ADVERTISEMENT

6 schools to be notified of serious Level I NCAA violations

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Expect Cleveland State and Bethune Cookman to get the death penalty. ;)

As you will read, other schools likely in trouble:
Arizona
Auburn
Oklahoma State
Southern California
Creighton
Kansas
Louisville
NC State
Oregon

The Story From ESPN.com:

• i

Mark SchlabachESPN Senior Writer
June 12, 2019

A high-ranking NCAA official told CBS Sports on Wednesday that at least six Division I men's basketball programs will receive notices of allegations for Level I violations, the most serious infractions under NCAA rules, as a result of the federal government's investigation into corruption in the sport.

Stan Wilcox, the NCAA's vice president of regulatory affairs, told CBS Sports at an athletic directors conference in Orlando, Florida, that two programs might receive notices of allegations by early July and that four more probably will receive them by the end of the summer.

"There's even another group of cases that we're still working on," Wilcox said. "The main thing is that we're up and ready. We're moving forward, and you'll see consequences."

Wilcox declined to identify the schools that will receive notices of allegations.

"I would just say that it's clear when you look at the number of cases that were listed by the Southern District of New York, those numbers are more than likely to be reflected in the number of cases that are going to be moving forward," he said.

Assistant coaches from four schools -- Arizona, Auburn, Oklahoma State and Southern California -- pleaded guilty to accepting bribes from aspiring business manager Christian Dawkins and others to influence their players to sign with his fledgling sports agency.

During two federal criminal trials in the Southern District of New York, there also was evidence presented or testimony from witnesses that alleged coaches at a handful of other schools, including Creighton, Kansas, Louisville, NC State and Oregon, allegedly made offers of improper payments to players and their families or were providing them with payments.

Officials at Arizona, Kansas, Louisville, NC State and USC have previously acknowledged that their men's basketball programs are under NCAA investigation.

Louisville's Rick Pitino is the only head coach fired after the federal government indicted 10 men in October 2017, following a clandestine two-year investigation into bribes and other corruption. Wilcox said other head coaches might face penalties from the NCAA.

"Those top coaches that were mentioned in the trials where the information shows what was being said was a violation of NCAA rules, yes. They will be all part of these notices of allegations," Wilcox told CBS Sports.

NCAA investigators have requested all documents that the schools submitted to the federal government in response to subpoenas and have conducted interviews on and off campus.

Last month, during a meeting of the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, Kevin Lennon, the NCAA's vice president for Division I governance, said the notices "will be coming."

"You don't get in the way of a federal investigation," Lennon said. "Activity was going on during that span that was within our purview; but now that the court cases are done, now we're in a position where you're likely to see notices of allegations going to institutions that have violated NCAA rules, etc. I think you can anticipate notices of allegations will be coming."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...21/6-schools-notified-serious-ncaa-violations

Last edited:
Will the NCAA take this a step further, and actually investigate the entire athletic programs at these fine cheating institutions? It's doubtful the NCAA will go that far, but it should. Auburn is a fine example.

Either the AD is complicit, or incompetently ignorant. If there is complicity, it probably happens in football under the same corrupt leadership.

Will the NCAA take this a step further, and actually investigate the entire athletic programs at these fine cheating institutions? It's doubtful the NCAA will go that far, but it should. Auburn is a fine example.

Either the AD is complicit, or incompetently ignorant. If there is complicity, it probably happens in football under the same corrupt leadership.
remember Cam Newton's dad shopping him around? and where did he end up? Auburn. and who won the national championship that year?

it appears to me that these head coaches are very good liars

They are very good at plausible deniability. To believe that the head coaches at any of the programs where the assistants got nailed didn't know what was going on strains credulity. And if they didn't know, that also says something about them (which isn't good either).

Either the NCAA beefs up enforcement arm, gets subpoena power and can really clean things up, or they should just let everything go. As it is, the penalties for cheating are not nearly tough enough to deter teams from doing so.

Will they let the players from these schools transfer, and be immediately eligible? Those that did not take any illegal funds, that is...

Assuming that Moss did not take any cash, where would he go next...?

Expect Cleveland State and Bethune Cookman to get the death penalty. ;)

As you will read, other schools likely in trouble:
Arizona
Auburn
Oklahoma State
Southern California
Creighton
Kansas
Louisville
NC State
Oregon

The Story From ESPN.com:

• i

Mark SchlabachESPN Senior Writer
June 12, 2019

A high-ranking NCAA official told CBS Sports on Wednesday that at least six Division I men's basketball programs will receive notices of allegations for Level I violations, the most serious infractions under NCAA rules, as a result of the federal government's investigation into corruption in the sport.

Stan Wilcox, the NCAA's vice president of regulatory affairs, told CBS Sports at an athletic directors conference in Orlando, Florida, that two programs might receive notices of allegations by early July and that four more probably will receive them by the end of the summer.

"There's even another group of cases that we're still working on," Wilcox said. "The main thing is that we're up and ready. We're moving forward, and you'll see consequences."

Wilcox declined to identify the schools that will receive notices of allegations.

"I would just say that it's clear when you look at the number of cases that were listed by the Southern District of New York, those numbers are more than likely to be reflected in the number of cases that are going to be moving forward," he said.

Assistant coaches from four schools -- Arizona, Auburn, Oklahoma State and Southern California -- pleaded guilty to accepting bribes from aspiring business manager Christian Dawkins and others to influence their players to sign with his fledgling sports agency.

During two federal criminal trials in the Southern District of New York, there also was evidence presented or testimony from witnesses that alleged coaches at a handful of other schools, including Creighton, Kansas, Louisville, NC State and Oregon, allegedly made offers of improper payments to players and their families or were providing them with payments.

Officials at Arizona, Kansas, Louisville, NC State and USC have previously acknowledged that their men's basketball programs are under NCAA investigation.

Louisville's Rick Pitino is the only head coach fired after the federal government indicted 10 men in October 2017, following a clandestine two-year investigation into bribes and other corruption. Wilcox said other head coaches might face penalties from the NCAA.

"Those top coaches that were mentioned in the trials where the information shows what was being said was a violation of NCAA rules, yes. They will be all part of these notices of allegations," Wilcox told CBS Sports.

NCAA investigators have requested all documents that the schools submitted to the federal government in response to subpoenas and have conducted interviews on and off campus.

Last month, during a meeting of the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, Kevin Lennon, the NCAA's vice president for Division I governance, said the notices "will be coming."

"You don't get in the way of a federal investigation," Lennon said. "Activity was going on during that span that was within our purview; but now that the court cases are done, now we're in a position where you're likely to see notices of allegations going to institutions that have violated NCAA rules, etc. I think you can anticipate notices of allegations will be coming."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...21/6-schools-notified-serious-ncaa-violations

Here's the ultimate Nelsonian eye:

Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush both drove the same make and model of SUVs, I recall Escalades while at USC. Do you think Sneaky Pete was curious where Reggie would get the money to pay for the same ride as the coach, whose salary was millions a year? Nothing suspicious about a kid, whose parents were teachers I think, driving an $80K vehicle when he's 19.

Their coach.

Ignore him. He is an idiot... UMass & Memphis both vacated Final Fours thanks to that scumbag Calipari.

The only reason Kentucky is not on the this list is one of two reasons (or both), they have friends in high places, or the cheat got better at hiding it. Learn from you mistakes, right? LoL

Ignore him. He is an idiot... UMass & Memphis both vacated Final Fours thanks to that scumbag Calipari.

The only reason Kentucky is not on the this list is one of two reasons (or both), they have friends in high places, or the cheat got better at hiding it. Learn from you mistakes, right? LoL

Actually I think the combination of NBA expansion & the 1 and done kind of player Kentucky has reached the point where they simply don't need to cheat anymore.

Not that Calipari wouldn't cheat in recruiting, of course.

What did Calipari do to cause the UMASS Final Four to be vacated?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT