ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2017-18 Season

For those who are looking for real help finding a game-watch location, here you are...

Tim Long [copied from Facebook]
I will be working at the VFW on hwy 6 in Iowa City today. The game will be on, I will not change the channel. You don't have to be a member to come in and you don't have to have a drink I just love having people around that love women's basketball as much as me.
Game time is 1PM. So, come in and join us in cheering on the Hawkeyes over stinky Illinois! if we win, I'll buy you a beer! I'll be the guy behind the bar!

I am sitting at VFW enjoying the game. And I introduced Tim to this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAMAM and cyberhawk
It certainly feels to good have under 10 turnovers a game. If only Iowa can keep it this way. It was a bit surprising though that with zero turnovers in the first quarter, Iowa still got outscored by 7 points. Fortunately Iowa steadily caught up and pulled away from Illinois the rest of the way.

Reactions: JAMAM
It certainly feels to good have under 10 turnovers a game. If only Iowa can keep it this way. It was a bit surprising though that with zero turnovers in the first quarter, Iowa still got outscored by 7 points. Fortunately Iowa steadily caught up and pulled away from Illinois the rest of the way.

I think Megan missed more shots in first five minutes than she did rest of game. Also, Illinois shot well and if they missed, they got offensive rebound. Iowa finally got going on boards.
Was worried when Joens buried two straight threes as was sure she had some extra motivation but dont think she made another one for rest of game.

I have been impressed with iowa's play in final five minutes all season. Seems like last year, you could count on them to choke a bit but havent seen that this year. They make good plays and shots to seal the win.

For those who are looking for real help finding a game-watch location, here you are...

Tim Long [copied from Facebook]
I will be working at the VFW on hwy 6 in Iowa City today. The game will be on, I will not change the channel. You don't have to be a member to come in and you don't have to have a drink I just love having people around that love women's basketball as much as me.
Game time is 1PM. So, come in and join us in cheering on the Hawkeyes over stinky Illinois! if we win, I'll buy you a beer! I'll be the guy behind the bar!

#creepy

I think Megan missed more shots in first five minutes than she did rest of game. Also, Illinois shot well and if they missed, they got offensive rebound. Iowa finally got going on boards.
Was worried when Joens buried two straight threes as was sure she had some extra motivation but dont think she made another one for rest of game.

I have been impressed with iowa's play in final five minutes all season. Seems like last year, you could count on them to choke a bit but havent seen that this year. They make good plays and shots to seal the win.
Yes! This team is so clutch! Illinois played better than anyone probably expected, but Iowa didn't panic. And pulled away when it became clutch time.

Schedule toughens now though. All good teams for the next month.
Any guesses on Makenzie's return? To me the BTN announcers sort of made it sound like she was a ways from being ready.

Mak got a soft cast (smaller and lighter). She will get checked this week for progress. Since it is her non-shooting hand, maybe back on a limited basis at first.
That was the best I have seen Illinois play this season.
Purdue up next, then at Nebraska.

I was decently impressed by Illinois’s shooting. It is a little scary to consider that had we had our normal quota of turnovers we would have had our hands full and might of been caught napping! Ugh.

It seems like Illinois always plays Iowa well in Champaign. We lost there the Sweet 16 year. And we all remember last year.

This team does seem to be able to close out games which we did not do well the last two years.

Hoping we get Makenzie back soon.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Only 7 turnovers. If they had over 20 it is probably a loss.
I've been wanting to comment on the MD game. I didn't get to see it all, but the part I saw the MD players were all over the Iowa players. Seemed kinda rough to me. There's good defense, which I'm sure MD has, but then there's allowing them to do too much.

Historically Bluder seems to bring in players who have skills which do not include giving physical play as well as it is given to them. The greater the disparity in this regard, the better Iowa has to shoot. As often as not, very physical play has overcome good shooting assuming roughly equal talent.

Historically Bluder seems to bring in players who have skills which do not include giving physical play as well as it is given to them. The greater the disparity in this regard, the better Iowa has to shoot. As often as not, very physical play has overcome good shooting assuming roughly equal talent.
Megan is very physical. That’s part of what makes her special.

Iowa's own radio announcer, Jamie Cavey, was a pretty physical center. She had the luck to battle against Minnesota's Janel McCarville, though.

Back in the day, Carly Mohns was a banger in the paint. Still intrigued whether her game against Michigan was a blip.

Thought I heard Brooks say that Mohns was under the weather for the MD game, hence the reduced minutes in that one.

Iowa is leading the nation in fewest fouls per game. That to me indicates they are not a physical team. Also, they are last in the B1G in steals but first in blocks and lowest 3pt fg%. So while the guards are not hand-checking, slapping or hacking, they are in good defensive posture and also getting their hands up and in the face of the shooters. Inside, the posts are maintaining good position to deny the pass deny the shots.

Iowa is leading the nation in fewest fouls per game. That to me indicates they are not a physical team. Also, they are last in the B1G in steals but first in blocks and lowest 3pt fg%. So while the guards are not hand-checking, slapping or hacking, they are in good defensive posture and also getting their hands up and in the face of the shooters. Inside, the posts are maintaining good position to deny the pass deny the shots.

Agreed. Iowa plays good position defense and inside players (Megan, Chase and Stewart) all defend well and avoid fouls. Avoiding fouls is a priority given the recent injuries and lack of depth. K. Doyle is very good defender but other guards lacking experience but think will improve as time goes on.

Mohns' knees were bothering her against MD. It will probably be an ongoing problem for her off and on the rest of the year.

Carly has a knee that sometimes "locks up" on her. I cringe every time she goes flying for a loose ball, or gets bumped when going for a rebound.

WBK St Johns vs Butler tonight at 6 pm central on FS2, which is 149 on Dish. Whitney Jennings for anyone interested. I'm looking forward to watching her.

I see that both the men's and women's teams apparently are going away from player bobbleheads, and are just doing them for the head coaches this year. People love the heads, but that had to be getting expensive.
Here is a player-oriented promotion that we ought to think about doing once in the next 14 months. Could we have a black Nike headband game where everyone receives one and wears it during the game? And, if that is a success, then start working on the roll up your shorts game.:)

Reactions: LinusPF
I see that both the men's and women's teams apparently are going away from player bobbleheads, and are just doing them for the head coaches this year. People love the heads, but that had to be getting expensive.
Here is a player-oriented promotion that we ought to think about doing once in the next 14 months. Could we have a black Nike headband game where everyone receives one and wears it during the game? And, if that is a success, then start working on the roll up your shorts game.:)
Yeah, that's too bad. I won't be getting the Chase Coley roll-up-your-shorts bobblehead that I really want!

Reactions: LinusPF and JAMAM
So what’s the hang up with Coley and her shorts? As long as she does defense, rebounding and scoring consistent with her role, she can wear a pair of Bluder approved pants and a baseball cap for all I care!
I genuinely want a Coley bobblehead with rolled up shorts, which would look different from all the other player bobbleheads.

Reactions: Rudolph and JAMAM
Saturday's opponent, Purdue, knocked off Rutgers 47-33. Both teams shot very poorly. They were a combined 3-34 from 3pt.

Iowa's own radio announcer, Jamie Cavey, was a pretty physical center. She had the luck to battle against Minnesota's Janel McCarville, though.
I love love love Janel McCarville. I used to do some work for the WNBA and got to know McCarville a little through the work (and Whalen, who I also love).

Janel (Lindsay, too) are amusing Twitter follows.

I think Hannah will replace Chase's spot next year in the starting line up. With Monika backing up Megan at the post.

I've been wondering about this. I wonder then if Ollinger will be a backup to Hannah because of all of the guards we will have next year along with I assume a couple of 3s

I also wonder if Tania would have an opportunity to get a 5th year. If she plays a full year next year, she will have really only played a little over 3 years total, with 2 full years and 2 half years or a little more. On the other hand, one more year may be enough for her.

I've been wondering about this. I wonder then if Ollinger will be a backup to Hannah because of all of the guards we will have next year along with I assume a couple of 3s

I also wonder if Tania would have an opportunity to get a 5th year. If she plays a full year next year, she will have really only played a little over 3 years total, with 2 full years and 2 half years or a little more. On the other hand, one more year may be enough for her.

Would be nice but I think already been stated that Tania played too many games to get medical hardship. Can always try and who knows what NCAA would do.

My opinion is that Hannah and Chase very even this year so logical she starts next year.

I think Hannah will replace Chase's spot next year in the starting line up. With Monika backing up Megan at the post.
Completely agree about Hannah. But, l believe Paula will be in the mix with Monika in the post rotation. I could see Amanda at the four also. Maybe Lisa could run some different half-court sets with her.

Would be nice but I think already been stated that Tania played too many games to get medical hardship. Can always try and who knows what NCAA would do.

My opinion is that Hannah and Chase very even this year so logical she starts next year.
They can try like you suggest to apply for a special waiver due to Tania’s unique circumstances.

They can try like you suggest to apply for a special waiver due to Tania’s unique circumstances.
Meanwhile Iowa has their hands full with a hardnosed Purdue. Nobody shooting confidently today except Gustafson. Hopefully they settle down and avoid an unsettling upset. Players need to step up in short order.

Meanwhile Iowa has their hands full with a hardnosed Purdue. Nobody shooting confidently today except Gustafson. Hopefully they settle down and avoid an unsettling upset. Players need to step up in short order.
Still not happening for Iowa. All MG, nobody else and she’s getting double and triple teamed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT