ADVERTISEMENT

Visiting Des Moines

HawkAttackDial911

HR Heisman
Feb 1, 2012
Your Mom's House
My family and I will be visiting old friends who live in Des Moines this winter. We haven't been to Des Moines in at least 5 years. What are some things we should do or see and what restaurants kick ass?

Legends is no longer around though.
giphy.gif

Reactions: hawkbirch
My family and I will be visiting old friends who live in Des Moines this winter. We haven't been to Des Moines in at least 5 years. What are some things we should do or see and what restaurants kick ass?
There is higher end fare, but Centro never disappoints for Italian and it has a unique atmosphere. I like Hessen Haus for a unique German bar/pub/restaurant. I used to love Django (french) but I haven't been there since it moved. It is similar in price to centro. If you want english pub food, the fish and chips at the Royal Mile is awesome. These are all downtown Des Moinse. For pizza, I love the wig and pen in Ankeny. There are some local Italian places that people swear by like Latin King but I think they are just okay.

Reactions: HawkAttackDial911
There is higher end fare, but Centro never disappoints for Italian and it has a unique atmosphere. I like Hessen Haus for a unique German bar/pub/restaurant. I used to love Django (french) but I haven't been there since it moved. It is similar in price to centro. If you want english pub food, the fish and chips at the Royal Mile is awesome. These are all downtown Des Moinse. For pizza, I love the wig and pen in Ankeny. There are some local Italian places that people swear by like Latin King but I think they are just okay.

Django made some minor menu changes but on the whole it is pretty much the exact same. I think they have some more steak options now (ribeye for sure is on there).

For what it is worth, I don't like the new spot as much as the old one.

What has changed in five years is there are a lot more taprooms and better craft beer options. If you're into that sort of thing, I'd recommend Barn Town in West Des Moines. They are the gold standard for local IPAs (New England style which is what the market hoovers up right now) and also do a lot of interesting stouts and sours.

Umm Why exactly?
Merle Hay Mall and that stretch of Merle Hay comprise my least favorite part of the entire Des Moines metro. Congested, dirty, run down, depressing, full of strip malls. Yuck. The only redeeming thing in that entire area is flix brew house. I'd say popeyes as a semi-honorable mention but you can get that in Altoona.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT