ADVERTISEMENT

Turns out, marriage makes you happier . . . like, a LOT happier!

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
Interesting study results:

Take a Wife … Please!​

Why are married people happier than the rest of us?
By Olga Khazan
AUGUST 31, 2023

In the year 2000, having narrowly escaped the Y2K computer glitch, Americans should have been poised to party. The bendy riff of the Santana–Rob Thomas joint “Smooth” wailed from Top 40 stations everywhere. Survivor beckoned us to watch people eat grubs for a chance at $1 million. Brad and Jen got married, and the gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridius asked acerbically, “Are you not entertained?”

But we weren’t. In fact, after chugging along steadily for decades, American happiness began to decline that year, modestly but definitively. A chart of American happiness ratings looks like this: a flat, basically happy line that starts in the 1970s, followed by a plunge into meh right around the new millennium.

original.png

The chart comes from a recent paper by Sam Peltzman, an emeritus economics professor at the University of Chicago. For the study, which has not yet been peer-reviewed, Peltzman looked at the General Social Survey, which since 1972 has asked thousands of Americans, “Taken all together, how would you say things are these days—would you say that you are very happy, pretty happy, or not too happy?” If you imagine this large sample as 100 people, historically about 50 of those people say they’re “pretty happy,” and that’s still true. But in the 1970s, about 35 people would say they’re “very happy,” and 15 would say “not too happy.” That began to shift around 2000, and now about 32 people say they’re “very happy” and 18 say they’re “not too happy.”

To quote a Destiny’s Child song of that vintage, why the sudden change?

After slicing the demographic data every which way—income, education level, race, location, age, and gender—Peltzman found that this happiness dip is mainly attributable to one thing: Married people are happier, and Americans aren’t getting married as much. In 1980, 6 percent of 40-year-olds had never been married, but today, it’s 25 percent. “The recent decline in the married share of adults can explain (statistically) most of the recent decline in overall happiness,” he writes.

Married people are much happier than the unmarried, according to these data. Looking at those same 100 people, 40 married people will say they’re happy, and 10 will say they’re not happy. But single people are about evenly split between happy and not happy. It doesn’t really matter if you are divorced, are widowed, or have never married: If you’re not married, you’re less likely to be happy. “The only happy people for 50 years have been married people,” Peltzman told me.

One paper alone might be easy enough to dismiss, but this is a fairly consistent finding dating back decades in social-science research: Married people are happier. Period.

To be honest, this puzzles me, because after 13 years of cohabitation, I’m currently trying to get married, and it’s not making me very happy at all. I say “trying” because this event, which should be entirely within my partner’s and my control, instead relies on a sprawling, expensive bureaucracy that doesn’t always reply to my emails.

Marriage, in theory, doesn’t have to cost much; a license usually runs less than $100. In practice, though, the costs can be considerable. The average wedding now costs $30,000, according to a survey from The Knot. Prenups are becoming more popular; a Harris poll recently reported that 15 percent of Americans have signed one. And that leaves aside the psychic toll of checking in with, following up on, and coordinating all the marriage-adjacent entities that inevitably get sucked into the process.

Getting married, especially at an advanced age, is difficult and expensive even if, like my boyfriend and me, you’re not planning an actual wedding. As of this writing, we’re waiting on my prenup lawyer to get back to me, so that I can wade through a bunch of paragraphs that start with “Notwithstanding the forgoing” and identify any changes I’d like to make, so that my boyfriend’s prenup lawyer can then reconcile those changes and we can get the thing notarized. This will cost us at least $1,200 each, on top of the $600 we already spent drafting the prenup. (I didn’t think I needed a prenup, either, until I had a physical therapist who alternately kneaded my spine and regaled me with the story of her traumatic divorce that almost bankrupted her.) I’m not sure which is more magical: this, or picking out a health-insurance plan.

Even beyond the preparation stages, marriage has a reputation for sapping joy and freedom. Bachelorette parties are proclaimed to be the “last fling before the ring,” as though in matrimony you won’t be flinging much but emergency paper towels across the kitchen. The single life is freewheeling, fun, and fabulous; marriage is “settling down”—down to earth, to baseline, to not-too-happiness. How could something so boring and restrictive make people so happy?

Peltzman didn’t explore why married people are happier, but other researchers have, and they fall into two competing camps. Camp No. 1, that of cynical libertines like me, believes that marriage doesn’t make you happy; rather, happy people get married. One 15-year study of more than 24,000 Germans, for instance, found that those who got married and stayed married were happier than the unmarried ones to begin with, and any happiness boost they got from the marriage was short-lived. “Most of the research indicates that the happiest couples marry, not that marriage causes happiness,” Brienna Perelli-Harris, a demography professor at the University of Southampton, in the United Kingdom, told me over email. According to this theory, Americans stopped being as happy, and they stopped getting married, and either the two trends don’t have much to do with each other, or glum people aren’t in the mood for wedding planning.

The first camp’s argument makes sense if you think about the kind of person who gets married: This person has a sufficiently winning personality to run the gantlet of online dating. They are desirable enough to get their Hinge match to propose to them. They are optimistic enough to promise to love their Hinge match forever, forsaking all other Hinge matches. This person is, in other words, already pretty happy.

When people aren’t happy in marriage, they tend to divorce, which plunks them into the unhappy single pool and makes the married pool look happier by comparison. “We have very high expectations of marriage. So that tends to mean that people don’t get married unless they have a strong, close, and supportive relationship,” says Stephanie Coontz, the director of research and public education at the Council on Contemporary Families. “You’re not going to get married and then find that you are much more happy.” As the classic Adam Sandler sketch goes, you’re still going to be you on vacation. You’re still going to be you when you’re married. If you’re sad now, marriage probably won’t change that.

In Camp No. 2 are the romantics, who believe that getting married makes you happy, because there’s something special about marriage. In a research brief for the conservative Institute for Family Studies, the research fellow Lyman Stone crunched the GSS data again and found that getting married does boost happiness, for at least two years after the wedding, and it does so even when you control for the person’s previous level of happiness.

The logic of this camp goes as follows: Close, supportive, long-term relationships make you happy. Finding those types of relationships through friendships is possible, but it’s hard. People move away; they get busy. Most friends don’t buy houses or raise children jointly—the kinds of activities that glue people together and force them to cooperate. Marriage, says Andrew Cherlin, an emeritus sociology professor at Johns Hopkins University, is “the usual way to find a durable, caring relationship that undoubtedly makes you happier than you would be if you didn’t have it.”

Perhaps the strongest evidence for this camp’s thinking comes from a 2017 study of thousands of British people that found that those who got married were more satisfied with their life than those who didn’t, even when you control for how satisfied they were before they got married. It also found that the married Brits were more satisfied years later (meaning the happiness boost wasn’t fleeting), and that marriage inoculated the couples somewhat from the midlife dip in happiness that most people experience. The people who felt the biggest happiness boost from marriage, that study found, were those who said their spouse was their “best friend.” Those people got almost twice as much satisfaction from marriage as other people did.

A spouse, then, is like a super-friend. Ideally, they’re “committed to spend their entire life helping you in everything that matters to you,” Stone says. A good spouse will buffer you from the stress of your job, your kids, your family of origin. They’ll give you emotional, and sometimes financial, support, allowing you to “feel and think with double strength,” as George Eliot put it. Because you live in the same house, your spouse is always there. (Boy, are they always there!) It can be exasperating—until the day comes when you really need a friend.

The question remains, though: Why get married? As a cohabitant, I feel I reap all the benefits of marriage without spending even a minute crying over caterers. In countries where unmarried cohabitation is widespread, relatively accepted, and stable, the arrangement can have similar benefits as marriage. One study of Germans, for instance, found that cohabitation leads to a happiness boost about two-thirds as big as that of marriage. (The study doesn’t explain the slight gap between married people and cohabitants, but it could be that some cohabitants aren’t quite happy enough with their partner to pull the trigger on marriage.) In these cultures, cohabiting partners act like pseudo-spouses, and they support each other in much the same way. “It’s the sharing of the stuff,” says John Helliwell, an emeritus economics professor at the University of British Columbia and a co-author of the 2017 British study. “And the legal thing is probably the least important part of it.”

But in the United States, people don’t tend to cohabit for years and years (present company excluded). They just get married. “I’ve been waiting for Americans to have long-term cohabiting relationships like the Europeans do for decades now, and it hasn’t happened yet,” Cherlin says. Happy cohabiting couples don’t show up in the data because there just aren’t that many of us.

For me, getting married is more optical than emotional. I’m tired of being a woman pushing 40 who has a “boyfriend.” People keep asking me if I’m against marriage, and I have to sheepishly reply that it’s more that I’m against spending thousands of dollars on a piece of paper. But my partner has been by my side for 13 years. He’s the first person I call with good or bad news. He doesn’t like to be mean, but he will hate on my enemies with me when he can tell that I really want him to. I have a lot going on in life, and I want to plant a firm stake in shifting soil. He’s already my super-friend; now I just want to make it official.

I never would have gotten in this kind of shape if I was still married. I would be a big fatty.

I love the suffering on a bicycle.

Based on your posting history, you have never been nor will ever be, "happy."

What you were taught about happiness isn't true

"The people who felt the most fulfilled were the ones who had learned to let go of the need to feel happy all the time and had not only accepted the ups and downs that come with being alive but had also come to appreciate them. This mindset and behavioral shift helped them lean into uncertainty, embrace emotions (both positive and negative), and adapt to their environment with intention and meaning."

Been married for 13 and a half years. I can assure you that I am happier now than I ever was before I got married.

That is 100% due to my marriage and the children it has produced.

A person who had a choice chose me and that person who has a choice and still has a choice accepts me for who I am, even the parts of me that I don't share with anyone else.

Weddings don't have to be expensive, we did ours for $10k and that's because that's what her dad gave us to do the wedding with. Before he said he was giving us the money I was planning on how I could keep the wedding under $4k.

I fail to understand why someone who's been with their partner for 13 years would feel the need for a pre-nup. I'm not totally against pre-nups but I would suggest them mostly for people who are marrying who have a vast difference in wealth. If you are wealthy and marrying someone relatively poor, you should want to protect yourself from that person staying with you for a few years than taking half your stuff.

I asked my wife to marry me around 8 months after I met her in person married her about a year after I asked with no pre-nup.

It's a sad thing for so many people that we've chosen serial monogamy over marriage.

And for the record I do find it odd and almost childish seeming to hear anyone over the age of 30 talk about a boyfriend or a girlfriend. Shoot I was 27 when I got married and for the 8 months we were together before I asked her to marry me, it felt very childish to refer to her as my girlfriend.

Then why is divorce so prevalent?

There are difficulties with marriage and too many people call it quits at the first sign of difficulty. The grass can always seem greener on the other side. It's a line of thinking that comes with our modern age.

On top of that once the pattern is learned that once things get tough, you don't particularly like that person for a while that you quit and get divorced, that pattern just repeats itself. Children of parents who stayed married are more likely to stay married. . . children of divorced parents more likely to divorce.

Don't get me wrong there are people out there who are just impossible to be married to for whatever reason. But that isn't the main problem.

My wife and I had a time in our marriage for a few years where we just were not close, didn't like to be around one another as much. No abuse or heavy toxicity or anything like that, just resentments, uncommunicated expectations, things like that. And I think the main reason neither of us pulled the trigger on divorce was that we would have both been embarrassed to do it. I would be embarrassed and ashamed to divorce my wife for anything less than her cheating, committing a felony, or engaging in heavy addictions that endanger the family.

Marriage provides life-long companionship for those who
are genuinely committed to their relationship. I have been
blessed with a wonderful wife who makes life enjoyable.
Our daughter is a real bonus and we have a great relationship
with her husband and our two grandchildren.

Bottom Line: Marriage can be successful when the husband
and wife make a commitment to each other to make it work.

If you wanna be happy
For the rest of your life,
Never make a pretty woman your wife,
So from my personal point of view,
Get an ugly girl to marry you.

If you wanna be happy

A pretty woman makes her husband look small
And very often causes his downfall.
As soon as he marries her
Then she starts to do
The things that will break his heart.
But if you make an ugly woman your wife,
You'll be happy for the rest of your life,
An ugly woman cooks her meals on time,
She'll always give you peace of mind.

If you wanna be happy

Don't let your friends say
You have no taste,
Go ahead and marry anyway,
Though her face is ugly,
Her eyes don't match,
Take it from me she's a better catch.

If you wanna be happy

Say man.
Hey baby.
Saw your wife the other day.
Yeah?
Yeah, she's ugly.
Yeah, she's ugly but she sure can cook.
Yeah?. Okay.

If you wanna be happy

If you wanna be happy

If you wanna be happy

If you wanna be happy

It’s weird. I’m happily married. Don’t plan any changes and will probably be put in the ground still married.

However, if something were to happen to my no pics, I’d never get married again and it’s not because I want to honor her memory or something like that. I just don’t want to get that “into it” with someone again. I’m 99.99999% sure I’d hold to this.

data can be generated to prove anything. aren't the swedes and norvagins and finns supposed to be stupendouly happy when they rarely if ever marry...

Reactions: mattymoknows
It’s weird. I’m happily married. Don’t plan any changes and will probably be put in the ground still married.

However, if something were to happen to my no pics, I’d never get married again and it’s not because I want to honor her memory or something like that. I just don’t want to get that “into it” with someone again. I’m 99.99999% sure I’d hold to this.
I wouldn’t have the energy or desire to learn someone else’s life story, or then mine. To get to know all their friends, family and probably kids…sounds exhausting.

I’d probably just rent on occasion.

It would probably take me 3 to 5 years but at my age I'd be willing to try again.

Part if it is that I don't want to bring in a step mom while the children are still small. If they are teenagers or close to it than a step mom abusing a teen boy seems unlikely.

The other part of it is it would take me at least that long before I think I would be emotionally recovered enough to try.

But I will say the whole thing seems daunting and like a lot of hard work. A really underrated aspect to marriage quite frankly is that I don't have to try to meet women or try to impress women. I have one woman at home and that's all I care about and have to worry about. The whole thing about trying to get a woman to like me just seems so exhausting, tedious, etc etc.

The work is worth it for someone to spend the rest of your life with but it's also work that I'm glad to be done with and hope that I'm done with it for good.

Also quite frankly I'm not sure I can do better overall in terms of someone who makes me happy.

Reactions: BrianNole777

Exactly this. I told my wife (almost 30 years) that if something ever happened, I would never remarry. She said "Oh why, because it's so bad you wouldn't want to do it again?" I said of course not, I just have no interest in dating and all that ever again. She thinks that would change, I really do not. And we have been very happy and get along very well and she is a great mom and partner.

Marriage makes people happy IF it's a good marriage.

Lots of marriages are unhappy and/or end in divorce, sadly.

My estimate is 70% of marriages are either unhappy or end in divorce.

For a Roman Catholic you are pretty negative about marriage.

I think 70% is too high. They say that about half of all marriages end in divorce but if you take out the people re-marrying after divorce it lowers it slightly to I believe the low 40's. So good news is, most first marriages the people stay together for life. It's the serial divorcers that bring the numbers up.

Secondly you have to remember that there is very little public shame now to divorce, so I would argue that few people are staying together even if they are unhappy.

Also I would point out as someone who's been married for 13 years, there are times in marriage when people do get unhappy about it. The idea that an "unhappy marriage" is permanently an unhappy marriage is false. Quite frankly that view is part of the reason that I think we see too many divorces, because far too many people think that they will be unhappy for life.

For a Roman Catholic you are pretty negative about marriage.

I think 70% is too high. They say that about half of all marriages end in divorce but if you take out the people re-marrying after divorce it lowers it slightly to I believe the low 40's. So good news is, most first marriages the people stay together for life. It's the serial divorcers that bring the numbers up.

Secondly you have to remember that there is very little public shame now to divorce, so I would argue that few people are staying together even if they are unhappy.

Also I would point out as someone who's been married for 13 years, there are times in marriage when people do get unhappy about it. The idea that an "unhappy marriage" is permanently an unhappy marriage is false. Quite frankly that view is part of the reason that I think we see too many divorces, because far too many people think that they will be unhappy for life.

Saint Paul was pretty negative on marriage, too. :)

Christian marriages are probably much better off than atheist ones, though.

Exactly this. I told my wife (almost 30 years) that if something ever happened, I would never remarry. She said "Oh why, because it's so bad you wouldn't want to do it again?" I said of course not, I just have no interest in dating and all that ever again. She thinks that would change, I really do not. And we have been very happy and get along very well and she is a great mom and partner.

I think it depends on age. You've been married 30 years so you are probably approaching or at retirement.

I probably would try again even though I don't want to go through all that shit again, but it might be worth it. But I'm 41. I think my calculation would be different if I was over 60.

Reactions: EasyHawk
I bet the author's wife was watching him write this over his shoulder

The author is a woman who's permanently cohabitating with her smizmar.

I still think Smizmar should come into use in the English language to refer to a person's long term partner that for some reason they don't marry.

The clock on the "boyfriend/girlfriend" dynamic should be 5 years MAX for adults who got together after the age of 20. Ten years max if they first got together younger than 20.

• Wow
Being happy is finding a relationship a situation in which both mates live in mutual agreement. If either is insistent on an alpha role the other will be unhappy whether they indicate it or not.

Responsibilities for matters can be relegated without surrendering authority, ownership and input.

20 years and counting for me. We’ve had many “happy” times and just as many “unhappy” times. It’s hard to know how happy my life would have been as a bachelor.

If you wanna be happy

If you wanna be happy

A pretty woman makes her husband look small
And very often causes his downfall.
As soon as he marries her
Then she starts to do
The things that will break his heart.
But if you make an ugly woman your wife,
You'll be happy for the rest of your life,
An ugly woman cooks her meals on time,
She'll always give you peace of mind.

If you wanna be happy

Don't let your friends say
You have no taste,
Go ahead and marry anyway,
Though her face is ugly,
Her eyes don't match,
Take it from me she's a better catch.

If you wanna be happy

Say man.
Hey baby.
Saw your wife the other day.
Yeah?
Yeah, she's ugly.
Yeah, she's ugly but she sure can cook.
Yeah?. Okay.

If you wanna be happy

If you wanna be happy

If you wanna be happy

If you wanna be happy

I liked the song, but I have a lovely wife I'll gladly spend my remaining days with. Uh, no pics.

Reactions: torbee
I can’t imagine ever wanting to marry again should 3boysdad kick it or lose his mind and trade down. I like having my own space and wouldn’t want to lose that. I’d hang out on my mountain and occasionally entertain 😉.
That is my thought exactly. I'm married to the person I was meant to marry. I would just temporarily house the disadvantaged 20'somethings from time to time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT