ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA/USC to B1G?!?!?!

The next logical step is to go to 20 teams. Notre Dame being #1, don't forget their LONG history with USC. The other 3 being from among Washington, Oregon, Stanford, and Cal. I think Washington (Seattle and research) and Oregon (Nike) are sure bets and a coin flip between Cal and Stanford.

Why Notre Dame? You think Notre Dame is going to sit around and not be playing at the top level of CFB that is the BIG/SEC?

Reactions: dekhawk
The SEC isn’t going to just sit and watch. They have to have FSU, Clemson and Miami in sight.
That's fair ... but if UCLA and USC are in the B1G ... that gives leverage to the possibility of bringing in Oregon. Closer Nike connections to the B1G ... that would complement the Under Armour connection to Maryland.

Reactions: bowlhawk
Would be nice to grab VA and UNC, plus ND and either Colorado or one of the AZ schools for 24. 4 divisions of 6 based on proximity.
If we assume the four I mentioned join, then I'd prefer the +4 to 24 be...

North Carolina​
Virginia​
Florida State​
Colorado​
*fock ND ...they had their chance, plus they would probably make even more $$ by remaining as the last IND holdout. On top of that, they already have immunity for some reason and would somehow get a seat at the playoff table.
Your 6 team divisions would then be:

WEST
California​
Oregon​
Stanford​
UCLA​
USC​
Washington​

PLAINS
Colorado​
Illinois​
Iowa​
Nebraska​
Minnesota​
Wisconsin​

CENTRAL
Indiana​
Michigan​
Michigan St​
Northwestern​
Ohio State​
Purdue​

EAST
Florida St​
Maryland​
North Carolina​
Penn State​
Rutgers​
Virginia​

If we assume the four I mentioned join, then I'd prefer the +4 to 24 be...

North Carolina​
Virginia​
Florida State​
Colorado​
*fock ND ...they had their chance, plus they would probably make even more $$ by remaining as the last IND holdout. On top of that, they already have immunity for some reason and would somehow get a seat at the playoff table.
Your 6 team divisions would then be:

WEST
California​
Oregon​
Stanford​
UCLA​
USC​
Washington​

PLAINS
Colorado​
Illinois​
Iowa​
Nebraska​
Minnesota​
Wisconsin​

CENTRAL
Indiana​
Michigan​
Michigan St​
Northwestern​
Ohio State​
Purdue​

EAST
Florida St​
Maryland​
North Carolina​
Penn State​
Rutgers​
Virginia​
All 4 of the ones you mentioned. GAWD NO!

Reactions: HawkeyeFever62
Probably not great (if talking about football).

Wins off top of my head.
Holday Bowl in 2019, also a couple of Holiday Bowls in the 1980s.
Freedom Bowl in 1984
Two Rose Bowls in 1950s

Ties
Holiday Bowl (1991?) against BYU

Losses
Road loss at ASU
Multiple losses at Arizona
Rose Bowls (1982, 86, 91, 2016)

I'm sure there are many others I am not remembering.
FROM THE MID 1940S THROUGH THE EARLY 1980S IOWA WAS 7-7 ON THE WEST COAST IN REGULAR SEASON FB GAMES.

All 4 of the ones you mentioned. GAWD NO!
I don't think you know how it works.

Outside of ND, who again, can literally go f*** themselves as far as I'm concerned, those schools would be great all around fits for the conference. They meet the criteria that the Presidents would require to sign-off on membership. Only FSU is not an AAU member, so that could be problematic.

This is straight up UNREAL!!!! And, for those say ND can go F*ck themselves. Use you brain. They were smart to have milked what they could of their brand for so long. We would have done the same if given that chance. If you want THE TOP SUPER conference...ND MUST also be a target! The SEC would be second fiddle for sure!!!

I don't know how much this rumor affects the next media negotiation, and how long the contract will be, but 5 years down the road...B1G schools will be swimming in $$$.
Rumored to be $80-$90 million per school. The gap between SEC +Big 10 compared to everyone else will be ridiculous. If you aren't in one of those 2 conferences, you won't be relevant for much longer. OU and TX jumping was the first domino. Now it's an arms race to build super conferences.

Playoff structure is changing. That's not new news. It will be 8 or 12, in which case, the conference will get more. Eventually it will be mostly SEC and Big 10 teams due to the giant revenue gap schools in those conferences are creating.
Correct. This was going to happen once Oklahoma and Texas bolted for the SEC. Big 10 had the choice to either stand pat and hope for the best or be proactive and be part of shaping what the future of college FB looks like. To Warren's credit, looks like they are taking the latter route. I would bet the SEC and Big 10 push very hard for at least 16-team playoff. I personally would prefer 24 and make the bowl system largely go away.

I’m sure this will be an unpopular opinion but I have always hoped some of these bigger conferences went to a soccer style arrangement where if there were 16 teams the top eight or 10 would be in the top division the others would drop into the lower division and have the opportunity to pay their way back in and others could play their way back out!

I’m sure this will be an unpopular opinion but I have always hoped some of these bigger conferences went to a soccer style arrangement where if there were 16 teams the top eight or 10 would be in the top division the others would drop into the lower division and have the opportunity to pay their way back in and others could play their way back out!
That would be interesting.

Not sure if there's any truth to this. I've always wanted ND in the B1G (huge fanbase and because they've resisted so much) and I've said for years the way to do it is to get the teams they play the most into the B1G. Then you've got leverage on them if they still say no, but they've got the teams they like to play in one conference so it makes it an easier decision for them.

I suspect the days of being independent are numbered. Bigger conferences may go to 10 game seasons and marquee non-con games may go by the wayside. I doubt ND wants to be on the outside looking in.....

Reactions: Floyd_Of_Rosedale
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT