ADVERTISEMENT

***US Soccer***

I see Pepi has three goals in the last week for the men's national team, making Berhalter's decision to snub him for the world cup all the more perplexing.

The US scored three goals in four world cup games, and we left this kid at home lol.

To be fair, his form at that time wasnt great. His spell at Augsburg did not go well.

I think all the strikers have made good progress.

I see Pepi has three goals in the last week for the men's national team, making Berhalter's decision to snub him for the world cup all the more perplexing.

The US scored three goals in four world cup games, and we left this kid at home lol.
Grenada and El Salvador are also not near the quality of opponent that we faced in Qatar, either.

Reactions: Dorrman
To be fair, his form at that time wasnt great. His spell at Augsburg did not go well.

I think all the strikers have made good progress.
Didn't he score 10+ while on loan with Groningen?

Either way, leaving him at home was incredibly stupid and I said that the minute the snub happened.

Grenada and El Salvador are also not near the quality of opponent that we faced in Qatar, either.
I understand the competition is different but there is just no excuse for leaving your 19-year-old future stud at home for the likes of Haji Wright. This isn't hindsight either.

Uhhh...we are playing Mexico in a few minutes

It's on HBO
No, it’s on TBS and it’s also streaming on HBO Max.

FYI, this summer’s Gold Cup schedule came out today, and two USMNT matches near Iowa:

The tournament’s opening match is USA vs Jamaica at Soldier Field on Saturday, June 24th. Their next group match is a DH on Wednesday, June 28th at St Louis’ new downtown MLS stadium vs. the winner of the prelims between St. Martin, St. Kitts & Nevis, Curacao, or French Guiana, as the night cap after Jamaica vs Nicaragua.

Last edited:
No, it’s on TBS and it’s also streaming on HBO Max.

FYI, this summer’s Gold Cup schedule came out today, and two USSMNT matches near Iowa:

The tournament’s opening match is USA vs Jamaica at Soldier Field on Saturday, June 24th. Their next group match is a DH on Wednesday, June 28th at St Louis’ new downtown MLS stadium vs. the winner of the prelims between St. Martin, St. Kitts & Nevis, Curacao, or French Guiana, as the night cap after Jamaica vs Nicaragua.

Might need to do Solider Field. St. Louis would be awesome but midweek makes it tough

I also want to do Vegas/ LA for either the Nations League or Gold Cup but flights were so expensive the last time I checked

This has been a boring game. Maybe it will loosen up towards the end.

That give away was horrendous. We were on the counter and gave up a goal. Hard to do. Not many impressive players for the US.

I like what Jordan Morris has brought. Yedlin okay. Zimmermann fine. The rest? Not sure.

God, I hope not. More of the same ol', same ol'? I'll pass.
This doesn't get me super excited, that being said US Soccer was never going to get a Jose Moreno or Julian Naglesman. Those type coaches make way to much money. I am a little surprised that Marsch even wants the job. I feel he is still a coach in demand in Europe.

I don't know anything about these coaches. Who is Jesse Marsch and why should I jump on the Fire Jesse Marsch bus?

This doesn't get me super excited, that being said US Soccer was never going to get a Jose Moreno or Julian Naglesman. Those type coaches make way to much money. I am a little surprised that Marsch even wants the job. I feel he is still a coach in demand in Europe.

Yes, he is. In fact, Leeds demanded that he leave! 😉

I don't know anything about these coaches. Who is Jesse Marsch and why should I jump on the Fire Jesse Marsch bus?

He's a former US player who is now a coach.

He's had some coaching jobs in Europe. He was mostly successful with RB Salzburg in Austria and got bumped up by the Red Bull Organization to run RB Leipzig where he completely flamed out. Got a job after that coaching Leeds where he coached them for about a year, saved them from relegation before being canned the next season. He's actually gotten a few offers from relegation level teams but hasn't taken them.

I'm not a huge fan of getting him either but I don't think it's necessarily a terrible choice either. All of those jobs he's had are still a significant step up from the MLS coaches we usually get.

He's only in demand from relegation level squads who even if he saves them from relegation typically are expecting a mid-table finish the next year.

At least with coaching the USMNT he knows that he has the squad talent to meet the expectations.

IDK it's not the knock it out of the park coaching hire I was looking for but it might not necessarily be a bad thing. If Marsch's main flaw was tactics, that can somewhat be hidden when you are coaching on the international level because the tactics have to be simplified anyways.

Reactions: seminoleed
He's a former US player who is now a coach.

He's had some coaching jobs in Europe. He was mostly successful with RB Salzburg in Austria and got bumped up by the Red Bull Organization to run RB Leipzig where he completely flamed out. Got a job after that coaching Leeds where he coached them for about a year, saved them from relegation before being canned the next season. He's actually gotten a few offers from relegation level teams but hasn't taken them.

I'm not a huge fan of getting him either but I don't think it's necessarily a terrible choice either. All of those jobs he's had are still a significant step up from the MLS coaches we usually get.

He's only in demand from relegation level squads who even if he saves them from relegation typically are expecting a mid-table finish the next year.

At least with coaching the USMNT he knows that he has the squad talent to meet the expectations.

IDK it's not the knock it out of the park coaching hire I was looking for but it might not necessarily be a bad thing. If Marsch's main flaw was tactics, that can somewhat be hidden when you are coaching on the international level because the tactics have to be simplified anyways.

Better tactically is the thing I want, after it being the greatest weakness of GB.

Better tactically is the thing I want, after it being the greatest weakness of GB.

Meh tactics are pretty simplified when it comes to national teams because they don't have the time to work on them every day in practice.

That said I'm not sure who is out there that would be a good fit and would take the job.

The knock on Marsch is that he is pretty rigid in to Red Bull ball. To be fair to Marsch I would argue that both Leeds and Leipzig had significant flaws. Leipzig had assembled a team that couldn't play Red Bull style and I think Leeds may have stayed up had that kept Marsch. They are probably one or result from staying up. They got much worse after he left but that could also be related to Adams injury.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Marsch isn't one of the elite coaches out there, but we aren't getting those guys anyway, so take him... he's a pretty good get considering realistic options. It's also a place for him to get a boost after the WC if the team looks good over the next few years and does well in the WC. I also wouldn't be surprised if there isn't another good duel national that comes over in the next year or a teen who breaks through to make the squad too. There is plenty of talent except a proven scorer and some quality in the back 4 could be better, but there is talent. Flo helps up top for sure and hopefully will push others to step it up elevating each other's game.

The knock on Marsch is that he is pretty rigid in to Red Bull ball. To be fair to Marsch I would argue that both Leeds and Leipzig had significant flaws. Leipzig had assembled a team that couldn't play Red Bull style and I think Leeds may have stayed up had that kept Marsch. They are probably one or result from staying up. They got much worse after he left but that could also be related to Adams injury.

That's my worry. . . national team managers need to be tactically flexible for the talent that they are given. You can't just go searching out players who fit your system like you can as a club manager. You have to create a system to suit the players you have.

Marsch isn't one of the elite coaches out there, but we aren't getting those guys anyway, so take him... he's a pretty good get considering realistic options. It's also a place for him to get a boost after the WC if the team looks good over the next few years and does well in the WC. I also wouldn't be surprised if there isn't another good duel national that comes over in the next year or a teen who breaks through to make the squad too. There is plenty of talent except a proven scorer and some quality in the back 4 could be better, but there is talent. Flo helps up top for sure and hopefully will push others to step it up elevating each other's game.

To be fair Flo has a good chance of being a proven scorer. Assuming his current season is an indication of him starting to put everything together at a young age and not just some weird one hit wonder situation.

That's my worry. . . national team managers need to be tactically flexible for the talent that they are given. You can't just go searching out players who fit your system like you can as a club manager. You have to create a system to suit the players you have.
Yes, although the squad does have a fair amount of guys that would be suited to this style of play.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Meh tactics are pretty simplified when it comes to national teams because they don't have the time to work on them every day in practice.

That said I'm not sure who is out there that would be a good fit and would take the job.

Yes, although the squad does have a fair amount of guys that would be suited to this style of play.

Tactics are simplified but they still exist…aside from wanting to build from the back I’m not sure what GBs tactics were. He got thoroughly outcoached vs Netherlands - they just squeezed the midfield and they didn’t have a counter to advance the ball.

This is just plain stupid. If they were going to just keep him why the search committee and interim coaches and all of this nonsense? Makes USSF look totally incompetent. I'm not a huge fan, but he did a good enough job minus the whole WC/Reyna snafu. I hope he learned (and the Reyna's) from that and that he will open his tactics up more offensively with this group of guys moving forward.

This is just plain stupid. If they were going to just keep him why the search committee and interim coaches and all of this nonsense? Makes USSF look totally incompetent. I'm not a huge fan, but he did a good enough job minus the whole WC/Reyna snafu. I hope he learned (and the Reyna's) from that and that he will open his tactics up more offensively with this group of guys moving forward.

I feel like they called a bunch of people that they really wanted and got a bunch of no's. So they just were like well screw it I guess it's Berhalter again.

Will he be on the touch line on Sunday?

I feel like they called a bunch of people that they really wanted and got a bunch of no's. So they just were like well screw it I guess it's Berhalter again.

Will he be on the touch line on Sunday?

I hope he gets booed. Like off the field.

What a joke. The new "Sporting Director" is a joke as well.

I am tempted to cheer for Canada Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT