ADVERTISEMENT

***US Soccer***

Not a soccer hater but I generally don't follow the team unless it's world cup time. Are we good now or are we playing against Mexico and Canada's B teams?

Not a soccer hater but I generally don't follow the team unless it's world cup time. Are we good now or are we playing against Mexico and Canada's B teams?
Nope. These are their A teams from the last World Cup that we are handing it to.
This is perhaps as good as Canada has ever been, vs what on paper is the best and deepest talent pool USMNT has ever had.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
This is perhaps as good as Canada has ever been, vs what on paper is the best and deepest talent pool USMNT has ever had.
I don’t think there’s any doubt this is Canada’s best at this point. ‘84 and 85 they used a stellar, NASL-built defense to qualify for the WC but had no serious offensive threat. 2000 they caught fire to win the Gold Cup, but couldn’t translate that into a WC berth. This team was first in qualifying and scored their first goals in a men’s World Cup, and lost two narrowly there in a Group of Death.

Kings of Concacaf!!!

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

Honestly I feel like we might be making a mistake not giving BJ Callahan the reigns here.

I know it's only 2 games but those were some of the best games the USMNT has ever played against high level competition.

And in the final they did it without 3 of their beat players.

Honestly I feel like we might be making a mistake not giving BJ Callahan the reigns here.

I know it's only 2 games but those were some of the best games the USMNT has ever played against high level competition.

And in the final they did it without 3 of their beat players.

4 if you count Miles Robinson but shoot, we have 3 LEGIT center backs. That doesn't even count Tim Ream who is probably done with the USMNT because he's my age but played well at the WC. He is also Fulham's capt. He's still got to be injured from that horrific injury against Man City anyway.

What is happening? Are we building depth or what? We even found a competent enough reserve right back in Joe Scally!

4 if you count Miles Robinson but shoot, we have 3 LEGIT center backs. That doesn't even count Tim Ream who is probably done with the USMNT because he's my age but played well at the WC. He is also Fulham's capt. He's still got to be injured from that horrific injury against Man City anyway.

What is happening? Are we building depth or what? We even found a competent enough reserve right back in Joe Scally!

Scally didn't offer much in the attack but I don't think those were his instructions. His instructions were basically to keep Davies in check and I was shocked at how well he did at that.

Scally didn't offer much in the attack but I don't think those were his instructions. His instructions were basically to keep Davies in check and I was shocked at how well he did at that.

100% I don't think he was supposed to go forward. He did play a fantastic ball early in the first half over the top to Pulisic. Either way, for a 20 year old to really introduce himself to US fans, I thought he was fine!

Reactions: sober_teacher
100% I don't think he was supposed to go forward. He did play a fantastic ball early in the first half over the top to Pulisic. Either way, for a 20 year old to really introduce himself to US fans, I thought he was fine!
Scally is pretty much a stay at home fullback. He doesn't attack much for his club either.

What I liked was BJ basically dropped Weah into a wingback for defense that last 20 minutes. He actually has the speed to stay with Davies

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
What I liked was BJ basically dropped Weah into a wingback for defense that last 20 minutes. He actually has the speed to stay with Davies

The only thing I didn't like was that the tactic change gave Canada more chances and a few that were really dangerous. I didn't mind Weah moving back where he plays for club but we couldn't possess whatsoever in the 5-4-1 and Pepi was not offering anything to hold up play. He was defending too far back to break up play.

This is one of those things where I wonder how much these guys get to mess with formations like that in training. The A team is so rarely together.

The only thing I didn't like was that the tactic change gave Canada more chances and a few that were really dangerous. I didn't mind Weah moving back where he plays for club but we couldn't possess whatsoever in the 5-4-1 and Pepi was not offering anything to hold up play. He was defending too far back to break up play.

This is one of those things where I wonder how much these guys get to mess with formations like that in training. The A team is so rarely together.

Meh we parked the bus by design it was smart to do up 2 - nil.

Meh we parked the bus by design it was smart to do up 2 - nil.

I understand it's not the best argument for me to make because we didn't allow a goal. However, it put us under unnecessary pressure and we couldn't keep the ball in the middle or attacking 1/3. Plus, the way Canada was playing opened up counter opportunities to slam the door.

Oh well, it worked. We won. All good!

I understand it's not the best argument for me to make because we didn't allow a goal. However, it put us under unnecessary pressure and we couldn't keep the ball in the middle or attacking 1/3. Plus, the way Canada was playing opened up counter opportunities to slam the door.

Oh well, it worked. We won. All good!

The thing you are forgetting is counter attacking with the individual play of Davies and David is Canada's bread and butter. You can't counter attack a park the bus defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT