ADVERTISEMENT

Ways to fix College Basketball

Black_Dragon

All-Conference
Dec 21, 2010
Holy crap that game last night was an embarrassment. Glad we won (also glad were going to be part responsible for Crean's firing), but I would rather not watch a free throw contest for an entire half/OT. I watch a ton of NBA and the flow of the game is so much better than college, it's not even close.

One simple solution would be to finally go to 4 quarters where the fouls reset. I'm tired of teams getting in the bonus with 15 minutes left in the half. Also, reset them going into OT. Let the players make plays instead of living at the line.

Or, we could spend a couple full seasons calling fouls the way they should be called. They've tried it for parts of seasons, but they never stick to it. Players will adjust.
We DO NOT want college basketball officiating to be anything like the NBA.

Holy crap that game last night was an embarrassment. Glad we won (also glad were going to be part responsible for Crean's firing), but I would rather not watch a free throw contest for an entire half/OT. I watch a ton of NBA and the flow of the game is so much better than college, it's not even close.

One simple solution would be to finally go to 4 quarters where the fouls reset. I'm tired of teams getting in the bonus with 15 minutes left in the half. Also, reset them going into OT. Let the players make plays instead of living at the line.
Women's college ball went to quarters and it has improved the flow overall. I believe coaches have one less full TO per half as well. The game seems to stop less, the commercials feel like part of the game rather than the game part of the commercials.

TV timeouts in men's college ball drive me nuts. It's essentially saying, "we're going to stop the game, flow-be-damned, because we have a set schedule and allocation of commercializing we need to do." It makes the game secondary to our obsession with selling erection drugs, cars, hamburgers and beer. It's what has me learning to enjoy soccer and rugby more and more—non-stop action, allowing for drama to build without constant interruption.

Quarters makes those commercial breaks feel less like an obligation and more like a natural part of the structure of the game. It makes commercials seem less intrusive.

Quarters also gives you two more end-of-clock scenarios which produce additional strategy and drama.

I'm a big fan of quarters.

Or, we could spend a couple full seasons calling fouls the way they should be called. They've tried it for parts of seasons, but they never stick to it. Players will adjust.

Care to elaborate? The NBA refs stay out of the way for the most part. In college it seems like every time someone drives to the basket and is touched its a foul. Also, college refs always fall for evening up the fouls because the crowd is booing (i.e. last night). And don't even get me started on continuation in college. No, I don't want it like NBA continuation but come on- it's like the refs make it a point to call everything of the floor!

Reactions: Ronman and K OKeefe
I don't want to see a free throw contest, but basketball wasn't created to make the strongest guy the best/impossible to stop. You are allowed your space vertically (both offense and defense) and infringements upon that are fouls.

Saying you hate when refs call fouls every time down is irrelevant if the players are committing infractions. You would hate it if they blew their whistles every 10 seconds, but if everyone walks around without bouncing the ball.......

The refs don't act in a vacuum. If you think they are calling light contact and shouldn't, then call it that, but don't use a roller brush to paint a portrait.

Reactions: Ree4
The way to fix college basketball is to have the top talent stay in school...and that isnt happening ever again. It is what it is now.

Reactions: 33hawkfan
I'm fine with the free throw contests until coaches adjust to teaching defense the way it was meant to be played. This grabbing/holding/reaching bullshit needs to go away. The problem is there's no consistency with it. They'll call everything one night and let a rugby match break out the next.

1. Quarters, for the reasons already mentioned about flow, timeouts, TV timeouts, etc.
2. A 4th ref watching on TV who can correct mistakes that aren't judgment calls, ie; the non-granted time-out/standing OB in the Minny game comes to mind, among the dozens of other things we've all seen in every conference in the country.
3. Two additional ice-cream machines with wider-mouth cones.

1. Quarters, for the reasons already mentioned about flow, timeouts, TV timeouts, etc.
2. A 4th ref watching on TV who can correct mistakes that aren't judgment calls, ie; the non-granted time-out/standing OB in the Minny game comes to mind, among the dozens of other things we've all seen in every conference in the country.
3. Two additional ice-cream machines with wider-mouth cones.

4. A new time keeper at Carver.

Or the NCAA could actually require the student part of student-athlete to be applicable to even the playing field a bit. There are far too many programs who play fast and loose with academic requirements and can get anyone in and keep them eligible. The rest of the schools trying to adhere to NCAA, conference and in our case, Iowa's academic standards are at a disadvantage. Granted, the extra Iowa requirement is self-imposed, but there is a reason kids gravitate to certain programs and it's not the frozen yogurt machines.

The way to fix college basketball is to have the top talent stay in school...and that isnt happening ever again. It is what it is now.

Adam Silver mentioned in interview during the all-star break that they are going to revisit the age limit during the next round of negotiations and the league would like to see it increased to two years out. However, I think it will depend on how strongly the union feels about it, because I don't think the league will be very willing to dig in over this issue.

Care to elaborate? The NBA refs stay out of the way for the most part. In college it seems like every time someone drives to the basket and is touched its a foul. Also, college refs always fall for evening up the fouls because the crowd is booing (i.e. last night). And don't even get me started on continuation in college. No, I don't want it like NBA continuation but come on- it's like the refs make it a point to call everything of the floor!
if you think the crowds disapproval changes the way an official is calling a game i got land to sell you in the florida everglades.

Basketball rules are goofy in a couple of ways, and should be changed decades ago:

1 - A "foul" is, by definition, intended to be a penalty on the team committing it. In football, when a "foul" (penalty) is committed, the other team is given the option of accepting or declining it. Take the 10 yards or take the play. Logic dictates that should be the case in basketball as well. When a team is fouled, if free throws are involved, the team that was fouled should be given the option of declining the FT or simply taking the ball out of bounds. Thus would end the agonizing final moments of so many games. Hell, Indiana was behind by 10 points with 20 seconds left last night and kept fouling....

2- Adopt the international rule that NO ONE can call time out while the ball is in play. Period. End of story. The QB can't see the blitz coming and call TO just before he gets sacked. No one would think that was fair. But the very same thing has been accepted in basketball forever. Trapped? Call time out. Rolling around on the floor for a loose ball? Call time out. It's stupid and crazy. It has to stop.

Time out should ONLY be allowed when the ball is dead.

3- Yes, go to quarters. In the era of TV domination of sports, it is necessary to alleviate the impact as much as possible. Quarters--plus removing at least one TO--would help.

Basketball rules are goofy in a couple of ways, and should be changed decades ago:

1 - A "foul" is, by definition, intended to be a penalty on the team committing it. In football, when a "foul" (penalty) is committed, the other team is given the option of accepting or declining it. Take the 10 yards or take the play. Logic dictates that should be the case in basketball as well. When a team is fouled, if free throws are involved, the team that was fouled should be given the option of declining the FT or simply taking the ball out of bounds. Thus would end the agonizing final moments of so many games. Hell, Indiana was behind by 10 points with 20 seconds left last night and kept fouling....

2- Adopt the international rule that NO ONE can call time out while the ball is in play. Period. End of story. The QB can't see the blitz coming and call TO just before he gets sacked. No one would think that was fair. But the very same thing has been accepted in basketball forever. Trapped? Call time out. Rolling around on the floor for a loose ball? Call time out. It's stupid and crazy. It has to stop.

Time out should ONLY be allowed when the ball is dead.

3- Yes, go to quarters. In the era of TV domination of sports, it is necessary to alleviate the impact as much as possible. Quarters--plus removing at least one TO--would help.
The only arguement I would have is that in football ball is dead after every play ends. The ball is live an average of 12 minutes per 60 minute game. So while you cant call TO when the ball is live, that is usually a matter of seconds each play. The ball can stay live in basketball a lot longer. If a made basket is a dead ball I like the idea. Just playing devils advocate.

3 foul shots after 13 fouls. They might think twice about fouling. 4 point arc at 35'. Hey this is what I would like!!!

Widen the lane 6" and go to the NBA 3 point line. This would do wonders for the game.
Also allow a player to continue to play after 5 fouls. But every foul he commits after 5 is two shots and the ball back.

Reactions: Fan In Black
if you think the crowds disapproval changes the way an official is calling a game i got land to sell you in the florida everglades.

Well, actually there was a study done on this some years ago. A group of refs watched various plays on a screen with no volume and asked to "make the call". Another group watched with crowd noise. It was tested over and over with groups of refs and concluded that refs WERE INDEED influenced by the "home crowd"

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Well, actually there was a study done on this some years ago. A group of refs watched various plays on a screen with no volume and asked to "make the call". Another group watched with crowd noise. It was tested over and over with groups of refs and concluded that refs WERE INDEED influenced by the "home crowd"
sure, okay

I love college basketball, but I don't watch much pro ball. I don't want to compare our kids to the 1:1000-type players in the NBA. I thought Iowa's comeback last night was amazing. I've watched some of those Indiana players for years now. Means a lot more to me to watch our young kids do well. A year ago a lot of our players were beating, and mostly getting beat by, little high schools a lot of people never heard of. I think Fran has done a terrific job, even if we win only one or two more. If we win three or four more each year for the next couple of years, we'll be set to keep winning 22- 25 every year if we can recruit.

sure, okay

Psychology of Sport and Exercise Oct. 2002

Conclusion: The noise of the crowd influenced referee decisions to favour the home team. It is suggested that referee decisions are influenced by the salient nature of crowd noise, the potential use of heuristic strategies, and the need to avoid potential crowd displeasure by making a decision in favour of the home team.

Heck, I don't even know what heuristic means and I don't spell favour like this but THAT is the conclusion of one of MANY studies. By the way. How much you want for that Florida Everglades land?

Let high schoolers go to NBA draft. If not drafted let them play college but say you can't declare again until 3 years removed from high school, so after either RS sophomore or true junior they can enter draft again but then if not drafted they are done.

Yeah, who would want college refs to be like the best refs in the world that actually have to perform or there are repercussions. You obviously don't watch the NBA so try not to comment on it. TIA.

I disagree. I think the way to improve college basketball is to take the holding, the pushing, and the shoving out of the game by calling more fouls until coaches stop teaching that way. I sure don't want the game to be more like the NBA. I think the college game is much more interesting than the NBA. Also, I highly doubt that Crean will be fired, nor should he. He did win the Big Ten last year.

Sort of like the NBA refs call nothing. No travelling, no carrying the ball....not sure what goes on can really be called basketball. For once Iowa got a few calls when theother team got physical; playing defense with their hands, riding players off screens. If you foul you get called. Don't want free throws then move your feet and play better defense. It was poor Indiana defense that caused the free throws.

Who says it's college basketball and not the NBA that needs fixing??

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Who says it's college basketball and not the NBA that needs fixing??

Say what you want about traveling, carrying, etc in the NBA. That's fair. I'm more focused on the pace/flow of the game. In that regard college ball is an absolute joke when compared to the NBA.

1) Call the game how it is supposed to be called; not the old Michigan St football on a BB court style.
2) Partner with the NBA to push the draft age higher.

Amen to these!! I still recall when really great basketball could be played while being able to keep your ball on TOP of the ball while dribbling, you didn't need a handful of jersey to play defense, and you couldn't ass your way to the hoop for a layup despite the guy guarding you being planted.

Couple calls to improve BB.
  • Call the foul on the offensive guy dribbling, pushing off with his fore arm to get separation.
  • Call the charge more often under the basket when the offensive guy lowers his should to get separation.
  • In regards to fouls, let the stars play. If they get 5 fouls, give the player 3 free throws after the 5th foul. I also liked the idea of 2 free throws and the ball out of bounds.
  • Also like the idea of option to shoot free throws or take the ball out of bounds.
  • Also like the 4th ref in the replay booth correcting ref mistakes. Should never have a game decided by the ref.

Adam Silver mentioned in interview during the all-star break that they are going to revisit the age limit during the next round of negotiations and the league would like to see it increased to two years out. However, I think it will depend on how strongly the union feels about it, because I don't think the league will be very willing to dig in over this issue.
How does the NBA benefit by taking 18 year olds? How many have significant impacts their first or second years? And then, they get bumped out their sixth year by another 18 year old. Since the 18 year olds don't vote on it, I can see the second year being added

How does the NBA benefit by taking 18 year olds? How many have significant impacts their first or second years? And then, they get bumped out their sixth year by another 18 year old. Since the 18 year olds don't vote on it, I can see the second year being added

The NBA doesnt, and owners, GMs, and coaches agree with you and a majority would support a limit. Its the players union that would need to be convinced.

The NBA doesnt, and owners, GMs, and coaches agree with you and a majority would support a limit. Its the players union that would need to be convinced.
It's the owners, GM's and coaches who are doing the drafting not the players union.

It's the owners, GM's and coaches who are doing the drafting not the players union.
Right, but everything has to be agreed upon with the players union. They cant just implement the rule. The hold up is with the players union. The league pushed for 20 year old age limit in the last CBA and could not reach agreement with the players union.

Right, but everything has to be agreed upon with the players union. They cant just implement the rule. The hold up is with the players union. The league pushed for 20 year old age limit in the last CBA and could not reach agreement with the players union.
So then that mandates that 18 and 19 year old kids have to be drafted by each GM. Didn't know the players union had the say as to who each team selects in the draft.

So then that mandates that 18 and 19 year old kids have to be drafted by each GM. Didn't know the players union had the say as to who each team selects in the draft.
Im just explaining to you that the NBA cant make an age limit rule without the players union agreeing to it. That is a fact. It has to be collectivly bargained. The league wants one. The union does not. If you want to talk about why they need a rule to prevent them from drafting young players, then I have no answer. They cant implement a rule without the union agreeing to it.

anyone who doesn't think home crowds affect calls (especially in many D1 arenas with large student sections on top of you)....is in la la land...

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT