ADVERTISEMENT

US Open Sr Freestyle finals (other thread got Cesspooled™️)

Nolf vs Joseph

Low double shot by Nolf. Joseph catches it.
Passivity on Joseph.
Low ankle shot by Nolf to a double that Joseph flips for 4 pt and puts Nolf to back but he rolls through. 4-0 Joseph
Another low ankle for Nolf but nothing. Passivity on Nolf.
Double to seatbelt by Nolf and time expires at edge.
Break
Joseph working under hooks entire match.
Nolf with another shot to body lock. Joseph is pushed out and caution 1 for fleeing. 4-2
Nolf with head outside single. Drives Joseph straight to back. 6-4
Another shot in and lifts Joseph up to his back again. 10-4
Joseph moving forward but Nolf is defending.
Nolf hit with a caution and 1.
Nolf wins 10-5.

Wonder how it works in the room and at Final X between Nolf and Dake. Got to have a chip on your shoulder if the bring in the #1 guy.

Marsteller vs Dieringer

High crotch and TD for Marsteller.
Blood time.
Ringer hit for passivity.
High crotch and leg dump by Ringer. 2-2 with Ringer criteria.
Break
Hi-C attempts being traded between. Mostly just fighting for position.
Ringer put on the clock and point to Marsteller. 3-2
Ringer can’t get through Marstellers hands, tries for a pushout but nothing doing. Marsteller wins 3-2.

Wasn't a fan of the shot clock on Ringer there, but still had some time to re-take the lead.

Am a fan of Ringer and wanted him to win, but have a lot of respect for what Marsteller has done in turning wrestling career, and more importantly life around.

Zahid up 6-0 in the 2nd

Td Brooks, 6-2 with 1:30 left
Td, lace, lace for Brooks, he now leads 8-6. Two stepouts 10-6 Brooks wins

Zahid gassed hard

Reactions: hlstone
Wow, Macc blows open a 2-2 match late in the 2nd. Td, lacex4 to get the tf over Moore

Trumble gets the 1st td. Cox responds with a big td and exposure. Close to a fall. 4-2 Cox at break

2nd period

4 more for Cox. Now pushout Trumble, 8-3 Cox. Another td Cox 10-3, and another 12-3 Cox wins

Steveson with a quick 2-0 lead. Two more tds make it 6-0. Break

Early 2nd period reattack by Steveson. 8-0. Gwiz in on a leg, nothing. Gwiz in again, nothing. Steveson in and converts. 10-0 tf

Gable playing up the crowd. Do we get a flip? Yes we do.

Last edited:
Leave it to Flo to spend 2 mins talking about if Steveson is going to do a flip or not and then when he finally does it after the build up, they miss half of it because they're filming random people in the crowd. Classic.
Yeah, they also dropped the Open logo right on top of the guys at 57kg at the first whistle blow. Like why now? I'm trying to watch a match here.

What a great tournament. I'm most impressed with how DeSanto has looked. Props to Vito, that transition from takedown to airtight lace was seamless. Not much you can do at that point. Thanks for all the updates today when I could not avoid my job any longer.

Vito may be the best 61 kg wrestler in the world right now… he’s literally that good.

Gross, DeSanto, Tomasello, potentially Fix…..and whoever else that finished top 7 at trials and or medaled at Sr Worlds or Jr Worlds (there are specific years and criteria relative) qualify for the WTT challenge coming up here the 3rd week of May in Colorado.

That winner will also just like the Trials these past few days need to wrestle and win just 1 match in the finals to earn the right to face off against Arujao for the 61kg World Team spot in a best of 3.

There are only 3 weights out of the 10 total where someone can still earn a Final X spot at the WTT’s coming up, as the rest all have returning World medalists who have already accepted their invites to Final X at their relative weight divisions. Their opponents are now officially the winners of the World Trials at the same weight divisions.

Those 3 are 61 kg, 92kg, and 125kg.

61kg is really the only weight that is truly wide open from last year’s results, and not worthy of a Final X person already waiting to wrestle. World trials winner Vito A will wrestle the 61kg WTT winner at Final X for the 61kg World Team spot.

92kg is only open because J’Den Cox didn’t accept his invite to Final X at 92 kg, and instead opted to move up to 97 kg where he would have to earn the right to wrestle for its spot by winning either the Trials or WTT… which he obviously just did the Trials today at 97kg.

So although Cox will now wrestle Kyle Snyder at 97kg at Final X, 92kg is now open because of Cox bumping up, and Trials 92kg champ Michael Maccaviaello will have to wait and see who his Final X opponent is, which will end up being decided by whoever wins the WTT later this month.

Kollin Moore lucked out big time with Cox’s moving up by both not having to wrestle him at all at 92kg, and by now especially getting a second crack at Maccaviavello if he can get back on track and win WTT’s. But 92kg did have a Final X returning world medalist worthy, he just didn’t accept the invite.

At 125kg, the only reason Gable Steveson isn’t waiting at Final X for his opponent from the Trials winner today is simply because he took the year off from competition..,,essentially forfeiting his eligibility in doing so. So by winning trials today he solidified his Final X spot, and will await his opponent too by whoever wins 125kg at WTT’s.

Here are the Final X matchups at all the other weights: All will be the best of 3 for a World Team Spot.

57KG: Thomas Gilman vs Zane Richards

61KG: Vito Arujao vs WTT winner

65KG: Yianni Diakomihalis vs Nick Lee

70KG: Zain Retherford vs Tyler Berger

74KG: Kyle Dake vs Jason Nolf

79KG: Jordan Burrows vs Chance Marstellar

86KG: David Taylor vs Aaron Brooks

92KG: Michael Maccaviaello vs WTT winner

97KG: Kyle Snyder vs J’Den Cox

125KG: Gable Steveson vs WTT winner

****Out of the 10 world team weight classes, Penn State will have a wrestler competing at Final X in 6 of the 10 weights, and will be favorites to land a team member in 5 of those 6 weights out of the 10 total. The only weight they will have the underdog in will be 65KG with Yianni favored over Nick Lee for that spot. They will also have a total of 8 wrestlers competing at Final X, with both 74KG (Dake/Nolf) and 86KG (Taylor/Brooks) having teammates squaring off against each other for that particular World Team spot.*****

Vito may be the best 61 kg wrestler in the world right now… he’s literally that good.

Gross, DeSanto, Tomasello, potentially Fix…..and whoever else that finished top 7 at trials and or medaled at Sr Worlds or Jr Worlds (there are specific years and criteria relative) qualify for the WTT challenge coming up here the 3rd week of May in Colorado.

That winner will also just like the Trials these past few days need to wrestle and win just 1 match in the finals to earn the right to face off against Arujao for the 61kg World Team spot in a best of 3.

There are only 3 weights out of the 10 total where someone can still earn a Final X spot at the WTT’s coming up, as the rest all have returning World medalists who have already accepted their invites to Final X at their relative weight divisions. Their opponents are now officially the winners of the World Trials at the same weight divisions.

Those 3 are 61 kg, 92kg, and 125kg.

61kg is really the only weight that is truly wide open from last year’s results, and not worthy of a Final X person already waiting to wrestle. World trials winner Vito A will wrestle the 61kg WTT winner at Final X for the 61kg World Team spot.

92kg is only open because J’Den Cox didn’t accept his invite to Final X at 92 kg, and instead opted to move up to 97 kg where he would have to earn the right to wrestle for its spot by winning either the Trials or WTT… which he obviously just did the Trials today at 97kg.

So although Cox will now wrestle Kyle Snyder at 97kg at Final X, 92kg is now open because of Cox bumping up, and Trials 92kg champ Michael Maccaviaello will have to wait and see who his Final X opponent is, which will end up being decided by whoever wins the WTT later this month.

Kollin Moore lucked out big time with Cox’s moving up by both not having to wrestle him at all at 92kg, and by now especially getting a second crack at Maccaviavello if he can get back on track and win WTT’s. But 92kg did have a Final X returning world medalist worthy, he just didn’t accept the invite.

At 125kg, the only reason Gable Steveson isn’t waiting at Final X for his opponent from the Trials winner today is simply because he took the year off from competition..,,essentially forfeiting his eligibility in doing so. So by winning trials today he solidified his Final X spot, and will await his opponent too by whoever wins 125kg at WTT’s.

Here are the Final X matchups at all the other weights: All will be the best of 3 for a World Team Spot.

57KG: Thomas Gilman vs Zane Richards

61KG: Vito Arujao vs WTT winner

65KG: Yianni Diakomihalis vs Nick Lee

70KG: Zain Retherford vs Tyler Berger

74KG: Kyle Dake vs Jason Nolf

86KG: David Taylor vs Aaron Brooks

92KG: Michael Maccaviaello vs WTT winner

97KG: Kyle Snyder vs J’Den Cox

125KG: Gable Steveson vs WTT winner

****Out of the 10 world team weight classes, Penn State will have a wrestler competing at Final X in 6 of the 10 weights, and will be favorites to land a team member in 5 of those 6 weights out of the 10 total. The only weight they will have the underdog in will be 65KG with Yianni favored over Nick Lee for that spot. They will also have a total of 8 wrestlers competing at Final X, with both 74KG (Dake/Nolf) and 86KG (Taylor/Brooks) having teammates squaring off against each other for that particular World Team spot.*****
Gilman, Dake and Snyder are not ‘Penn State’ wrestlers.
NLWC is the modern day Foxcatcher.

Yes. Is/was an Iowa and HWC wrestler. Now wrestles for NLWC. Iowa contributed to his growth as a wrestler.
Yeah, I could see the argument that Dake, Snyder and Gilman are NLWC members, but not that they are Penn St wrestlers.

For me, it is all about where they wrestled in college (and not because I want to claim Gilman). Snyder is tOSU and Dake is Cornell in my book (and Cenzo and Mark Hall are PSU).

To claim credit for prior World medalists you poached because you pay them to wrestle in your club seems a little disingenuous. Maybe they are getting better at your club, but all were prior Gold and Silver world/Olympic medalists before they moved to the NLWC.

92KG: Michael Maccaviaello
A few surnames misspelled and "NLWC" or "Happy Valley" better than "Penn State", as used, but otherwise a great post.

For deserved respect purposes:
Burroughs
Marsteller
Macchiavello

Hats off to DeSanto. Good tournament. Be negative if you wish, respond with a laugh, or bemoan his poor finals match. He was the 5th seed took 2nd. I like his trajectory. Vito is the most improved wrestler in the U.S.A. Over the last year.
DeSanto looked great all tourney and handled the loss with class.
Vito also handled the win with class. No chest thumping or anything. It seems like they do not do that at this level. Only high school and college. Thank goodness!!

Yeah, I could see the argument that Dake, Snyder and Gilman are NLWC members, but not that they are Penn St wrestlers.

For me, it is all about where they wrestled in college (and not because I want to claim Gilman). Snyder is tOSU and Dake is Cornell in my book (and Cenzo and Mark Hall are PSU).

To claim credit for prior World medalists you poached because you pay them to wrestle in your club seems a little disingenuous. Maybe they are getting better at your club, but all were prior Gold and Silver world/Olympic medalists before they moved to the NLWC.
I didn’t mean it that way. Was just trying to be funny and get you all to say Gilman is one of your own. Which he is. All in good fun.

Reactions: Jackhawk87

If you are selling the club, then sell the club. If you are selling the school then sell the school. But I agree - don't try to say they are one and the same. Gilman is a Hawk and a NLWC member. Both places can claim credit, but don't confuse him with a member of the PSU team.

If you are selling the club, then sell the club. If you are selling the school then sell the school. But I agree - don't try to say they are one and the same. Gilman is a Hawk and a NLWC member. Both places can claim credit, but don't confuse him with a member of the PSU team.
Gilman = not a Hawk.

As for the rest NLWC can do whatever they want because they are the ones running sh1t right now.

Currently the HWC doesn't have to worry about winning world medals or poaching wrestlers from other schools.

Gilman = not a Hawk.

As for the rest NLWC can do whatever they want because they are the ones running sh1t right now.

Currently the HWC doesn't have to worry about winning world medals or poaching wrestlers from other schools.
DeSanto will get another shot at Vito and making the world team. While I don’t think he’ll beat Vito, I’m also not going to say it’s impossible after a leg lace TF.

And bronze for Dake!

Gilman, Dake and Snyder are not ‘Penn State’ wrestlers.
NLWC is the modern day Foxcatcher.
You can window dress it all you want… but they all wrestle with or around Penn State. They are all associated now with that program.

Look this is coming from an Ohio State fan. Kyle Snyder was one of the best wrestlers to ever come through our program, and he was key in several kids wanting to come to Columbus.

Greg Kerkvilet being the perfect example. He came to Columbus because he wanted to train with Snyder as the #1 recruit in his class. Literally 2 weeks after Snyder bolted for Penn State he also transferred out to follow him. He didn’t care Snyder went to Ohio State… he wanted to go where Snyder is now.

Snyder leaving literally sent the ORTC spiraling, and it was huge hit in recruiting… even though Snyder technically wrestled as a Buckeye and won 3 national titles there and World titles.

So you can say these guys aren’t Penn State guys, but it’s foolish to not know and understand these guys wrestling in State College now are helping the college program significantly.

They are taking notice all the top guys in the country are all flocking there for what they feelings their best training situation is post college. These kids are making decisions to go there not just for the college experience but also to be around the best training partners and for future aspirations post college.

So to me it’s silly to discount the significance of how many State College guys are in the hunt for a World team spot.

It sure as hell isn’t helping in closing the gap….that’s for sure.

You can window dress it all you want… but they all wrestle with or around Penn State. They are all associated now with that program.

Look this is coming from an Ohio State fan. Kyle Snyder was one of the best wrestlers to ever come through our program, and he was key in several kids wanting to come to Columbus.

Greg Kerkvilet being the perfect example. He came to Columbus because he wanted to train with Snyder as the #1 recruit in his class. Literally 2 weeks after Snyder bolted for Penn State he also transferred out to follow him. He didn’t care Snyder went to Ohio State… he wanted to go where Snyder is now.

Snyder leaving literally sent the ORTC spiraling, and it was huge hit in recruiting… even though Snyder technically wrestled as a Buckeye and won 3 national titles there and World titles.

So you can say these guys aren’t Penn State guys, but it’s foolish to not know and understand these guys wrestling in State College now are helping the college program significantly.

They are taking notice all the top guys in the country are all flocking there for what they feelings their best training situation is post college. These kids are making decisions to go there not just for the college experience but also to be around the best training partners and for future aspirations post college.

So to me it’s silly to discount the significance of how many State College guys are in the hunt for a World team spot.

This is true. I've never seen anything like this first because of the nature of the sport with world and Olympic tithes vs a pro league.
Second , the concentration of talent. Again wrestling is a unique sport, you have to wrestle and the better the opponent, the better your training will be.

This is true. I've never seen anything like this first because of the nature of the sport with world and Olympic tithes vs a pro league.
Second , the concentration of talent. Again wrestling is a unique sport, you have to wrestle and the better the opponent, the better your training will be.
If Penn State is the first thing that pops in your head when hear the names Gilman, Dake and Snyder you have sh*t for brains. You fools need to get lost.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT