ADVERTISEMENT

Uber and Lyft will cease operations in Minneapolis in response to new minimum wage law, 10,000 drivers to be out of work...

Dude, this is an instance of companies that got caught stealing from their workers and here they just don't want to pay their workers a decent wage... that's it
Well…looks like they’re all in good hands now.

Reactions: The Tradition
Yeah. I know. I lived through the cab era and Uber made getting a ride a thousand times better. You think taxis made some sort of amazing improvements in comfort and ease in the span where they almost went extinct?
I guess I just don't get the outrage.

I guess not? You come across as upset about the prospect of having to call a cab in the twin cities.
No. Someone said that they weren’t gonna miss Uber and Lyft and I scoffed at that because other than the four people on this thread, ZERO people are going to be happy about those services leaving their city…including the drivers who are the ones meant to be “helped” by this.

It’s really what liberals are best at. Telling people why they’re wrong about feeling the way they feel and how, even though their lives just got shittier, they’re really better off…somehow.

No. Someone said that they weren’t gonna miss Uber and Lyft and I scoffed at that because other than the four people on this thread, ZERO people are going to be happy about those services leaving their city…including the drivers who are the ones meant to be “helped” by this.

It’s really what liberals are best at. Telling people why they’re wrong about feeling the way they feel and how, even though their lives just got shittier, they’re really better off…somehow.
Liberals didn't make them leave though, they left on their own will. They could pay the drivers minimum wage.

Liberals didn't make them leave though, they left on their own will. They could pay the drivers minimum wage.
Liberals are the ones who over ruled the mayor and are in this thread explaining how it’s a good thing because some other company is gonna get their big shot.

And now it seems the council is having regret about their decision and wants a re-do.

Reactions: millah_22
Nothing jostles the Jimmies of board righties like Minneapolis. Well, Chicago. Or, Portland. Or, any other city that they have never visited.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Liberals are the ones who over ruled the mayor and are in this thread explaining how it’s a good thing because some other company is gonna get their big shot.

And now it seems the council is having regret about their decision and wants a re-do.

Ya, liberals overruled the mayor, but they didn't make them leave. Now Uber/Lyft is trying to twist their arms. Not sure how much I trust when companies make a statement that says "but they're already getting a fair wage."

Nothing jostles the Jimmies of board righties like Minneapolis. Well, Chicago. Or, Portland. Or, any other city that they have never visited.
liberal cities + raising min wage. That's just asking to have jimmies rustled.

In theory, a new provider model will emerge that finds balance between profitability, service and fair wages. We'll see if it happens in reality.

page1_pic2.gif

I am someone who very much prides himself in finding multiple ways to generate income.

Question for anyone on the board:

You make a "good not great" level of income. You can pay youe bills but haven't been able to take the family on vacation in a couple years and decide to pick up Uber as some side income.

It's 1130 at night, you get a message a stranger needs a ride xx miles from downtown to their house. The trip should take you an hour between driving down to get them, dropping them off, returning home. How many dollars per hour would you require to go pick up that stranger and drive them to their home?
lol. For me, that number would be a LOT. I go to bed fairly early. I would say it would need to be at least $200.

Well, this settles it, I am not going to visit Minneapolis (of course, I have never been there and will probably never will). You guys are too funny!

Well, this settles it, I am not going to visit Minneapolis (of course, I have never been there and will probably never will). You guys are too funny!
Never say never. There are actually some really cool spots that aren't on fire yet.

Such liberal nonsense.

"Wage Stealing" is a made-up term. The worker and the employer agreed upon a wage, or else the worker wouldn't be working. God forbid people be allowed to make their own choices without the nanny state deciding what's acceptable.

As far as a "decent" wage goes, again... you're suggesting that these drivers are forced to accept these wages and other terms and conditions. They're not. They're free to quit. But they don't! Why not? There are 10,000 in this city alone who presumably would like to continue driving, but will have to look for something else.

The real question is: would Uber and Lyft customers pay a fare that could absorb whatever a "decent" wage is?

My guess is they would not.

So the government know-it-alls are demanding Uber and Lyft make their service unaffordable. It's total and complete BS.

You voted for Trump... sorry if I don't trust your logic

• Haha
Reactions: funksouljon
I get a kick out of the people who still mask. It's definitely a political fashion statement now more than anything. And that's all it ever was, it's just that a few years ago it was forced down everyone's throat.

I get a kick out of the people who still mask. It's definitely a political fashion statement now more than anything. And that's all it ever was, it's just that a few years ago it was forced down everyone's throat.

How does affect you life at all? Oh, it doesn't.

Please dear baby Jesus...

I don’t understand the math in the new law. I just looked at the cost of an Uber to the airport where I am right now and if the law applied the cost would be at least 50% more if everything went to the driver. Add in Uber’s profit margin and I’d be paying double what I’m paying now.

No wonder they left.

Reactions: Finance85
Such liberal nonsense.

"Wage Stealing" is a made-up term. The worker and the employer agreed upon a wage, or else the worker wouldn't be working. God forbid people be allowed to make their own choices without the nanny state deciding what's acceptable.

As far as a "decent" wage goes, again... you're suggesting that these drivers are forced to accept these wages and other terms and conditions. They're not. They're free to quit. But they don't! Why not? There are 10,000 in this city alone who presumably would like to continue driving, but will have to look for something else.

The real question is: would Uber and Lyft customers pay a fare that could absorb whatever a "decent" wage is?

My guess is they would not.

So the government know-it-alls are demanding Uber and Lyft make their service unaffordable. It's total and complete BS.
These lib jobs belong to a line of thinking where there's no personal accountability. Any short coming in their lives is the fault of someone else or the fault of a "system". That's where they come up with these terms like, "wage stealing".

What a sad world and mindset to live in.

How does affect you life at all? Oh, it doesn't.

Please dear baby Jesus...
I'll give you a typical lib job explanation for how it effects me. It effects me because it gives me visions of punching them in the face. And I shouldn't have to have visions of violence like that while shopping in my local coop grocery store or if I'm around a pack of young LGBTQers.

Those masks.... they are inciting violence.

I don’t understand the math in the new law. I just looked at the cost of an Uber to the airport where I am right now and if the law applied the cost would be at least 50% more if everything went to the driver. Add in Uber’s profit margin and I’d be paying double what I’m paying now.

No wonder they left.

Now consider my question previously presented.

You driving to down town MPLS to have a stranger in your vehicle for 20 minutes, for a total of an hours worth of work, at 11pm, for any less than 100 bucks an hour? Cuz I wouldn't.

You driving to down town MPLS to have a stranger in your vehicle for 20 minutes, for a total of an hours worth of work, at 11pm, for any less than 100 bucks an hour? Cuz I wouldn't.
Many of these Uber/Lyft drivers have come from countries that make downtown Minneapolis look like paradise.

I don’t understand the point.
Everybody has a price and everybody can decide.

I'll give you a typical lib job explanation for how it effects me. It effects me because it gives me visions of punching them in the face. And I shouldn't have to have visions of violence like that while shopping in my local coop grocery store or if I'm around a pack of young LGBTQers.

Those masks.... they are inciting violence.
You doing okay?

What I'm going for is in order to make it actually work from the employee standpoint there is no way in hell it would be affordable for the consumer.
Ah, gotcha. I do think there are drivers who will work for peanuts, but I don’t have an issue with that.

I agree it seems there’s a much greater likelihood it becomes unaffordable for riders. More drunk driving, less business downtown, etc .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT