ADVERTISEMENT

USC message board game thread

Iowa is good at developing their players. The thing that gets overlooked is that Iowa is better at identifying talent than most, and definitely better than the people who assign "stars" to prospects. A lot of those rankings are a who's who circle jerk. Over and over, a prospect's ranking improves when they receive an offer from one of the "right" schools. Iowa trusts their own evaluation of talent, and they offer players who will be good fits into the culture.

Exactly!

True, but as usual, the blue bloods/former blue bloods rarely give credit to Iowa talent. Its always coaching, preparation, effort. It gets tired. It certainly IS those things but you cannot tell me that ISM was not one of or THE fastest guy on the field. Or that AJE was not the most athletic D lineman in the game.
I agree... did you watch any of the video? The guy gave Iowa major props, which is why I said it was so refreshing

Klatt was spot-on when he said that Iowa knows what they want to be and they go out and execute that way. USC has no identity. And on a side note between the play and Klatt praising the program for the last quarter hopefully that opened some eyes to recruits nationally.
Their identity seems pretty clear to me. throw the ball and give up points :D

I agree... did you watch any of the video? The guy gave Iowa major props, which is why I said it was so refreshing

Yes, I did watch. He was complimentary of Iowa, but the theme I took away was more about Iowa has "better coaching" and what we do in "practice." Again, he was certainly insightful, but, and maybe I missed it, he never or rarely admitted that we had some talent + coaching, etc. It was a lot about what USC is deficient in. ex. ISM's kick return was less about missed tackles as he stated, but more about Iowa blocking + ISM moves + ISM speed.

Reactions: TtotheL
Yes, I did watch. He was complimentary of Iowa, but the theme I took away was more about Iowa has "better coaching" and what we do in "practice." Again, he was certainly insightful, but, and maybe I missed it, he never or rarely admitted that we had some talent + coaching, etc. It was a lot about what USC is deficient in. ex. ISM's kick return was less about missed tackles as he stated, but more about Iowa blocking + ISM moves + ISM speed.
Fair. I’ll take what we can get though

That was a really refreshing analysis of Iowa and its program from an opposing team’s analyst... especially after last year’s game against MSSt, where one of their cover guys could do nothing but cry and whine after the game about how he couldn’t believe that his team lost to IOWA

All the whining and crying was saved for Reggie Ballbaby Bush!

Reactions: unoHawkeye
USC was great when they could cheat freely.

Our Uber driver to the airport today apparently went to law school at USC. Just couldn’t help himself but to throw some shade about how their coach is awful and they play for championships not Holiday Bowls. Sure looked to me like they were in the same bowl as us. And hate to break it to him but the Holiday Bowl wasn’t our goal either. But no shame in it. It’s a little tougher when you have to play by the rules.

Our Uber driver to the airport today apparently went to law school at USC. Just couldn’t help himself but to throw some shade about how their coach is awful and they play for championships not Holiday Bowls. Sure looked to me like they were in the same bowl as us. And hate to break it to him but the Holiday Bowl wasn’t our goal either. But no shame in it. It’s a little tougher when you have to play by the rules.

did you ask him if he ever dreamt of being an uber driver as a child?

p8283735_v_v8_ab.jpg

Nice boobs!

Reactions: QChawks
Yeah, not many mentions of AJE. They didn’t seem to know about him and that he’s a 1st rounder. He was totally dominant against that LT.

I know almost every fan base wants their coaches fired at some point (yes even ours) but USC’s collective disdain for Helton is on another level.

My favorite part of that thread was the sequence of QB sneaks. Starts on about page 35.

Said one poster:

“Kirk Ferentz trying to magnify the embarrassment, marching down the field by QB sneak.”

Classic.

It's a similar reaction from some folks when Mississippi State lost to Iowa last year. They don't see Iowa enough to know that Iowa does have some real good players on its roster, and despite the non-stop tropes and generalizations we get during the broadcast about Iowa being "workmanlike" or "physical" or whatever, Iowa has talent, guys who will be playing in the NFL. Yes, the coaching matters. A lot. KF is 1000x better at creating a culture and program than clueless Helton will ever be or Moorehead down at Mississippi State. But how can the people watching the game not see that ISM had the most impact on that game? Ran by the entire kickoff team from USC. I don't know if he'll be a better NFL receiver than Pittman, Jr., but ISM can flat-out fly. He'd be the fastest guy or among the fastest player on most any team in America. All Iowa fans are looking for is some acknowledgement that something Iowa did might be good and not just the opponent sucked balls and gave Iowa the game.

Iowa was freaking favored by 2.5 to 3 points, and Reggie Bush was out there acting like USC lost as a 14-point favorite.

4 and five star recruits DO matter but coaching matters more.

exactly

hence Bama anf OSU

When Clemson was average they were getting a few 4-5 stars but then they began to stack classes. Thats when it took off again. Same coaches, same coaching but better players

It's a similar reaction from some folks when Mississippi State lost to Iowa last year. They don't see Iowa enough to know that Iowa does have some real good players on its roster, and despite the non-stop tropes and generalizations we get during the broadcast about Iowa being "workmanlike" or "physical" or whatever, Iowa has talent, guys who will be playing in the NFL. Yes, the coaching matters. A lot. KF is 1000x better at creating a culture and program than clueless Helton will ever be or Moorehead down at Mississippi State. But how can the people watching the game not see that ISM had the most impact on that game? Ran by the entire kickoff team from USC. I don't know if he'll be a better NFL receiver than Pittman, Jr., but ISM can flat-out fly. He'd be the fastest guy or among the fastest player on most any team in America. All Iowa fans are looking for is some acknowledgement that something Iowa did might be good and not just the opponent sucked balls and gave Iowa the game.

Iowa was freaking favored by 2.5 to 3 points, and Reggie Bush was out there acting like USC lost as a 14-point favorite.
Maybe if they knew that the Iowa kid who ran by their kickoff team was from Newark, NJ not Farmington, Ia they would feel better!

Coaching will really matter for them now that their recruiting class is about #80. Oregon, Washington, and others are winning the battle of So Cal recruiting. With the way SoCal is turning into a crap hole to live in if you were a top recruit why stay there?
They only signed 11 as I believe that is all they had available. Of course you are going to be rated low when other teams are signing 20-25. It appears they have some good young talent currently on the team. If the 11 signees produce 6-8 solid players, then this class will not be a waste.

They only signed 11 as I believe that is all they had available. Of course you are going to be rated low when other teams are signing 20-25. It appears they have some good young talent currently on the team. If the 11 signees produce 6-8 solid players, then this class will not be a waste.
Yeah. The kids they have coming in this class look solid on paper, just small class so ranked low ranked like you said. Not too hard to see if they could take 20 their class would be ranked waaaay higher.

When the majority of fans only hear things that stroke their fragile egos...wel, you have the disbelief like the fans of USC, Nebbie, ISU

Reactions: And1Hawk
I love it when commentators and fanbases of the Hawkeyes opponent think they will steamroll their way to victory. it makes seeing their souls crushed and the butthurt that follows that much better....espcially when it is a good ole fashioned beat down like the one Friday night

Their fans are a bunch of front runners with zero spine to support their team through any hint of adversity. They basically suck and don’t deserve a good team.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Go listen to this USC guy Dan Weber. It's worth your time. He talks about how Iowa prepares and develops players.
https://247sports.com/college/usc/A...helton-kedon-slovis-graham-harrell-141166168/
Go listen to this USC guy Dan Weber. It's worth your time. He talks about how Iowa prepares and develops players.
https://247sports.com/college/usc/A...helton-kedon-slovis-graham-harrell-141166168/
YES. Every Iowa fan should watch this.

Reactions: cleotishaywood
Unfortunately, I was unable to watch the game, so I got a nice woody watching YouTube game highlight videos. Then got relief three times reading through the USC msg board postings. Recommend to all... :)

True, but as usual, the blue bloods/former blue bloods rarely give credit to Iowa talent. Its always coaching, preparation, effort. It gets tired. It certainly IS those things but you cannot tell me that ISM was not one of or THE fastest guy on the field. Or that AJE was not the most athletic D lineman in the game.

Wouldn't you have loved to hear what AJE and his USC cousin #78 talked about after the game?!

Remember when the Cy-clowns had those uniforms patterned after USC a few years back?
Coincidence we went undefeated against the likes of ISU, Minnesota & now USC. All three teams in gold & cardinal,crimson.

Beating USCs ass, rubbing it into the entitled SC fans, AND getting Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart to cry repeatedly, all makes this one of Iowa’s greatest wins.

simply priceless having those two ass bags in the Fox Studio.

After watching the video and hearing what the analyst had to say about USC and how they prepare for games with their practice routines or lack they’re of vs Iowa and how they pay attention to the little things, their preparation during practices, and the things they do during games leads you to believe Helton is in over his head and Leinart and Bush have no clue about USC.

But what do you expect from Bush when he has been ex-communicated from USC for all of the rules he broke as a college student athlete. Leinart, he should know better by going to watch practices of both teams to get a feel for how each program is run. As the old saying goes, “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard”. Imagine what KF could do with 4 and 5 star athletes like USC’s roster if they are willing to work hard in Iowa’s system.

Reactions: DrVenkman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT