ADVERTISEMENT

Tweeting at recruits, commits and current Hawkeyes. The Ethical Guide.

LVCabChronicles

Scout Team
Feb 16, 2015
What's your take on this stuff? Admittedly I've done it a few times. I've tweeted at Lee a couple times while still a recruit and a couple more times since then. Mostly just to say congrats or to talk up Iowa. I've tweeted at a few of the guys a couple times. CC and Kem dawg. I feel like all this is fair game, providing you're not a moron. While I trust myself to not be a moron surely some people have shone Iowa in a poor light by saying the wrong thing to the wrong person. And clearly speaking to recruits is a delicate thing to be a sure. But I also think it's good to let them know that people are interested. It's good to feel wanted. And it's clear the kids are interested in these platforms.

I also have thought for a while that perhaps it's time for KF to reevaluate the social media ban. It's not that far fetched to assume that some recruits might not choose Iowa knowing they can't have a social media presence. To that end, I think the Brands' have done well to embrace this stuff, both personally and letting the guys do it. But re KF, I'm not saying there aren't benefits to making players have radio silence. I suppose that's rooted in not wanting any players to defame the university, or themselves. But that's part of life these days. Everyone needs to learn how to conduct themselves online. Don't forget this is an educational institution and there's no better place for these players to learn how to navigate this medium successfully than under the most discipline they're ever be subjected to; being a member of a college football team.

I'd be curious to know what your guy's take is on this stuff.

Reactions: WDuck5217
Some of the ol timers I think hate it, I think it’s ok if you are smart about it. I’ve done a few congrats and I tweeted at Kennedy when he wasn’t on flos p4p.(think I said, ‘they will be able to see you in Carver) he liked it and that worked pretty well. Ha

Whenever I think about people tweeting to a recruit, I think of all the hard work and hours, home visits and dedication our Great Coaches have put in to recruit these young men and make them Hawkeyes, and I think about how it can all be ruined in seconds by one condescending tweet from a "Bad Apple" fan. In my opinion I don't think fans should be tweeting recruits. Our Coaches can do just fine on their own..... But that's just my own personal opinion...

For all that say no, why?
As a grown man would you send messages to high school female wrestling recruits?My answer is no, and for that reason I say no to the high school male wrestlers recruits also. After they commit or sign I think a congrats on an accomplishment is completely reasonable.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
Sure, anyone that has taken that position feel free to explain why as well.

The U of I has made it very clear that it doesn't want fans to interact with recruits on social media. The reasons are clear and obvious--leave the recruiting to coaches. Don't be part of the story, just follow it. So, how does one defend violating this request?

For all that say no, why?

Whenever I think about people tweeting to a recruit, I think of all the hard work and hours, home visits and dedication our Great Coaches have put in to recruit these young men and make them Hawkeyes, and I think about how it can all be ruined in seconds by one condescending tweet from a "Bad Apple" fan. In my opinion I don't think fans should be tweeting recruits. Our Coaches can do just fine on their own..... But that's just my own personal opinion...

I also have thought for a while that perhaps it's time for KF to reevaluate the social media ban.
But re KF, I'm not saying there aren't benefits to making players have radio silence. I suppose that's rooted in not wanting any players to defame the university, or themselves. But that's part of life these days. Everyone needs to learn how to conduct themselves online. Don't forget this is an educational institution and there's no better place for these players to learn how to navigate this medium successfully than under the most discipline they're ever be subjected to; being a member of a college football team.

I'd be curious to know what your guy's take is on this stuff.

Funny, Tiki & Tierney had this conversation about social media on air today in regards to pro leagues. Tierney asked when and how will professional teams start to police it. Wouldn't it have to be collectively bargained?

Tiki turned to college because teams can police it there. He actually brought up Clemson and that Dabo bans social media at minimum in-season. Dabo does it to avoid distractions noting how much young people's emotions are affected over SM interaction.

I have teenagers. I get that. Iowa FB is run more like a professional environment than most every other college. The amount of discipline required to be successful as a D-1 athlete is ridiculous. I think the ban functions in part as a simple screening filter.

It's a tangible visible sacrifice you have to make. My high schooler signed up for a week long mission trip. Later found out he'd have to give up his phone for a week. Seriously wanted to back out. That's the mindset. He ended up having a great experience.

If a kid gets cold feet about going without twitter while being at Iowa - probably other requirements of the program will chap them as well.

The guide is short and simple. Don't tweet or contact recruits. The end.

Disagree and always have with you on this. Stupid headed as some Waterloo natives like to say.

I talk to them as much as possible when they accomplish something. I got Lee and Kennedy I’m pretty sure. We’re wasting money on Morningstar as long as I can remember my Twitter password. Chief brings them in to.

Last edited:
Some of the ol timers I think hate it, I think it’s ok if you are smart about it. I’ve done a few congrats and I tweeted at Kennedy when he wasn’t on flos p4p.(think I said, ‘they will be able to see you in Carver) he liked it and that worked pretty well. Ha
Yeah, I'm an old timer, and I hate it. Leave the recruits alone. Period.
If you do, and you make nuisance of yourself, you should be banned from attending all Hawkeye sports events for a long time.
Leave the recruit contact to the coaches. Save your cheers for the meets. I guarantee that you have nothing better to add than do TnT or M*. After the recruits commit, then please be kind and thoughtful when you reach out to them.

Last edited:
I don't do Twitter, but if I did I certainly would never try to sway a recruit one way or the other. I could see sending a Congratulatory tweet once the ink is dry on the NLI, but even then not sure I'd bother.

I have enough patience to let it play out and let the chips fall where they may I guess. I've given a couple of "welcome aboard" posts on this site after someone commits, but that's the beginning and end of it.

Even then if the NLI isn't signed, ya never know. Plenty of evidence of that in all sports and for every school.

I think I'm gonna create a tweet account with some HappyValleyName - and just bombard Carl's recruits with "Congrats for sitting on the pine for 5 seasons without schollie money - hope the free money from the camps is worth it" - or "Why bother - None of them ever make world teams"

I absolutely bleed hawkeye colors. I can't imagine a time when I will ever be personally involved in the life of high school kids I don't know and have never met.
I have, however, had contact with a recruit, back in 2007. Former Florida Gator and New England Patriot , Jeff Demps ,worked for me over Thanksgiving break. I remember telling him he needed to check out Iowa and he just laughed at me. We all know how that turned out. I then challenged him to a race and he politely turned me down. He was a really nice kid, but I can't say I agree with his choice of schools. LOL

I absolutely bleed hawkeye colors. I can't imagine a time when I will ever be personally involved in the life of high school kids I don't know and have never met.
I have, however, had contact with a recruit, back in 2007. Former Florida Gator and New England Patriot , Jeff Demps ,worked for me over Thanksgiving break. I remember telling him he needed to check out Iowa and he just laughed at me. We all know how that turned out. I then challenged him to a race and he politely turned me down. He was a really nice kid, but I can't say I agree with his choice of schools. LOL

Yeah, a twitter post congratulating a top high school American wrestler doing great things internationally or winning state titles is getting involved in their life. I’m sure they notice when you’re one of hundreds that comment. Weird ****ers. Stop the madness.

Is someone worried about recruiting violations? Dumb as hell.

Read some football and basketball recruits’ interviews. They love the love and attention they receive from schools on visits and social media. Welcome to the new world.

I know a state and national champion that looks for replies from fans and anything under 50 he’s not happy.

I believe if you in any way affiliated with the school then it is considered a recruiting violation to contact them. Boosters, season ticket holders, etc.

Reactions: JBJRFL
The U of I has made it very clear that it doesn't want fans to interact with recruits on social media. The reasons are clear and obvious--leave the recruiting to coaches. Don't be part of the story, just follow it. So, how does one defend violating this request?

I was not aware of this. Not that I doubt it, but could you direct us to where we could read that?

Assuming this is the position of the University I will certainly respect that. That probably should be the end of the conversation right there. But something to think about; getting notifications on social media is comparable to the wheels lining up on a slot machine. That random positive feedback is like crack to people. It triggers things in your brain and makes you feel good. That's not me saying that, they've done studies on this very thing. It's the mouse getting a treat when he rings the bell. University policy aside, people WANT attention. Not just prominent HS athletes but everyone. Isn't this what recruiting is all about? Social media IS the courtyard of the world. This IS how this generation talks to each other. We complain all the time about how "kids these days" never talk in person. Social media is how they converse with the world. We know this about our nature, to dismiss the whole concept of this type of interaction by only considering the downside and not weighing the positive effects and unintended consequences is misguided.

Reactions: LBlindHawk
I wondered this too. It's rhetorical but deserves an answer.

Ever been on Twitter? There are people that do this. The reason it doesn't work is that trolls are obvious.

Here's your link:

Before there was social media it also wasn't acceptable to contact recruits. Let coaches fill up their inboxes with messages.

What makes people think they need to "help" coaches do their job? What makes people think they need to be part of the story and not just follow the story? It is an interesting phenomena.

Reactions: 24 so far
Ever been on Twitter? There are people that do this. The reason it doesn't work is that trolls are obvious.

Here's your link:

Before there was social media it also wasn't acceptable to contact recruits. Let coaches fill up their inboxes with messages.

What makes people think they need to "help" coaches do their job? What makes people think they need to be part of the story and not just follow the story? It is an interesting phenomena.

The U Iowa compliance Twitter account has nearly 3x as many followers as the PSU compliance account.

Hmmmmm

;)

I wouldn’t do it because I really don’t give a crap about some high school kid. Most flame out in college anyway and I’m just not that interested in them.

But some people want to tweet at them, I see no problem.
You're an ISU fan. I think that explains most ignorant decisions on your part.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT