ADVERTISEMENT

Utah State coach raving about Spencer

Stud in practice, dud in games.
I don't know that this is correct. It would not surprise to see him flourish in a different system where the staff actually knows what they are doing on that side of the ball. He didn't perform well at Iowa, but he was also surrounded by ineptitude that hindered the entire offense. He's always had the physical tools. The problem was upstairs and what he was surrounded with.

I don't know that this is correct. It would not surprise to see him flourish in a different system where the staff actually knows what they are doing on that side of the ball. He didn't perform well at Iowa, but he was also surrounded by ineptitude that hindered the entire offense. He's always had the physical tools. The problem was upstairs and what he was surrounded with.
Charlie Jones also comes to mind!

He’ll have better numbers because of a better system and weaker competition but he missed plenty of open receivers when he had time. His lack of athleticism ultimately will limit his effectiveness.

Incredible how loud the calls for Padilla got.

At least a couple pieces of evidence emerged to prove those voices wrong.

Yet I've never heard one person admit they were wrong to have called for Padilla over Petras. I'm sure a good season by Petras this year will do nothing to change that
Yeah, Padilla was certainly put in the best possible position for him to succeed, right?

Yet I've never heard one person admit they were wrong to have called for Padilla over Petras. I'm sure a good season by Petras this year will do nothing to change that
#1 He hasn't played yet so tap the brakes

#2 In most people's defense I don't even think most fans thought Padilla was better than Petras. They thought a more mobile QB (Padilla) would be more effective with the awful Oline we put out there.

if he puts up big numbers at utah state that big arm might be enough to get him drafted. btw that would mean the last 5 iowa qb season starters got drafted — stanzi, rudock, beathard, stanley, petras. can’t be many schools that have had 5 consecutive season starting qbs get drafted by the nfl.

Reactions: Tunadog and Torg
if he puts up big numbers at utah state that big arm might be enough to get him drafted. btw that would mean the last 5 iowa qb season starters got drafted — stanzi, rudock, beathard, stanley, petras. can’t be many schools that have had 5 consecutive season starting qbs get drafted by the nfl.
Hey Desi, you forgot James Vandenberg in 2012 as I dont think he got drafted.

Reactions: desihawk
In case anyone needs ratification of Petras starting over Padilla, you might have that with how Petras has unseated an incumbent QB1 and impressed the USU staff while Padilla went into an open competition and was QB3 at SMU last year.

Padilla was not the answer, and most of us didn’t think so. Thats just an Iowa fan thing. They feel like it’s their job to pick a QB

He’ll have better numbers because of a better system and weaker competition but he missed plenty of open receivers when he had time. His lack of athleticism ultimately will limit his effectiveness.
THIS! Nobody asked him to thread needles. He would have been a solid QB if he could have connected with the guy he was throwing to that was wide open.

It doesn’t really matter bro

Our QBs suck no matter who plays.

The difference between other teams is that their coaching staff isn’t afraid to try anyone else.

We only saw small sample size of Padilla. Same with Labas.

It’s not like Petras or Hill didn’t have countless opportunities to get better. They were given every chance, and to the detriment of the team

Correct. He never deserved AS much of the blame that he took, when we knew full well who was "running" the offense.

With that said, I still can't erase the play against South Dakota State where he turtled up as he threw the ball, basically without looking, missing a wide open receiver on a screen play......because he knew he was gonna get hit. Not that he was getting hit..........but because he was afraid of the shot he was about to take.

By the end of Petras' time at QB, every time he took to the huddle it looked like if you were playing varsity in a tense, close game, and your coach decided to pull your kid brother, who didn't play sports, from the stands and have him tell the team what to do during a timeout.............

But hey, good for him for making things work at Utah State!

AbOP.gif

The difference between other teams is that their coaching staff isn’t afraid to try anyone else.

I always enjoy it when you guys put hard ink on paper so we can circle back and pick it apart….

Unless “Said” teams are winning more games than Iowa (and of 132 teams, only about 10-15 are ) then they are failing at something else….

Now what ?

I hope he kicks ass, anything that frustrates that element of our fanbase is a plus for me…

Im equally glad he is at Utah St though 🤓

It’s not like Petras or Hill didn’t have countless opportunities to get better. They were given every chance, and to the detriment of the team
The sample size wasn't even close between Padilla and Labas - AP got to start three games and played most of another in 2021, while JL had a truncated playbook in one game against a depleted opponent. I'm curious to see how Labas performs at CMU. Hope he does well.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
He's far from a Heisman contender, but he was the target of far more than his fair share of vitriol given everything that was going on around him. Crappy oline. Crappy receivers. Crappy coaching.

Other coaching staffs coach up their QBs. In the past Qb was probably the.only.position.at Iowa that did receive coaching at the same.level as the other positions on the team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT