ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Arizona Charged w/ FIVE Level I Violations. 2 Yrs Ago was thought that Sean Miller Was Likely Done where He Would Have Walked w/ $10.3M

If the NCAA does drop the hammer next fall, the Rivals #12, 13, 33, and 66 players will feel foolish for being taken in by the Miller staff. Their 2019 class is ridiculously talented, and I can only imagine they chose AZ believing no severe sanctions were coming.

Would have to guess that they and their parents might be privy to some information that the rest of us aren’t. I had alluded in my above posts that there are recordings that probably won’t be made public which would dramatically alter the perception that most people have. There will be a statement made, but I believe it will probably be after Richardson’s sentencing.

This makes you wonder why they weren’t “watching” the whole time.

“Before arriving in Tempe, Smith was introduced to the perks of life as a coddled, coveted, college star. While being recruited by Arizona State, a limousine showed up at his house with courtside seats to a Dallas Mavericks game. It was sent by Roy Tarpley, who wanted to personally endorse his former coach at Michigan, Bill Frieder, who was then the ASU coach.”

“Already lavished with illegal, under-the-table cars, jewelry, clothes, cash and an apartment by ASU boosters, Smith lunged for another layup.”

https://www.pressboxdfw.com/the-lifetime-headake-of-stevin-smith/

Last edited:
This makes you wonder why they weren’t “watching” the whole time.

“Before arriving in Tempe, Smith was introduced to the perks of life as a coddled, coveted, college star. While being recruited by Arizona State, a limousine showed up at his house with courtside seats to a Dallas Mavericks game. It was sent by Roy Tarpley, who wanted to personally endorse his former coach at Michigan, Bill Frieder, who was then the ASU coach.”

https://www.pressboxdfw.com/the-lifetime-headake-of-stevin-smith/

Thank you Mr. Peabody. I heard Boston College had some issues as well. Wish they were watching.

Reactions: Legend12
The Yahoo Sports analysis points to roughly a dozen potential major infractions cases (some of which are underway):

Arizona: Head coach Sean Miller and no fewer than three of his assistants — Emanuel “Book” Richardson, Joe Pasternack and Mark Phelps — have been implicated in NCAA issues via testimony, documents, Yahoo Sports reporting and the university’s own statements in a variety of potential NCAA issues.

Miller’s name came up frequently during the second federal trial in reference to alleged schemes to pay players, with Dawkins’ defense attorney Steve Haney asserting in a pre-trial hearing that evidence “establishes very clearly that Sean Miller is paying players in Arizona.” Richardson was fired, has pleaded guilty to bribery charges and is awaiting sentencing. Phelps is on administrative leave and could be let go when his contract expires June 30. Pasternack is now the head coach at UC-Santa Barbara.

Former Arizona players mentioned include Deandre Ayton, Rawle Alkins and one-time Wildcats commit Jahvon Quinerly. Arizona also allegedly made a $50,000 offer through Dawkins for Bowen.

LINK to Full Story: https://sports.yahoo.com/can-ncaa-handle-hoops-scandal-its-time-to-get-this-right-173558292.html

I think we can all agree that Northwestern has a fine journalism program. Here’s a peer reviewed published criticism of the salacious and inappropriate manner in which Arizona has been treated by many of the sources linked in this very thread. It goes into some detail, and reviews the dangers of indulging such behavior by such journalists. Enjoy!

(Click on the link in the post and skim to page 49 of the law review)

Reactions: David1979
I think we can all agree that Northwestern has a fine journalism program. Here’s a peer reviewed published criticism of the salacious and inappropriate manner in which Arizona has been treated by many of the sources linked in this very thread. It goes into some detail, and reviews the dangers of indulging such behavior by such journalists. Enjoy!

(Click on the link in the post and skim to page 49 of the law review)

I stopped reading when I got to "basketball match" and then laughed when I found out she is from Tucson.

All these years I thought I watched basketball GAMES. Her undergrad work doesn’t bode well. Perhaps the peer review needs to step up their process as well. Keep fighting the good fight.

I stopped reading when I got to "basketball match" and then laughed when I found out she is from Tucson.

But, it's peer reviewed! :)

science-peer_review-refereed_source-peer-evaluation-scientists-msen229_low.jpg

Miller's contract provides that even if he is fired with cause, the university would have to pay him $10.3 million.

From ESPN:

Arizona coach Sean Miller on Saturday sounded like someone whose days on the job are numbered.

Miller, one of the game's big names ensnared in the federal investigation into college basketball corruption, grew emotional in a speech to fans following his team's 72-64 home loss to rival Arizona State.

"The fan bases that we're often compared to, the giants of the college basketball game -- Kentucky in Rupp Arena, Phog Allen Fieldhouse with Kansas, you can fill in the blanks of the other places -- but there's no place that's more magical," he said to cheers from the McKale Center crowd.

"There's no fans in the world that are more loyal. And it has been an amazing honor to coach in McKale Center for the last 10 years," he said. "Thank you for everything."

ESPN, citing sources familiar with the government's evidence, reported in February that FBI wiretaps intercepted telephone conversations between Miller and Christian Dawkins, a key figure in the corruption investigation. In those calls, Miller discussed paying $100,000 to ensure former star freshman Deandre Ayton signed with the Wildcats, the sources said.

According to people with knowledge of the FBI investigation, Miller and Dawkins, a runner working for ASM Sports agent Andy Miller, had multiple conversations about Ayton. When Dawkins asked Sean Miller if he should work with assistant coach Emanuel "Book" Richardson to finalize their agreement, Miller told Dawkins he should deal directly with him when it came to money, the sources said.

Richardson, who was accused of accepting $20,000 in bribes to steer Arizona players to certain managers and financial advisers once they turned pro, pleaded guilty to one felony count of conspiracy to commit bribery. He could face 18 to 24 months in prison at his sentencing in U.S. District Court in New York on April 24.

After Richardson was arrested in late September, Arizona president Robert C. Robbins announced that the university had hired two law firms to conduct independent investigations into the matter.

Robbins has stood by a statement he first made in October, when he said in part, "Based on the facts that we know at this time, we support Coach Miller."

Miller's contract provides that even if he is fired with cause, the university would have to pay his base salary. The contract defines his base salary as his salary plus his peripheral salary. That adds up to roughly $10.3 million through May 2022. The only part that Miller wouldn't be entitled to is $1.7 million from Nike and IMG that is due to him if he completes his contract.

The Wildcats (17-14, 8-10 Pac-12) have struggled throughout the season, leaving them in need of a strong run in next week's Pac-12 tournament just to get a bid to the NIT

LINK: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26212890/thank-everything

So if you're a coach and want to retire, bribe someone, get fired early and collect your 10 million dollar contract early and move to Hawaii. Almost as profitable as being a congressman or senator in Washington DC.

Disgusting...

UNC showed the way — lawyer up, drag your feet, and tell the NCAA to go F itself.

It worked for them. Why wouldn’t Kansas and Arizona do exactly the same thing? The NCAA is completely outgunned when it comes to engaging in lawfare with these institutions.

What does it teach the young men and women that these programs (indeed, these universities) purport to serve? That it’s all about money and winning, of course.

Whether Miller, Self etc. ultimately beat the rap or not, I think it’s astonishing that parents of standout players are still sending their kids to these programs/coaches.

But they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDHawkDoc
@Hawk_4shur

Actually, it is being reported that he is "owed" $1.5 million.

And don't forget. 2 years ago, when I started this thread, even if he had been fired w/ cause, he would have walked with $10.3 Million no matter what

@Hawk_4shur

Actually, it is being reported that he is "owed" $1.5 million.

And don't forget. 2 years ago, when I started this thread, even if he had been fired w/ cause, he would have walked with $10.3 Million no matter what

So, was he paid out the rest during the last 2 years?

Anyway - these coaches are treated with such undeserved kindness. They really have no reason not to cheat (except personal integrity. :rolleyes: )

@Ronman @33hawkfan @SDHawkDoc @iabcuda @iowalawhawk @23 so far @HawkIDrummer @Mohawkeye @perryhawk @walleye hunter16 @ObeseMuffins @Hawk_4shur @DirtyJohns97

What do you think happens now with the FIVE LEVEL 1 NCAA violations???

I updated the orig post today after Sean was fired. Quite the timeline. I didn't think another thread was necessary.

Personally, I don't think the "cleansing is complete" at Arizona.

Not even close.
*shrugs* 1 year postseason ban, loss of like 2 scholarships for a year or two, all while the team rebuilds anyway. 5 year show cause dor Miller.

Reactions: Ronman
So, was he paid out the rest during the last 2 years?

Anyway - these coaches are treated with such undeserved kindness. They really have no reason not to cheat (except personal integrity. :rolleyes: )

From AZCentral.com:

The university said it will honor Miller's contract, which runs through May 31, 2022.

Miller is being terminated without cause, which allows him to receive 50% of his remaining guaranteed pay, or about $1.5 million.

A university official said Wednesday that the exact dollar amount was still being calculated.

The full story:

*shrugs* 1 year postseason ban, loss of like 2 scholarships for a year or two, all while the team rebuilds anyway. 5 year show cause dor Miller.

Did you know about the $40,000 payment for a fake transcript that allowed a high school player to enroll at Arizona? More info on that follows in this post.

Also, they already "served" their post season ban. Note that this past season Arizona was not eligible for the Pac-12 or NCAA tournaments due to a self-imposed ban.

And remember that last month college basketball insider Jon Rothstein tweeted that Arizona and Miller "were moving forward with the idea that their marriage would continue."

Its hard to believe that it was 3 1/2 years ago (Sep 2017) when the FBI announced its investigation into college basketball

The ensuing NCAA investigation led to FIVE Level I (most serious) charges, including:

* Multiple allegations of academic misconduct, including arranging for payment of $40,000 for a false or inaccurate transcript for one athlete who ended up competing for Arizona in postseason tournaments. These payments occurred between March 2016 and September 2017 for two prospective athletes who needed to meet academic standards.

* A bribery scheme

* The cover-up of a $500 loan

* Lack of head coach responsibility

* A lack of institutional control by the university.

The full story:

No doubt the post-season success of the Women's Program and the stark contrast between Miller and the Women's Coach, Adia Barnes played a factor as well. Barnes is actively involved in the Tucson community; her players perform many hours of community service projects; and they perform extremely well academically. Miller had very good success early in his tenure, especially in Pac-12 play but never seemed to live up to expectations in post-season play and failed to win a game the tourney since 2015. He became a coaching control freak and enamored with the 5 star recruits. His teams became unimaginative on offense and never looked to be having any fun on the court. Younger players had a a very short leash unless they were a 5 star recruit. His assistants (Richardson or Phelps) wouldn't have done anything without Miller's knowledge. If you took a poll in Tucson, the majority of fans are glad he is gone and felt it should have happened 3 years ago. He tarnished the U of A brand that Lute built. That being said, it is still a top 10 or 15 job in spite of upcoming sanctions. The fan base is very strong, facilities are excellent, it is easy to recruit to Southern Arizona, ASU hasn't taken off under Hurley and unless football makes dramatic improvement, basketball is king.

ADVERTISEMENT