ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 16/17 Season

I made my own copy of the schedule the way I need it: The teams plus the schedule with the Iowa players clearly marked, all on one page.
There will be some interesting match-ups to watch in all three games tonight, especially Kathleen [Doyle] & Mackenzie [Meyer] and also Amanda [Ollinger] & Hannah [Stewart]. I'm hoping to read some details as early as tonight from someone who was there in person.

Once again and as always, thanks to Oakhawk for the Daily Iowan link, to conn53victor for the GTL info, and everyone else who contributes here.

Go Hawks!

There will be some interesting match-ups to watch in all three games tonight, especially Kathleen [Doyle] & Mackenzie [Meyer] and also Amanda [Ollinger] & Hannah [Stewart]. I'm hoping to read some details as early as tonight from someone who was there in person.

Once again and as always, thanks to Oakhawk for the Daily Iowan link, to conn53victor for the GTL info, and everyone else who contributes here.

Go Hawks!
Just got home,watched one half of all 3 games
Bigs Megan was a force both side of the ball really looked good. Really couldn't be stopped and seemed to dominate the boards

Chase was also very solid, looks improved really shot the ball well including 2 of 3 from the 3 and looked good doing it. Looks stronger and improved

Hannah Stewart most improved big, I think she will play a lot this year. Looked stronger and confident Rebounded and shot the ball well including 2 for 2 from 3 the half I watched.

Amanda Ollinger has the size and made some shots including a 3. On defense and rebounding really couldn't handle Hannah. She is well behind the top 3 at this point

Carly Mohns was in a full leg brace. I was really hopeful for her to be in the mix this year but who knows. Did she have more surgery?

Guards, Aly, Tia and Lexi did not play

The freshmen guards, none had great shooting nights when I watched. but some things I thought watching. Doyle and Bre Cera looked the most comfortable out there and both defended and rebounded the best I thought. Someone compared Doyle to Logic and I can see it. She looks the strongest of the new guards and was banging for rebounds.I really think Bre will be a good player for us. Played smart didn't turn the ball over and didn't take any bad shots that I noticed. Bad shots are pretty common in this league

I think Meyer would be next, good handles looked pretty good, but Doyle bothered her game more than vice versus

The new lexi is probably the quickest, not Tia Davis quick though. Was a little more out of control and least comfortable I thought more deer in the headlights.

I split time for the first two games. Megan Gustafson and Bre Cera's team won over the team with Christina Buttenham. Aly Disterhoft isn"t back yet. Megan was in beast mode, lots of points...lots of rebounds. Bre played her usual defense. she didn't shoot a lot.
In the other game it was Chase Coley and Mak Meyer winning on a buzzer beater Chase was on fire from the field and Makenzie played tough. Kathleen was hampered by a team of players that shot every time they got the ball, no team play at all. Bethany Doolittle didn't shoot well. her team added Nicole Smith (all teams added one more player to make eight).
A couple of the teams only had five show up, so a player from another team switched over.
I watched half of the late game. Hannah Stewart and Alexis Sevillian were leading over Amanda Ollinger. Hannah is in great shape, lighter and quicker. She has also been working on her outside shooting, and was hitting jump shots out to 3pt. She also rebounded and played defense on Amanda. Amanda didn't get the ball enough. Which brings me to the bad news. Alexa didn't play. She wasn't wearing the boot but her ankles are bothering her again. She was there in street clothes.
Tania was also there in street clothes. No sling or anything. She says it is fine and she will ready to go in the fall.
carly Mohns was there with a brace on her leg. She re- injured her same knee She said it wasn't as serious and she expects to be healed by the start of the coming season.
Alexis Sevillian is strong and handles it well. She can get her shots but they weren't falling tonight.
Kathleen Doyle is also solid in every phase. I hope her team allows her to create, and doesn't continue to throw up shots.
Stars of the night for me were Megan and Chase. Makenzie Meyer gets the grit award.

Reactions: Tunadog
Carly was doing so well last year before the injury. She healed very quickly and was back practicing by the end of the season. Hopefully she still has those healing powers.

Some other stats (besides the ones in the Gazette article)
Chase 38 points 11 rebounds
Megan 37 points 18 rebounds
Bre 24 points 6 assists (3-3 3pt)
Christina 19 points 12 rebounds
Amanda 27 points 8 rebounds (5-11 3pt)
Hannah 33 points 11 rebounds (4-9 3pt)
Alexis 23 points 10 assist

Last edited:
Not sure of steals but they had her with 3 rebounds. She played at the top of the key on offense, the coach had her posting up there with her back to the basket. With Megan down low, Bre fed the post a lot and Megan cleaned up the boards.

South Dakota St. and Iowa St. will be fun, and Notre Dame may be No. 1 when they come in!

UNI should also be a good game. And they have some challenges on the road.

GO, GO, GO IS THE WORD, WORD, WORD

It’s a sight to see during Game Time competition, where the Iowa players really get to shine [...]. The pace is furious at times, but the Hawkeye players rarely look out of control.

All of this is put on display during Game Time, and it makes for some really fun basketball.

It makes for a lot of scoring and a lot of possessions.

Last edited:
The first week of GTL last Wednesday had many positives for all the Iowa participants. Although the accuracy of the score keeping is questionable, there are some general observations that can be made. First, the front court of Chase, Megan and Hannah were all dominating. Megan's stats were similar to her senior season averages of 40 points and 19 rebounds. Combined they averaged 30+ points and each had at least double digits in rebounds. Also, the Freshmen all scored over 20 points, except Makenzie, who was held to ten points by Kathleen. Finally, Christina had a double double and carried her team without help from Ally.

I think the game of the week tonight should be the late game. That game will feature the match up of Megan and Hannah. They will be supported by freshmen teammates Bre (with Megan) and Alexis (with Hannah).

I will be up early in the morning to read the eye-witness accounts of the games.

Last edited:
I left at the half of Megan and Hannah's game. Hannah was playing great Defense and hitting her jump shots. She is my candidate for Most Improved. Megan got it going after awhile and started getting some looks down low and off the break.
Bre and Alexis were hot and cold.
In the best finish of the night, Amanda Ollinger hit a nothing but net, on the run, 3ptr to win her game. She diid well and made it tough on Chase. Alexa was still out with her rolled ankle. Mak Meyer was good off the dribble drive but streaky on the jumpers.
Ally Disterhoft is back, and played like Ally. Kathleen Doyle gave a valiant effort on D, but Ally has the height on her. Kathleen is kind of a mini-Ally. She is a good one.
Christina is doing very well. She is in great shape and hustling all over the court.She made some great passes and got out on the break.
Carly was there and seemed to be moving better with her cast.

KCRG had a short clip on Kathleen. They had her for 36 points and 9 rebounds.

Some stats from 7/13
Chase 24 points
Makenzie 26 points
Amanda 28 points, 14 rebounds (7-14 3pt)
Ally 32 (3-4 3pt)
Christina 26 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assist
Kathleen 36 points, 9 rebounds
Hailey 10 points
Alexis 28 points, 5 assist
Megan 37 points, 19 rebounds
Bre 18 points, 7 assist (3-4 3pt)
Hannah 24 points, 13 rebounds (4 3ptr)

Some stats from 7/13
Chase 24 points
Makenzie 26 points
Amanda 28 points, 14 rebounds (7-14 3pt)
Ally 32 (3-4 3pt)
Christina 26 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assist
Kathleen 36 points, 9 rebounds
Hailey 10 points
Alexis 28 points, 5 assist
Megan 37 points, 19 rebounds
Bre 18 points, 7 assist (3-4 3pt)
Hannah 24 points, 13 rebounds (4 3ptr)
Did Ollinger shoot many 3-pointers during high school?

I left at the half of Megan and Hannah's game. Hannah was playing great Defense and hitting her jump shots. She is my candidate for Most Improved. Megan got it going after awhile and started getting some looks down low and off the break.
Bre and Alexis were hot and cold.
In the best finish of the night, Amanda Ollinger hit a nothing but net, on the run, 3ptr to win her game. She diid well and made it tough on Chase. Alexa was still out with her rolled ankle. Mak Meyer was good off the dribble drive but streaky on the jumpers.
Ally Disterhoft is back, and played like Ally. Kathleen Doyle gave a valiant effort on D, but Ally has the height on her. Kathleen is kind of a mini-Ally. She is a good one.
Christina is doing very well. She is in great shape and hustling all over the court.She made some great passes and got out on the break.
Carly was there and seemed to be moving better with her cast.
Ian Murphy ‏@IanFromIowa
Not writing about her tonight, but based on the game time league game tonight, Hannah Stewart is going to have a huge year for #iowawbb

I agree about Hannah. I thought last year she might get more playing time than she did. I hope she gets more time this year and I believe she will.

How would you compare Kathleen to recent past players or legends?

Also, how would you compare Ally and Amanda. I think they have many similarities but certainly a few minor differences as well. And Carly has to be considered in that comparison. Even Christina. I assume they all have to practice against each other.

PS I hope that not asking too much. :)

Last edited:
I,too, thought that Hannah would play more.But she was transitioning from a post with back to the basket moves to a face up shooter. She has seen her hard work pay off. They are listing her as a Forward, but I think she might also back up Megan in the post. She is more adapted to that position than Chase is. She has strength, and now a nice looking jump shot. With her better conditioning, she has been able to grab a rebound, take off up the court, and hit a pull-up jumper. That will allow Chase to stay at a forward for the entire game.
Kathleen has a game that is similar to Ally's. She can score on the perimeter, take her defender off the dribble, plays good defense, blocks shots, is a great passer, and has a competitive fire. All traits she shares with Ally, just three inches shorter. She is wearing Samantha's number 22. She has Sam's "won't back down" attitude, but is more advanced offensively than Sam was as a FR. Just a good, all-round player that has a high game IQ.
Between Ally and Amanda , the main difference is physical strength. Ally has wiry strength. Amanda has muscle. Amanda is an inch taller, and looks like a prototypical PF. But she does like the 3pt. She is also a great rebounder, and handles the ball well for a PF type. Whereas Ally is a wing that can play the point, take players off the dribble, and hit the three.
Carly, before her injuries, was starting to remind me of Johanna Sovlerson. A player that can get wild at times but has a great deal of athletic ability. Carly can defend all five spots, hit an open three, rebound very well, and bring the ball up the court. Free throws have been her biggest drawback.
Christina is healthy (and here) this summer. She just needs to be more consistent, and work on her ball handling in traffic. She is a bit of a streaky outside shooter but isn't afraid to take a big shot without hesitation. She has been a whirlwind , all over the court, rebounding, making great passes, defending.
So, lots of depth at forward and guard. If Hannah can play Pf and back-up post, they should be solid.

Some observations from the GTL after the second week of play
First Megan:
Like her freshman year, it's hard to exaggerate or diminish her accomplishments thus far in the GTL. With an almost identical game last week to the first, she is right at her Wisconsin HS record setting senior scoring and rebounding numbers. She is currently leading the league in both scoring (37ppg) and rebounding (18.5rbs). She is 31/40 shooting from the field for 77.5% and 12/16 (75%) on FT's. Her production has been so consistent that I wouldn't be surprised if she had another similar big night tomorrow. Actually I will be surprised if she doesn't.

Next, the front court:
Chase, Megan and Hannah have combined for 70/105 shooting for 66.7% and average 32 PPG. Together they are averaging 13 rebounds. Hannah is 8/22 (36.4%) on 3-pointers. (Amanda is 12/25 (48%) on 3-pointers and is averaging 27.5 points and 11rebounds.)

The freshmen guards:
Combined, the freshmen [guards] are 56/98 (57%) shooting from inside the 3-point line and 28/58 (34.5%) from beyond the line. All four have scored in double figures for both weeks. They are averaging 23.6 PPG. Although it is notable that Kathleen leads all freshmen (including Amanda) in scoring with 30 PPG, she is scoring mostly from inside the 3-point line. Bre is 6/7 (86%) and Alexis 6/19 (31.6%) from 'three'. In addition, Alexis leads the Iowa contingent with 15 assists while Bre is second With 13. Makenzie is 13/16 (81.25%) from 'two'.

Christina is averaging a double-double with 22.5 points and 10.5 rebounds. She is also third among the Hawkeyes in assists with 11 total. Ally is Ally.

Everyone is free to interpret these observations however they wish, I am only highlighting what I think are some of the most obvious positives.

Last edited:
Looking ahead to tomorrow night, the game of the week for me is 2 vs 3. This game will not only feature Chase against Megan, but also for me personally, the top individual match of the season between Bre and Makenzie. To me they are a 'mirror image' of each other.

Top 5 for categories:
Scoring
Megan 37.0 Ally 32.0 Chase 31.0 Kathleen 30.0 Hannah 28.5
Rebounding
Megan 18.0 Hannah 12.0 Amanda 11.0 Christina 10.5 Chase 9.0
3pt %
Chase 100% (1-1) Bre 86% Amanda 48% Ally 43% Christina 35%
Total shooting %
Megan 65% Bre 60% Hailey 60% Makenzie 57% Chase 55%
Assist
Alexis 7.5 Bre 6.5 Christina 5.5 Makenzie 4.5 Chase 3.0
FT %
Chase 88% Makenzie 83% Megan 75% Amanda 72% Bre,Kathleen 67%

Top 5 for categories:
Scoring
Megan 37.0 Ally 32.0 Chase 31.0 Kathleen 30.0 Hannah 28.5
Rebounding
Megan 18.0 Hannah 12.0 Amanda 11.0 Christina 10.5 Chase 9.0
3pt %
Chase 100% (1-1) Bre 86% Amanda 48% Ally 43% Christina 35%
Total shooting %
Megan 65% Bre 60% Hailey 60% Makenzie 57% Chase 55%
Assist
Alexis 7.5 Bre 6.5 Christina 5.5 Makenzie 4.5 Chase 3.0
FT %
Chase 88% Makenzie 83% Megan 75% Amanda 72% Bre,Kathleen 67%

Bre Cera and Kathleen Doyle's free throw percentages are on the low side. Hope this is just the GTL effect.

Bre and Kathleen's FT percentages are due mostly to fatigue, I think. They do lifting before games, and then, with the small rosters, they play lots of minutes.
As far as the DI article goes, I wouldn't be so quick to count out the forwards. Ally can play either guard spot, Christina is listed as a F, Amanda and Hannah bring a lot to the court.
Kathleen has being doing well, but I wouldn't say she has been the best GTL player so far.

Seemed that Christina was playing guard late last season when AK was in the doghouse (and is AK out of the doghouse yet?).

Christina was playing on the wing, kind of a G/F spot, or third guard after PG and 2G. She doesn't have the ball handling skills to play a primary 1 or 2.
Lex wasn't really in the dog house, just wasn't playing well. She had some early success shooting the three, then started trying to be Melissa Dixon with the quick release. Melissa could do that, Alexa not so much. Her effectiveness before in her career had been taking the ball hard to the rim. She also dealt with some injuries.
I think she can be a good three point shooter. But she needs to be set and not rush.

I,too, thought that Hannah would play more.But she was transitioning from a post with back to the basket moves to a face up shooter. She has seen her hard work pay off. They are listing her as a Forward, but I think she might also back up Megan in the post. She is more adapted to that position than Chase is. She has strength, and now a nice looking jump shot. With her better conditioning, she has been able to grab a rebound, take off up the court, and hit a pull-up jumper. That will allow Chase to stay at a forward for the entire game.
Kathleen has a game that is similar to Ally's. She can score on the perimeter, take her defender off the dribble, plays good defense, blocks shots, is a great passer, and has a competitive fire. All traits she shares with Ally, just three inches shorter. She is wearing Samantha's number 22. She has Sam's "won't back down" attitude, but is more advanced offensively than Sam was as a FR. Just a good, all-round player that has a high game IQ.
Between Ally and Amanda , the main difference is physical strength. Ally has wiry strength. Amanda has muscle. Amanda is an inch taller, and looks like a prototypical PF. But she does like the 3pt. She is also a great rebounder, and handles the ball well for a PF type. Whereas Ally is a wing that can play the point, take players off the dribble, and hit the three.
Carly, before her injuries, was starting to remind me of Johanna Sovlerson. A player that can get wild at times but has a great deal of athletic ability. Carly can defend all five spots, hit an open three, rebound very well, and bring the ball up the court. Free throws have been her biggest drawback.
Christina is healthy (and here) this summer. She just needs to be more consistent, and work on her ball handling in traffic. She is a bit of a streaky outside shooter but isn't afraid to take a big shot without hesitation. She has been a whirlwind , all over the court, rebounding, making great passes, defending.
So, lots of depth at forward and guard. If Hannah can play Pf and back-up post, they should be solid.

Hannah and Carly both have had to transition from a primarily back-to-the-basket post role in HS to a more face-up, perimeter oriented role. That is not easy to do but I believe they are both athletic enough to do it. When Megan is on the bench, I think the coaches may use some special sets on offense to take advantage of Hannah's and Chase's 3-point shooting range. The question of which one is Megan's back-up is probably more germane to the defensive end.

If Ally's natural position is the '3', is Amanda a true '4' or is she somewhere in between? I also cannot dismiss the comparison of Amanda and Carly. Chase seems to be ideal for the '4' but I think that is also Hannah's natural position.

Because of the flexibility and more guard oriented nature of the roster, I believe this team will be better suited in transition and also attack in pressure situations. Perhaps it may even be possible for Iowa to apply more full court pressure themselves.

Waiting for reports from week 3 of GTL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT