ADVERTISEMENT

Trump plans to end birthright citizenship with an Executive Order

That was the point of my 1st post. I absolutely think there needs to be some regulation involving firearms. However, POTUS writing an EO to do it would be the absolute worst way to try to implement it. Same applies here. Same applies to any limitation on any Constitutional Amendment.

Use the right process, pass a law that doesn't violate the applicable amendment or write a new amendment that supercedes the previous one (see 18th and 21st).

Entirely correct.
Modification requires either a law passed by Congress, subject to the interpretation by the Court on its Constitutional validity/legality, or an actual change in adding a new Amendment (e.g. Prohibition).

Reactions: cigaretteman
Because many ARE NOT subject to our laws, and are deported if they commit crimes, and tried in their home countries.
Diplomats have immunity, support staff do not. If a lower level staff member of a foreign consulate commits a crime on US soil, he/she most definitely can be prosecuted for it. They might also be deported, depending on the nature and severity of the crime, but they most definitely are subject to US jurisdiction.

To what question? John McCain was a natural born US citizen through jus sanguinis.
Actually, that's not true. The law in force at the time didn't allow for that. As Representative John Sparkman explained it in 1937: “the Canal Zone is not such foreign territory as to come under the law of 1855 [Revised Statutes section 1993] and, on the other hand, it is not part of the United States which would bring it within the Fourteenth Amendment.” Sparkman went on to call the Canal Zone a "no-man's land".
Richard W. Flournoy had written an article in the 1934 American Bar Association Journal that stated: “we have no statutory provisions defining the nationality status of persons born in the Canal Zone . . . .”

As a result of this, in 1937 Congress passed a statute, the Act of Aug. 4, 1937
(now codified at 8 U.S.C. § 1403(a)) granting citizenship to “[a]ny person
born in the Canal Zone on or after February 26, 1904” who had at least one
U.S. citizen parent.

McCain became a citizen by law before his first birthday. Had he actually been born in Panama proper, he would have been a citizen at birth under jus sanguinis. It's weird but it was the law as it existed at the time.

When did you start the process? How long did it take from start to finish? What country is she from?

Thanks for the answers, and if you don't want to answer them, I understand. It's always nice to get some first hand knowledge of the process being discussed.
She's from Germany....I was in the Air Force and spent most of career there then retired and worked civil service on one of the bases there for 6 years. Anyway, never needed a green card for the wife cuz we lived in Germany. Can't apply for one unless you can show residency and income in the states.

Got an assignment here in Florida so we applied for a green card....didn't anticipate it taking 6 months minimum because the active duty folks applications are expedited and I assumed mine would be...

I applied in August and we weren't able to complete the last portion (interview) till May. Could have done it sooner but I wanted to be with her so flew back to Germany for the interview.

Basically a 3 step process....you do the initial application which goes through DHS.....then you fill out more forms (can't remember the form numbers) to go through the USCIS/State Department. Once all that was done we had an interview at the consulate in Frankfurt....very quick because we'd been married 26 years and had the 2 American citizen kids. Interview is basically to determine if you're legit....

Each step costs $$$ and I was surprised by the cost to be honest. Around $1200 to include a medical examination.

I don’t know that I agree with the executive order, but I agree 100% that just being born in the US should not make you a citizen.

Last edited:
She's from Germany....I was in the Air Force and spent most of career there then retired and worked civil service on one of the bases there for 6 years. Anyway, never needed a green card for the wife cuz we lived in Germany. Can't apply for one unless you can show residency and income in the states.

Got an assignment here in Florida so we applied for a green card....didn't anticipate it taking 6 months minimum because the active duty folks applications are expedited and I assumed mine would be...

I applied in August and we weren't able to complete the last portion (interview) till May. Could have done it sooner but I wanted to be with her so flew back to Germany for the interview.

Basically a 3 step process....you do the initial application which goes through DHS.....then you fill out more forms (can't remember the form numbers) to go through the USCIS/State Department. Once all that was done we had an interview at the consulate in Frankfurt....very quick because we'd been married 26 years and had the 2 American citizen kids. Interview is basically to determine if you're legit....

Each step costs $$$ and I was surprised by the cost to be honest. Around $1200 to include a medical examination.

I'll bet doing your family taxes for the past couple decades has been fun...
:eek:

Countries that offer birthright citizenship. Other than Canada and the US, all are in Latin America. Not one in Europe, Asia, Australia or Africa.

1 Antigua and Barbuda
2 Argentina
3 Barbados
4 Belize
5 Bolivia
6 Brazil
7 Canada
8 Chile
9 Cuba
10 Dominica
11 Ecuador
12 El Salvador
13 Fiji
14 Grenada
15 Guatemala
16 Guyana
17 Honduras
18 Jamaica
19 Mexico
20 Nicaragua
21 Panama
22 Paraguay
23 Peru
24 Saint Kitts and Nevis
25 Saint Lucia
26 Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
27 Trinidad and Tobago
28 United States
29 Uruguay
30 Venezuela

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-who-offer-birthright-citizenship.html

Countries that offer birthright citizenship. Other than Canada and the US, all are in Latin America. Not one in Europe, Asia, Australia or Africa.

1 Antigua and Barbuda
2 Argentina
3 Barbados
4 Belize
5 Bolivia
6 Brazil
7 Canada
8 Chile
9 Cuba
10 Dominica
11 Ecuador
12 El Salvador
13 Fiji
14 Grenada
15 Guatemala
16 Guyana
17 Honduras
18 Jamaica
19 Mexico
20 Nicaragua
21 Panama
22 Paraguay
23 Peru
24 Saint Kitts and Nevis
25 Saint Lucia
26 Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
27 Trinidad and Tobago
28 United States
29 Uruguay
30 Venezuela

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-who-offer-birthright-citizenship.html

And?

Trump supporters who support this Trump EO can no longer call themselves constitutionalists.

And in an interesting twist of lime in this story, if you believe Trump can do this by EO, you also must accept that the next President can reverse it with a subsequent EO. So you would have citizenship depending upon who is in the WH, which is OIT level batisht crazy.

Why? What "damage" does it do to our country to give them citizenship?

We're in a situation where Social Security and Medicare are due to go belly up in the next decade because we have an aging population....we need as many tax paying citizens that we can get....why reduce that amount further.

I just don't see the problem that is in dire need of correction here.....

We need liebensraum.

According to CBS and Politifact, even though my President says the US is the “only country in the world” that offers birthright citizenship, there are in fact 33 nations in the world that do.
He plans to make this happen by Execurive Order.
33 nations out of 206, or about 15%. Got it. Time we join the other 85% of the world....

Last edited:
I agree with this.

To me the problem is that congress is unwilling to compromise and futhermore congress is unwilling to step up and assert itself over a president if the president is making the laws that they like anyways.

So presidents have been slowly grabbing more and more power and congress has been all too willing to roll over and let them do it if it its with the majority's desires anyways.

If a POTUS needs to fill in the gap where Congress has passed a law having gaps, or if Congress directs the executive branch to write regulations based on a concept, that's fine.

Obama, and now Trump, aren't filling in gaps, they were / are trying to legislate. The notion of the POTUS making an executive order because Congress is unwilling to change existing law is wrong. That's not the function of the POTUS. Writing an EO that contradicts the Constitution, or specific statutes is wrong, no matter what "the will of the people" is. The will of the people is based on who they elect to Congress and President. POTUS can only veto new laws, and is supposed to faithfully execute existing laws. That's it.

If a POTUS needs to fill in the gap where Congress has passed a law having gaps, or if Congress directs the executive branch to write regulations based on a concept, that's fine.

Obama, and now Trump, aren't filling in gaps, they were / are trying to legislate. The notion of the POTUS making an executive order because Congress is unwilling to change existing law is wrong. That's not the function of the POTUS. Writing an EO that contradicts the Constitution, or specific statutes is wrong, no matter what "the will of the people" is. The will of the people is based on who they elect to Congress and President. POTUS can only veto new laws, and is supposed to faithfully execute existing laws. That's it.

Agreed. It was a major problem I had with Obama. Now, I don't put it entirely on him (maybe 90-95% of it was) as having a GOP majority that was against most of his policies made it difficult to get things through, but, that doesn't necessitate bypassing proper procedures.

Actually, that's not true. The law in force at the time didn't allow for that. As Representative John Sparkman explained it in 1937: “the Canal Zone is not such foreign territory as to come under the law of 1855 [Revised Statutes section 1993] and, on the other hand, it is not part of the United States which would bring it within the Fourteenth Amendment.” Sparkman went on to call the Canal Zone a "no-man's land".
Richard W. Flournoy had written an article in the 1934 American Bar Association Journal that stated: “we have no statutory provisions defining the nationality status of persons born in the Canal Zone . . . .”

As a result of this, in 1937 Congress passed a statute, the Act of Aug. 4, 1937
(now codified at 8 U.S.C. § 1403(a)) granting citizenship to “[a]ny person
born in the Canal Zone on or after February 26, 1904” who had at least one
U.S. citizen parent.

McCain became a citizen by law before his first birthday. Had he actually been born in Panama proper, he would have been a citizen at birth under jus sanguinis. It's weird but it was the law as it existed at the time.
That was an unintended clerical anomaly that was corrected retroactively. The point is that any child born anywhere in the world to American parents is an American by virtue of birthright citizenship.

The fact that the 1937 law applies only to children who had at least one US citizen parent (eg, John McCain) differentiates it from a situation where a pregnant Mexican woman sneaks into Texas to give birth.

That was an unintended clerical anomaly that was corrected retroactively. The point is that any child born anywhere in the world to American parents is an American by virtue of birthright citizenship.

The fact that the 1937 law applies only to children who had at least one US citizen parent (eg, John McCain) differentiates it from a situation where a pregnant Mexican woman sneaks into Texas to give birth.
Immaterial. This has nothing to do with immigrants. By law, McCain was not a US citizen at birth. There was no statute or Constitutional provision in force at his birth that granted citizenship to those born in a US territory regardless of their parentage. It's just a weird anomaly but Congress thought it was important enough that they addressed it with the 1937 law.

I am not going to waste the energy getting upset by this… This is so clearly unconstitutional it’s not worth the effort.

Reactions: JWolf74
If all persons present in the US were "subject to [US} jurisdiction" why was this language included in th 14th amendment as a further requirement to "born in the US." Makes no sense.
Agreed. The authors were not simply repeating themselves...it has a different meaning from simply being here.

Why? What "damage" does it do to our country to give them citizenship?

We're in a situation where Social Security and Medicare are due to go belly up in the next decade because we have an aging population....we need as many tax paying citizens that we can get....why reduce that amount further.

I just don't see the problem that is in dire need of correction here.....
How many 10 year olds do you know that are working?

Agreed. The authors were not simply repeating themselves...it has a different meaning from simply being here.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970203731004576045380685742092

In the aftermath of the Civil War, members of the 39th Congress proposed amending the Constitution to reverse the Supreme Court's notorious 1857 Dred Scott v. Sandford ruling denying citizenship to slaves. The result is the first sentence of the 14th Amendment: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States."

The plain meaning of this language is clear. A foreign national living in the United States is "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" because he is legally required to obey U.S. law. (By contrast, a foreign diplomat who travels here on behalf of a foreign sovereign enjoys diplomatic immunity from—and thus is not subject to the jurisdiction of—U.S. law.)

During congressional debates, both proponents and opponents of the citizenship clause agreed with this interpretation of the 14th Amendment. For example, Pennsylvania Sen. Edgar Cowan opposed the clause precisely because it would extend birthright citizenship to the U.S.-born children of Chinese laborers and other noncitizens who "owe [the U.S.] no allegiance [and] who pretend to owe none."

Trump supporters who support this Trump EO can no longer call themselves constitutionalists.

And in an interesting twist of lime in this story, if you believe Trump can do this by EO, you also must accept that the next President can reverse it with a subsequent EO. So you would have citizenship depending upon who is in the WH, which is OIT level batisht crazy.

Well...many of them are already at that level.

My Mom went through this process when I was young and I remember going to the court and having a party afterwards on her becoming a US citizen. She was even in the small town paper!!

All I know is that I was around 7 when it happened and she came to the states around 1984 and it took her until 1995 to become a US citizen.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Immaterial. This has nothing to do with immigrants. By law, McCain was not a US citizen at birth. There was no statute or Constitutional provision in force at his birth that granted citizenship to those born in a US territory regardless of their parentage. It's just a weird anomaly but Congress thought it was important enough that they addressed it with the 1937 law.
Actually it is material. JP tried to make the point that the language of the jurisdiction clause of the 14th Amendment is there to help people like John McCain. But as you pointed out, it did not help McCain due to an anomaly in the legal status of the Canal Zone.

My point is that the Naturalization Act of 1790, nearly a century before the 14th Amendment, granted automatic citizenship to children born abroad to citizen parents. McCain would have been granted citizenship whether or not the 14th Amendment had ever existed.

Reactions: dandh
I just got my wife of 26 years a Green Card....it's a long and expensive process. She was a slam dunk....2 kids...1 grown, both American citizens. Married to a citizen for 26 years and it still cost us over $1200 and reams of paperwork.

Just sayin...I don't think folks really realize how what it takes to legally immigrate to the U.S. Basically have to apply through 3 Government agencies....DHS, State Department and USCIS.

Congrats on her residency. My wife was granted resident status in 1974 and became a citizen in 1980. It was not easy then, but I don't think it cost very much (however, residency was granted from abroad via application at the US embassy, and we had spent months putting documentation in place). Permanent resident status was and is hard to achieve.

However, other forms of being here legally are much easier to achieve and can lead to permanent residency. I don't think we need to water down our immigration laws, although I think this issue should be handled by Congress, not via Executive Order.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT