ADVERTISEMENT

vikings

Just got back from the game. Holy Santa Claus shit that was unbelievable. Finally caught a break for once. Unreal.

I'm jealous. I watched a replay from a sideline cam with audio. There was a little buzz before the snap on 3rd and 10 and then when Diggs caught it and turned up field it was like someone instantly flipped a switch and turned the volume up to 11 (thank you, Spinal Tap). It was noticeably deafening just from that audio. I can't imagine what it was actually like at the game. Just unreal.

Stefon Diggs caught a long TD pass vs. Iowa in 2014, though not nearly as memorable as today's TD catch (top-3 all time in NFL playoffs).

I remember him lighting up the Hawks that day. He caught a lot of passes and was clearly a mismatch for every Iowa defender. I also remembered how he could sky for the ball. He was a man among boys. I was excited as hell when the Vikings got him in the fifth round. I think the only reason he fell that far was because he was only 6-foot tall and the NFL, at that time especially, was looking for guys 6'2'' and taller, Dez Bryant types. Vikings got a steal, to say the least.

No, defender just needs to keep his head up, wrap him, and he goes down with time expired. Don't overthink it. It was a blunder of epic proportions.

I think it was a combination of the two. There is a chance Diggs could have wrestled his way out of bounds if Williams waited for him to catch the ball and come down. But, yeah, Williams' blew it. Still, the Vikings had to have just enough time with pass pro, Keenum has to make a perfect pass into double coverage, and Diggs has to sky for the ball, come down without falling, and then sprint like crazy to cross the goal line before the clock hits double zeros. If he had been a half-second slower, the game ends with him running at the five yard line--I think?

Does the play keep going even with no time on the clock? I've searched for this online and haven't found a definitive answer. If the play would have ended before he crossed the goal line because of the clock hitting double zeros then ... that was truly the greatest NFL football miracle of all time. They needed every tenth of a second on the clock to make that play work. That's the reason that it wasn't just a bonehead move by Williams, but also an unbelievably, perfectly executed play at the most critical moment possible. They needed all ten seconds to get it done. If Williams even nudges him slightly or Diggs doesn't keep his footing even after putting his hand on the ground or lets up before the goal line then the Vikings lose. Everything had to go right. There was a bad play by the Saints, perfect execution by the Vikings, and either divine grace or the best luck in the history of NFL football. Perfect storm for possibly the greatest play of all time. I'm still in shock.

If he would have just kept his head up and wrapped his arm around Diggs that TD wouldn't have happened (maybe they'd have been in fg range, I don't remember if they had timeouts either or not).

But people seem to like to just try to do shoulder hits now. Lesson learned hopefully.

If he would have hit him instead of trying to avoid him after putting his head down, it would have been pass interference at about the 33 yard line with 5 seconds left. No need for a timeout. Forbath made a 53 yarder earlier in the game. No a sure thing, but still a chance to win the game. I think Williams mistimed his hit and he realized it so he sort of slid to the side to avoid contact to not get the penalty. Problem was, he knocked out the only other player on the Saints who could have made a play by doing so. A thing of beauty if I do say so. Vengeance for Bountygate and the dumbest, worst throw by Brett Favre in his long career. I hope Saints fans are sick for 42 years. Long-time Vikings fans will understand why I say that.

Reactions: MplsHawk
If the clock is stopped then yea.

People are over-thinking this thing way too much.

They should be focusing on ways to make the Eagles play more like the 1969 Browns, the 1973 Cowboys, the 1975 Rams, and the 1976 Rams..................and less like the 1977 Cowboys, 1987 Redskins, 1998 Falcons, 2000 Giants, and 2009 Saints.

Figure that puzzle out first. Thank you.

I've watched all the TV spots about the Vikings playoff "experiences." You're the first to bring up Darrin Nelson. I know you know exactly which year and which game that's about.

By the way, I think you mean the '74 Rams not the '75 Rams in the first group. It was the 1975 Cowboys -- in the second group (although that was a divisional matchup).

Last edited:
ragnar-and-floki-season-2-episode-one.jpg

Does the play keep going even with no time on the clock?

If the time expires while the ball is in play, the period (or game) continues until the down ends, so Diggs would have scored regardless. I just looked it up and it is Rule 4 (Game timing) Section 8, Article 1 of the NFL rules.

Reactions: Eternal Return
If the time expires while the ball is in play, the period (or game) continues until the down ends, so Diggs would have scored regardless. I just looked it up and it is Rule 4 (Game timing) Section 8, Article 1 of the NFL rules.

Thanks, man. That makes sense. For whatever reason, I couldn't remember what the official rule was. Still really weird that he crossed the goal line exactly when the time clock went to double zeros.

Wouldnt have to wrap him up. Keep your head up and drive your shoulder thru his legs while he's still in the air. Game over
So he would have had to cross his fingers that the ref didn’t throw a flag because he was definitely going to hit Diggs before the ball got there, but likely not in time to beat Diggs to the ball. That’s what I saw after watching it 100 times. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT