ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today: Caitlin will not be selected for Olympic Women's Basketball Team

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
What the bloody hell. Women's basketball continues to cut off its nose to spite its face. Incredibly dumb decision on so many levels. NOW is the time to capitalize on her popularity; the entire world would have tuned in to watch her play.

Christine is a USA Today columnist and a CNN, ABC News, PBS and NPR commentator. She is also a best-selling author.

Last edited:
NOW is the time to capitalize on her popularity for the WNBA. Imagine what it could do for the league when the entire world would be watching her play. The W honestly can’t get out of it’s own way
All true, but for CC personally its probably better that she take that time off. She been going full out for so long with no break. It may also lessen some of the animosity from the old guard..

What the bloody hell.

Christine is a USA Today columnist and a CNN, ABC News, PBS and NPR commentator. She is also a best-selling author.

It’s official. I will not watch a second of it. If it comes on, I’m turning it off. Bad look for taurasi, really. She has like 97 gold medals already. If she fancied herself a steward of the team, she would have stepped down. Oh well, what evs.

When Christian Lattner made the "dream team" in 1992 nobody raised a stink even tho there had to be 20+ better NBA guys left off.

Seems political as the 12th member of the team is not that significant to team success...lattner hardly played.

Nike is sad today, also.
I just hope CC continues to light it up this year to make the committee look bad.

When Christian Lattner made the "dream team" in 1992 nobody raised a stink even tho there had to be 20+ better NBA guys left off.

Seems political as the 12th member of the team is not that significant to team success...lattner hardly played.

Nike is sad today, also.
I just hope CC continues to light it up this year to make the committee look bad.
I think this will light even more of a fire, if that is possible. She doesn’t have to suck up up taurasi et al, or play politics. Game on.

I thought I read the last two overall number 1 picks made it their rookie year in an Olympic year. Breanna Stewart in 2016 did for sure. I know Diana made it her rookie year. So it’s not unheard of - in fact it normally happens. Just a missed opportunity for all.

From a marketing and build-the-game perspective, it is a stupid decision. From a pure best-team-on-the-court and political perspective, it’s probably a reasonable decision. That said, were I king of the universe, I would have put her on the team, all things considered.

I don’t know much about specific skills needed for 3v3, but I am totally shocked that they wouldn’t just put her on that to get the eyeballs…but again, I don’t know that sport at all — perhaps Van Lith beats Clark at 3v3 every day of the week, but seems unlikely.

BUT…here is what I think will happen, and what I suspect the masters of the universe are hoping for: Clark is names an alternate for Olympic team and someone gets injured and/or has to opt out. Then Clark is on the team, everyone watches, and the people who chose the team don’t have to take any heat for putting her on for marketing reasons….

Part of me wonders if this was a mutual decision to try and give Clark a break. She's been going pretty much non-stop since last October and she is the cash cow for the WNBA. At least I hope that's the case because they are going to get another lesson in what happens when Clark isn't involved.

The question I have is, Is Aliyah Boston still on the roster? You can't tell me there aren't at least half a dozen other bigs playing better than her right now. Hell, I'd take Gustafson before her right now and she doesn't even start.

What would be funny is if fans wore Clark Ts and jerseys to the games with her not on the squad as a reminder/protest.

If I'm Nike I'm handing out free Ts before the game for fans to wear. Same for Iowa anything to help recruiting.

72906308007-030824-bt-tiowapennst-ls-75.JPG

Last edited:
What the bloody hell.

The only reason I would have become a fan of watching some WNBA is because of CC. I won’t watch a second of women's bball at the Olympics. They (WNBA) continue to show just how stupid they are in marketing their product. Griner should be playing for another country and Taurasi is 10 days older than dirt and playing like crap. They are going to win….but they missed a huge window. Idiots

Last edited:
All true, but for CC personally its probably better that she take that time off. She been going full out for so long with no break. It may also lessen some of the animosity from the old guard..
I couldn't give a shit less about "the old guard" they are a bunch of angry jealous lezbos. It's another political move catering to a certain group

I will not watch a second of it and hardly anyone else will

Nike is sad today, also.
You are correct about CC continuing to have a very good year. There are a few top team that can hold her down because they are tougher on CC and can hold down her teammates. But if she can inch that scoring avg close to 20 ppg, cut down on the turnover avg, and continue to be a surpisingly good rebounder then that is great. And we know she can probably avg about 10 assists a game when her teammates and the offense can finish.

Random thought, I wonder if she has any lineage which would allow her to play for another country…
She could probably play for Italy as that country as a very easy rule for playing for them.

Hey, I am a southside Des Moines IA of Italian descent and Clark's mom is Italian so that would be very cool. And she could bring her Nike's to Italy's team although I am not a big Nike fan.

The story that was just posted on USA Today's website:

Caitlin Clark snubbed by USA Basketball. Fever star left off Olympic team for Paris

Christine Brennan
USA TODAY
Published 8:35 am CT, June 8, 2024

Caitlin Clark, the most popular women’s basketball player in the nation, if not the world, has been left off the 2024 U.S. Olympic women’s basketball roster, three people with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports Saturday morning.

This confirms USA TODAY Sports’ overnight reporting that Clark — whose thrilling logo 3’s and pinpoint passes have electrified record crowds and TV audiences while earning her WNBA rookie of the month honors and numerous rookie statistical records — has been snubbed by USA Basketball.

USA Basketball, the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Committee and Clark could not immediately be reached for comment Saturday morning.

Two other sources, both long-time U.S. basketball veterans with decades of experience in the women’s game, told USA TODAY Sports Friday that concern over how Clark’s millions of fans would react to what would likely be limited playing time on a stacked roster was a factor in the decision making. If true, that would be an extraordinary admission of the tension that this multi-million-dollar sensation, who signs autographs for dozens of children before and after every game, has caused for the old guard of women’s basketball. The two people spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

74025948007-usatsi-23455277.jpg

The U.S. women’s Olympic basketball team is the most dominant and successful team in the world, having last lost a game in 1992. But for all of their victories and medals, the U.S. players are often largely ignored by the sports media at the Olympic Games. The gymnasts and swimmers and runners and of course the U.S. women’s soccer team get so much more attention. It’s a crowded couple of weeks with dozens of medals being handed out every day, so the competition for headlines is always intense.

Even at the women’s gold-medal basketball games at the Olympics, the press tribune is almost always half-empty, if not worse. Clark of course would have changed all that, igniting interest not just among U.S. media but reporters around the world.

Clark, 22, has become the human gateway to women’s hoops for hundreds of thousands, likely even millions, of girls and boys, women and men. USA Basketball certainly could have tapped into her enormous reach to help promote not only its 2024 Olympic team but the women’s game in general. Selecting Clark also would have honored the popularity of the college game — and it has been done before, with collegians like Christian Laettner, Rebecca Lobo, Diana Taurasi and Breanna Stewart making U.S. Olympic teams over the years.

The timing of USA Basketball’s decision could not have been worse. Clark made a WNBA rookie record-tying seven 3’s and scored 30 points in front of the largest WNBA crowd in 17 years: 20,333, Friday night in Washington, D.C. Entering the game, won by Clark’s Indiana Fever, the Fever and Mystics were a combined 2-19. Hundreds of children and adults in the crowd wore Clark’s No. 22 jerseys.

The audience at Capital One Arena was more than double the crowd the Chicago Sky drew the night before in the same building.

For months, Clark’s possible selection has been the topic of speculation throughout the basketball world.

“I don’t know how you leave the country without her,” four-time Olympic gold medalist Lisa Leslie told The Sporting News in April, adding that Clark “one hundred percent” should be on Team USA.

The irony is that the decision makers are worried how Caitlin's millions of fans would have reacted to what would likely be limited playing time on a stacked roster.

They think this morning's reaction is going to be better?

There needs to be a changing of the old guard of women’s basketball.
Yeah, that is really a dumb statement. People would understand if she didn't play all the time, but, to not be on the team is not a great decision.

Speaking of changing of the guard:

Diana turns 42 in 3 days, on June 11.

Caitlin turned 22 on Jan 22.

Look at the assist difference.

.............................Pts...Rebs...Asts...Stl...Blk...FG%..3Pt%..FT%
Caitlin Clark......16.8...5.3......6.3...1.5...0.9...37.3....32.7...89.3
Diana Taurasi....16.3...4.5......1.1...0.6...0.1....37.0...36.0...84.6

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT