ADVERTISEMENT

Trump Pulls in Tulsi Gabbard for Debate Prep

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Former President Donald J. Trump has begun preparing for his debate with Vice President Kamala Harris and has brought in the former Democratic congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard to help sharpen his attacks in a recent practice session at his private club and home, Mar-a-Lago, according to two people with knowledge of Mr. Trump’s schedule.
Ms. Gabbard, who left the Democratic Party after her 2020 presidential run and has rebranded herself as a celebrity among Trump’s base of support, has long been friendly with Mr. Trump and was briefly considered to be his running mate. But her involvement in Mr. Trump’s debate preparation, which has not previously been reported, was partly because of her own performance in a 2019 Democratic presidential primary debate, when Ms. Gabbard eviscerated Ms. Harris in a memorable onstage encounter.
In an email, Karoline Leavitt, a spokeswoman for Mr. Trump, confirmed Ms. Gabbard’s involvement.
Ms. Leavitt said the former president has “proven to be one of the best debaters in political history as evidenced by his knockout blow to Joe Biden. He does not need traditional debate prep but will continue to meet with respected policy advisers and effective communicators like Tulsi Gabbard, who successfully dominated Kamala Harris on the debate stage in 2020.”
Mr. Trump likes to say he doesn’t need to prepare for debates, and his team is under instructions to use the term “policy time” to describe their sessions. But Mr. Trump has spent more time this year practicing for debates than he did in either 2016 or 2020, according to advisers who have worked with him. His first debate against Mr. Biden in 2020 was disastrous for Mr. Trump, who came off as overbearing.
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

He still doesn’t do traditional debate prep. Nobody played Mr. Biden in his sessions ahead of their CNN debate on June 27. Instead, he sat with advisers for blocks of time or informally on plane trips and discussed potential topics and lines of questioning. In more formal sessions at Mar-a-Lago, aides have sat in chairs opposite him, playing the role of moderators. Representative Matt Gaetz of Florida asked especially combative questions, according to a person who was in the room. Other lawmakers, including his eventual running mate, Senator JD Vance of Ohio, have also spent time with Mr. Trump on policy topics.
Mr. Biden’s halting and disjointed performance in his June debate with Mr. Trump ultimately led him to drop out of the race. Mr. Trump’s aides are expected to handle preparations similarly for his debate with Ms. Harris, scheduled for Sept. 10.
Ms. Gabbard brings some key qualities to the role for Mr. Trump: She’s a woman, at a moment when Mr. Trump is for a second time facing a woman as his general election rival; she’s a former House member, giving her policy experience; and, perhaps most importantly for Mr. Trump, she has been on a debate stage with Ms. Harris and delivered a stinging attack against her record as a prosecutor.
Ms. Gabbard’s attacks in that July 2019 debate, however, all came from the left.
Ms. Gabbard said during that debate that Ms. Harris, when she was a district attorney in San Francisco, “put over 1,500 people in jail for marijuana violations and then laughed about it when she was asked if she ever smoked marijuana.”
She also accused Ms. Harris of having obstructed evidence that could have let an innocent man leave death row, doing so only when a court “forced her to.”

Ms. Harris replied that she was “proud of making a decision to not just give fancy speeches, or be in a legislative body and give speeches on the floor, but actually doing the work.” After the debate, Ms. Harris mocked Ms. Gabbard’s low standing in the polls. Ms. Harris dropped out of that race in December 2019, and Ms. Gabbard did so months later, in March 2020.

Or....is this an interview with TG in the event they need to get rid of Vance???

3009477.gif

She smoked Kamala in the Primary debate. I guess it would be a good choice to sharpen the skills.

I think it’s a psychological ploy to unnerve KH since she got blindsided by TG in 2020.
Not sure it’ll work. You could tie DJT up, hypnotize him and he’d still wander all over the place.
Yeah - Tulsi had a good moment against Kamala, who didn’t do a good job in that campaign in general.

Even if Trump listens to Tulsi, does anyone think he’d have the discipline to deliver that attack in a similar fashion?

I have a strong sense Trumps going to feel overconfident after the first debate - where imo he looked good mostly in comparison to how bad Biden was.

Yeah - Tulsi had a good moment against Kamala, who didn’t do a good job in that campaign in general.

Even if Trump listens to Tulsi, does anyone think he’d have the discipline to deliver that attack in a similar fashion?

I have a strong sense Trumps going to feel overconfident after the first debate - where imo he looked good mostly in comparison to how bad Biden was.
Kamala ran a much better Primary campaign this time.

Sigh. No kidding.

This past month however has been much better than anything she did on the primary campaign trail back then.
I was hoping for more from the Dems this time around. A few good weeks doesn't make up for a very long bad career. I want to see how she does under pressure of debates and press conferences before I decide.

My strategy for Trump is to bring in a voice coach to teach him to sound more like Sean Connery. That's who his slur reminded me of during the Musk interview, but you need the accent to pull it off - otherwise you sound old or tipsy or both.

She's got a gig waiting at Fox as soon as they fire Ingraham or when the next sexual harassment suit is made against one of their male talking heads.

I agree this might be more of an attempt to intimidate Harris, but she's a much, much better candidate than she was in 2020.
Remember when trump brought in bill’s mistresses to the one debate back in ‘16?

Trump has always been a meandering idiot in debates. Unless the voting public changed enough, not sure why it'll matter anymore than any of his other debates
I’ll be curious what trumps debate strategy (such as it is) will be.

Back in June; I was surprised that he was mostly able to content himself with spouting his usual nonsense, but appeared more disciplined and let Biden stumble over himself. I am curious how much turning the mics off actually helped him in that respect.

Reactions: praguehawk
Don’t even pretend you haven’t already decided.
What? Because I don't like the Dem candidate, I'm somehow a Trumper? I don't like either candidates, I want to vote third party or maybe sit out on this one. That's how I'm voting.

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u
What? Because I don't like the Dem candidate, I'm somehow a Trumper? I don't like either candidates, I want to vote third party or maybe sit out on this one. That's how I'm voting.
Didn’t say who I thought you were voting for. I was responding to you saying you hadn’t decided. At least in regards to Harris, I think you’ve already made that decision.

I understand the lack of enthusiasm without more proof. But that in no way changes the fact that she's running against Trump.
Anybody but Trump, right?....

Right now I'm anybody that isn't Dem or Rep. I'm sick of both parties and even more sick of people who dribble their BS nonstop everywhere I go. It's either Dems this or Dems that, Reps this or Reps that. Both parties have been in charge for 200 years and haven't fixed much of anything other than ending slavery and the Blue party fought against that. All I've got to show for their work is higher taxes, higher pricing of everything and wages of stagnant wage increases. In the mean time they've made themselves rich and answer to oligarchs who really control this country.

Reactions: Scruddy
Anybody but Trump, right?....

Right now I'm anybody that isn't Dem or Rep. I'm sick of both parties and even more sick of people who dribble their BS nonstop everywhere I go. It's either Dems this or Dems that, Reps this or Reps that. Both parties have been in charge for 200 years and haven't fixed much of anything other than ending slavery and the Blue party fought against that. All I've got to show for their work is higher taxes, higher pricing of everything and wages of stagnant wage increases. In the mean time they've made themselves rich and answer to oligarchs who really control this country.
Noble sentiment, but wasted in the end.

Noble sentiment, but wasted in the end.
It's only waisted time because everyone is brainwashed by their party. Until everyone realizes that the parties don't give a shit about them, and only want to maintain power by lying to get the vote.

Typical Trump choice. Someone who will tell him he's wonderful and the smartest person in the room, and maybe he gets a piece.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT