ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 16/17 Season

T was hoping for a good post in the 2017 class. But I was encouraged by what I saw out of Hannah Stewart playing against Megan. I think she can give some good minutes there.
When they play zone, and get some good block-outs, you see three players in position that allow the ball to fall to the floor. Someone needs to be the aggressive player that goes hard after every rebound. And doesn't assume someone else will get it. That can make a huge difference.

The hold overs from Angie Lee era
Lindsey Geoffroy, Tracy Schrupp, Bea Bullock, sometimes Jerica Watson.
O' Brien , Schrupp, and Geoffroy hardly played.
Bullock and Watson shared time. Bea was the strong one, Jerica was the athletic leaper.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Tracy Schrupp. And Bullock and Watson, they were essential in Coach Bluder's winning ways during her early tenure at Iowa. Watson still holds the Iowa record of most rebounds in a game at 26. I remember watching that game and thinking she's going to break Amy Herrig's record, and she did. I'd say those two improved quite a lot during their playing days.

T was hoping for a good post in the 2017 class. But I was encouraged by what I saw out of Hannah Stewart playing against Megan. I think she can give some good minutes there.
When they play zone, and get some good block-outs, you see three players in position that allow the ball to fall to the floor. Someone needs to be the aggressive player that goes hard after every rebound. And doesn't assume someone else will get it. That can make a huge difference.
You and I both would like to see another post in the next season, but it doesn't appear the cavalry isn't coming. Hannah has potential, but is still a work in progress.

I know everyone likes to watch the pace and scoring of summer league ball, but as a former player and coach I tend to look at things from a different perspective. The loss of UNI players really dilutes the PTL.

The translation of your last two sentences is a combination of things.
1) Poor technique. In a zone you need to keep track of the defender you are responsible for and put a body on them. Too often Iowa players not only don't show that type of court sense, but I've seen 2 or 3 Hawkeyes run to the same player to box out and leave a couple opponents alone for easy put backs.

2) Lack of aggressiveness. It was easy for teammates to simply watch Kachine, Samantha or Morgan as a center go fight for the ball. Iowa usually releases one player in defensive transition, sometimes two depending on the opponent. That makes a nose for the ball even more important for the remaining three to have some fight. This is one of the reasons I think Buttenham may be a starter over Kastanek. She has follows the path of a shot better than any of the current guards.

As much as it may sound critical, the honest evaluation is Iowa has not been a great rebounding team over the last several seasons. Some individual players have done a good job carrying the rest of their teammates. And with a guard dominated roster for the next couple of seasons, Gustafson, Mohns and Stewart are going to need some collective help on the glass. If the rest of the roster picked up just one extra board per game it would be significant.

I have hope that the FR guards have that fire. They seem to like to play defense, and go hard to the boards. A lot of it is willpower, like Kachine and Sam had.

Reactions: iarick
I agree with oak since I've been watching all 5 freshman play aau circuit the past 2 years. When they get their minutes I can guarantee there will be limited times someone from the perimeter is going to get an offensive rebound from the opponent. They are a tenacious, hard-nosed group that will get after it at all times

Reactions: ozzyrulz
For the last week of GTL, my top match-up is 5 vs 3 featuring Hannah [Stewart] against Chase and Alexis against Makenzie [Meyer].

Kathleen [Doyle] against Bre [Cera] should also be an interesting match-up, equaling the two above.

Last edited:
Observations after three weeks:

Megan continues to be very consistent in all phases of the game.

The freshmen have scored in double figures in all 15 games they've played. They have scored over 20 points in 11 of the 15. By my calculations, they have combined to score 313 total points, for an average of 21 PPG. Together they are shooting 54% from '2', 40% from '3' And 70% on FT's.

Finally, special mention goes to Kathleen [Doyle] for her 52 point performance! Her 3-point shooting was spectacular! She just took over the scoring for her team.

Kathleen played well again tonight. Her pull-up jump shot is deadly. Randy said season stats should be up tomorrow sometime.
Hannah and Alexis came back to win over Chase and Makenzie, despite only having 5 players.
Ally and Christina's team won over Alexa and Amanda.
Megan and Bre against Kathleen and Hailey was a good game when I left.
Ally interview
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/so-sugarcoating-from-disterhoft-20160727

Last edited:
I was able to watch most of the GTL games tonight. Kastanek sat on the bench the whole time I watched her team play. Was she injured? Ollinger sure can jump. If her 3-point shooting keeps up, she will be a long distance shooter Iowa hasn't seen for a long time. Iowa has had great shooters, some tall ones the likes of Wendy Ausdemore, but not high fliers like Amanda. Among the four freshman guards, Doyle has the smoothest stroke, and Cera looks the most athletic. Both Meyer and Cera are very hard-nosed players. The top performers tonight were Disterhoft and Gustafson by far.

Ally had (for he) an off night shooting, but she does everything else so well. She guards the big forwards and gets guarded by smaller, quicker players. It doesn't faze her.
Alexis Sevillian is also a talented guard. hard-nosed defender. Strong to the hoop.

Well, since the GTL website still hasn't been updated, here are some stats for 7/27.
Alexa 16 points 4-9 3ptrs
Amanda 11 points .18 reb
Ally 24 points
Christina 11 points
Chase 31 points 9 reb
Makenzie 13 points
Hannah 20 points 12 reb
Alexis 5 points 10 assists
Kathleen 32 points
Hailey 4 points 10 reb
Megan 37 points 20 reb (she was even 1-1 from three)
Bre 18 points 5 assist 2-3 from 3pt

Wish you guys would either use last names or full names for those of us who don't stay completely on top of Wbb but like to check in once in a while.

Reactions: BEAN DOG and BDinIC
My impression from the two slideshows: the photographers were eager to go home!:) Most photos were from one 6 pm game, with a few from the other 6 pm game, and no photos from the 7:30 pm game by either photographer. I remember there used to be detailed game reports on DI's website posted the same night, and often on the Gazette and Press Citizen too. Sorely lacking this year.

Wish you guys would either use last names or full names for those of us who don't stay completely on top of Wbb but like to check in once in a while.

I agree that I sometimes have to think, especially on the newcomers. But, hawkeyesports.com has a WBB section with the roster and I have had to check it myself once in awhile.

Randy said they would be posting final stats the next day, after the last night. But they never did. He talked for 10 minutes , mentioning a few names, but no official awards we given.

I'm thinking the stats for the last week will not be posted, but thanks to oakhawk we at least have all the scoring (and some other interesting facts) for the Hawkeyes for all four games. Here are the cumulative points scored for all the underclassmen that played.

Megan 37/37/35/37 Total 146
Chase 38/24/27/31 Total 130
Hannah (Stewart) 33/24/06/20 Total 83
Amanda (Ollinger) 27/28/23/11 Total 89
Christina 19/26/18/11 Total 74
Breanna (Cera) 24/18/11/18 Total 71
Makenzie (Meyer) 19/26/17/13 Total 66
Kathleen (Doyle) 24/36/52/32 Total 144
Alexis (Sevillian) 23/28/29/05 Total 85

These were the cumulative rebounds that were reported.

Megan 18/19/15/20 Total 72
Hannah 11/13/17/12 Total 53
Amanda 08/14/19/12 Total 53
Chase 11/07/06/09 Total 33

Judging only from these stats, I have a few general observations.

First, Megan was extremely consistent, not only scoring but rebounding as well. She led the league in both categories. Also, according to the stats for the first three games, she was shooting better than 75% from the field and 75% from the FT line. I think it's safe to say that she was the GTL MVP.

Second, the freshmen all looked good. Kathleen led the freshmen and was second only to Megan in scoring. She did shoot the ball quite a bit but she was reasonably efficient doing so. I was impressed with the 11 of 19 from '3' in the game in which she scored 52. Considering she probably had the least support from her Hawkeye teammate(s), I would give her a slight edge for the NOY (newcomer of the year) award. Among the other freshmen, Amanda tied for second in rebounds and easily averaged a double-double. She shot the ball very well from '3' in the first two games. Also, Alexis led all Hawkeyes and probably the entire league in assists, twice being credited with 10. She was credited with 29 total but very possibly had more. Not to be outdone, Makenzie and Bre were efficient with the relative few shots they attempted. Makenzie shot about 68% (15 of 22) from '2' and Bre was 8 of 14 (about 57%) from '3'. Both also had several assists and judging from the lack of accuracy, likely had more than the official stats recorded.

Finally, Chase was third in scoring. In the first three games she shot about 55% from the field (35 of 65 on 'twos' and 2 of 3 on 'threes') and 86% on 11 of 13 FT's. Hannah tied for second in rebounds and was efficient shooting from the field. In the first two games she was a combined 15 of 22 (68%) from 'two' and 8 of 22 (36%) from 'three'. Although her stats were relatively modest by comparison, I think Christina played well. I would say her best stat category was assists.

Last edited:
I've been reflecting on the combination of events that led to Doyle ending up a Hawkeye, and suspect I'll be continuing to marvel at that over the next few seasons. Although we could end up with more PG's who deserve minutes but not enough minutes for all of them.

I suspect Kathleen will play 'off' guard simply because Tania is the starting PG and the minutes there will be few (less then 10), whereas the open starting position is likely to be the 'off' guard. Of course she could back up Tania also but judging from the GTL stats, Alexis looks to be a better play-maker setting up her teammates with assists.

The competition for that replacement starting position will be fierce, with (in addition to Kathleen) Alexas, Bre, Makenzie and possibly even Christina vying to gain that starting role. (IMO, Christina will most likely be reserved to backup Ally and if Alexas continues to be plagued with injuries and/or just fails to stand out, the open starting role will go to one of the freshmen guards. Also, even if Alexas does not start, I can see an important role for her in short stints, especially late in close games and mainly offensive possessions.)

I suspect Kathleen will play 'off' guard simply because Tania is the starting PG and the minutes there will be few (less then 10), whereas the open starting position is likely to be the 'off' guard. Of course she could back up Tania also but judging from the GTL stats, Alexis looks to be a better play-maker setting up her teammates with assists.

The competition for that replacement starting position will be fierce, with (in addition to Kathleen) Alexas, Bre, Makenzie and possibly even Christina vying to gain that starting role. (IMO, Christina will most likely be reserved to backup Ally and if Alexas continues to be plagued with injuries and/or just fails to stand out, the open starting role will go to one of the freshmen guards. Also, even if Alexas does not start, I can see an important role for her in short stints, especially late in close games and mainly offensive possessions.)
I wouldn't be giving the starting job to Tania quite so quickly. Kathleen may well be one of those special players.

I wouldn't be giving the starting job to Tania quite so quickly. Kathleen may well be one of those special players.
Kathleen may indeed be one of those special players but for all I know, Tania may be one also. (Personally I think they are all special). So while from a purely theoretical POV it is certainly a possibility Kathleen could win the starting PG position from Tania, from a strictly statistical POV (with little to no inside information), it would be [not necessarily rare but] at best uncommon or unlikely (statistically less than 50%) for a returning starter to lose her role to an incoming freshman. I am not an insider so I am presuming (and applying absolute vs comparative advantage analysis to postulate) the most probable scenario from what little I know and believe. Regarding Kathleen, I believe (admittedly from what little I have observed and discerned) her to be more of a scoring guard and not so much a set-up playmaker for her teammates as compared to Tania or even Alexis (who displayed a penchant for assisting her teammates in GTL play). I certainly do think Kathleen has a very good chance (as good if not better than anyone) to win the vacated starting role left by Whitney. Then again, for all I know, that starting role could go to any of the freshmen who I think are all fairly equally special. So, as you can see, I am 'up in the air', 'sitting on the fence' and not 'going out on a limb' about what may or may not transpire individually with the Hawkeyes this next year. I just hope that it will be exciting.

Last edited:
Kathleen is a great passer and play-maker. Her GTL team didn't allow her to show it.

If healthy I think Tania has the point guard job locked up. She knows the offense, pushes tempo, & dished out 111 assists which was slightly less than Sam's freshman year (125 w/ 3 fewer games.) I see Kathleen playing a lot of minutes as a combo guard, don't think she starts but plays more than the other newcomers. I think my early season line up is Tania, Christina, Ally, Chase, & Megan.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Kathleen is a great passer and play-maker. Her GTL team didn't allow her to show it.
Although it certainly is encouraging to know that Kathleen is a great passer, I still don't know what distinguishes a great passer from one that is [for example] an excellent one or [alternately] only very good. The analysis is relative and requires a comparison to other PG's. As Jockos correctly mentions, Tania demonstrated her passing abilities last year. I will add that she accomplished her assists total without the benefit of being the full-time season starter. I think she was spectacular. In theory, the distinction between a PG and an off/shooting/wing guard is a subtle one and perhaps pertains more to half court offensive sets. In conclusion, I'm sure Kathleen's passing skills will not go to waste if she plays the shooting guard.

Last edited:
If healthy I think Tania has the point guard job locked up. She knows the offense, pushes tempo, & dished out 111 assists which was slightly less than Sam's freshman year (125 w/ 3 fewer games.) I see Kathleen playing a lot of minutes as a combo guard, don't think she starts but plays more than the other newcomers. I think my early season line up is Tania, Christina, Ally, Chase, & Megan.
You could be right about Christina. I met her in Maryland two years ago and I like her game and attitude. She is not the offensive threat that Ally is, but she works hard and is a terrific defender. The main area of improvement for her would be to cut down on her turnovers. Since that is something that typically comes with time and experience, I am confident she can do it.

I agree with you about Tania. Her recovery from surgery and continued freedom from injury is the main concern.

Last edited:
...So while from a purely theoretical POV it is certainly a possibility Kathleen could win the starting PG position from Tania, from a strictly statistical POV (with little to no inside information), it would be [not necessarily rare but] at best uncommon or unlikely (statistically less than 50%) for a returning starter to lose her role to an incoming freshman....

Three years in a row, Kali Peschel lost her starting job to a freshman.

A great passer , to me, is one that anticipates and sets up her team for good looks. And one who sees a possible pass that others don't. A player that fools the defense and gets them out of position.
Those abilities were what stood out the most in Kathleen's two state tournament games.

Reactions: hawkahawk
Three years in a row, Kali Peschel lost her starting job to a freshman.
I don't believe Peschel was a return starter in her sophomore or junior years, meaning, she didn't start regularly towards the end of her freshman or sophomore seasons. She might have been a regular starter in the latter part of her junior year. If so, she should be considered a return starter in her senior year. Cyberhawk was talking about return starter losing to incoming freshman, as is the case for Tania Davis vs. Kathleen Doyle.

What this team needs more than anything else is consistent, tenacious and smart defensive play. They will be able to score, but when you get up by 15 or more points, which happened a number of timessages last year, you need to have players that will clamp down defensively when the lead begins to evaporate. That will be the key to this team's successo as with any team, defense should ALWAYS be most important.

Ant80, if they had done what you suggest in the last season, they would have won 24 or 25 games, been in the NCAA tournament, and would have finished in the top five in the league. It IS that important.

Reactions: hawkahawk
I don't believe Peschel was a return starter in her sophomore or junior years, meaning, she didn't start regularly towards the end of her freshman or sophomore seasons. She might have been a regular starter in the latter part of her junior year. If so, she should be considered a return starter in her senior year. Cyberhawk was talking about return starter losing to incoming freshman, as is the case for Tania Davis vs. Kathleen Doyle.
Yes, Kali's circumstances were different than what I was describing. She never started as a freshman and then became the starter her first 19 games as a sophomore only to lose it to Ally midway through her sophomore year. Her junior year she started the first three games before Whitney took over and last year Tania ended up replacing her as the starter. So, in her case she never finished any season as a starter and was therefore not the returning incumbent to start the following year. Although similar careers are possibly more common than this one with Tania, I would guess that they are still the exception to the rule. Of course all this speculation presumes that the doctor(s) clear her to play and she is able to be back to 100%, which may not be a foregone conclusion. I hope for her sake she returns better than before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT