ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2017-18 Season

IMO a very ugly loss to a very average Nebraska team. The offense looked totally out of sink all night and as usual we pass like we have no eyesight too often. I really think Bluder does not teach fundamentals very well. The guards quite often throw bad passes, can't shoot, do not appear to know how to make a lay up, etc. We have MG right now and that is about it, unfortunately. Everybody looks very lost half the time. Yes, I am bummed and yes I know we are missing two starters, but jeez..................

IMO a very ugly loss to a very average Nebraska team. The offense looked totally out of sink all night and as usual we pass like we have no eyesight too often. I really think Bluder does not teach fundamentals very well. The guards quite often throw bad passes, can't shoot, do not appear to know how to make a lay up, etc. We have MG right now and that is about it, unfortunately. Everybody looks very lost half the time. Yes, I am bummed and yes I know we are missing two starters, but jeez..................
The team is not playing very well right now. Its a long season and there are ebbs and flows every year. Excuses are meaningless, Players have to step forward. There is certainly no reason to second guess; players and coach are who they were three weeks ago! When teams lose, the game can become work. The Hawkeyes need to start having fun! When they do- we will too! Time to party!!!

11 players to start the season and 1 is a center that isn't ready and one is a walkon. They lose two starting guards and last week two other starting guards are out sick, Lex for sure had the stomach flu. What in the hell do some of you think's going to happen for a game or two or three? The season is a disaster now?

I also have to say that I really hate unforced turnovers - those bad passes just piss me off. Iowa really needs to cut down on their unforced TOs!

This is the one area I think that is being overlooked.

Iowa is averaging nearly 16 turnovers per game this year. In their loss at Nebraska they had 15 (which the Huskers turned into 23 points).

As a coach, you want your distributors (mainly your guards) to have at minimum a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio. Right now, the only player on the roster with that mark or better is Meyer. Doyle is close at 1.7:1, but at nearly 70 turnovers so far that number needs to be better.

In the style of offense Iowa runs, even the wings and forwards need to be good passers. Updating after last night's loss, Seveillian, Ollinger, Stewart and Coley each individually have almost as many turnovers as they do assists.

Reactions: JAMAM and hawkahawk
11 players to start the season and 1 is a center that isn't ready and one is a walkon. They lose two starting guards and last week two other starting guards are out sick, Lex for sure had the stomach flu. What in the hell do some of you think's going to happen for a game or two or three? The season is a disaster now?
Exactly. The question shouldn't be "How can we lose at Nebraska?", it should be closer to "How are we even in these games?". We have two (2!) healthy scholarship guards on the roster (a sophomore and a freshman) and they are playing nearly the entire game. It's testament to the hard work and good play of players and the coaching staff.

Maryland lost Blair Watson for the season, and now they have got blown out by Michigan State at home, and barely beat Indiana at home, which is 1 and 6 in the conference. Watson was probably their best player and killed Iowa, though I don't think she was as important to Maryland as Gustafson is to Iowa. Yeah, I'd say Iowa would have beaten Purdue if Sevillian and Doyle weren't sick, and beaten Nebraska if Meyer was playing. And, Maryland if Blair Watson got injured before the Iowa game.

Who is to blame for the lack of guards? Cera, Buttenham, Jennings, Houston. Starting to look like Lickliter's tenure. Its time to bring Vivian Stringer back.

Bluder absolutely needs to change her ways! Concussions / Broken Bones / Torn Ligaments. NO MORE EXCUSES! Girls need to toughen up and get on the court!

Player homesick? Bluder needs to move the player's entire family and all her friends to Iowa City. Player have a boyfriend she misses? Bluder needs to move the boyfriend into her basement! It's what Vivian would have done!

Reactions: BGHAWK and mphawk
Not the toughest schedule, but Neb. is now 13-6/4-2 with a fairly young roster. I did not expect them to rebuild so quickly, though I knew their coach had a good reputation at South Dakota. So maybe not as bad of a loss as we might have thought going in. And we only need 5 more wins to hit 20, plus our current RPI is 29, so we're still a good bet to make the NCAA tournament (providing our bad luck has run its course).

For those who did watch, did we play Triangle and 2? It looked like a matchup zone to me most of the game, with a couple possessions of 2-3 zone mixed in in the 4th quarter. I distinctly remember Megan guarding a player near the top of the 3 point line multiple times, which she would never do in a Triangle and 2.

Of course they switch things up. Especially on out of bounds plays. Mostly triangle and 2 for the past few games. Sevillian and Kathleen chasing.

Not the toughest schedule, but Neb. is now 13-6/4-2 with a fairly young roster. I did not expect them to rebuild so quickly, though I knew their coach had a good reputation at South Dakota. So maybe not as bad of a loss as we might have thought going in. And we only need 5 more wins to hit 20, plus our current RPI is 29, so we're still a good bet to make the NCAA tournament (providing our bad luck has run its course).

Nebraska WBB is really young and the last two recruiting classes are top 25 classes. Future looks bright, especially considering how poor the team was a year ago

Last night they said Lisa's show would be on tonight, but obviously they forgot about the men's game at 6 pm, unless it's delayed till 8:30 or so. I'm hoping for the best, but .............
It looked like the show was not on radio last night. Did it actually take place? If nobody could listen to it live on radio, it would be hard to call in, except those in the restaurant, I imagine.

Does anybody have news on Meyer's injury yet? I can't find any news about the Iowa team in the past couple of days. Nothing on Twitter either. Maybe Iowa's trying to give the Gophers a surprise.

Reactions: JAMAM
Mak was at Lincoln Elementary this morning with Jan, and a support on her hand. I'm guessing she's not ready or she's now Darth Vadar!

Reactions: r448chlpo
Does anybody have news on Meyer's injury yet? I can't find any news about the Iowa team in the past couple of days. Nothing on Twitter either. Maybe Iowa's trying to give the Gophers a surprise.

Think Lisa has presser today. Probably learn more then

Iowa could use a surprise for the Gophers, which are another team that will significantly out athlete Bluder's bunch.

They've scored over 100 4 times this season and have a similar record to ours, though not quite a tough of a schedule. Biggest surprise was a 3 point loss to San Diego. They lost at home to Nebraska and were beaten by 16 at Ohio State. If we were fully healthy I'd be optimistic, but...

Is Minnesota's center a really good free throw shooter, or did Gustafson have a momentary lapse of reason? Or was it Iowa's coaches? 5 seconds ticked away and Iowa then fouled their guard that had just made a string of free throws.

Knowing they were going to have to foul and she had four they should have had her on the bench and sub her in between free throws.
Yep, that is on the coaches. I don't know why they went with a 3 guard line up with this being Meyer's first game back. And has Sevillian hit a wall?

Encouraging game I think. Played much better than at Neb now with Mak back, and Mak appeared to be at mostly full strength with some nice steals and several assists. We just need a third scorer, be it Mak or Alexis. And we didn't have it this game.

Meyer's definitely hadn't got her shooting touch back. She had several wide open 3s that she missed them all. I'm afraid It's going to be quite some ways away.

You are correct, no player development. Why do you think BC left

Bluder absolutely needs to change her ways! Concussions / Broken Bones / Torn Ligaments. NO MORE EXCUSES! Girls need to toughen up and get on the court!

Player homesick? Bluder needs to move the player's entire family and all her friends to Iowa City. Player have a boyfriend she misses? Bluder needs to move the boyfriend into her basement! It's what Vivian would have done!
These aren’t the reasons BC left. She loved the school and teammates. Hmmm...what am I️ leaving out???

These aren’t the reasons BC left. She loved the school and teammates. Hmmm...what am I️ leaving out???
Ok, ant. I’ve been intrigued by your Bre posts. What I don’t understand is why so many other players stay.

Reactions: JAMAM
Different players react differently to certain coaching styles and after a year or two of interaction they form their opinions. That's probably why. There are three parts, during games, during practice, and off the court. Ohio State's coach is usually red faced during the games, but maybe he's very nice off the court. Geno Auriemma looks quite calm during games, but I've heard he's really tough during practice. And coaches' demeanor is but one aspect among players' expectations.

Reactions: BGHAWK
ADVERTISEMENT