ADVERTISEMENT

***US Soccer***

I'm angry too but we may have struck out on a ton of other coaches. Who knows.

See you Sunday :)

I think that's it, otherwise they would have just renewed his contract straight away after the investigation cleared him.

Berhalter gets a bad rap because of how his hiring went down and the fact that his brother worked for US soccer.

But honestly he slightly overperformed my expectations. I didn't expect him to win both the Nations League and the Gold Cup. And advancing to the knockout stage and then losing to a team with a lot more talent is about what I expect.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I think that's it, otherwise they would have just renewed his contract straight away after the investigation cleared him.

Berhalter gets a bad rap because of how his hiring went down and the fact that his brother worked for US soccer.

But honestly he slightly overperformed my expectations. I didn't expect him to win both the Nations League and the Gold Cup. And advancing to the knockout stage and then losing to a team with a lot more talent is about what I expect.

My concerns with him are that 1) he’s not great tactically, don’t always think he puts the best lineup; 2) he got THOROUGHLY outcoached bs Netherlands, I worry that’s his ceiling; 3) the Reyna fallout - he publicly threw one of his best players under the bus, idk if that can be easily moved past; 4) it is not a long list of coaches who have successful tenures in their 2nd WC cycle - with USA hosting and this roster being in their primes anything less than quarterfinals will be a disappointment to me.

Reactions: B1GDeal
My concerns with him are that 1) he’s not great tactically, don’t always think he puts the best lineup; 2) he got THOROUGHLY outcoached bs Netherlands, I worry that’s his ceiling; 3) the Reyna fallout - he publicly threw one of his best players under the bus, idk if that can be easily moved past; 4) it is not a long list of coaches who have successful tenures in their 2nd WC cycle - with USA hosting and this roster being in their primes anything less than quarterfinals will be a disappointment to me.

Only thing I'm worried about is the Reyna fallout.

I think Vieira and Marsch were interested but wanted 3-4 million and I'm not either of those guys is an upgrade from Berhalter.

If Berhalter and Gio can work things out, I'm ready to move on. Did I think it was kind of embarrassing how these last 6 months went? Yes, and as USMNT manager he got good results but never took us to that next step we were always wanting. But if the players are behind him, than so am I

Can't say the Berhalter news excites me, but I guess he's getting rewarded for taking the team into the knockout round in Qatar.

But how is the Reyna situation going to play out? You know damn well if he benches for any reason, his helicopter parents and the media will scream, "He's getting even!" And if Reyna doesn't perform well but still gets to start and play serious minutes, another element will scream that Berhalter is timid and afraid of the Reynas. He's getting into a no-win situation here.

I understand his philosophy on getting regular minutes at club and earning call ups with current form but I feel like that is narrow sighted.

MLS guys SEEM to get a pretty long leash and Euro guys get the "what have you done lately?" treatment. I am not a believer whatsoever in Jesus Ferriera but he was always a go to for GGG. I am not saying we should have zero MLS guys as my ideal CB pairing right now might be M. Robinson and Zimmerman. I'd not complain about Richards or maybe McKenzie.

Anyway, won't ramble but he needs to go with the best available, in my opinion.

Reactions: sober_teacher
What am I missing here? If Berhalter said something about a player to a group like he did Reyna, generally you would lose the trust of the team. Why do they want him back? Extortion? I don't get it.

What am I missing here? If Berhalter said something about a player to a group like he did Reyna, generally you would lose the trust of the team. Why do they want him back? Extortion? I don't get it.
Maybe because the players knew he was right, and Reyna wasn't?

Can't say the Berhalter news excites me, but I guess he's getting rewarded for taking the team into the knockout round in Qatar.

But how is the Reyna situation going to play out? You know damn well if he benches for any reason, his helicopter parents and the media will scream, "He's getting even!" And if Reyna doesn't perform well but still gets to start and play serious minutes, another element will scream that Berhalter is timid and afraid of the Reynas. He's getting into a no-win situation here.
Sure, but the USMNT’s future involves Gio. Gregg’s call in the WC regarding Reyna’s minutes very well could have been correct though. Gio was coming off an injury and most likely wasn’t in form and severely lacked endurance. That being said, goo at center mid, drastically changes the US attack. Imo, for the better.

to be fair, it’s going to be an interesting conversation the next 3 years. The core of the roster is u-23 or so; with plenty of talent on the way as well. The u-23 team will be in the Olympics next year, which is huge. This squad was already one of the youngest at the last WC, so it’s fair to expect the bulk of that squad will be back in’26 if healthy. There won’t be a ton of open spots like you’d normally expect.

as far as Gio goes, imo when healthy he’s one of the best XI we have currently, but when Adams is healthy, he’s the starting at CDM - so who gets benched?

Thanks for that. A few things that were popping out:
1- Gregg being offered by Club America was news to me. We were worried about them poaching him?

2- The process was weird. So you have all those 8 core values and of all the coaches in the world, or even the available ones or people interested, Gregg scored "off the charts?"

3- Wait... our new director came from Southamptom? The team finishing DFL in the EPL? Yuck.

Reactions: seminoleed
to be fair, it’s going to be an interesting conversation the next 3 years. The core of the roster is u-23 or so; with plenty of talent on the way as well. The u-23 team will be in the Olympics next year, which is huge. This squad was already one of the youngest at the last WC, so it’s fair to expect the bulk of that squad will be back in’26 if healthy. There won’t be a ton of open spots like you’d normally expect.

as far as Gio goes, imo when healthy he’s one of the best XI we have currently, but when Adams is healthy, he’s the starting at CDM - so who gets benched?

My hope when all are healthy:
Turner
A. Robinson
M. Robinson
Zimermann
Dest
Musa
Adams
McKinnie
Pulisic
Flo
Weah/Gio

There is good depth on the bench there if that is the lineup.

My hope when all are healthy:
Turner
A. Robinson
M. Robinson
Zimermann
Dest
Musa
Adams
McKinnie
Pulisic
Flo
Weah/Gio

There is good depth on the bench there if that is the lineup.
I agree - the trick though is that to me; Gio was best in that CAM/CF role he played vs Mexico...i'm not sure he's as good on the wing.

If i have to choose between b/t Gio and Weah as a starter, i'd pick Gio - but i really like Weah on the wing.

I agree - the trick though is that to me; Gio was best in that CAM/CF role he played vs Mexico...i'm not sure he's as good on the wing.

If i have to choose between b/t Gio and Weah as a starter, i'd pick Gio - but i really like Weah on the wing.

False 9?

I mean, I was begging Gregg to throw Weah at the 9 in the WC because I didn't trust Sargent or Ferriera to do anything.

Flo changes the game for me. He has actually scored goals in a top league. I'd love to see him recalled but my guess is he will be loaned out again or sold. Pepi is doing a little better since the move from Augsburg. 12 goals in 29 games in the Erevidisie but even Jozy Altidore scored a million goals there. Even Aaron Johansson did.

Point being, Berlhalter's system works if our #9 is an elite scorer but doesn't need a lot of touches, distributes really well, holds up play well. We haven't had that yet.

False 9?

I mean, I was begging Gregg to throw Weah at the 9 in the WC because I didn't trust Sargent or Ferriera to do anything.

Flo changes the game for me. He has actually scored goals in a top league. I'd love to see him recalled but my guess is he will be loaned out again or sold. Pepi is doing a little better since the move from Augsburg. 12 goals in 29 games in the Erevidisie but even Jozy Altidore scored a million goals there. Even Aaron Johansson did.

Point being, Berlhalter's system works if our #9 is an elite scorer but doesn't need a lot of touches, distributes really well, holds up play well. We haven't had that yet.
Sounds like Flo is likely going to one of the Milan sides, Inter or AC. If it’s AC Milan, he could be teammates with Pulisic.

False 9?

What I think GB needs most is to hire an assistant that will help him be more flexible formationally. I don't hate the idea of the false 9 per se; but if we have Balogun or Pepi or whomever able to score/threaten from the ST position consistently, that reduces the need for that false 9 and we return back to the question of who sits.

Admittedly this is a complaint I'm not used to having. '22 WC was the first time in memory that we had legit arguments about players 22-25 on the final roster, when usually we only had 15-16 we were superconfident in.

Love the back line of Jedi, Richards, Miles and Dest. I think that's the 1st choice backline if all are healthy imo. Want to find another LB we can be confident in and want to see Scally at RB; i think he's the #2 long-term behind Dest.

Midfield - Weston/Adams/Musah. Hope De La Torre gets the nod tomorrow - aside from ST, finding another CDM or two is something I think is a high priority the next 3 years.

Forwards/Wingers - Pulisic/Balogun/Pepi/Weah/Gio/Aaronsen. Any of those 3 works for me.

What I think GB needs most is to hire an assistant that will help him be more flexible formationally. I don't hate the idea of the false 9 per se; but if we have Balogun or Pepi or whomever able to score/threaten from the ST position consistently, that reduces the need for that false 9 and we return back to the question of who sits.

Admittedly this is a complaint I'm not used to having. '22 WC was the first time in memory that we had legit arguments about players 22-25 on the final roster, when usually we only had 15-16 we were superconfident in.

Love the back line of Jedi, Richards, Miles and Dest. I think that's the 1st choice backline if all are healthy imo. Want to find another LB we can be confident in and want to see Scally at RB; i think he's the #2 long-term behind Dest.

Midfield - Weston/Adams/Musah. Hope De La Torre gets the nod tomorrow - aside from ST, finding another CDM or two is something I think is a high priority the next 3 years.

Forwards/Wingers - Pulisic/Balogun/Pepi/Weah/Gio/Aaronsen. Any of those 3 works for me.

Just to clarify my position on the false 9, that was BEFORE getting Flo and when Pepi wasn't selected. I don't think we should do it now.

Scally will get his chance tomorrow probably chasing down Davies all night. I think he can do it and I am excited about him. I think he will be fine long term.

It’s an interesting and tough question. Asumming, they stay in the same formation, I’d say either Weston or Yunus get benched. I really liked Gio at Center Mid the other night.

Reyna has had a shitty attitude and the players know this.

Last edited:
Reactions: seminoleed
I am confused. I thought HBO or whatever was where the USMNT was going to be on, but now we have another Paramount + game? It's on Univision again.

• USMNT vs. Canada date: Sunday, June 18
  • USMNT vs. Canada time: 8:30 p.m. ET
  • USMNT vs. Canada live stream: Paramount+ , Univision

I am confused. I thought HBO or whatever was where the USMNT was going to be on, but now we have another Paramount + game? It's on Univision again.

I continue to be perplexed by how they dole out media contracts for USMNT. It’s almost like they don’t want people to watch sometimes.

anyone know what ratings were for US v Mexico were?

Concacaf has the right Nation's League, not US Soccer. Probably the only US Soccer games that will be on Max are friendlies since WCQ isn't a thing this cycle. Putting it behind a streaming paywall does bother the hell out of me though. Shows that Paramount cares more about money than viewers

I continue to be perplexed by how they dole out media contracts for USMNT. It’s almost like they don’t want people to watch sometimes.

anyone know what ratings were for US v Mexico were?

Concacaf has the right Nation's League, not US Soccer. Probably the only US Soccer games that will be on Max are friendlies since WCQ isn't a thing this cycle. Putting it behind a streaming paywall does bother the hell out of me though. Shows that Paramount cares more about money than viewers

Ironically, I sent my complaint to US soccer about this very thing this morning. I know they don't necessarily have control over it but it's really crappy.

Our B team will be highlighted all summer while our A team goes unnoticed.

I really wish I had total control over US soccer's TV schedule and locations. I'd never have a US game in NY/NJ, LA, Glendale, Dallas, Chicago or Houston again!

Reactions: JRHawk2003
Ironically, I sent my complaint to US soccer about this very thing this morning. I know they don't necessarily have control over it but it's really crappy.

I really wish I had total control over US soccer's TV schedule and locations. I'd never have a US game in NY/NJ, LA, Glendale, Dallas, Chicago or Houston again!

Minnesota, KC, and Columbus lol

Minnesota, KC, and Columbus lol
Game is still on Univision tonight, which most people get on TV. Also, Paramount+ is free for this game.

Game is still on Univision tonight, which most people get on TV. Also, Paramount+ is free for this game.

I know it's on Univision but that means I'm watching two English speaking teams in Spanish. That's stuff I had to do in the early 2000s and thought I was done with.

I don't want to have to download another streaming service when it should be right there.

How is the game growing with a final being put on a streaming service? The European final is on Fox right now.

I know it's on Univision but that means I'm watching two English speaking teams in Spanish. That's stuff I had to do in the early 2000s and thought I was done with.

I don't want to have to download another streaming service when it should be right there.

How is the game growing with a final being put on a streaming service? The European final is on Fox right now.
You are going to have to do the same to watch the Hawkeyes moving forward. It’s not just soccer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT