ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2017-18 Season

I think Hannah will replace Chase's spot next year in the starting line up. With Monika backing up Megan at the post.
Completely agree about Hannah. But, l believe Paula will be in the mix with Monika in the post rotation. I could see Amanda at the four also. Maybe Lisa could run some different half-court sets with her.
Haven’t seen Monika, but if the stats she is producing this year are any indication, she’ll be ahead of Paula, who doesn’t look college ready at this point.

Sevillian and Doyle having the flu this week didn't help any.
Also playing 39-40 minutes a game doesn’t help Doyle either. There were a number of exhausted Hawks out there the last quarter. Amazing that Megan could do what she did.

Both Kathleen and Lexi weren't themselves today. Didn't have their energy and strength. Both looked physically exhausted.

An unhappy outcome, but I liked that Mohns started. Hope her knees hold up and she can get a lot of minutes and put up some numbers.

I really don't like spending my life thinking about what ifs, but man ole man ( or woman ole woman) what if Dolye had not been sick, if Mayer had not been hurt, if Davis was not out for the season... it would not have taken very much to get the win today. Tough luck. Still, it is not what happens to you, as much as it is how you respond! I hope this team redoubles their resolve after this tough loss. Nice crowd support in any event.

Reactions: hawkahawk and JAMAM
Purdue was also missing a starter today, so I heard. Today's downfall was really defense, not being able to guard the 3-point shooters. I bet Sevillian and Doyle being sick contributed to that. Tough road ahead, at Nebraska and at Minnesota next week, both high scoring teams.

An unhappy outcome, but I liked that Mohns started. Hope her knees hold up and she can get a lot of minutes and put up some numbers.

I feel so bad for Carly. She would have been a very nice player if she had been health all of these last 3 years, very athletic and a rebounding machine.

I thought for the most part, maybe some problems on D, but they all played hard and for Lex and Doyle, the shots just didn't fall today. I'm not disappointed, well just a little maybe.

Every shot Doyle missed was short, if she was sick then that explains it. She also could stay with Purdue’s leading scorer and got screened a lot near the free throw line leading to a bunch of layups. Coaches didn’t adjust.

Every shot Doyle missed was short, if she was sick then that explains it. She also could stay with Purdue’s leading scorer and got screened a lot near the free throw line leading to a bunch of layups. Coaches didn’t adjust.
Hate to repeat myself, but Doyle has played almost every minute for quite a while now.

Perdue only had a total of 12 assists (Iowa had 23), yet they scored 76 points. That surely means Purdue players were able to get open in a lot of one-on-one situations. I just hope Sevillian and Doyle recover right away and Meyer be able to play soon.

Reactions: hawkahawk
I didn't see the game, but Purdue's leading scorer Keys said afterward that Iowa was playing a triangle-and-two that left her open, so she shot it. So a tactic that has worked for us before, backfired this time (in combo with our own cold 3-point shooting).

I feel so bad for Carly. She would have been a very nice player if she had been health all of these last 3 years, very athletic and a rebounding machine.

I thought for the most part, maybe some problems on D, but they all played hard and for Lex and Doyle, the shots just didn't fall today. I'm not disappointed, well just a little maybe.

When I first watched Mohns in the GTL, she struck me as a much quicker and stronger version of Kali Peschel. If she can get back to that, it would certainly be a silver lining to the cloud of Davis' and Meyers' injuries.

I know Iowa's defense struggled and Purdue had some open looks, but my gosh it's amazing over the years in CHA that players come in here with poor stats the previous games, and light it up. It's happened to the men as well, maybe more.

I know Iowa's defense struggled and Purdue had some open looks, but my gosh it's amazing over the years in CHA that players come in here with poor stats the previous games, and light it up. It's happened to the men as well, maybe more.
Curious if the Iowa coaching staff would verify that. Don’t remember the guards staying with players outside of their area.

I didn't see the game, but Purdue's leading scorer Keys said afterward that Iowa was playing a triangle-and-two that left her open, so she shot it. So a tactic that has worked for us before, backfired this time (in combo with our own cold 3-point shooting).

For those who did watch, did we play Triangle and 2? It looked like a matchup zone to me most of the game, with a couple possessions of 2-3 zone mixed in in the 4th quarter. I distinctly remember Megan guarding a player near the top of the 3 point line multiple times, which she would never do in a Triangle and 2.

Havent checked stats but I think that PU player has been good all along. She had a career game. PU shot very well and Iowa did not. Two guards were 4 for 25 or something like that. Doyle definitely off with shooting but played well as usual otherwise. Some of her assists were outstanding plays.

Keys averaging 14 and 33% from 3, was 4/5 from 3 and scored 34. I think she ws 13/19 overall, and we couldn't stop her drives for layups.

Purdue kept running a play for her where she would start at the top of the key, on the left side and start her drive. When she found a gap, she would dive and drive, When Iowa was in a zone, they could have someone step in the gap and she would pass. But most of the time there wasn't help and she would get to the rim. Cutting her off would leave a three open, Purdue shot 2-14 from three in their previous game. But they had players who hadn't been shooting well hit some big shots.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Tonight and the Purdue game are why Bluder's teams will never take the next step. Getting blown out on the road @ Nebraska tonight.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and you can choose to be negative if you want, but I still remain positive and hopeful.

Bluder provides stability, I will admit that. It is what it is though. We will never win a B1G title with her. In order to do that you have to beat Purdue and Nebraska and hope to upset the likes of Maryland.

Basketball is a game of ups and downs and blow outs aren't determined until the game is over. 5 points at the 1 min mark! I bet you thought the Minnesota football game was a blow out at half time. See how that works?

Bluder provides stability, I will admit that. It is what it is though. We will never win a B1G title with her. In order to do that you have to beat Purdue and Nebraska and hope to upset the likes of Maryland.
Blah, blah... We win both games if not for injury, which is the story not Lisa. Very soon, those words your will eat!

Worst officiated game of the season. So many touch (if that) fouls. How many fouls does Iowa average a game? Seems like they had twice the number tonight. I think the officials were making up for Nebby getting screwed out of the Michigan game. Still right there at the end though. Full strength Iowa wins tonight's game by double-digits easy.

Never is something you just can not really know for sure, but is just something you believe. If you believe the worst, that makes you a pessimist. I believe it is better to have some hopeful optimism or some faith than abject pessimism. So I say, why not just have some faith. Iowa should get Makenzie back soon and that will help with the poor 3-point shooting. It is unfortunate that Tania is out for the rest of the season.

Reactions: JAMAM
The Iowa team definitely misses the presence of Davis and Meyer. It almost looked like the game plan was to avoid three-pointers. The players intentionally did not made an effort to get into position to shoot the 3. The way things are going, and if Meyer does not come back soon, maybe Iowa should try a 1-guard lineup with Mohns and Ollinger on the court at the same time.

Worst officiated game of the season. So many touch (if that) fouls. How many fouls does Iowa average a game? Seems like they had twice the number tonight. I think the officials were making up for Nebby getting screwed out of the Michigan game. Still right there at the end though. Full strength Iowa wins tonight's game by double-digits easy.
Nebraska has to travel to IC later this month for a rematch. It is very possible Makenzie will be back by then. If so, I believe the game will have a very different outcome.

Reactions: JAMAM and hawkahawk
We've got to get points out of Doyle and Sevillian while Meyer is out. Sevillian only took 4 shots tonight.

With the current situation, I agree Doyle & Sevillian cannot have "off" games on offense. It makes the game harder for Megan, but she still puts up incredible numbers game in & out. I thought Ollinger played possibly her best game tonight which was really nice to see, active on both ends of the floor. We should know in the next couple days if Makenzie will be ready for the next game, anything will help against a very athletic & tough Minnesota team.

Reactions: JAMAM and hawkahawk
This 9 point lose could/should have been much worse. Nebraska was 17-35 (48.6%) from the free throw line. That’s awful.

We've got to get points out of Doyle and Sevillian while Meyer is out. Sevillian only took 4 shots tonight.
I'm afraid Sevillian's may have hit a Freshman wall. With departures and injuries she's jumped five other guards on the depth chart. Not only was she trust into the lineup, she's playing nearly 40 minutes. That's a whole lot to ask.

Reactions: JAMAM
One good thing about the team has been rebounding. Through 6 conference games, Iowa was outrebounded once by 3 at Illinois, tied with Maryland, and outrebounded the other 4 teams by double digits or close to double digits. Hope they can keep that going.

I'm afraid Sevillian's may have hit a Freshman wall. With departures and injuries she's jumped five other guards on the depth chart. Not only was she trust into the lineup, she's playing nearly 40 minutes. That's a whole lot to ask.
Is it the wall, or could she still be feeling the effects of the flu (from previous comments I believe she and Doyle had the flu). Neither one of them hit their shots tonight - second game in a row. Is Doyle having a Sophomore slump (2-11 tonight and her shooting at home against Purdue was also bad)? Both are still playing hard. Kathleen didn’t seem to hesitate taking a shot, but Lexi did. Or are they just tired from a short bench, some being sick, and quick turnarounds (obviously game against Purdue doesn’t count as quick)? Maybe we’ll find out against the Gophers.

I also have to say that I really hate unforced turnovers - those bad passes just piss me off. Iowa really needs to cut down on their unforced TOs!

Reactions: BGHAWK and JAMAM
This 9 point lose could/should have been much worse. Nebraska was 17-35 (48.6%) from the free throw line. That’s awful.
That Iowa was 0-7 from 3 and Nebraska made 9 as well as the FT discrepancy (only 17 FTs to NEs 35). Even if we had made the 6 we missed we would have lost by 3. The missed 3s and lack of 3s killed us. They played great D on Lexi and pretty much didn’t give her an open look. On the few brief times she did have a look, she didn’t shoot.

The flu runs hard for 10 days in this state and I wonder if teams are now less concerned with stopping MG (because they can't) and more focused on limiting us on the perimeter? Make us 1 dimensional.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT