ADVERTISEMENT

Uber and Lyft will cease operations in Minneapolis in response to new minimum wage law, 10,000 drivers to be out of work...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Great job, dumb ass liberals....

They are marxists...MPLS is run by a marxist mob. This is what runs the city...something that considers gangs of ILLEGALS who steal fruit from food shelves and then sell it in the streets as unlicensed vendors, "entrepreneurs."

Great job, dumb ass liberals....

We've been told this type of thing wouldn't happen. We've been told that studies showed there was little impact relating employment to raising minimum wage.

Yes, let's fvcking forget this, so the liberals are bad NOT the companies stealing wages

The rideshare companies' decision to leave Minneapolis follows a significant legal settlement in November, where Uber agreed to pay $290 million and Lyft $38 million to resolve a multiyear investigation by the New York Attorney General’s office into wage theft, the largest settlement of its kind in the office’s history.

Yes, let's fvcking forget this, so the liberals are bad NOT the companies stealing wages

The rideshare companies' decision to leave Minneapolis follows a significant legal settlement in November, where Uber agreed to pay $290 million and Lyft $38 million to resolve a multiyear investigation by the New York Attorney General’s office into wage theft, the largest settlement of its kind in the office’s history.
How does a company steal wages from an independent contractor? In MPLS, it's about a mob of marxists aka the city council, dictating to companies how much they are going to be forced to pay.

You apparently don't believe there's such a thing as government extortion.

Keyword: New York.

I am someone who very much prides himself in finding multiple ways to generate income.

Question for anyone on the board:

You make a "good not great" level of income. You can pay youe bills but haven't been able to take the family on vacation in a couple years and decide to pick up Uber as some side income.

It's 1130 at night, you get a message a stranger needs a ride xx miles from downtown to their house. The trip should take you an hour between driving down to get them, dropping them off, returning home. How many dollars per hour would you require to go pick up that stranger and drive them to their home?

Reactions: tape
I am someone who very much prides himself in finding multiple ways to generate income.

You make a "good not great" level of income. You can pay youe bills but haven't been able to take the family on vacation in a couple years and decide to pick up Uber as some side income.

It's 1130 at night, you get a message a stranger needs a ride xx miles from downtown to their house. The trip should take you an hour between driving down to get them, dropping them off, returning home. How many dollars per hour would you require to go pick up that stranger and drive them to their home?

Everyone will answer that question differently depending on how badly they need to make some money.

Reactions: seminoleed

That’s for the government to decide, not an individual (sarcasm)

Part of running a profitable business is limiting your exposure in non profitable areas. I'm sure "lyft" will have no problem maintaining profitability in markets worth being in.

Said differently:

Lyft is in business to make money, they are not in business to serve communities where their workers get robbed and present an overall drag on "employees". ( I'm assuming drivers are actually 1099 and not employees"

Enough to pay OP's mom

Doesn't this open things up for a new rideshare business to operate? I guess we'll see if they can make it work
Don't bring logic into this
So, when the inner-city CVS closes down because of shoplifting and the uproar happens because of "food desserts" and such, the correct response is "Good riddance! Let a mom and pop store come in and fill that void and get robbed blind every day!" Logic indeed.

ok, whatever you say. 🤔

I'm sure that some new or existing service will fill the void, and life will go on in the twin cities

So, when the inner-city CVS closes down because of shoplifting and the uproar happens because of "food desserts" and such, the correct response is "Good riddance! Let a mom and pop store come in and fill that void and get robbed blind every day!" Logic indeed.

Dude, this is an instance of companies that got caught stealing from their workers and here they just don't want to pay their workers a decent wage... that's it

Dude, this is an instance of companies that got caught stealing from their workers and here they just don't want to pay their workers a decent wage... that's it
Ok. They’re gone now. The other poster seems to think that’s a good thing. I doubt the people who live there and those who were driving there agree with him.

Reactions: ICHerky
Ok. They’re gone now. The other poster seems to think that’s a good thing. I doubt the people who live there and those who were driving there agree with him.
and bit of a pia for visitors. back to calling yellow cab i suppose

Dude I lived there. I never had a problem getting one.
Yeah. I lived in cities with taxis too. Uber is a thousand times better/easier/cheaper. Tracking a car coming to get you while you stand inside of a lobby when it’s 10 degrees outside is underrated.

Such liberal nonsense.

"Wage Stealing" is a made-up term. The worker and the employer agreed upon a wage, or else the worker wouldn't be working. God forbid people be allowed to make their own choices without the nanny state deciding what's acceptable.

As far as a "decent" wage goes, again... you're suggesting that these drivers are forced to accept these wages and other terms and conditions. They're not. They're free to quit. But they don't! Why not? There are 10,000 in this city alone who presumably would like to continue driving, but will have to look for something else.

The real question is: would Uber and Lyft customers pay a fare that could absorb whatever a "decent" wage is?

My guess is they would not.

So the government know-it-alls are demanding Uber and Lyft make their service unaffordable. It's total and complete BS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT