ADVERTISEMENT

Walk-on point guard???

wbrhawkeye

HR MVP
Jun 12, 2012
Can't we find a former high school point guard who was overlooked for a scholarship (like Baer) to walk on? There has to be someone available who may not be a great offensive player, but is a great ball handler, quick and can defend.

Anything is better than having Ellingson as a back-up. We are in trouble if Connor doesn't come back soon.

Can't we find a former high school point guard who was overlooked for a scholarship (like Baer) to walk on? There has to be someone available who may not be a great offensive player, but is a great ball handler, quick and can defend.

Anything is better than having Ellingson as a back-up. We are in trouble if Connor doesn't come back soon.
Do you really not understand anything about college basketball? Ellingson was a stud HS player. Do you have any eligibility left? Maybe you can go ask Fran to walk on.

Reactions: SotaHawk87
Ellingson was fine in his limited PG minutes last year, and that was during the B10 season, so he's plenty capable of backing up. He does need to make a shot once in awhile, but seems if the first one doesn't drop, he's not going to score that game.

He plays PG like I used to when forced to play there (I generally played 2 or 3), get the ball as far up the court as you can and hope they don't pick you up in the backcourt to pressure you, and then get the ball out of your hands as quick as possible when pressure comes around midcourt. And in my case, hope you see the real point guard check in at the scorers table because you are in over your head and all other 9 players on the court know it too LOL.

Ellingson was fine in his limited PG minutes last year, and that was during the B10 season, so he's plenty capable of backing up
When Connor was asked about the point position this year, he said that Jordan was first, he was second, and Brady was third. I think we'll benefit greatly when Connor gets back and Brady plays the two behind Moss.

Reactions: nanhouse
Do you really not understand anything about college basketball? Ellingson was a stud HS player. Do you have any eligibility left? Maybe you can go ask Fran to walk on.

Do you understand that Ellingson is NOT a point guard?? I don't care if he was Lebron James at his high school. At Iowa, he is like the 10th best player and average ball handler. My point is if there are guys like Baer who didn't receive any scholarship offers, I'm sure there are other under the radar guys that actually played the PG position.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
???? No, he wasn't. 2* SG out of Wisconsin that Wisconsin didn't offer. He had 3 P5 offers. Iowa, Mizzou and Utah.

No...Brady is not a point guard. He is a guard who can bring the ball up the court. Connor is better suited at PG than Brady, by far. Having said that, Connor really is a combo guard but he is a great passer.

BradyE It reminds me when Little Lick was PG. Lil' Lick was decent ball handler but he was so small and slow, it invited all the athletes to go after him like sharks. Its going to be that way with Brady until he shows he can break the pressure and make teams pay.

Even Bohannon who is a really good ball handler had problems vs the Lousiana on ball pressure. I didn't see SDSU game.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
???? No, he wasn't. 2* SG out of Wisconsin that Wisconsin didn't offer. He had 3 P5 offers. Iowa, Mizzou and Utah.
He was not a 5*, but I am pretty sure that he was a 3* top 250-300 player, who I believe led his team to a state championship (I didn't fact check my memory, but I remember a tape when he committed of him basically going 1 on 3 or 4 at the end of a championship game to hit the game winner). I am sure there are lots of guys playing at the Y or on intramural teams that are much better:confused:

I am not disagreeing that we should have another PG on the team. A grad transfer would make a lot more sense, until Fran signs one of the guys they are recruiting for 2019. Signing a PG in both 2019 and 2020 wouldn't be a bad idea.

I am not disagreeing that we should have another PG on the team. A grad transfer would make a lot more sense, until Fran signs one of the guys they are recruiting for 2019. Signing a PG in both 2019 and 2020 wouldn't be a bad idea.

We definitely need more options at the guard position....

Connor would have made a huge difference..IMO..the best passing guard on the team which makes him the one you want to have the ball....therefore he is a so-called point guard..

Brady played 9 minutes yesterday with 2 turnovers...dont even want to describe the one TO...too painful.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
He was not a 5*, but I am pretty sure that he was a 3* top 250-300 player, who I believe led his team to a state championship (I didn't fact check my memory, but I remember a tape when he committed of him basically going 1 on 3 or 4 at the end of a championship game to hit the game winner). I am sure there are lots of guys playing at the Y or on intramural teams that are much better:confused:

He grew up and played high school ball, smack dab in the middle of BIG country and no other BIG team offered him. There's reasons for that. We are seeing those reasons right now. There is more to playing guard in the BIG conference than chucking 3 pt shots.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Brady was lightly recruited out of high school,... Fran brought brought him in for his shooting, not his ball handling abilities. Asking him to take the point is asking a lot....

2922b0fe-f7c3-11de-84ea-001cc4c002e0.image.jpg

Reactions: HawkLogic
Ash is a walk-on and he's not going to help other than practice. The number of walk-on guards who are going to help win games is tiny.

He grew up and played high school ball, smack dab in the middle of BIG country and no other BIG team offered him. There's reasons for that. We are seeing those reasons right now. There is more to playing guard in the BIG conference than chucking 3 pt shots.
So, finding some kid who wasn't recruited at all makes more sense. If you were considered to be a top 300 player nationally, you are pretty damn good player. No one is suggesting that Brady is a D1 PG, just responding to the idea that there are walk ons out there waiting to step in. Baer is pretty unique.

So, finding some kid who wasn't recruited at all makes more sense. If you were considered to be a top 300 player nationally, you are pretty damn good player. No one is suggesting that Brady is a D1 PG, just responding to the idea that there are walk ons out there waiting to step in. Baer is pretty unique.
I agree with that. You're not likely to find a walk on PG that's any better.

The real question is can we find a scholarship for Ramey or Campbell for next year. Both are top 100 point guards who have solid interest in Iowa. Ramey out of MO and Campbell grew up in Iowa.

Ellingson is getting the double whammy here. He is in being put in a tough position to run the point and as a result, isn't able to get into any flow offensively. I don't know how effective he would have been given the style of play in all 3 Cayman games, but I am sure it is frustrating to be playing a spot you are not comfortable playing.

I agree with Bob that Connor will be an upgrade when he returns. It will take him a while to get his wind back, but the up side is that he won't have as steep of a learning curve given his familiarity with the system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT