He is going as a guest of the Iowa State President.

sigh, well now my football Saturday turns into a campaign trail.
tenor.gif

Grassley is at many UNI events throughout the years, but generally just acts as any other UNI fan while at the games. The governors of Nebraska and Iowa are often at the Heros Game, but generally it's about the ceremony at halftime.

I really hate the forced interjection of politics in sports here in Iowa. We get enough of it otherwise, just let us enjoy sports in non-partisan peace.

Nothing beats Carly Fiorina saying she was rooting for the Hawks vs her alma mater Stanford, trying to pander to Iowans before the caucuses. She was mocked so much she had to come up with a bullshit excuse. Politicians trying to talk sports will always be funny.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT