ADVERTISEMENT

***US Soccer***

That's because the Olympics arn't under FIFA and FIFA doesn't care.

But they are required to release them for major tournaments. How do you think that is enforced??? Why does Chelsea hand over Pulisic every time the US calls him up even though he has a history of getting injured and he's playing against some extremely "physical" teams??

I mean national team duty just put Pulisic out for 2 months for Chelsea, he is just starting to recover, the US calls him up and Chelsea hands him over. And you could tell they didn't really want to based on Tuchel's comments.
Actually, I think they were quite happy to see Pulisic get called up and see more minutes, as opposed to sitting on his butt for a couple of weeks during this window. Tuchels comments were more to make sure USMNT didn’t overdo it with Pulisic, especially with a major rival on the schedule imo.

calling up players for international windows is always tricky and not as straightforward as you want to think it is. On paper, during competitive windows like WC qualifying, clubs have to release players if the national team wants them…but depending on the situation there can be room for pushback. They can delay when the player actually leaves for example, they can call the national team and ask to hold a player due to injury, workload concerns, etc. and sometimes depending on the player or situation they will listen. This can then help give them more leeway during non competitive windows if a club has younger players the national team wants to tryout but the club doesn’t HAVE to release them for example.

I kinda suspect that if the USMNT hadn’t had Mexico this past week we might not have seen Pulisic.
English FA doesn't have that much power anymore. They could maybe punish Norwich City if they are in a lower division and they could ban Norwich City from the FA cup.

They would go directly to the EPL and the EPL would comply because UEFA could take them out of the Champion's league.
I mean…maybe? I’ve never heard of UEFA or FIFA punishing an entire league for the actions of one club. Maybe there’s some arcane rule that might allow them to do that, but I would have to think that would need to be REALLY egregious to do so.

Actually, I think they were quite happy to see Pulisic get called up and see more minutes, as opposed to sitting on his butt for a couple of weeks during this window. Tuchels comments were more to make sure USMNT didn’t overdo it with Pulisic, especially with a major rival on the schedule imo.

calling up players for international windows is always tricky and not as straightforward as you want to think it is. On paper, during competitive windows like WC qualifying, clubs have to release players if the national team wants them…but depending on the situation there can be room for pushback. They can delay when the player actually leaves for example, they can call the national team and ask to hold a player due to injury, workload concerns, etc. and sometimes depending on the player or situation they will listen. This can then help give them more leeway during non competitive windows if a club has younger players the national team wants to tryout but the club doesn’t HAVE to release them for example.

I kinda suspect that if the USMNT hadn’t had Mexico this past week we might not have seen Pulisic.

I mean…maybe? I’ve never heard of UEFA or FIFA punishing an entire league for the actions of one club. Maybe there’s some arcane rule that might allow them to do that, but I would have to think that would need to be REALLY egregious to do so.

No because they expect that the league will act to enforce their rules.

I mean how else is FIFA going to enforce call ups from teams that arn't going to be playing in the Champion's league.

No because they expect that the league will act to enforce their rules.

I mean how else is FIFA going to enforce call ups from teams that arn't going to be playing in the Champion's league.
So you’re arguing a hypothetical that hasn’t actually happened?

Why do you think no one has ever had the guts to tell them no???
If you know of a single high-profile player a club has absolutely refused to release a player during an international window for major competitions please tell me. I’m just saying that you’re arguing a situation that I can’t recall ever happening. The international windows/releasing players format has been well established for decades at this point. I don’t remember the last time a major overhaul of the call up rules happened.

Italy are struggling to find their way past eliminated Northern Ireland while Switzerland are ahead. Italy has equal Switzerland's result, and even then could beat them out if they both win and Switzerland make up the GD, but this one could be setting up for high drama. Italy and Portugal are both assured of being seeded for the March round but could possibly have to play the last match of the 4-team single-leg playoff on the road.

I think Mexico is going down.

Mexico losing is the 2nd best result. If nothing else it would be enjoyable to see the media freakout in Mexico that they are not even the 2nd best team in CONCACAF.

Did you see some of the Mexican media react to losing to the US in the World Cup Qualifiers? One of them basically said that the US was now their daddy.

Ideally the US wins and Mexico and Canada draw.
I forget, who’s in 4th? Would be nice to see them lose or draw along with a win by us to open some room for error down the stretch.

id also love it if we could jump on Jamaica early and be able to play some youngsters like Scally or Ferreira as well.

in a dream scenario we clinch with games to spare so we can experiment with youth the last couple games.

I forget, who’s in 4th? Would be nice to see them lose or draw along with a win by us to open some room for error down the stretch.

id also love it if we could jump on Jamaica early and be able to play some youngsters like Scally or Ferreira as well.

in a dream scenario we clinch with games to spare so we can experiment with youth the last couple games.

Panama is in 4th with 11 points. They are the only team that really has a shot at breaking up the US-Mexico-Canada Hegemony. Everyone else is so far behind that their chances of qualifying are slim to none.

USA - 14 points - Goal Differential: +7
Mexico - 14 points - Goal Differential: +5
Canada - 13 points - Goal Differential: +7
Panama - 11 points - Goal Differential: +1
Costa Rica - 6 points - Goal Differential: -2
Jamaica - 6 points - Goal Differential: -4
El Salvador - 6 points - Goal Differential: -5
Honduras - 3 points - Goal Differential: -0

Top 3 couldn't be much closer.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Panama is in 4th with 11 points. They are the only team that really has a shot at breaking up the US-Mexico-Canada Hegemony. Everyone else is so far behind that their chances of qualifying are slim to none.

USA - 14 points - Goal Differential: +7
Mexico - 14 points - Goal Differential: +5
Canada - 13 points - Goal Differential: +7
Panama - 11 points - Goal Differential: +1
Costa Rica - 6 points - Goal Differential: -2
Jamaica - 6 points - Goal Differential: -4
El Salvador - 6 points - Goal Differential: -5
Honduras - 3 points - Goal Differential: -0

Top 3 couldn't be much closer.
Panama's comeback Friday night was huge for them.

We have struggled against far less talented combos than Leon Bailey and Michael Antonio. Jamaica's schedule is heavily backloaded with home games as they'll have 5 of the back 7 in Kingston. I think these guys are probably the biggest threat (to the extent there is one) to pass us late if they win this one, so I'd be fine with a draw here.

Reactions: sober_teacher
We have struggled against far less talented combos than Leon Bailey and Michael Antonio. Jamaica's schedule is heavily backloaded with home games as they'll have 5 of the back 7 in Kingston. I think these guys are probably the biggest threat (to the extent there is one) to pass us late if they win this one, so I'd be fine with a draw here.
Agreed, and Jamaica has had bad luck losing guys for covid-related reasons…they’re better than their record shows. 3 points would be fantastic, 1 would be nice, especially after unexpectedly getting 3 vs Mexico. Even a loss would not be devastating after getting a W last week, though obviously not ideal.

Agreed, it keeps the pressure on the top 3, especially Mexico/Canada if either can pull out a W. Who does Panama have?

Looks like they are at home against El Salvador.

If Canada loses to Mexico and Panama wins against El Salvador than they would overtake Canada for 3rd place.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get Paramount + on of these days. I don't hate the Spanish language viewing but definitely perfer the English

Just get it, it's 5 bucks a month with ads. (Which isn't an issue when watching Soccer) This isn't a big financial decision here.

Also I will note Paramount Plus gives you Champion's league and I believe Europa league matches. So there is good reason for a soccer fan to like Paramount plus.

Content wise it has a lot of content although it seems like most of it is old CBS shows. Although if your kids like shows like Paw Patrol & Blaze and the Monster Machines that stuff is on there as well.

I mostly have it for soccer but the kids content is a bonus.

Last edited:
Jamaica equalizes with an absolute long-distance rocket from West Ham’s Michail Antonio. Just have to tip your cap there. Two goals in his first three caps.

A little intermission.

St. Louis new stadium is on schedule and should be done in 7 months.

Robinson might as well have had a yellow Jersey on as often as he passed it to Jamaica. What a poor performance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT